• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

TheOddOne

Where did Gui go?
He sent me this via twitter:

jwTIOmkkyDGPg.png

He still lurks GAF, I think.

You're a good person, my friend.... you're a good person. So don't feel bad! Rejoice because the Xbox One will have portuguese and I'm happy about it!
:D

Nirvana

First time playing through Halo 2 on Legendary for a while, probably my 11th run of the game or so on Legendary and it's still a pain in the balls. Elites can spawn as blue/red/ultra which is frustrating - especially when they are ultras, enemies have a tendency to spawn in weird locations, I had forgotten how absurd the Jackel snipers are, the 360 glitch where the screen gets an image burned onto it is a pain because you can't see, the Brutes on Gravemind not dropping Carbines, and worst of all (and this goes for CE Legendary as well) the checkpoints are fucking TERRIBLE.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason for the checkpoints whatsoever. I can kill every enemy in the area and not get it, then sprint through and get it, or vise versa. I hope this is a OG Xbox/360 error and the checkpoints will work properly on H2A.

Enemies have been doing weird things as well, which they never used to do. Enemies following me from previous parts of the level on The Arbiter, 3/4 elites spawning after the honour guards at the start of Regret instead of 2 with a 3rd later and the grunts on Gravemind that are passively running following me into the next room and aggroing. Really weird stuff. Having played through the game so many times I'm starting to wonder if they've become self-aware.

But yeah, checkpoints...fix em.

Fuchsdh

First time playing through Halo 2 on Legendary for a while, probably my 11th run of the game or so on Legendary and it's still a pain in the balls. Elites can spawn as blue/red/ultra which is frustrating - especially when they are ultras, enemies have a tendency to spawn in weird locations, I had forgotten how absurd the Jackel snipers are, the 360 glitch where the screen gets an image burned onto it is a pain because you can't see, the Brutes on Gravemind not dropping Carbines, and worst of all (and this goes for CE Legendary as well) the checkpoints are fucking TERRIBLE.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason for the checkpoints whatsoever. I can kill every enemy in the area and not get it, then sprint through and get it, or vise versa. I hope this is a OG Xbox/360 error and the checkpoints will work properly on H2A.

Enemies have been doing weird things as well, which they never used to do. Enemies following me from previous parts of the level on The Arbiter, 3/4 elites spawning after the honour guards at the start of Regret instead of 2 with a 3rd later and the grunts on Gravemind that are passively running following me into the next room and aggroing. Really weird stuff. Having played through the game so many times I'm starting to wonder if they've become self-aware.

But yeah, checkpoints...fix em.

I think the checkpoints are just the nature of the game. I know lots of people complain bitterly about getting into "unwinnable" checkpoints in CE, although I've never had them myself (then again I also say CE is the easiest Legendary Halo game save for ODST.)

Nirvana

I think the checkpoints are just the nature of the game. I know lots of people complain bitterly about getting into "unwinnable" checkpoints in CE, although I've never had them myself (then again I also say CE is the easiest Legendary Halo game save for ODST.)

Nah Halo 3 is the easiest for sure; after ODST obviously. Halo CE is really methodical, like people saying the Library is hard when really it just tests your patience; you just spend the last few levels of the game walking forwards, waiting for enemy spawns, walking backwards and then blasting flood with the shotgun - then clean up the infection forms with the AR. That's like, the whole second half of the game. Keyes and Attack on the Control room were brutal for me though, just due to bad checkpoints again, where I would have 1 point of health. The health system makes the game awful at certain points.

I'm not saying this as a first time Halo 2 Legendary player, I'd hazard I've played through it much more than most people, and I'm just noting how inconsistent it is with my previous experiences. Just randomly not getting a checkpoint for ages, then dying and getting it where I was supposed to the first time (as I remember it from previous playthroughs). Maybe my disc is just getting old, although it is my second copy of the game after stepping on the first...and I had to get the Collector's addition...

Level of difficulty I think it goes:

Halo 2
Halo Reach
Halo CE
Halo 4
Halo 3
ODST

EDIT: On the topic of 'unwinnable' checkpoints, I did get one where my Scorpion fell off a cliff and it checkpointed midway through the fall, after about 50 instant deaths I managed to manoeuver my way out of it...but it wasn't fun.

