• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hannibal S3 |OT| Man Destroys God. Hannibal Eats Man. Hannibal Inherits The Earth.

Chilton is a fucking treasure, no doubt, but you can't overuse him. He's the best seasoning there is, but you can't make seasoning one of your main courses.

Mariolee

*If Chilton dies anytime soon, I may end up not watching the show anymore. The brevity and comedic relief he brings is pricelesss, especially when Scott Thompson and Aaron Abrams not around. Speaking of which: when will we see them this season? During the Red Dragon portion?

*exaggeration

Margot! Didn't do much this episode, but I got high hopes.

She gave Alana some...looks. Episode 6 will, after all, be inspired by Bound:

Bound is a 1996 American neo-noir crime thriller film written and directed by The Wachowskis in their feature film directorial debut. Violet (Jennifer Tilly), who longs to escape her relationship with her mafioso boyfriend Caesar (Joe Pantoliano), enters into a clandestine affair with alluring ex-con Corky (Gina Gershon), and the two women hatch a scheme to steal $2 million of mafia money.

How much you wanna bet (speculation)
Alana and Margot start a relationship and scheme to rid Margot of Mason? OR, of course, they could be scheming over Hannibal's demise/capture.

With sexy results.

xWwAHn0.gif

Akahige

Quality episode, they really really like using already used footage this season, about 5-10 minutes of each episode seems to be stuff we've already seen. Idk if it's the NBC broadcasts but the scenes set inside dark rooms or night outside have been hard to make out this season, this episode was better but a few scenes were very dark.

I'm liking the new Verger actor, the performance definitely isn't as loud and energetic as Pitt was which I don't mind.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Quality episode, they really really like using already used footage this season, about 5-10 minutes of each episode seems to be stuff we've already seen. Idk if it's the NBC broadcasts but the scenes set inside dark rooms or night outside have been hard to make out this season, this episode was better but a few scenes were very dark.

I'm liking the new Verger actor, the performance definitely isn't as loud and energetic as Pitt was which I don't mind.

it's tough to be loud and energetic when you're paralyzed from the waist down. I'd bet that'd be a reason for Pitt to leave. he seems to like to be physical with all his characters and that'd be one hell of a hindrance for an actor like that.

Jex

Tonight's episode was beautiful, emotional, and everything I would've expected...from a premiere.

It would've been more fun, actually, to have this episode air first and then be treated to Hannibal's European travails in the second. Then Will/Chiyoh's exploits, and then the rest.

I don't know why Fuller structured the season this way. It served no purpose to stretch out the "suspense" of who was dead and who was still alive.
Not everything should follow a boring, conventional template. I'm sure they had a number of good reasons for structuring the story in this manner, beyond the notion of 'suspense'.

I feel like the most important thing that it does is give the audience the ability to be completely enraptured in the worlds of the major characters, firstly with Hannibal and Bedelia and then with Will Graham. The end of the second season was extremely...raw. Continuing straight from that emotional climax would leave the viewer too wrapped up in that element of the story rather than engaging with the characters themselves.
As soon as I saw the names Gina Torres, Raul Esparza, and Katherine Isabelle in the credits, I knew I was in for a great time. All of my faves. So sweet of Chilton to bring flowers for everyone, tbh.

I really enjoyed that directorial choice. It truly gave the impression that Chilton was trying to court them all, when of course who he truly wishes to court is Hannibal.

Of course, the other really obvious choice was to ensure that Jack and Will never looked at each other directly.
I get the slow burn, but this should have been the premiere.

I love that this show can pull an episode entirely absent the titular character save for in flashback, and yet his presence is felt everywhere. As I had expected, this was the teacup coming back together now that we're outside of the direct orbits of the decidedly deranged lead pair of Hannibal and Will; form follows function as the show is much more grounded than in the first three episodes as a result. I find it interesting that the inner torment Will expressed in episode 2 manifested itself outwardly as a confession to Jack.

