• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hannibal S3 |OT| Man Destroys God. Hannibal Eats Man. Hannibal Inherits The Earth.

I loved both season 1 and 2 but feared for the type of territory it was getting into and after the 3 first episodes im really hating it and it's basically what I feared

I mentioned it elsewhere (cancellation thread?) but it just sorta became some sort of sploorge of up-it's-own-ass-ness with the artsy shots and stilled motion shots that last full minutes, while character motivations make absolutely no sense whatsoever and there's very little plot development in each episode

I like carefully planned shots and beautiful imagery but I don't give a rats ass about it on a tv series if the writing doesnt back it up

yeah it's pretty, but it aint deep; I get it. No need to shove my face with CG WILL GRAHAM TEACUP for me to get metaphores or whatever

it's just really annoying to watch cause every frame is like I can see everyone involved in the show going "MAN WE'RE GENIUSES WE SO ART"

it's a shame really. Hopefully it picks up

boyd1m5ks5.gif

Oh my god.

Major spoilers from that trailer looking at each scene:

"Hannibal is where I became a man. It's where I see my end, and my beginning." To Jack? Or another? It sounds like a response to Bedalia. This strongly suggests to me that another painting happens.

I think he actually says "
Florence is where I became a man. I see my end and my beginning
." It's a reference to Il Mostro.

Selected quotes presented for your reading pleasure from that interview. The one thing Bryan Fuller refuses to spoil seems to be his plan for season 4, for which I am actually glad. So excited to see what's in store for the rest of season 3 - which he's proud of, as he should be...

Also: confirmation that Bryan Fuller thinks Will losing and Hannibal winning to be a satisfying ending combination.

I don't really think anyone won in Season 2. I mean sure, all the heroes were broken and bleeding at the end, but Hannibal's heart was broken!

I think Season 1 is a definitive win for Hannibal tho.

Unless we're separating out arcs within the series, so maybe... Arc 1/Minnesota Shrike, Hannibal wins. Will's Incarceration, Will wins. Death of a Bromance, it's a tie. An Lithuanian-American Cannibal in Italy, Will wins. Red Dragon, who knows?

scabro

hannibal walking off into the rain as the ending would have been baller as fuck

i remember thinking if that was it, it was a really good unique ending.

-griffy-

Banned
Quick Sepinwall interview with Fuller:
You've been here before with cancellations. How does this one feel?

Bryan Fuller: If anything, it doesn't feel as abrupt, as unexpected, as distraught as previous cancellations have felt.

What would you say the chances are that you can find a new home?

Bryan Fuller: You know? I think there's probably, it feels like maybe a 50/50 chance. There's certain places that can't do it for various reasons. There's other places that are interested in doing a fourth season. I'm very curious which way it will go. I honestly have no idea. With "Wonderfalls" in particular, when that was canceled, it was a sense of seeing the back 9 so clearly, and being surprised at the hopelessness of it all. I guess because the show had been about hope in a strange way. So that one was probably the one that stung the most, and then "Pushing Daisies," that stung, but it felt like was a tale left to be told with it. "Wonderfalls," I felt like I can't imagine this quirky show finding life beyond the television show.
You've talked about how the Italy portion of the season, which is turning out to be a loose adaptation of the "Hannibal" novel, got collapsed so that it's only going to take up half the season. Then you're doing the bulk of "Red Dragon" with Richard Armitage. If you're not doing "Silence" for season 4, and you've used up most of the books you do have the rights for, what would be left to fuel that season?

Bryan Fuller: There's actually, if I told you, you'd be like, "Oh, yeah, that's right!" But I don't want to give any hints about it, because it would betray the finale of this season. But it's based on something from one of the books, where we would do what we usually do, which is subvert it, starting with the radical differences in the relationships on the show versus how they were written in the novels.

Anyone have any guesses? What if season 4 is
a season of Hannibal in the institution, dealing with the day to day crap and Chilton? Like, his time locked up between Red Dragon and Silence?

