• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hannibal S3 |OT| Man Destroys God. Hannibal Eats Man. Hannibal Inherits The Earth.

Putting the show up against the NBA Finals was stupid. They need to move it up an hour earlier and try to avoid going up against a big sporting event like that.

It doesn't even matter. The show is so cheap to NBC that it's not going anywhere. It's not even worth sweating the ratings of this show at all.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Definitely need a .gif of Hannibal's reaction after being asked if it's that kind of party. Classic Hannibal reaction.

thatkindofpartyt0pbd.gif

any one else have requests for gifs?

Sai-kun

Banned
I need a gif of the new dude looking back and giving Hannibal sexy eyes after his lecture finishes.

Also a gif of 'is it that kind of party?'
KuGsj.gif

edit: I see that one has already been made on the previous page XP

BBboy20

Brian Reitzell is, perhaps, the best TV composer right now. Italian organ synth playing beyond on-point.

Looking like a million bucks through a shoe-string budget? We need an Emmy for that (the "super" wide-screen flashbacks really makes you think you're watching a major motion picture).

Daffy Duck

That was fucking amazing!

Confused on the timeline, were the Florence shots all post last season and the shower scene before Florence?

But it was amazing nonetheless.

wenis

I need a gif of the new dude looking back and giving Hannibal sexy eyes after his lecture finishes.

Also a gif of 'is it that kind of party?'
KuGsj.gif

edit: I see that one has already been made on the previous page XP
the-look6ly8y.gif

Can you gif the "once upon a time" moment when he's with Gideon? Those may not be his exact words but I really liked that.

notextk5rbv.gif

That was fucking amazing!

Confused on the timeline, were the Florence shots all post last season and the shower scene before Florence?

But it was amazing nonetheless.

The shower scene explained how Bedelia decided to go with Hannibal after the events of Mizumono, so it's before Florence.

This a good article on EW, talking about how a lot of people who aren't watching Hannibal probably should... If you have friends who are wary, just have them read this (there are mild spoilers, but, they're not too bad).

In the very least, I think the conclusion is something we can all agree on, hehhh

Keeping with tradition of nobody watching good shows, Hannibal bombed in ratings (far below the canceled Constantine) at 2.62 million which is a lot lower then season 2 received despite a bigger advertising push.

I can see this show being canceled after this season. For some reason the American audience simply won't watch this show. I know I can't get many of my own friends to even give it a try.

Honestly, it's the cannablism angle. Both my Dad and my Aunt who watch basic and premium tv shows, and really like game of thrones, won't watch Hannibal. I've never said nothing but good things about Hannibal but some people can't get over the gruesome aspect of the show. And really, there are scenes in the first 2 seasons that I'm blown away where shown on basic tv with a tv-14 rating.

Thanks so much, wenis. I think that was the moment I thought, "Oooh, this episode is gonna be ridiculous".

Any chance you can get a high res grab of the shot where his head disappears/fades in with the projected drawing of satan? Chrome isn't recognizing that I have silverlight installed and IE won't even play it (Xbox Video), so I can't grab it myself :(

snip snip

Great post and I feel the same way. As I watched it, I wasn't really sure if everything was working, or will work--but I hadn't really seen anything else like it. I admire that kind of adherence to a "vision".

The show has always been bold enough to experiment, especially in terms of visuals/audio, but this felt on another level.

Window

The show has always been bold enough to experiment, especially in terms of visuals/audio, but this felt on another level.

This probably best succinctly described how I felt about this episode. While I liked the show before, I feel like it has now trully 'arrived' (or maybe it's just that new season smell...that doesn't sound as good as it did in my mind).

He definitely felt less likable, because we're seeing him as he truly is.

Hannibal is a monster--let's not forget this. Lecter murders people for being rude. That's insane.

I don't think it's necessarily a pure abduction, either--I think Bedelia is, like us, just now realizing the extent of Hannibal's animosity...but I think she was naturally curious, too. She just got in way over her head.