The scenes between Jack and Bella - the past, present, and future of her death - were incredibly moving and genuine. I loved how gentle and reserved all of these scenes were in comparison to the pulp and bombast of the rest of the show, especially Bella's funeral: otherworldy for Jack is a beautifully lit and improbably empty church occupied only by him, her, and Will, his remaining legacy and responsibility. The easy highlight of the episode, followed closely by Chilton coming into his own and reminding everyone of what they'd lost (god he was so delightful) and Margot and Alana eyefucking each other in the horse stables. Damn, this show gets gayer every week. And I guess Mason was somewhere in there too.
I see that these are the two very different sides of the argument. Not to reiterate what I've said above, but I consider it far more interesting and powerful to observe the aftermath of the event without actually knowing the fine details.

For Bedelia and Hannibal, dwelling on those events is irrelevant. For Will, he's still living in some kind of post-death / dreamlike state.

We don't actually need to see the events to understand their consequences.

msv

I'm really lost as to why Will really likes Hannibal now. Last season he just went in so deep, because he had to, to figure out Hannibal. I get that he got a bit lost there and started to get confused about Hannibal, but it seems a bit unbelievable to me that he would actually consider Hannibal a friend after he had time to collect himself. Feel like I missed something that made Will like Hannibal enough for this.

I'm really lost as to why Will really likes Hannibal now. Last season he just went in so deep, because he had to, to figure out Hannibal. I get that he got a bit lost there and started to get confused about Hannibal, but it seems a bit unbelievable to me that he would actually consider Hannibal a friend after he had time to collect himself. Feel like I missed something that made Will like Hannibal enough for this.
It's not that he likes Hannibal per se. I think that by "friend" he means that he feels most himself around Hannibal and most understood by Hannibal.

It makes sense that it's confusing to the audience, because it's probably confusing to Will most of all.

My theory is this: in order to seduce Hannibal in back half of S2, Will had to fake his feelings convincingly enough for Lecter to believe them to be true. Unfortunately, Hannibal's charm, their mutual understanding and that pesky empathy disorder that Will has that caused him to be especially attuned to Hannibal's feelings for him - it all piled up to result in hell of a confusion. Basically, the bait was eaten in the process and Will got in too deep. He fell in love too.

Pair it with the guilt over Abigail: "If only if I agreed to flee with him, no one had to die". And this is true, if only Will had taken Lecter on his offer during their Last Supper, only his soul would be lost, but Jack and Alana would be okay (mostly anyway) and Abigail would be spared. So even if he kind of felt tempted to go before Jack's plan went to hell, in hindsight, he wishes he did this even more now.

In conclusion: Will is broken, probably beyond repair. He loves the monster and love isn't rational. It will take time to get over Hannibal for him, provided he (or either of them) live that long.

Helmholtz

They've all had substance, though. Internal character work and layered narrative symbolism are substance; it's just that this show underlines and bolsters its substance with style to match (and to spare.)
Yeah, they did, what I meant to say was this lastest episode felt more like what I've come to expect from the show based on the first two seasons. The pacing was a lot quicker and there was a lot more information being dished out. The first three episodes definitely had substance in terms of the characters though.

I like Joe Anderson's Mason. As others have said, it's a little closer to Oldman's Mason, which was one of the few things from Hannibal that could/should be saved. It's not the Joker-y portrayal that Pitt was doing, but I think having the madness dulled/subdued a little isn't necessarily a bad thing considering what happened to him.

Moff

I loved Pitt's mason, he was the highlight of season 2 in my opinion.
anderson is good, but he is no highlight. at least so far.

basik

I loved season 1 & 2 of this show....but season 3 has been a mess... the writers dont seem to know where to go and the plot isnt good. I'm sad the show was cancelled but I understand why...the writers didnt know what to do!

