• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hannibal S3 |OT| Man Destroys God. Hannibal Eats Man. Hannibal Inherits The Earth.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
There is only one way for me to forgive the NBC execs.

I have to eat them.

iddqd

Interesting that they did that this quick into the season.
Wife and me are big fans but also felt that the pacing was too indulgent in the first episodes.
A bit like Fargo were I felt that too much freedom, too many episodes, lead to a bit of "useless" airtime.

The artsy fartsy vs procedural balance was tipped a bit too much.

yami4ct

it is guaranfuckingteed Netflix or somebody else will throw money to pick it up. Netflix seems like a prime candidate. They've rescued other shows.

Because of the Amazon exclusive screaming deal, I seriously doubt Netflix will pick it up. The rights NBC dropped are basically just for the US, so Netflix would have to buy out Amazon just to get it for the US audience. If it gets picked up by someone else, they can get the international rights regardless so they still benefit.

Assuming there is no rights issues absolutely preventing Season 4, Amazon seems like a really good bet for a pickup. They're quickly ramping up their original content and already have a streaming deal in the US in place. It's a win win for them.

Sad but expected. Even if picked up, I expect next year to be the last or second-to-last at best. We need to enjoy the rest of the ride, friends. It isn't lasting much longer.

yami4ct

Sad but expected. Even if picked up, I expect next year to be the last or second-to-last at best. We need to enjoy the rest of the ride, friends. It isn't lasting much longer.

Given how much content is left, would the show really need more than 2 seasons? Give Fuller 1 season for a Silence style story and 1 season for Hannibal/an original wrap up and we're good. It's not like they're going to (or should) do a full season of Hannibal Rising.

Given how much content is left, would the show really need more than 2 seasons? Give Fuller 1 season for a Silence style story and 1 season for Hannibal/an original wrap up and we're good. It's not like they're going to (or should) do a full season of Hannibal Rising.

Two more seasons would be plenty to cover it all, for sure, and I think Fuller knows that, too--he had originally planned out 7 seasons, but has already condensed that timeline and made it shorter. Five seasons would still fill out his full vision.

yami4ct

Two more seasons would be plenty to cover it all, for sure, and I think Fuller knows that, too--he had originally planned out 7 seasons, but has already condensed that timeline and made it shorter. Five seasons would still fill out his full vision.

Assuming he had planned the same story, I'm kind of glad he shortened it. Adding a ton of stuff to fluff out these current seasons would really hurt the show.

Bryan can make anything work, he's just that good.

Helmholtz

Really sucks to hear this news. But good on NBC for giving us three seasons despite the abysmal ratings. I think the truth is the general public isn't interested in this type of show. I've tried to get a lot of people to watch it but they always seem to brush it off for whatever reason.
My hope is that S3 at least has a somewhat satisfying conclusion, if it is indeed the last we're going to get of the show.

Because of the Amazon exclusive screaming deal, I seriously doubt Netflix will pick it up. The rights NBC dropped are basically just for the US, so Netflix would have to buy out Amazon just to get it for the US audience. If it gets picked up by someone else, they can get the international rights regardless so they still benefit.

Assuming there is no rights issues absolutely preventing Season 4, Amazon seems like a really good bet for a pickup. They're quickly ramping up their original content and already have a streaming deal in the US in place. It's a win win for them.

I have prime too. Works for me.

You know what else needed more seasons? Pushing Daisies. :'''(

still hurts

Hoping they make a deal and soon for a 4th season somewhere. I know we've always taken for granted that someone else would pick it up, but I don't like hanging on a thread right now.

Opto

Banned
Come on, the finale's going to be so good. Maybe Hannibal is caught and then the last shot of him is eating mental hospital food being very sad

EW says this show only cost NBC $185,000 an episode for season 3. So I can only assume S4 hasn't been announced yet because they're fielding through hundreds of offers.

yami4ct

EW says this show only cost NBC $185,000 an episode for season 3. So I can only assume S4 hasn't been announced yet because they're fielding through hundreds of offers.

