• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hannibal S3 |OT| Man Destroys God. Hannibal Eats Man. Hannibal Inherits The Earth.

Siegcram

Also, how fucked is that Professor? Hannibal already has a low rudeness-tolerance, but that dude is really pushing it.

Also, how fucked is that Professor? Hannibal already has a low rudeness-tolerance, but that dude is really pushing it.

I was almost expecting him to be the (Hannibal movie/book spoilers)
disemboweled victim a la the inspector, but they did already cast the inspector, so I'm not sure how he'll go.
I don't see him lasting long, though, haha.

Kevin

Keeping with tradition of nobody watching good shows, Hannibal bombed in ratings (far below the canceled Constantine) at 2.62 million which is a lot lower then season 2 received despite a bigger advertising push.

I can see this show being canceled after this season. For some reason the American audience simply won't watch this show. I know I can't get many of my own friends to even give it a try.

Keeping with tradition of nobody watching good shows, Hannibal bombed in ratings (far below the canceled Constantine) at 2.62 million which is a lot lower then season 2 received despite a bigger advertising push.

I can see this show being canceled after this season. For some reason the American audience simply won't watch this show. I know I can't get many of my own friends to even give it a try.

Fuck you, America.

Siegcram

url

It is a summer show that has moved around timeslots and has never been all that popular. On top of that, it is probably overwhelmingly not watched live. If NBC didn't already expect this, I'd be quite surprised.

Kevin

It will probably be replaced by another generic police procedural that will get three times the ratings. I love Lucry reruns average 6.4 million weekly on CBS (not even joking).

Johndoey

Banned
It will probably be replaced by another generic police procedural that will get three times the ratings. I love Lucy reruns average 6.4 million weekly on CBS (not even joking).

I Love Lucy is a far superior show to Hannibal and its already established classic so the numbers make sense.

Window

That was very different than what I was expecting and it was great. As far as aesthetical concerns go, this was the show at its best. The visuals have always been great but I think the use of Lynch-esque sound in this episode finally reached what they had been aiming for over the past seasons (which didn't click with me till now). Hannibal still has too many punch lines played to the audience than I'd like though.

Edit: Also if this episode resembles the tone and style of the rest of the season, I don't see th ratings getting better as this was the show at perhaps its least accessible.

It will probably be replaced by another generic police procedural that will get three times the ratings. I love Lucry reruns average 6.4 million weekly on CBS (not even joking).

Despite his quality, is not a show for everyone, specially not for the masses, and probably is in the wrong network.

Great episode anyway :)

*sigh*

I'm going to enjoy every last frame of it while it lasts. I'm ecstatic that we'll
be getting Red Dragon this season
. Hopefully that's drawn to a conclusion by the finale. I'd have to have it unresolved with little to no prospect of a 4th season if the ratings continue as is.

Despite his quality, is not a show for everyone, specially not for the masses, and probably is in the wrong network.

Great episode anyway :)

It belongs on an HBO or Showtime. Hell, even as a Netflix series I believe it would see more success.

Ugh. Last season I thought was going to be THE season, and this season I thought the same. That sucks.

I still feel good about the chances of it being picked up elsewhere, of course. NBC doesn't deserve this.

This was a terrible hop-on point, and no matter how much positive word of mouth it gets, new viewers just aren't going to latch on unless they want to give it the time and attention needed to latch on.

So far as the episode itself goes - it was good, but it wasn't a great one. Loved the atmosphere of it. But again - a mildly meandering tone piece whose theme is essentially "ethics become aesthetics" isn't a real audience grabber. I'm inclined to agree with JohnDoey when he says this might have been the show at it's least accessible.

Oh, it was absolutely the show at its least accessible. From those early reviews/impressions that said it was Hannibal at its best, I was hoping it would mean its most appealing...but later reviews, and the episode itself, confirmed it was more Hannibal at its most Hannibal, for better or worse.

purg3

slept with Malkin
This was a terrible hop-on point, and no matter how much positive word of mouth it gets, new viewers just aren't going to latch on unless they want to give it the time and attention needed to latch on.

So far as the episode itself goes - it was good, but it wasn't a great one. Loved the atmosphere of it. But again - a mildly meandering tone piece whose theme is essentially "ethics become aesthetics" isn't a real audience grabber. I'm inclined to agree with JohnDoey when he says this might have been the show at it's least accessible.

I can see someone who was wanting to give the series a shot, tuning in last night and changing the channel after about 10 minutes.

It was a good episode, and I enjoyed it but yeah. Good luck if you were watching for the first time.