The "are you observing or participating" scene was uncomfortable because it was Hannibal as manipulative as he's ever been.

What I think is important in this episode in particular is that we are primarily viewing it through DuMaurier's lens. In killing her patient, she was presented with a choice regarding Hannibal, and she, much like Dante who is so frequently mentioned in this episode, embarked upon a journey which would lead her into the depths of hell and towards Lucifer himself. In the nine circles of hell, those who reside in the lower circles in Dis do so because they have actively sinned; DuMaurier considers herself only an observer, but she, in her initial desire to involve Hannibal, and most importantly in her unwillingness to begin to intervene herself and try to use her agency, is actively conspiring with Hannibal. Sure, she tries to remain conspicuous such that attention is drawn to her and she establishes a routine such that her absence will be noticed or so that she may face a miraculous intervention, but she's not making steps to prevent the wrongs from occurring herself.

She is, truly, in a torturous, hellish existence. She's living in a situation where she is completely isolated and looks at people with the terrifying expectation that their demise is inevitable, she spends every waking moment in a state of horror as she waits for the time that she is to be served (as we see in a moment of unbridled terror) because she knows, like Dr. Gideon, that it is Will Graham Hannibal wants for company and not her, she wishes to cling onto the belief that she has agency and can submerge herself to shield her from Hannibal's scheming and influence but realises it's fruitless, and worst of all she remains curious to see just what further horror awaits her and enthralled by Lucifer so that she is unable to act. Her existence is cruel, and her perception of Hannibal reflects this, particularly as Hannibal becomes increasingly self-indulgent and flaunts what lies below his increasingly shallower person-suit as he is uninterested in maintaining the appearances that he takes on. It isn't entirely an abduction, as she slowly tiptoes among the flames towards her eventual fate out of curiosity for what awaits, but in this state she is almost in a trance and unable to free herself and do anything but eek out the little time that presumably remains in her hellish existence as a result of her proximity to Hannibal. Had Hannibal been portrayed in any other fashion I think it wouldn't have been entirely fitting, primarily because it would have diminished the state of anguish that she is in. Had Hannibal been less menacing of a figure, her circle of hell would have seemed far less genuine and much more imagined than it does with Hannibal being the suitably nightmarish figure, and the combination of seeing him from her view and Gideon's who both are aware of Hannibal, are victims in two entirely different ways (Gideon much more of a physical victim even if he was plagued emotionally too, whereas DuMaurier primarily has been tortured with emotional turmoil and existential angst as she knows her time is coming to an end any waking moment and is powerless to resist), and who both see him as the devil, worked well to enhance this.

Edit: Anyways, I really enjoyed this episode. It was one of the boldest episodes of television I've ever seen, visually arresting, and marvellously crafted. I left it rather unsure of my feelings immediately afterward even if I appreciated the craftsmanship, but I've grown to really enjoy it.

Helmholtz

Pretty good episode. Visually it was really well done, kind of a continuation of the style we saw in last season's finale. Not going to lie, I was pretty disappointed we didn't find out what happened to the victims of last season's finale yet.
I also find it kind of funny how much this show seems to have changed since the first season. From killer of the week stuff to this.

What I think is important in this episode in particular is that we are primarily viewing it through DuMaurier's lens. In killing her patient, she was presented with a choice regarding Hannibal, and she, much like Dante who is so frequently mentioned in this episode, embarked upon a journey which would lead her into the depths of hell and towards Lucifer himself. In the nine circles of hell, those who reside in the lower circles in Dis do so because they have actively sinned; DuMaurier considers herself only an observer, but she, in her initial desire to involve Hannibal, and most importantly in her unwillingness to begin to intervene herself and try to use her agency, is actively conspiring with Hannibal. Sure, she tries to remain conspicuous such that attention is drawn to her and she establishes a routine such that her absence will be noticed or so that she may face a miraculous intervention, but she's not making steps to prevent the wrongs from occurring herself.

