• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF Tourney 2012

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
i dont get it. you guys make a halo tourney thread where its too late for anyone to join?

It was all in HaloGAF and then it started to really clutter up the thread so they started a thread. Should be moved to community side...

Overdoziz

Banned
A GAF-wide tournament would have to be separated into a European ladder and a US ladder for the sake of time zones/people's work schedules.

That would get rid of a lot of the headaches.
And it being a 2v2 instead of 4v4 would help a lot too.

789shadow

Banned
For Team 789shadow vs. Team Senador:

Odysseus can play any day after 7pm EST
BigShow can play today between 8 and 9PM EST and after 1AM EST, Friday at 10AM EST, Saturday from 10 to 1PM EST, and on Sunday from 9 to 1PM EST and after 7PM EST.
Napsta can play Friday after 10:30 EST, not at all on Saturday, and all day Sunday.
I can play whenever.

this sucks, let other people in

I'll be honest, I think the HaloGAF tourney has been enough of a clusterfuck so far, that a GAF wide Halo tournament would be nearly impossible to organise.

I registered/entered, got left out of a tier/stat listing because I hadn't posted for a while, reconfirmed by interest in playing, got put into a team with a captain etc. Heard nothing for a couple of days besides the scheduling rules etc. Asked a couple of times who my captain was so I could organise some shit, then came back to find that I was no longer playing in the tournament for whatever reason (I assume my team was dissolved because there were a few others no longer in a team roster). Then when I asked what happened, nothing. Last thing I saw mentioned was someone saying they might be a player down and monsterfracas replies with "ask that Stripper13 guy".

Very frustrating.

Overdoziz

Banned
I'll be honest, I think the HaloGAF tourney has been enough of a clusterfuck so far, that a GAF wide Halo tournament would be nearly impossible to organise.

I registered/entered, got left out of a tier/stat listing because I hadn't posted for a while, reconfirmed by interest in playing, got put into a team with a captain etc. Heard nothing for a couple of days besides the scheduling rules etc. Asked a couple of times who my captain was so I could organise some shit, then came back to find that I was no longer playing in the tournament for whatever reason (I assume my team was dissolved because there were a few others no longer in a team roster). Then when I asked what happened, nothing. Last thing I saw mentioned was someone saying they might be a player down and monsterfracas replies with "ask that Stripper13 guy".

Very frustrating.
That's why we needed a thread from the beginning. In the HaloGAF thread you have to wade through hundreds of posts.

Fracas

#fuckonami

Very frustrating.

I know it's frustrating. I apologize. Problem was, on your team, 2 people dropped out. Your other teammate hadn't posted in quite some time. The other teams that were going to get their game done early, like Plywood v Stalker, didn't have a time they could play before the rest of the tourney began. If we need any alternates, and I bet we will, I know who to contact.

But yeah, I made plenty of mistakes organizing this. Luckily, if we can pull this off, I see many more tourneys in the future, and we know what not to do now.

edit: Also, I PMed a mod to move this thread to community, but I don't think he saw it.

I know it's frustrating. I apologize. Problem was, on your team, 2 people dropped out. Your other teammate hadn't posted in quite some time. The other teams that were going to get their game done early, like Plywood v Stalker, didn't have a time they could play before the rest of the tourney began. If we need any alternates, and I bet we will, I know who to contact.

But yeah, I made plenty of mistakes organizing this. Luckily, if we can pull this off, I see many more tourneys in the future, and we know what not to do now.

edit: Also, I PMed a mod to move this thread to community, but I don't think he saw it.

I wasn't calling anyone out, least of all you fracas. I know better than anyone how quick that thread can move and how inconsistently some people post - and it only gets worse trying to pick posts out in the flood of posts from the 'regulars'. I'm just saying, a tournament that has to rely on so many factors (skill/tiers, captain/team autonomy, timezones, scheduling etc) was always going to be an issue. It would be ridiculous to try a GAF wide tournament until some sort of math/engineering genius can design a scheduling/tier system that miraculously works for everyone.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I wasn't calling anyone out, least of all you fracas. I know better than anyone how quick that thread can move and how inconsistently some people post - and it only gets worse trying to pick posts out in the flood of posts from the 'regulars'. I'm just saying, a tournament that has to rely on so many factors (skill/tiers, captain/team autonomy, timezones, scheduling etc) was always going to be an issue. It would be ridiculous to try a GAF wide tournament until some sort of math/engineering genius can design a scheduling/tier system that miraculously works for everyone.

I have a few ideas I'll try next time. Definitely going to make the thread early on. Also going to separate people based on radically different time zones (although this isn't as big an issue as I thought it'd be).

Also, do any teams have matches definitively scheduled?

789shadow

Banned
I have a few ideas I'll try next time. Definitely going to make the thread early on. Also going to separate people based on radically different time zones (although this isn't as big an issue as I thought it'd be).

Also, do any teams have matches definitively scheduled?
I'm trying to get confirmation from my team for sometime after 7PM EST on Sunday. Once I have that, I'll see what senador can do.

Aggrotek

I think the biggest problem is some of the members not responding. If everyone was paying attention to their PMs and schedules this wouldn't be an issue. Fracas has done everything he can to help everyone, there is a bit of personal responsibility here.

JohnCha, I'm pretty much available anytime in the next 3 days. friday night between 6 and 8 EST is about the only iffy time. but it can work if that's the only time we can get both teams together.

heckfu

Banned
I'd 2v2 with ZF, you and heckfu; I just don't know how pleased the rest of our respective teams would be.

Those 2v2's I did with you Over... those were fun. Also your maps are gud, they should be in MM. Need moar customs.

Well if they dont check often enough to see when games are it's not really up to them. I sincerely think Over and I would be outmatched in a 2v2 but I'm down with it.

Online now.

senador

Banned
Shit, I've been busy so haven't had time to coordinate this for our team. Its gonna be a bitch to get my team's time worked out a time the other team can also play. Shit.

Homeboyd

I'd say give fracas a break but it appears you understand the fault falls more on your end than his. I've organized these things before and it's impossible for him to keep up with everyone and track you down after you've signed up for a tournament that requires consistent attention to the thread but instead stopped posting for a while. Not sure if he reached out to you via PM (although he shouldn't have to), but it's really up to you to keep up with everything going on with the tourney, or bow out for others who will.

Just noticed you said it was very frustrating for you when you have no idea how much more frustrating it is for him to try to get every single person to hold up their end of the bargain and participate in something they said they'd participate in. Especially when they go on an unannounced posting hiatus in the middle of scheduling.

lilty

Just wondering, would I be able to join in as a substitute? Just got accepted and would love to participate.

senador

Banned
I'm currently shooting for Sunday at sometime after 7PM EST.

Bah. The only times most of my team is available is:

Friday 6-9pm PST (senador, tawpgun, kittens)
Saturday 3-7pm PST (senador, tawpgun, kittens)

Loginius is in Germany so doesn't really line up with the rest of us. I'm not sure what to do.

Sending some PMs to try one more time.

Top Bottom