And I agree with previous comments, this show is more suited for Netflix or HBO

Before this show is cancelled on NBC. I hope HBO picks it up or Netflix or some online thing or they could to the shitty thing and do what nick did with Legend of Korra

I still want GDT directed Episode(s)

Window

Unless he said it earlier in the thread, that was me. Just because I don't have an avatar doesn't mean I don't exist dammit!

Moff

so, nobody thought they changed hannibal as a character in this? I feel he was much less likeable than before.
killing someone to get a job? abducting and abusing a woman? he felt very different to me, in a bad way.

Anth1888

Well, it's big overseas, so Netflix might be a good fit.

Sky (UK) have pushed Hannibal in terms of advertising but also the previous seasons are available on demand. I could see Sky picking the series up with another network but Netflix could be a stumbling block over here with worldwide rights.

ivysaur12

Banned
I don't think NBC will cancel it. It's free money and it gives them critical acclaim that they don't have from anything else while in turn allows them to tell creatives they want to work with that they've kept a show like Hannibal on for 3+ years.

Also, it's free money.

so, nobody thought they changed hannibal as a character in this? I feel he was much less likeable than before.
killing someone to get a job? abducting and abusing a woman? he felt very different to me, in a bad way.

He definitely felt less likable, because we're seeing him as he truly is.

Hannibal is a monster--let's not forget this. Lecter murders people for being rude. That's insane.

I don't think it's necessarily a pure abduction, either--I think Bedelia is, like us, just now realizing the extent of Hannibal's animosity...but I think she was naturally curious, too. She just got in way over her head.

The "are you observing or participating" scene was uncomfortable because it was Hannibal as manipulative as he's ever been.

We just have to accept the fact this will remain a cult classic at best. The style of the show is far too not mainstream. It also probably doesn't cost that much...

Moff

He definitely felt less likable, because we're seeing him as he truly is.

Hannibal is a monster--let's not forget this. Lecter murders people for being rude. That's insane.

I don't think it's necessarily a pure abduction, either--I think Bedelia is, like us, just now realizing the extent of Hannibal's animosity...but I think she was naturally curious, too. She just got in way over her head.

The "are you observing or participating" scene was uncomfortable because it was Hannibal as manipulative as he's ever been.
I am really not that sure anymore if she wasn't abducted in the first place. I mean she was suddenly in the plane after he tried to kill her, what happened? In no scene we have seen her being comfortable with him in the new episode. I had the impression he abused her psychologically the whole time.

and about hannibal being likeable.
hannibal is and always was very likeable, well at least in the movies and the tv show so far, I think that is a very important part of his character and his iconic status.
what makes serial killers likeable? when they have a code we can relate to. hannibal ate rude people. that is relatable. of course we know he is still a killer and needs to be put away. a monster, but a monster we can root for in fiction.

I welcome if a character changes during his arc, especially in a long tv show, it's actually something that elevates tv over movies in my opinion. but to me it seemed he abandoned his code, or abandoned "ethics" as bedelia put it, he kills for purely selfish reasons, no longer because of a code. that is not only a boring villain, it makes him less relatable and only a villain, no longer someone we can root for. and I am not sure if that good. there's no way I won't finish this season, but I just want to be the one guy in this thread who doesn't like this ;)

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
being co-financed is no doubt saving it. It would've/should've been cancelled by now with its ratings but it's still here so something's right.

if nothing else the people in charge seem to like it

Robert Greenblatt said:
"Hannibal is - and I think most people in this room would agree - one of the best shows we have creatively," Greenblatt said. "It's one of the best reviewed shows that this network has had since I've been here. And we still struggle to find an audience for it. It's great, we're keeping it going, we keep trying to build an audience for it. But, if this were on a cable network the small audience would not matter. It would be deemed more successful than it is on our network. I don't know why five million people or eight million people won't watch Hannibal on a broadcast network. Three million might watch it on Showtime or another cable network and that's okay. The minute you try and do something that is dark, and subversive, and frightening, and gets into that territory, you start to peel away the mass audience. It's just the way it is. Because the quality of that show is undeniable."

It was up against NBA finals game 1, 12.9 rating...

Siegcram

He took off his person suit.

We'll transition more and more from Hannibal the Charmer and Manipulator to the true monster lurking beneath. That, admittedly a bit hamfisted, projection of Lucifer onto him isn't an accident. He is mainly done with the games he played with Will and the FBI and now has Bedelia as the sole victim of his psychological torture.

I watched and DVR since I didn't know if id stay awake :(

ivysaur12

Banned

For the record, there's a lot of context here that you're missing. It's also not produced with the same financial model as Constantine, so any comparisons are moot.