Assuming Gaumont will give a similar deal to whoever steps up, Netflix no longer sounds at that price, they could probably buy out Amazon and still basically be getting free money.

Amazon is still the best bet. No way they would turn that offer down.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Is that true? That sounds so...inexpensive. And the show looks so stunning. I knew it didn't cost TOO much to make, but damn.

I also wonder about the validity of that number because didn't season three go over budget? I vaguely remember Bryan Fuller saying that he fought with NBC this time around to get what he wanted. Is $185,000 before or after that initial budget?

Apologies if this sounds argumentative or whatever. I'm just legitimately interested. I'm a theater guy and know next to nothing about TV/film production.

yami4ct

Is that true? That sounds so...inexpensive. And the show looks so stunning. I knew it didn't cost TOO much to make, but damn.

I also wonder about the validity of that number because didn't season three go over budget? Is $185,000 before or after that?

Apologies if this sounds argumentative or whatever. I'm just legitimately interested. I'm a theater guy and know next to nothing about TV/film production.

It wasn't that cheap to make, it was cheap to license. Gaumont, an international production company, pays to make the show. NBC and other networks just pay to air it. Also, it's an absurdly low amount.

Cetra

This sucks. Hannibal is easily my favorite show on TV and ranks up there with my all time favorites. Here's hoping they can find a new network, if not... well, shit.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
It wasn't that cheap to make, it was cheap to license. Gaumont, an international production company, pays to make the show. NBC and other networks just pay to air it. Also, it's an absurdly low amount.
Ohh. That's the licensing fee that NBC pays, not the production budget? That makes more sense. I guess.

beat

At all times, for all shows, the networks pay a license fee that's below per-episode costs. It's usually more like 60%, I think (???), of costs. The studio offers this deal because it will make up the rest on the back end - syndication rights, etc.

Sometimes when a show is desperate to make syndication numbers, the studio offers a huge discount. (probably most notoriously, Sony on the 'Til Death show?) Hannibal's international financing might also have made such a discount possible.

(So why don't shows always get squeezed to offer a license fee of practically nothing? Because if a show can't maintain acceptable ratings on first-run, their syndication sales will be dreadful too.)

That said, I gather Hannibal was always run on a pretty tight budget. I remember seeing behind-the-scenes stills of that ep last year with the corpse-in-a-horse stuff, and while it looked very convincing in the show -- before the post-production VFX, it looked like a weird cheap furry sleeping bag.

$185k/episode is crazy low, though. I think FX gives Louie $300K per episode and that's so cheap that's why that show gets little network interference.

yami4ct

Finally watched last week's. What a strange episode, direction felt very off for the series.

At this point, I'm just waiting for Red Dragon to start. I like the way Fuller seems to be creating his own origin for Hannibal, but he isn't really presenting it in a way that works. It's often obfuscation for the sake of it, which is very different than the way the series normally operates.

Once the main story kicks in gear, I'm sure the show will be back in full form.

Sober

NBC just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about the culinary arts (I'm an expert), but cannibalism and inflicting massive psychological trauma are huge parts of it. It's not like it is with Gordon Ramsay where you can become successful by simply being an asshole. If you all you can do is yell at your contestants, they will just cry for a bit on camera and get over it. And to top it all off, he's not even a closeted cannibal.

What this means is Fannibals and connoisseurs of prestige television, after hearing about this, are not going to want to watch any other shows about cannibals, nor will they watch anything on NBC. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but NBC has alienated an entire market with this move.

NBC, publicly apologize and uncancel Hannibal or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Damnit!
Justin-Long.gif

awp69

This really sucks. I really thought NBC was totally behind it even with the low ratings because of the prestige and low cost. Guess I was wrong.

I truly hope FX or AMC or someone picks it up. Sounds like Amazon makes the most sense but I prefer Netflix over Prime and don't feel like having yet another subscription.

Has there been anything said as far as whether the remaining episodes for this season will definitely all air?

Top Bottom