She is, truly, in a torturous, hellish existence. She's living in a situation where she is completely isolated and looks at people with the terrifying expectation that their demise is inevitable, she spends every waking moment in a state of horror as she waits for the time that she is to be served (as we see in a moment of unbridled terror) because she knows, like Dr. Gideon, that it is Will Graham Hannibal wants for company and not her, she wishes to cling onto the belief that she has agency and can submerge herself to shield her from Hannibal's scheming and influence but realises it's fruitless, and worst of all she remains curious to see just what further horror awaits her and enthralled by Lucifer so that she is unable to act. Her existence is cruel, and her perception of Hannibal reflects this, particularly as Hannibal becomes increasingly self-indulgent and flaunts what lies below his increasingly shallower person-suit as he is uninterested in maintaining the appearances that he takes on. It isn't entirely an abduction, as she slowly tiptoes among the flames towards her eventual fate out of curiosity for what awaits, but in this state she is almost in a trance and unable to free herself and do anything but eek out the little time that presumably remains in her hellish existence as a result of her proximity to Hannibal. Had Hannibal been portrayed in any other fashion I think it wouldn't have been entirely fitting, primarily because it would have diminished the state of anguish that she is in. Had Hannibal been less menacing of a figure, her circle of hell would have seemed far less genuine and much more imagined than it does with Hannibal being the suitably nightmarish figure, and the combination of seeing him from her view and Gideon's who both are aware of Hannibal, are victims in two entirely different ways (Gideon much more of a physical victim even if he was plagued emotionally too, whereas DuMaurier primarily has been tortured with emotional turmoil and existential angst as she knows her time is coming to an end any waking moment and is powerless to resist), and who both see him as the devil, worked well to enhance this.

Edit: Anyways, I really enjoyed this episode. It was one of the boldest episodes of television I've ever seen, visually arresting, and marvellously crafted. I left it rather unsure of my feelings immediately afterward even if I appreciated the craftsmanship, but I've grown to really enjoy it.

Ah, I missed your breakdowns.

Wow, spot on. Well said!!!

Kain

I feel like Fuller is doing whatever the fuck he wants and it's glorious.

This is the most beautiful and probably the most ambitious show I've ever seen. Not ambitious in the classical scale sense, but as I said, the creator seems to have free reign or he doesn't give a damn, so we have this sort of unleashed, but self-restrained, creativity. It's hard to explain but a joy to watch.

I honestly prefer these sort of episodes instead of all the police work.

wenis

Would love one of Bedelia walking towards the shop with the dead birds. I believe she had an umbrella in her hand and its a gorgeous shot of a building in Florence behind her.

took longer than I realized. I didn't want to ruin so much of the imagery by either cutting it too short or reducing the coloring profile to nothing that it comes out splotchy. 10mb will have to do
LLShC.gif

florencecjoxt.gif

kirblar

This a good article on EW, talking about how a lot of people who aren't watching Hannibal probably should... If you have friends who are wary, just have them read this (there are mild spoilers, but, they're not too bad).

In the very least, I think the conclusion is something we can all agree on, hehhh
The more he insisted that I would love it, the more I mentally decided I probably wouldn’t love it. “Who needs Hannibal?” I told myself. “I’ve got Orphan Black!” Then Orphan Black had a second season, and I started wondering if Staskiewicz was maybe onto something.
lololol

KarmaCow

I'm amazed by how good the show looks and rather how NBC is willing to spend so much. It's like they got a blank cheque this episode, not the previous seasons felt hampered in any major ways.

I'm not complaining though, keep doing it!

kirblar

I'm amazed by how good the show looks and rather how NBC is willing to spend so much. It's like they got a blank cheque this episode, not the previous seasons felt hampered in any major ways.

I'm not complaining though, keep doing it!
That's the trick- NBC isn't spending that much. It's a collaborative international effort with a bunch of different networks pitching in, as the Hannibal IP is super-popular overseas still.

Good episode. I liked the Gideon flashbacks. Also I kind of thought we would see something about when Bedelia and Hannibal first meet.

I love those scenes.