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 3: episode 4 "Aperitivo"

After surviving a disfiguring gunshot, Dr. Fredrick Chilton is now focused on rallying support to capture Hannibal, using Will as bait.
I cut out a large part of the synopsis. You will thank me later.

New episode today:

I cut out a large part of the synopsis. You will thank me later.

Holy crap you're fast with these. Thanks so much for quoting it :)

Jesus h I'm nervous. I don't know if I've ever been so nervous watching a TV show before :( I'm gonna be stressed out all day, oh my god.

Kevin

Why the hell did NBC surgically remove that new Hannibal trailer from the entire internet? Can't find it anywhere... they must be paying people at this point to ensure no one is seeing an awesome trailer for the show. NBC continues to do retarded things.

-griffy-

Banned
Why the hell did NBC surgically remove that new Hannibal trailer from the entire internet? Can't find it anywhere... they must be paying people at this point to ensure no one is seeing an awesome trailer for the show. NBC continues to do retarded things.

I'm thinking it was an internal trailer that wasn't supposed to be publicly shown or something, hence the insane level of spoilers.

awp69

Here's a Dropbox mirror I made.

<3

Thanks for sharing that. I couldn't resist watching it. Still think there's a lot up to interpretation. With as many dreams and hallucinations in the show, who knows which parts of the trailer are real or, as even the song says, "imagination".

It clearly looked like a full production value trailer meant to be aired as opposed to just something just for internal use. Maybe for a theater trailer (since many TV shows have taken to the big screen for promotion). NBC might have pulled the plug on it because of its excessive violence, fearing it would have turned more people off than gain new viewers.

Salsa

I feel like I could apply this critique to several shows, but Hannibal isn't one of them.

It's alright. I think my opinion is valid tho in the sense that it just turned to a direction where I have a hard time enjoying it and not seeing wasted potential

it's quality TV, and I hope it continues. Just bums me out since I think there's a lot more to it in terms of what the actual dry writing and situations are rather than just "ohhhh this is so deep look at this beating heart". They're interesting characters but I already get the traits of em. There's a lot to explore in terms of their motivations and backstory, and even on where the plot goes, but I feel like the show keeps being vague about the same 2 things of "oh hannibal is creepy", "oh will graham is fucked up and super confused" and ignoring all the rest

it's gotten to that point where I feel anyone can just write Will Graham dialogue. Introduce something trying hard to be poetic but super vague about a very metaphorical but kinda really simple subject and deliver.. it... with... pauses.. in places..where..... there should--nt... be..

It's not "psshhh you just don't get it, its slow and methodic cause it represent his struggle with his inner demons or WHATEVER" it's just "bad".

it's real bad so far too since they havent yet introduced the more grounded characters that could and should at least be like "lol wtf dude talk like a human being and go feed your fucking dog or something you're not in the theatre"

I guess everyone raves about the show moving from the sort of procedural "killer of the week" of season 1 but I think it lost something along the way. Not saying that format was great for it; I like continuity, but I think Season 2 was a great balance that was kinda tipping into this direction and 3 eps into Season 3 it just completely went there way over the top

there's time, its early in the season, but the last ep was just fucking ridiculous

-griffy-

Banned
Soooo...I don't know if it's the same in other markets, but our local NBC affiliate in Minneapolis is playing some special program tonight at 9pm and pushing Hannibal to freaking 1am. I hope this isn't the case for the rest of the season, but I fear the low ratings as a lead-in to local news is going to cause local markets to fill the time with something else. Check your local schedules.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Only a 50/50 chance someone will pick it up? Serious hope it's more like a 90% chance. Wouldn't care if it was even a premium network like Showtime. Just get a deal. Quick!!!
Even if Fuller believed there was a 90% chance of a pickup somewhere, there'd be no benefit to saying that. Might as well keep fans active. 50/50 leaves fans neither feeling their voices are futile nor redundant. It also ensures people don't get angry at him if he raises expectations and then the show doesn't return.

Top Bottom