• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hannibal S3 |OT| Man Destroys God. Hannibal Eats Man. Hannibal Inherits The Earth.

Is there a more exquisitely shot TV show? Nope.

The premiere delivered. The dinner scene with the poet, the psychology with Bedelia, the barbed exchanges with his victims...Hannibal is back and the world is a better place for it.

Akahige

Intriguing episode, not much plot but the charactertizion shown in this should build into something interesting throughout the season.

The music is better than ever.

Feran

Was this ep somehow darker than last season? I feel like they were using black shadows like a Caravaggio painting.

Johndoey

Banned
I love that Izzard's character doesn't fear Hannibal in their scenes together so he pretty just insults and demeans Hannibal and his efforts. Seeing a character treat Hannibal less like an omnipotent god is kinda refreshing.

Man, first of all, great return for Hannibal. A little confusing at parts and perhaps a bit too rhetorical, but otherwise good.

Florence is beautiful

Great episode, I love how the show is progressively becoming more "indulgent" and abstract as it goes on, there's nothing else like it on TV. The score and cinematography continues to improve as well, the lusher, darker, renessaince inspired color pallete is a perfect match for the show.

Well...we're back.

tumblr_lz94zbR7G41qmfoslo1_400.gif

Mariolee

I couldn't really enjoy this episode because I'm in a relatively loud place. D:

Man, I thought these shots couldn't get anymore beautiful but the switching of aspect ratios from flashback to the present was a great choice and made it feel like watching a Christopher Nolan movie when it switches to IMAX. It really accentuates the fuller (heh) view of the 16:9 ratio TV has. It's hard for me to put into words as I don't really know much TV lingo, but I hope that made sense.

Hungry for more. Really was kinda interested in how that Poet guy was gonna screw with Hannibal, but Hannibal and Bedelia aren't going to have any of that.

The most stunning shot of the episode: the heart. Gatdam.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
That arm gesture when Hannibal turns back to his audience after his long Italian speech. He's having far too much fun right now. Waiting for gifs

Turin

Banned
Excellent as expected. The scene's with Gideon were my favorite. I enjoyed his interactions with Anthony who to me seemed to agitate Hannibal as he was no Will Graham. I miss Will as much Hannibal does. lol

~Kinggi~

Banned
This episode confirmed Hannibal still got it. It still got the stuff. The hot stuff.

I didnt see the preview and thats for the best. This season will be amazing i am a prophet confirmed.

Absolutely loved it but I was a bit confused by the interplay between Bedlia and Hannibal. Perhaps it was because I too only caught about every third word but can someone help enlighten me as to what exactly Bedila is doing there? Does she want to leave and is under his control? Is she enjoying it all and feels remorse? I haven't watched the previous seasons again so perhaps I'm a little lost because of that as well

kirblar

Absolutely loved it but I was a bit confused by the interplay between Bedlia and Hannibal. Perhaps it was because I too only caught about every third word but can someone help enlighten me as to what exactly Bedila is doing there? Does she want to leave and is under his control? Is she enjoying it all and feels remorse? I haven't watched the previous seasons again so perhaps I'm a little lost because of that as well
Bedelia was intensely curious, and has gotten in far over her head as she's far too close to it for personal comfort now.

This episode was incredible. Nothing else currently on television is touching this show in any respect.

The parallels between Hannibal and Bedelia, the imagery of the blood slinking down the drains (and the cinematography in general), those chilling final scenes. Best show technically and artistically. The rest didn't even try.

Kuroyume

Banned

She sits in front of the camera at the train station because she wants them to notice her. Which is also why she wears those really stylish outfits that stick out. I think when that guy they had over for dinner made a comment about how the Romans fed their animals oysters etc to make their food tastier, which was also what Hannibal was feeding Bedilia, she really got the message.

The Talented Dr Lecter is what this episode should have been called. Absolutely loved how chilling Hannibal is "out in the open", so to speak. Mads Mikkelsen just oozes a whole new persona layered on top (or shedding the top layer off) of what we saw last season, and he just comes off as so much creepier now that he's dispensed with human pleasantries.

Gillian Anderson was great as usual as Bedelia. Love they've basically placed her at her utmost vulnerable in this episode. You know that she's damaged and still fighting Hannibal's influence, but there's underlying curiosity that she needs to sate, even as Hannibal is murdering a man in front of her.

The visuals. My God, the cinematography and sets in this episode were a joy to behold. The move to Europe really breathed new life into Hannibal. Still surrealistically dreamlike and nightmarish, but just in a completely different way.

I have literally spent the last two weeks rewatching Hannibal Seasons 1 and 2, and this literally did feel like a totally different show and also an evolution.

So goddamn good.

Oh, and Gideon! Those flashbacks of Gideon's final days and final meals were great. I love how there's finally just someone totally unrestrained in how they talk to Hannibal, and he just snarks the everloving fuck outta the guy. It was great.

Plus, it seems to have made Hannibal think.

That intro seemed like a nod to Kill Bill vol. 1 & 2, haha.

Bedelia has clearly become a hostage by her own volition. Interesting/scary that she's kind of quietly seeking help.

Oyster dinner scene was so uncomfortable, it was funny.

Music= perfect.

Visuals= gorgeous.

Gideon + Hannibal= brilliant. It's almost as if he was seeking therapy from Gideon before he killed him completely.

I can see where some people might not be impressed with this first episode. It was definitely not made for new comers. The events and progression of the past 2 seasons are still fresh, so it all made sense. It's also obvious why the artsy shots might be too much. Hannibal is over indulging himself now and this is being transferred over to the viewers. There's many ways to present violence and murder. They're making it look like something beautiful, but you know it's wrong.

And yeah, Florence is as beautiful and sexy as it looks.

Monocle

I can't believe how lucky we are to experience this show after it's developed and matured over two full seasons. The rich drama of tonight's episode simply wouldn't be possible without all the steps we took to get here.

Watching Hannibal slowly shed his human skin, leading us to a point where hearing him speak openly of killing really means something, and seeing him kill has actual impact. Coming to know how this specific incarnation of the character insinuates himself into the lives he comes in contact with, transforming his social encounters into high tension chess games where any moment could bring the fatal move. Seeing Hannibal's history with Bedelia and Dr. Gideon (two wonderful characters I never expected spend so much time with) and having the weight of that history ratchet up the drama of present events and flashbacks alike.

This show is in a class by itself.

God, I wish they had a three some.
Haha, seriously.

Hamlet

Fantastic start to the season and so many gorgeous scenes.
The flashbacks with Gideon as he slowly gets eaten away by Hannibal were morbid as hell. Full of great lines also "It's only cannibalism if we're equals" heh and loved this little burn from Gideon "If only that company could be Will Graham."

Top Bottom