• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hannibal S3 |OT| Man Destroys God. Hannibal Eats Man. Hannibal Inherits The Earth.

Opto

Banned
So Chilton's disfiguration invaded my dreams. I dreamt the inner half of my bottom right molars cleanly fell out of my mouth.

Enosh

"Hannibal season 3 |OT| everyone is alive" huge disappointment imo, but will see where they take some of those characters

also a million dollar award advertized world wide (I assume on this thing called the "internet") and yet he shows up as a professor, please, if you are trying to pretend to have smart writing don't write bullshit like this

other than that good episode, honesty didn't even know there is a new actor for that guy until this episode and as far as artsy stuff goes, the wedding/funeral thing was really good, more of this instead of random slow mo shit please

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
also a million dollar award advertized world wide (I assume on this thing called the "internet") and yet he shows up as a professor, please, if you are trying to pretend to have smart writing don't write bullshit like this
Iirc in the books the reason nobody realizes who Hannibal is despite the reward is because Hannibal has had his face drastically altered via plastic surgery several times (the multiple times part is mentioned when.. end of Hannibal book spoilers
at a stadium event Barney recognizes Clarice whos face still resembles her own (shes had surgery herself). He then notices the man next to her is Hannibal and they both look directly at Barney and wave. Its then i think Hannibal mentions that the picture on the FBI Most Wanted page is several faces ago.
Its been like a decade since ive read the novel and i dont have it any longer so it might not be 100% accurate but it how i remember it so if im wrong with some details, apologies. This is also the reason in the Hannibal movie why Pazzi needs to get a fingerprint to positively ID Hannibal despite Anthony Hopkins looking the same as his wanted poster.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
If you can suspend your disbelief for the elaborate designs of Hannibals kills, I don't see why his posing as the prof is an issue.

Didn't Harris kinda write Hannibal (the novel) to be unadaptable? Like, "Fine, you want a sequel? Try and adapt this shit" kinda thing? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Regardless, yeah, those exact same problems exist in the Hannibal movie.

Enosh

Iirc in the books the reason nobody realizes who Hannibal is despite the reward is because Hannibal has had his face drastically altered via plastic surgery several times (the multiple times part is mentioned when.. end of Hannibal book spoilers
at a stadium event Barney recognizes Clarice whos face still resembles her own (shes had surgery herself). He then notices the man next to her is Hannibal and they both look directly at Barney and wave. Its then i think Hannibal mentions that the picture on the FBI Most Wanted page is several faces ago.
Its been like a decade since ive read the novel and i dont have it any longer so it might not be 100% accurate but it how i remember it so if im wrong with some details, apologies. This is also the reason in the Hannibal movie why Pazzi needs to get a fingerprint to positively ID Hannibal despite Anthony Hopkins looking the same as his wanted poster.
see this makes sense, obviously they can't do that in the TV show, people would riot if they replaced Mads, but that's why they can come up with something else, like idk, his people looking for Hannibal and they are on the wrong track until that girls whose name I totally forgot comes in like she did now

I just don't like the "make up some implausible bullshit and explain it away with the heightened reality excuse" like they (or fans) do when they write something that is nonsense, I'd rather just see good writing in the first place

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
see this makes sense, obviously they can't do that in the TV show, people would riot if they replaced Mads, but that's why they can come up with something else, like idk, his people looking for Hannibal and they are on the wrong track until that girls whose name I totally forgot comes in like she did now

I just don't like the "make up some implausible bullshit and explain it away with the heightened reality excuse" like they (or fans) do when they write something that is nonsense, I'd rather just see good writing in the first place

Yea.. Alana putting Mason Verger on the right path is their explanation and it works for me. In real life people on the FBIs 10 Most Wanted list have evaded capture for decades despite large rewards and, in a couple instances, everyone on the planet knowing their name and face.

I have almost zero knowledge of Italian serial killers, or criminals, in general. Dead or alive.

I really don't think it's that far-fetched that he could get away with it, at least for a little while.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Didn't Harris kinda write Hannibal (the novel) to be unadaptable? Like, "Fine, you want a sequel? Try and adapt this shit" kinda thing? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Regardless, yeah, those exact same problems exist in the Hannibal movie.

i think you might be right. i think i heard something like that with Hannibal Rising and how Harris was forced to do it and fucked with things on purpose.

DeathyBoy

Banned
i think you might be right. i think i heard something like that with Hannibal Rising and how Harris was forced to do it and fucked with things on purpose.