Gideon is fed up and not taking any of Hannibal's bullshit ala everyone else. Is it just me or does Hannibal seem like he's barely keeping up with Gideon?

I feel like Fuller is doing whatever the fuck he wants and it's glorious.

This is the most beautiful and probably the most ambitious show I've ever seen. Not ambitious in the classical scale sense, but as I said, the creator seems to have free reign or he doesn't give a damn, so we have this sort of unleashed, but self-restrained, creativity. It's hard to explain but a joy to watch.

I honestly prefer these sort of episodes instead of all the police work.

Ditto. They do a good job with them. But considering how those scenes are such a staple in your typical crime shows, it comes off as cheap now. Sometimes, with the right crew, the best story telling is done visually and without dialog. Gillian's actions and expressions in ep1 just reeked of torture. It was great.

Great write up. Did not think to compare Dante's journey to DuMaurier's. Instead I found her situation parallel to that of Judas, whom Hannibal seemed to have selected on purpose to mess with her indirectly.

Ditto. They do a good job with them. But considering how those scenes are such a staple in your typical crime shows, it comes off as cheap now. Sometimes, with the right crew, the best story telling is done visually and without dialog. Gillian's actions and expressions in ep1 just reeked of torture. It was great.

Great write up. Did not think to compare Dante's journey to DuMaurier's. Instead I found her situation parallel to that of Judas, whom Hannibal seemed to have selected on purpose to mess with her indirectly.

I more related that to his relationship with Will, and how Hannibal views that as a betrayal.

Epcott

So I went back and rewatched the season premiere. Such a masterful episode. I missed much of it (phone browsing while watching from the corner of my eye) on last nights initial watch and missed much of the sly wordplay and details. Also, I misread the jumps in time due to the poor multitasking.

I love this episode because it's more Belinda's story than it is Hannibal's. Because she goes from seeking his protection at the death of her patient, to curiosity of his people suit persona, to fear of her own well being after realizing that the wild animal shes observed may have her scent... To the point where she now wears a people suit to survive his companionship. At least that's what I gather.

I also gather she won't make it beyond episode 2.

Most importantly, I love this show. It demands you pay attention from episode start to finish. If you don't, it laughs at your ignorance rather than spoon feed the plot and characters to you. It then demands you to watch it again to put the pieces together.

And I think... That's why this show suffers. People don't want to devote their full attention to a show like this. They're busy people, doing busy things, and once the imagery and haunting piano keys transition on screen, all they see is a pretentious piece of art masquerading as "That Silence of the Lambs show" trying to be smarter than they are. In other words "zzz". Either that, or they just assume Hannibal = gorefest.

It's a shame.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
can't stand the sound mix or most of the dialogue. tbh i think i could fuck with a silent version of this show lol.

I've been complaining about the mix for 2 seasons already. The sound design is great but the mix is not. I'm just gonna stop complaining and embrace the sound as a real time mini game. Volume up 300% during dialogue (what..he.wha...did what? speak the hell up!), volume down 500% during ambient scenes least the vibrations make my entire block collapse.

It may have been deliberate (?), but "aesthetical" is not a word. "Aesthetic" is what she should have said. A trivial detail, I guess, but it stood out.

I'm glad this show is back.

took longer than I realized. I didn't want to ruin so much of the imagery by either cutting it too short or reducing the coloring profile to nothing that it comes out splotchy. 10mb will have to do
LLShC.gif

florencecjoxt.gif

Such a gorgeous shot! Probably my favorite of the episode <3 It even looks pretty in that speckle-y low-res gif hahaha

It's assuredly some unfortunate side effect of the international production deal, but it's increasingly harmful for Hannibal to not be available on Hulu apps.

IMO they should have left Hannibal on Friday nights. Less competition I think. If nothing else, being in Australia, I would have been watch it live on Saturday.

kirblar

IMO they should have left Hannibal on Friday nights. Less competition I think. If nothing else, being in Australia, I would have been watch it live on Saturday.
It's the summer, no one cares. Thursday ensures it gets attention on a Friday from recaps and such.

Top Bottom