Brojito

Neo Member
There was a decent amount of technically-floating stuff in the Halo trilogy, but most of it had something resembling a practical purpose. In Halo 1, 343GS and sentinels float for travel, and there are floating elevators on AotCR/TB, 343GS, and Library; the only other floaty thing that immediately comes to mind are the spinny things in the shaft at the start of AotCR. Things also generally felt more "solid", as Forerunner structures weren't just phasing in and out and pretending to be Optimus Prime.

I seriously hate that floaty-pieces-everywhere Forerunner aesthetic that 4 introduced. The Didacts armor in particular stood out to me as exceptionally stupid. What do those floating pieces even do??

Halo's original Forerunner aesthetics were so good because they felt ancient and mysterious, which was helped by the fact that they were mostly so simple, IMO. Very geometric and not flashy.

I don't know who in 343 decided that all Forerunner tech should have glowing lines and random floating pieces, but for me it honestly ruined any kind of uniqueness the race had. Random floating pieces and glowing lines is like the blandest possible "they're super advanced but we don't know how else to show it" aesthetic. Absolutely no reason or purpose behind most of it.

Besides, how does it make sense that these:

Promethean-Knight.png

Came from the same race that created these:

Sentinel.jpg

Especially when there was already concept art for things like this, that looks miles better than the Forerunner designs in 4:

300px-Forerunner_-_Combat_Suit.png

jem0208

Especially when there was already concept art for things like this, that looks miles better than the Forerunner designs in 4:

I dunno, that concept art kinda looks like generic sleek alien to me.

I prefer the design in 4. It's a bit more original.

Although I do admit the design in 4 is quite reminiscent of a Transformer.

Also the weapon design in 4 was bloody great. The reload animations of the Promethean weapons was awesome.

Edit: Bloody phone autocorrect.

I definitely hope that's the case, this guy isn't inspiring much confidence though:

KJPpO4Wl.jpg

Cortana had the same wings in her back so.....

I seriously hate that floaty-pieces-everywhere Forerunner aesthetic that 4 introduced. The Didacts armor in particular stood out to me as exceptionally stupid. What do those floating pieces even do??

Halo's original Forerunner aesthetics were so good because they felt ancient and mysterious, which was helped by the fact that they were mostly so simple, IMO. Very geometric and not flashy.

Floating stuff means it have great power and defy the natural laws of physic.

aj1467

What if the floaty/non floaty design is a way to differentiate between aesthetics tastes of different Forerunner rates?

The halo array and the arks were designed by the Builders, and iirc Requiem was the base for the Didact even back during the human-forerunner war. So maybe architecture with tons of floaty bits and moveable sections are traits of Warrior-Servant design?

I think they already have quite varied differences in physical appearance, armour/clothing and ceremonial headdresses between each rate. So I don't see why it couldn't apply to architecture as well.

Brojito

Neo Member
I dunno, that concept art kinda looks like generic sleek alien to me.

I prefer the design in 4. It's a bit more original.

Although I so admit the design in 4 is quite reminiscent of a Transformer.

Also the weapon design in 4 was bloody great. The release animations of the Promethean weapons was awesome.

Still, aesthetically, it's much more in line with the Forerunner looks from the previous Halo games. It's a good concept, I think.

The Promethean design in 4, though... I don't think "original" is the right word. Nothing about that Knight remotely says "Halo" or "Forerunner" to me. It's big and clunky with weird seams and glowing lines everywhere and looks vaguely like some big beetle thing. And orange everywhere.

Cortana had the same wings in her back so.....

Floating stuff means it have great power and defy the natural laws of physic.

Because... why? Whats the point of the floaty stuff? There is none. It visibly serves no functional purpose.

On the subject of the MCC, I'm hoping they aren't "touching up" the Forerunner levels and applying the same aesthetic to them.

blinkz

Halotracker was you huh? Awesome. Welcome.

Yeah it was fun for a bit but the people complaining about every little thing got old pretty quick. No regrets on it tho and to their credit they managed to stay the course while most halo sites wasted away after the H4 population went downhill.

Anyways I am super excited for MCC and getting back into Halo again.

I once had a check-point after killing a Scarab. Half a second later one of the scarab legs splattered me. Over and over...

Halo 3, The Ark.

Ive done my fair share of shitting oh halo 4, but playing it now for the first time in months and since the update. There is some solid gunplay here, provided you get good settings/gametypes.

No one ever votes legendary BRs

CyReN

So wait is RTX campaign only for H2A? or did they just confirm LAN? Can't imagine hooking up so many boxes on live.