They told him that they'd do it with/without him. Harris likely figured he could get a huge paycheck, put out something vaguely connected to what went before, and then bow out completely. Only other alternative was him watching some budget writer come up with an 'original' Hannibal concept.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

So if Hannibal is out wallowing in his own crapulence in Italy, the rest of the cast is healing up with Chilton in the corners lurking until people are able bodied enough to start manipulting them for his own means. So it'd stand to reason that Hannibal would easily be hidden from plain sight for awhile until Mason was of enough coherent mind to put his big plans to action and everyone else was ready to start scheming.

I think the time line would be something like 1/2>4>3

They told him that they'd do it with/without him. Harris likely figured he could get a huge paycheck, put out something vaguely connected to what went before, and then bow out completely. Only other alternative was him watching some budget writer come up with an 'original' Hannibal concept.

Yeah, with Rising, he didn't want anyone else to touch his baby, so he just wrote some trash. Weird how that works.

I'm pretty sure the entire epilogue where (novel spoilers)
Clarice and Hannibal running off together as lovers
was supposed to be a final "fuck you". Of course, Hannibal Rising happened, so not so final.

Bloodrage

Banned
Yeah this season's extremely slow so far, so I could see why some people aren't feeling it. I'm not either, to be honest. I loved the first two seasons. Cast had good chemistry. But now that they've all split up, it doesn't quite feel the same anymore. Hannibal's off in Italy, and what's happening there isn't very exciting. Random Asian girl is random and so far pointless. I didn't really like her introduction. I guess a love interest for Will was for some reason necessary (this will probably happen later), and of course, it had to be a hot Asian chick. New actor for Mason isn't as good. Etc.

Nothing's really happened four episodes in. They're wasting too much time on recaps. But next week's episode is looking to change that, it seems.

Helmholtz

Probably my favorite episode so far. Season was off to a painfully slow start but at least this episode had some substance.
Good to see Chilton back, the actor's great. And Pitt's replacement seems quite good so far.

Jack's blood dripping up is nice and all could have edited out.
Grabbing the syringe and putting the medicine edited out
Buttoning up and ring edited out.
Will iron and sparks edited out

Episode 1 and this could have combined for more densed plot per episode. Maybe use the other episodes to tell a story than have FILLER scenes

Dr. Bloom looks beautiful than before. Maybe it's her classic fashion style

Jack's blood dripping up is nice and all could have edited out.
Grabbing the syringe and putting the medicine edited out
Buttoning up and ring edited out.
Will iron and sparks edited out

Episode 1 and this could have combined for more densed plot per episode. Maybe use the other episodes to tell a story than have FILLER scenes

Dr. Bloom looks beautiful than before. Maybe it's her classic fashion style

I am so happy Bryan Fuller runs the show and not you.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
That's actually not true. I think some combination of Episodes 1-3 could have happened possibly, but Episode 4 could not have been shown before Episode 2. Otherwise Abigail in the scenes from 2 would not have worked at all.

LOL.

Hannibal won THREE awards at the Saturn Awards:

Best Network Show
So it's won that two years in a row now. Nice. :) Wish some of the other bigger awards would acknowledge the show. It would be nice to see it at least get some Emmy noms next time around.

carlsojo

Alana is so much more likeable now that she's in total vengeance mode.

This season is just so unbearably slow though. Like did we really need to recap in slow motion what happened to everyone last season followed by their medical treatments?

I must be an idiot because I do not remember Hannibal ever doing that to Chilton's face.

Even more backstory/justification for him to obsessively hate Hannibal in the books.

ramuh

OMG. That was a good episode. IMO I think that should have been the first episode of the season. It's been a slow start to this season.

Seesaw15

I must be an idiot because I do not remember Hannibal ever doing that to Chilton's face.

Even more backstory/justification for him to obsessively hate Hannibal in the books.

Hannibal didn't do that to Chilton's face directly. Miriam Lass shot Chilton in the face after Hannibal kidnapped/brainwashed her into thinking Chilton did it.

I think Hannibal has taken a large nose dive this season way too much arthouse bullshit this time around.

I agree. It's actually getting on my nerves. Everytime I see Will Graham, I'm expecting some BS trippy crap allusions to why Hannibal is the greatest thing to sliced bread.

I was totally in love with S1 and S2. S3 is tonally different and far weaker. Best parts to S3 are the flashbacks to S1 and S2.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i feel like every season there are some kind of complaints about how the show is slow or too artsy and then the complaints vanish once the end nears and everything ties together.