Alpende

I loved season 1 & 2 of this show....but season 3 has been a mess... the writers dont seem to know where to go and the plot isnt good. I'm sad the show was cancelled but I understand why...the writers didnt know what to do!

The show was cancelled because of the numbers, not because of what the writers did? Anyway, it seems that episode 4 paved the path for this season. You now know what everyone wants.

Hannibal FB just posted this. Is this a photo from the set of the last episode, just photoshopped/makeup'd to make them look young, or an actual wedding photo? If it's the actual wedding photo, did they use her real wedding dress in the show? Looks the same.

11667419_920748067947964_1970254049560590326_n.jpg

I really liked that scene. I guess it's cheating since they're actually married but they had that little shine in their eyes. Bella and Jack's relationship became a wonderfully realistic and "positive" look at love and death versus the rest of the show.

Hannibal FB just posted this. Is this a photo from the set of the last episode, just photoshopped/makeup'd to make them look young, or an actual wedding photo? If it's the actual wedding photo, did they use her real wedding dress in the show? Looks the same.

I really liked that scene. I guess it's cheating since they're actually married but they had that little shine in their eyes. Bella and Jack's relationship became a wonderfully realistic and "positive" look at love and death versus the rest of the show.

They've been married since 2002. Likely real.

Adorable.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

That looks like the Zoe Washburne I fell for.

I saw this earlier, they're so sweet!! <3

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
So many ways for it to happen

More on Verger:
We've seen shots of the eel several times, but then there's creepy AF Cordell...maybe a hybrid? Shove an eel down his throat and toss him into the pig pit?

I don't think it's dead because we already know a potential seasons 4 would be even shorter. And considering how fast they shoot, it wouldn't be that much different than a normal film shoot. It's also something that doesn't need to be shot right away. They could take a little time off. I think it really depends on how much Fuller and the producers wants to fight for it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I have no idea what's going on this season. They must have known this was the last season ahead of time. This isn't the sort of thing you write expecting a fourth season on network TV.

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 3: episode 5 "Contorno"

Jack Crawford and Inspector Pazzi search for clues that will lead them closer to Hannibal Lecter’s location in Florence, but the promise of riches offered by Mason Verger threatens to corrupt Pazzi’s quest for redemption.

ivysaur12

Banned
Paging Dr. ivysaur...

Yup, that's what happens when you premiere it so late. Same thing happened to The Whispers.

It's just way too complicated for someone to pick up at this point. I don't see why anyone would bother :-(

There's no deal in place yet, so they don't want to sign contracts. Makes sense.

No, not at all. All actors are under contract as long as the show is on the air until a certain time. If the show is renewed, your option is "picked up" for another (this can get more complicated with long running shows, but in general, yeah). Once the options on the cast lapse, it's basically impossible for the show to go anywhere else, since the cast is free to do whatever they like now without having to be in first position on Hannibal.

Unfortunately, the options just happened to lapse very soon after NBC canceled it, basically making it a herculean task for any deal to be put into place. And since Amazon hasn't scooped it up yet, I doubt they're interested, and I doubt any linear networks would be either since I can really only see a life for it on streaming.

I would consider that a knell for the show really. Had somebody picked up the show prior it would have been a much easier prospect to revive it, and I imagine knowledge that these would expire very shortly would have been made clear in any negotiations. If anybody was going to have picked it up they would have already done so prior to these expiring so it would be much easier from an organisational point of view. I think the show is done.

Honestly, between Fuller's comments about what the season would deal with, and the possibility that it would be a much shorter season, combined with where the show will be ending, I'm not too unhappy with the loss. It's a miracle we got to here anyway.

jett

D-Member
I would consider that a knell for the show really. Had somebody picked up the show prior it would have been a much easier prospect to revive it, and I imagine knowledge that these would expire very shortly would have been made clear in any negotiations. If anybody was going to have picked it up they would have already done so prior to these expiring so it would be much easier from an organisational point of view. I think the show is done.