I am really not that sure anymore if she wasn't abducted in the first place. I mean she was suddenly in the plane after he tried to kill her, what happened? In no scene we have seen her being comfortable with him in the new episode. I had the impression he abused her psychologically the whole time.

and about hannibal being likeable.
hannibal is and always was very likeable, well at least in the movies and the tv show so far, I think that is a very important part of his character and his iconic status.
what makes serial killers likeable? when they have a code we can relate to. hannibal ate rude people. that is relatable. of course we know he is still a killer and needs to be put away. a monster, but a monster we can root for in fiction.

I welcome if a character changes during his arc, especially in a long tv show, it's actually something that elevates tv over movies in my opinion. but to me it seemed he abandoned his code, or abandoned "ethics" as bedelia put it. and I am not sure if that good. there's no way I won't finish this season, but I just want to be the one guy in this thread who doesn't like this ;)

Well, remember that Hannibal doesn't ONLY kill rude people--he also kills as a survival instinct. That's the only reason (we thought) he killed Abigail in S1. It's the only reason he attacked Jack, someone he considered a friend. It's the only reason Lecter killed two innocent guards in Silence of the Lambs, and it's likely why he killed Dr. Fell, as he needed an identity (this is straight from the Hannibal book, btw).

I'm going to rewatch it this weekend, as I think I'll be able to pick up on a lot more of the dialogue and understand their interactions fully, but just going by the "Inside the Episode", I think Bedelia killing that patient was supposed to be a horrifying but empowering experience that made her curious about Hannibal's lifestyle/psyche.

Kevin

I don't think NBC will cancel it. It's free money and it gives them critical acclaim that they don't have from anything else while in turn allows them to tell creatives they want to work with that they've kept a show like Hannibal on for 3+ years.

Also, it's free money.

cropped-godly-man1.jpg

The man has spoken!!!

On a serious note, I really hope this show gets a full run. I think it's intended for five seasons last time I heard. Yeah I know it's not in the same boat as Constantine and that a (Canadian?) company pays and films it but how low can the ratings go before it's not worth producing for that company?

Siegcram

Him assuming another identity is also a nod to The Talented Mister Ripley. I recall an interview with Fuller in which he named several inspirations for the upcoming episodes and that movie was among them.

stn

Great episode, recognized all the areas in Florence. Why did Hannibal kill the guy and his wife at the very beginning in Paris? Reason behind it or just random?

Moff

Well, remember that Hannibal doesn't ONLY kill rude people--he also kills as a survival instinct. That's the only reason (we thought) he killed Abigail in S1. It's the only reason he attacked Jack, someone he considered a friend. It's the only reason Lecter killed two innocent guards in Silence of the Lambs, and it's likely why he killed Dr. Fell, as he needed an identity (this is straight from the Hannibal book, btw).

I'm going to rewatch it this weekend, as I think I'll be able to pick up on a lot more of the dialogue and understand their interactions fully, but just going by the "Inside the Episode", I think Bedelia killing that patient was supposed to be a horrifying but empowering experience that made her curious about Hannibal's lifestyle/psyche.
I absolutely agree on the survival instinct, the scene with the guards in silence of the lambs was exactly what came to my mind when I watched the episode and thought about that. and attacking jack was fine for the same reasons.
however, I don't see that in dr. fell and bedelia, and since it was stated in the episode he abandonend his ethics and took off his person suit, this is obviously intended, I just don't know if I like it. because I watch that show because of him, because I like him. there, I said it.

Also, it's free money.

For the record, there's a lot of context here that you're missing. It's also not produced with the same financial model as Constantine, so any comparisons are moot.

I'm smiling right now:)

I absolutely agree on the survival instinct, the scene with the guards in silence of the lambs was exactly what came to my mind when I watched the episode and thought about that. and attacking jack was fine for the same reasons.
however, I don't see that in dr. fell and bedelia, and since it was stated in the episode he abandonend his ethics and took off his person suit, this is obviously intended, I just don't know if I like it. because I watch that show because of him, because I like him. there, I said it.

Hahaha, I totally get it--I think that's part of the appeal, is that the show undermines your "this guy is a monster" sense with "man, I hope Hannibal would like me if we ever met!"

I'm curious where they go with it. I think once Will is reintroduced, we'll get back to his "affectionate" side.

Hahaha, I totally get it--I think that's part of the appeal, is that the show undermines your "this guy is a monster" sense with "man, I hope Hannibal would like me if we ever met!"

I'm curious where they go with it. I think once Will is reintroduced, we'll get back to his "affectionate" side.

tumblr_inline_mqjit7PGwr1qz4rgp.gif

Kuroyume

Banned
Putting the show up against the NBA Finals was stupid. They need to move it up an hour earlier and try to avoid going up against a big sporting event like that.

Top Bottom