Blader

I was pretty cool on episodes 2 and 3, but this last one felt like a strong return to form for me. The new Mason Verger is okay, I don't think he's bad but he does come off like he's forcing a Michael Pitt impression. Really enjoyed Chilton's return and his attempt to assemble the Anti-Hannibal Avengers.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yeah, I've enjoyed the last two episodes as well. Something about the first two just felt way too slow, even by this show's standards. I know people are saying this is how its always been, but I've been watching since Day 1 and I have to disagree with that. Episode 1 felt like a nonstop slow motion shot.

Hannibal still knows what it wants to be, but actually getting some forward progression the past two episodes has been very nice.

And I see a lot of people mentioning that they're glad the show doesn't have anymore weekly killers. I'm the opposite. I love serial elements in TV shows, but I actually enjoyed what this show did with The Killer of the Week episodes. The elaborate murder tableauxs are a staple of Hannibal.

The last 3rd of season 2 was perfect to me in terms of the pacing and "arthouse" stuff and just how everything was constructed and flowed.

Didn't care much at all for the procedural stuff early on, I actually dropped it for a while and eventually came back, S3 so far seems to be going to the other extreme.

For this season episode 1 remains my favorite by far, Hannibal and Bedelia are absolutely enthralling, the other characters? eh.

I thought this last episode was about as "artsy fartsy" as any episode from season 2. It was definitely more grounded than the first three episodes.

They've all had substance, though. Internal character work and layered narrative symbolism are substance; it's just that this show underlines and bolsters its substance with style to match (and to spare.)

I thrive on this kind of nuanced character development like my life depends on it. The majority of shows do so little to make you love or hate their cast that extends beyond the usual tricks. Too often we are told, instead of shown, what a character is feeling. Seeing writing like in Hannibal gives me so much more to do, as an audience, than just sitting there absorbing everything you're supposed to know about the story. I like to think about what I saw, what it could mean, how it fits in to everything else I should know. And even if I don't get it right away, that doesn't bother me.

I don't know :( It's hard to explain. I have no idea how Bryan can take his vision for a show and turn it into what we see. It's utterly brilliant.

That was a fantastic episode. After the surrealism and bloody operatics permeating through the last three episodes, we firmly hurtle back towards earth, to a world of broken bodies and suffering.

First off, MVP of the episode as per usual: Frederick Motherfucking Swagged Out Chilton. The more he gets horribly hurt and disfigured, the greater his swag rockets.

tumblr_nqk0181DEz1socztlo1_540.jpg

Assembling the Avengers basically, and kinda sucking at it? Lol. Nevertheless.

Okay, and the end, where Will literally sails across the sea to find Hannibal? Instead of taking a motherfucking plane? That is the most romantic overture I've ever seen. Good Lord.

And Old Testament Alana! Goddamn. She was looking ridiculously gorgeous this episode, like a Classic Hollywood leading lady or something.

The new guy playing Mason is pretty good! I like that they basically made him look like a pig. His newfound religious fervor and creepy assistant Cordell is great. It's like... he found Jesus, but he's still a homicidal psycho who somehow became a Southern Baptist minister in some scenes. Lawl.

Margot! Didn't do much this episode, but I got high hopes.

Guys, I really hope Chilton doesn't meet the same fate he does in the movies.

Oh, and the most emotionally affecting storyline of the hour: Jack and Bella. That was so upsetting and sad and shit. I felt legit emotional. Fishburne and Torres just brought it, magnificently. This episode is all about the aftermath and consequences of trauma for the real people left after all the crazies are done with them.

Great episode. Can't wait for next week.

- Promo for next week's episode (please spoiler tag any discussion)

HOLY FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Spoilers regarding Mason Verger:

How will he die? Moray eel down the throat, courtesy of Margot, or pushed into a pit of ravenous swine, courtesy of Cordell?

So many ways for it to happen

So how's the new guy playing Mason? I'm still bummed that Pitt didn't come back, but it sounds like you guys enjoyed the character's new appearance.

He's good.

Mariolee

I thought the new guy for Mason was OK, and you can tell he's really trying but I just feel like this is definitely not the same character we got with Michael Pitt. It's fine when you think of the character's arc and how Hannibal changes him but he felt a little too orderly. Pitt's Mason was unpredictable, which is what I wanted out of this Mason as well. Hopefully we see more of that.

I thought the new guy for Mason was OK, and you can tell he's really trying but I just feel like this is definitely not the same character we got with Michael Pitt. It's fine when you think of the character's arc and how Hannibal changes him but he felt a little too orderly. Pitt's Mason was unpredictable, which is what I wanted out of this Mason as well. Hopefully we see more of that.

