• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hannibal S3 |OT| Man Destroys God. Hannibal Eats Man. Hannibal Inherits The Earth.

Can anyone grab an HQ screen of the devil over Hannibal's face? Not just when it's overlaid, but when Bedelia hallucinates and the image/Hannibal's face disappear into each other.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Woah, really? I'd thought Fuller said we wouldn't get any of that for 4 episodes. Maybe the studio talked some sense into him.
Unless my bud was bullshitting me, it sounds like they're the only two existing characters in the episode. He wouldn't tell me any more though. It's gotta be (speculation)
hallucinations/dream sequences with Will trying to cope with her loss

My friend was at the ATX panel and told me about the second episode. Just who it focuses on.
Will
and
Abigail
. My body is ready.

Sounds like. The episode is inspired by Don't Look Now (thank you, icarus-daedelus):

Don't Look Now is a 1973 independent British-Italian film directed by Nicolas Roeg. It is a thriller adapted from the short story by Daphne du Maurier. Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland star as a married couple who travel to Venice following the recent accidental death of their daughter, after the husband accepts a commission to restore a church. They encounter two sisters, one of whom claims to be clairvoyant and informs them that their daughter is trying to contact them and warn them of danger. The husband at first dismisses their claims, but starts to experience mysterious sightings himself.

While Don't Look Now observes many conventions of the thriller genre, its primary focus is on the psychology of grief, and the effect the death of a child can have on a relationship. Its emotionally convincing depiction of grief is often singled out as a trait not usually present in films featuring supernatural plot elements.

As well as the unusual handling of its subject matter, Don't Look Now is renowned for its innovative editing style, and its use of recurring motifs and themes. The film often employs flashbacks and flashforwards in keeping with the depiction of precognition, but some scenes are intercut or merged to alter the viewer's perception of what is really happening. It also adopts an impressionist approach to its imagery, often presaging events with familiar objects, patterns and colours using associative editing techniques.

Absolutely loved it but I was a bit confused by the interplay between Bedlia and Hannibal. Perhaps it was because I too only caught about every third word but can someone help enlighten me as to what exactly Bedila is doing there? Does she want to leave and is under his control? Is she enjoying it all and feels remorse? I haven't watched the previous seasons again so perhaps I'm a little lost because of that as well
The relationship between Bedelia and Hannibal is a substitute for the Clarice and Hannibal "romance" that ends Hannibal, the book. Lecter has hypnotized Clarice into being his willing companion. I've always felt that Harris dislikes his books being adapted into movies (or at least dislikes that it forces him to write more books) and was trying to create an unfilmable plot-line. Bedelia mentions that she feels as if she's controlling herself at the moment, which indicates she isn't at other times. Remember, Lecter controlled Graham through hypnosis earlier.
Whatever it is, she orders the same thing both times we see her in the shop. Think it's just her way of setting a behavioral pattern to get noticed by authorities and locals in the case she mysteriously disappears one day...
She's ordering very esoteric and expensive items that will catch Graham and Crawford's eyes, as well as posing for the train security camera.
Sounds like. The episode is inspired by Don't Look Now (thank you, icarus-daedelus):
Don't Look Now is also famous as Sutherland claims he's really fucking Julie Christie during their sex scene.

The representative from the school (guy with a beard) seemed really agitated at the presentation that Hannibal gave. I didnt catch why though. Did he know that Hannibal was a fraud and couldn't say anything for some reason?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The representative from the school (guy with a beard) seemed really agitated at the presentation that Hannibal gave. I didnt catch why though. Did he know that Hannibal was a fraud and couldn't say anything for some reason?

He was just a stuck, pretentious dude that also gave Hannibal hard time early in the episode.

"I think not"

Love that bit.

BBboy20

Surprised nobody pointed out jack's, will's, Abigail's, and Hannibal's blood being in that slurry during one of the shower scenes. Blood slush.

RedStep

All style no substance. :|

Untrue. There are many articles (a few below) that point out how much that episode did right, but unless you don't think there's any value to art beyond "what happens next", there was plenty of content.

We saw more of who these people are, why they are where they are, and how they are being changed/changing others. These elements are what play into episodes like the S2 finale - without knowing exactly who the characters are and what sets them on these slow-motion collision courses, such moments wouldn't have nearly the impact.

EMOTIONAL LOGIC: BRYAN FULLER REDEFINES THE CRIME DRAMA WITH “HANNIBAL”

Hannibal Season 3 Review: Still A Terrific And Delectable Slice Of Horror Drama

'Hannibal' Season 3 Review: The Bold Gets Bolder

‘Hannibal’ Season Three Is Deliciously Different

“HANNIBAL” IS THE BEST DRAMA ON TELEVISION

It's perfectly fine not to like the show, but if you think there's no substance here you're either not paying attention or not picking up what's in front of you.

Solo

I think the "too far up its ass"/"style over substance"/"I'm done" comments are a bit insane after one whole episode has aired, but I will say that the premiere was one of my least favorite episodes, maybe my least favorite, of the show so far. The momentum from the S2 finale felt like it was stopped dead in its tracks.

-griffy-

Banned
8Htlgd3.png

NBC IS streaming this but I bought the Season Pass on Amazon anyway. Since I want to watch it on PS4/bigger tv. I watched the first episode on a smaller tv which I use as a computer monitor. I deeply regret that I watched it that way first.

I wish the PS4 could run flash.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The Art and Making of Hannibal book is so good. Hope they will do a volume 2!

Edit: Also it is cool that Hannibal helped clean up both Will and Bedelia after there kills.

The Art and Making of Hannibal book is so good. Hope they will do a volume 2!

Edit: Also it is cool that Hannibal helped clean up both Will and Bedelia after there kills.

He probably does the same for all his 'children'. He helped Abigail, I could see him helping Randall and Dolarhyde.

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 3: episode 2 "Primavera" (Directed by Vincenzo Natali)

With his wounds now healed, Will Graham heads to Europe eight months after the horrific event that almost took his life, in search of closure with Hannibal Lecter.

I think the "too far up its ass"/"style over substance"/"I'm done" comments are a bit insane after one whole episode has aired, but I will say that the premiere was one of my least favorite episodes, maybe my least favorite, of the show so far. The momentum from the S2 finale felt like it was stopped dead in its tracks.

Hannibal Lecter killed the momentum almost literally. Everyone else is either dead or incapacitated. I agree it feels very different now, but I'm not sure of any other way to proceed after that finale. Hannibal and Bedelia got away. The show has to move to serialization, and I think that's more frustrating than usual to watch on a weekly basis. And the excess of style is surely fitting since the character of Hannibal is more unrestrained than ever.

I don't even think it's wrong to say that was the least of all episodes. It's far less stand alone than any episode, heavily relying on what happens next. But it's the episode I've thought the most about and I've rewatched it already with the intent to rewatch it again before episode 2. It's intoxicating.

Wait, does the episode air at 11/10c now? Isn't there a weird little bump after the premiere?

I'm praying yes, because I won't be home from Jurassic World until 9:45 (central).

You're right, I was misreading an article. Said 10-11 Eastern, which I interpreted as 11 eastern/10 central, but it was really "airs from 10-11 Eastern".

Damn :(

T.O.P

Banned
Finished rewatching season 2

The Finale is still unbelievably brutal and gut wrenching, holy fuck

Gonna start this tomorrow night...HYPE

-griffy-

Banned
Excited to see
visions of Abigail. I wonder if they'll play it like she survived at first but progressively reveal she's dead and in Will's head.

Top Bottom