Honestly, between Fuller's comments about what the season would deal with, and the possibility that it would be a much shorter season, combined with where the show will be ending, I'm not too unhappy with the loss. It's a miracle we got to here anyway.

I think it will end in a satisfactory manner. I wouldn't have minded if either S1's or S2's finale had been the series finale to be honest.

Um, that's not good news.

How involved is Fuller in these types of negotiations? He's seemed rather resigned from the moment the NBC news broke, which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Not that he needs to be crying out in the streets or anything, but fuller plz

Blader

Um, that's not good news.

How involved is Fuller in these types of negotiations? He's seemed rather resigned from the moment the NBC news broke, which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Not that he needs to be crying out in the streets or anything, but fuller plz

He can pitch story things to make it sound more palatable to new distribution partners but I imagine Gaumont is doing the bulk of the negotiations since it's their show.

And since Amazon hasn't scooped it up yet, I doubt they're interested, and I doubt any linear networks would be either since I can really only see a life for it on streaming.

This is the what makes me assume it's most likely dead. With it hitting a 0.4 last week I can't imagine any cable channel would pick it up, since they know the ratings would almost certainly drop with the move and it's already just too damn low.

Amazon's the only station that could realistically save it with their exclusive streaming deal. If they haven't announced they are yet, it's because they don't want to. And if they don't want to, that's it.

Fuller's already focused on American Gods for the rest of the year, and Fishburne just signed on to the Roots remake. Everybody's already moving on. It sucks, yes, but maybe we should try to too and just enjoy these last 9 episodes while we can.

bidguy

Banned
i really hope they give this an ending instead of a cliffhanger since it doesnt seem like anyone is interested in picking it up

i really hope they give this an ending instead of a cliffhanger since it doesnt seem like anyone is interested in picking it up

Fuller said a year or two ago that they get such regular bad ratings that they've just went ahead and tried to make each season finale seem like it could be a finale if the show was cancelled before or shortly after it aired.

There was a genuine chance last season's finale could have been the ending to the last Hannibal episode. As long as this season's finale is even less of a downer, it should be a great end in comparison.

Fuller said a year or two ago that they get such regular bad ratings that they've just went ahead and tried to make each season finale seem like it could be a finale if the show was cancelled before or shortly after it aired.

There was a genuine chance last season's finale could have been the ending to the last Hannibal episode. As long as this season's finale is even less of a downer, it should be a great end in comparison.
I don't think he's serious when he says that.

I mean, how on earth is it a fitting series finale for Will to be imprisoned for Hannibal's crimes or for all the main characters to be dead/not dead?

I'm sure the show won't end this season with a nice, neat bow, but hopefully it leaves fewer threads hanging than the prior finales.

jonezer4

I loved Pitt's mason, he was the highlight of season 2 in my opinion.
anderson is good, but he is no highlight. at least so far.

In Anderson's defense, Pitt got to walk around with full use of his countenance and body, while Anderson is in a wheelchair with an inch of prosthetics over his face. Anderson is forced to act through a pinhole, essentially only using his voice. I don't envision Pitt being able to do much more (and who knows, that could have been part of his rationale for bailing).

I mean, how on earth is it a fitting series finale for Will to be imprisoned for Hannibal's crimes or for all the main characters to be dead/not dead?

I'm sure the show won't end this season with a nice, neat bow, but hopefully it leaves fewer threads hanging than the prior finales.

He definitely meant it--he said the same thing at the Austin TV fest a few weeks ago. He said it's been interesting, because they basically have to tear down and restart each season, in a lot of ways.

Regardless, really sad news. I kinda agree--I thought this would be picked up almost immediately by some other service. Amazon passing sounds like a death knell.

Blader

Jenn M. was right all along!!

Agreed about the first season, but I think Will and Jack finally catching Hannibal only to be completely slaughtered and Hannibal escape scot-free in S2 is actually a pretty good series finale.

Top Bottom