I kinda like the idea that Verger essentially had a religious awakening in the aftermath of his mutilation...

but he's still horrifically psychotic and a monster. The only difference is that he's likely fallen further into his delusions and baser tendencies.

Mariolee

I kinda like the idea that Verger essentially had a religious awakening in the aftermath of his mutilation...

but he's still horrifically psychotic and a monster. The only difference is that he's likely fallen further into his delusions and baser tendencies.

I mean, I always thought from the films that the religious awakening was just a front so I never really attributed any of his thought processes as actually being influenced by the Bible, but rather using the Bible to justify his thought processes. I just wanted him to be a bit more unpredictable. Like the stuff with stabbing the chair or talking to the kid was so tense because you either didn't see it coming or you didn't know what would happen next. In this episode, every scene was so obviously telegraphed with what Mason wanted. I knew immediately during his massage scene that he was going to ask that guy to help him kill Hannibal. I would've liked it more if the massage dude was actually more visibly afraid of Mason because right now Mason feels pathetic while in the one movie he still felt terrifying even though he was restrained to his wheelchair.

Seesaw15

Okay, and the end, where Will literally sails across the sea to find Hannibal? Instead of taking a motherfucking plane? That is the most romantic overture I've ever seen. Good Lord.

That part was so very dumb imo.

I'm not totally sure how it was meant to be interpreted, but I just assumed that in that scene Will was just sailing. Not sailing across the vast expanse of the Atlantic ocean, just regular ol' sailing, as a metaphor for his search for Hannibal, but also him guiding his own destiny now. Will has been shown to enjoy solitary outdoor pursuits for their own sake in the past.

If the idea that Will's visions of Abigail were superimposed over the actual physical presence of Chilton hold true (and who knows, it could have just been the one time at the hospital) then it's even harder to believe, since I don't remember Will tucking Chilton into that rickety-ass little boat before he set sail.

Crazier things have happened, I suppose.

I think that scene was a call back to season one when Will was talking to Hannibal after he killed Jacob Hobbs.

"At night I leave the lights on in my little house and walks across the flat fields. When I look back from a distance the house is like a boat on the sea. It's really the only time I feel safe."

I think that was just meant to show Will pulling away from everyone else and trying to recover in his mind palace.This show has taken some leaps in believability but I'm not sure that he's literally sailing to europe.

I think that scene was a call back to season one when Will was talking to Hannibal after he killed Jacob Hobbs.

["At night I leave the lights on in my little house and walks across the flat fields. When I look back from a distance the house is like a boat on the sea. It's really the only time I feel safe."]

I think that was just meant to show Will pulling away from everyone else and trying to recover in his mind palace.This show has taken some leaps in believability but I'm not sure that he's literally sailing to europe.

Ooooh, good call! I love that quote, I can't believe I forgot about it :x In any case, if he's trying to find the calm he had before he met Hannibal, or coming to terms with their relationship in a way that helps him, or traveling all the way to friggin' Europe, I don't mind what his sailing means. It might turn out it will be left ambiguous on purpose! Honestly, I think that would be pretty neat.

Also I looked it up and it's not really that hard to sail to Europe from the US /headdesk

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Id buy will sailing to Europe if not only because drastic times call for dramatically drastic measures.

Well, he did quote Conan the Barbarian... that is pretty much as "baser tendencies" as one gets. :p

Alpende

I love Chilton, so good to see him back. Really dug the episode too, episode 2 was my least favourite so far. I also like the actor that plays Verger now, I don't really miss the previous one that much. This one does a fine job.

One thing I think everyone here is missing, is that Chilton was in Italy with Will in Episode 2.

Chilton was definitely NOT with will in italy.

Besides the fact that will would absolutely not take chiton with him, we saw will leave on the boat by himself, we saw the inspector ask will about praying making him feel less alone, and we saw that no one was with will once he stopped imagining abigail.

Yeah, I'm also not buying the "Chilton was with Will in Italy" theory. It seems to apply at first, but it just don't see it adhering very well. Not just logistically - but I don't see Chilton having worked on Will so strongly that he's like "okay Frederick. You and me."

Yeah, I'm also not buying the "Chilton was with Will in Italy" theory. It seems to apply at first, but it just don't see it adhering very well. Not just logistically - but I don't see Chilton having worked on Will so strongly that he's like "okay Frederick. You and me."

Which is a shame, cause dat Chilton sass would help so much in Italia.

Top Bottom