Mix

So wait is RTX campaign only for H2A? or did they just confirm LAN? Can't imagine hooking up so many boxes on live.

they said gameplay demo, I'm kinda thinking an extended LAN version of what was shown for MP on Ascension at E3

"Gameplay demo", so that might mean the campaign spot we saw at E3.

Maybe the supersecretafterparty that Stinkles will invite AustinGAF to will have multiplayer

Fuchsdh

I don't know who in 343 decided that all Forerunner tech should have glowing lines and random floating pieces, but for me it honestly ruined any kind of uniqueness the race had. Random floating pieces and glowing lines is like the blandest possible "they're super advanced but we don't know how else to show it" aesthetic. Absolutely no reason or purpose behind most of it.

Besides, how does it make sense that these:

Promethean-Knight.png

Came from the same race that created these:

Sentinel.jpg

I personally like both designs. Insofar as what we've seen I think that the Knights actually mesh fairly well with the older Forerunner stuff, the only difference being they have a bit more curves (and in general, 343's Forerunner stuff has been less angular overall.)

The Warrior-Servants we see in Halo 4's terminals seem to me much more Forerunnery than that concept art, personally.

Count me in as a fan of Halo 4's Forerunner architecture. Halo 2 was the worst IMO because it looked too archaic and similar to what can be seen in our reality (ie: Mayan temples).

I personally like both designs. Insofar as what we've seen I think that the Knights actually mesh fairly well with the older Forerunner stuff, the only difference being they have a bit more curves (and in general, 343's Forerunner stuff has been less angular overall.)

The Warrior-Servants we see in Halo 4's terminals seem to me much more Forerunnery than that concept art, personally.

Aside from being more angular, I personally would have preferred much more humanoid Knights so the Prometheans... are made...
of people would have seem more interestingly foreshadowed. "This feels sort of like I'm fighing humans... oh shit I totally was!"
Instead we got space beetles.

Count me in as a fan of Halo 4's Forerunner architecture. Halo 2 was the worst IMO because it looked too archaic and similar to what can be seen in our reality (ie: Mayan temples).

I just remember those temple textures looking like total ass, even in 2004.

Fuchsdh

I think the odder thing is that the temple structures don't make much sense. Cortana mentions them being built "to honor" the old ones, IIRC, but even back then it seemed weird you'd have old ruins on a Halo, and 343 certainly didn't make it any more sensical.

daedalius

While I think the Prometheans could have looked different, I'd rather they not just look like Geth.

I was pretty pleased with the new take on the architecture.

jem0208

Still, aesthetically, it's much more in line with the Forerunner looks from the previous Halo games. It's a good concept, I think.

The Promethean design in 4, though... I don't think "original" is the right word. Nothing about that Knight remotely says "Halo" or "Forerunner" to me. It's big and clunky with weird seams and glowing lines everywhere and looks vaguely like some big beetle thing. And orange everywhere.

I feel the forerunner stuff in previous halos looked more like ancient ruins though rather than the creations of an all powerful galactic empire.

The stuff in 4 looks far more alive.

I think the odder thing is that the temple structures don't make much sense. Cortana mentions them being built "to honor" the old ones, IIRC, but even back then it seemed weird you'd have old ruins on a Halo, and 343 certainly didn't make it any more sensical.

In thursday war the huragok says the structures are just simply shelter houses.

TheXbox

Dude, those ruins on Delta Halo were awesome. I like the idea of Forerunners being a little more into nature than they're usually portrayed.

Brojito

Neo Member
I feel the forerunner stuff in previous halos looked more like ancient ruins though rather than the creations of an all powerful galactic empire.

The stuff in 4 looks far more alive.

Guess it's just a matter of taste, then. Personally, I like the ancient ruins look far better than the glowing, floating architecture of 4, which I think is a bit generic. It's an all-powerful galactic empire that was also ancient and disappeared a long time ago.

Did they ever actually explain those ruins on Delta Halo? I actually liked them, I just thought the aesthetic was an interesting change.

jem0208

Guess it's just a matter of taste, then. Personally, I like the ancient ruins look far better than the glowing, floating architecture of 4, which I think is a bit generic. It's an all-powerful galactic empire that was also ancient and disappeared a long time ago.

Did they ever actually explain those ruins on Delta Halo? I actually liked them, I just thought the aesthetic was an interesting change.

I like the ruins as well. But it does make sense that the new stuff isn't ruins. Considering that this forerunner stuff isn't ancient.

I feel very similarly. Original Forerunner style [and the forerunner suit concept art, but that's a different matter] > bionicle forerunners.

Top Bottom