• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hannibal S3 |OT| Man Destroys God. Hannibal Eats Man. Hannibal Inherits The Earth.

Mumei

Agreed about the first season, but I think Will and Jack finally catching Hannibal only to be completely slaughtered and Hannibal escape scot-free in S2 is actually a pretty good series finale.

Yes. I agree on the second season as series finale. Hannibal winning. <3

I wonder if they'll end this season similar to how Red Dragon ended
Chilton: "A young woman from the FBI is here to see you."
Lecter: "What is her name?"

Yes. I agree on the second season as series finale. Hannibal winning. <3
I don't see it as him winning, though.

He was as emotionally broken by what happened as the others were physically broken, and so ending on such a hollow victory would not have been satisfying at all.

Basically, the show's not over till I say it is
lol.gif

jonezer4

How RD actually ended would be better.

Yeah, aping the movie's nostalgic wink-wink be pretty lame, especially since it's already been done. That's to say nothing of the fact that Fuller didn't have (nor apparently really want) the rights to Silence, so they logistically couldn't/wouldn't have filmed this ending.

Wiktor

Would be a shame if it ended. But still...I never thought it would last three seasons and it will wrap up the Will's part of the saga, making for a pretty neat ending point if it's done.

Altough..damn...for the last like 4 years no show I was a fan of got canceled. And now in a span of few months two did...and both by NBC's hand :D I guess I got spoiled.

Somewhat spoilers for season four and three's ending point (?).

Fuller made comments to the effect of how season four would have explored Will and Hannibal's dynamic in a way we've not yet seen on the show. It seems fair to say it won't be able to end as Red Dragon actually ended if this would have been the case.

I think ending it at a "Dr. Lecter, somebody's here to see you" could actually work in this case as it provides a lead-in to The Silence of the Lamb movie, and lets the series end where that concluded. In saying that, I don't think it will end there, nor would it be very satisfying.

ivysaur12

Banned
This is the what makes me assume it's most likely dead. With it hitting a 0.4 last week I can't imagine any cable channel would pick it up, since they know the ratings would almost certainly drop with the move and it's already just too damn low.

I also think it's a bad idea for Amazon not to pick it up. Transparent is great, but they're not really hitting any mass awareness of their shows. At least having Hannibal gets you in the news cycle. Seems myopic. Oh well, it is what it is.

If Amazon isn't picking it up they're fools. This would make people actually pay attention to their terrible streaming service.
Well, maybe not millions but from how dead the service is even a little publicity would be a miracle for it.
This combined with all the rumors of Netflix showing interest but it being impossible with the Amazon deal just makes me really despise them in this situation lol.

Either way, Hannibal has retaught me a very valuable lesson about network television and that's to just show absolutely 0% trust in it and only watch shows after they've completely finished airing.

Amazon doesn't really have a lot of reason to pick it up. They have the full show regardless, and they wouldn't get a whole lot more new customers than already watch the show there and on TV.

The whole reason it got cancelled is the network eventually concluded the viewers they regularly got weren't enough to justify the price paid for the show, and unless it's bought for basically 6 figures it's not going to get enough viewers that wouldn't be a disappointment. It was an incredible niche program, but still a niche program.

It's like the Twitter trend. Millions were tweeting about it for hours, but at the end of the day, where were those millions when they were needed and it mattered most (watching the program on time)?

They were given a rare gift, but they didn't want it until it was gone.

-griffy-

Banned
It's like the Twitter trend. Millions were tweeting about it for hours, but at the end of the day, where were those millions when they were needed and it mattered most (watching the program on time)?

I think those people were watching the show when it aired. Hannibal has always had very strong social media presence, thanks in no small part to the frequent participation on Twitter and Tumblr by people like Bryan Fuller, the Hannibal writer's room, the official Hannibal account, Martha DeLaurentis and stars like Aaron Abrams, Hettiene Park and Kacey Rohl (not to mention all the positive posts from various TV critics). It's just that Hannibal's fans are disproportionately much more talkative on things like Twitter compared to other TV shows.

Honestly, I've been a huge fan for basically its whole run and this is the first year I actually watch it on-time, because we never had basic network access. I still bought every season pass and watched it within a day, but going online-only would help alleviate that problem.

I'm not trying to say that would save it, of course, and I agree--even my roommate was tweeting/posting complaints about people not watching the show, and he hadn't even watched the latest episode, days after it aired/we got the cancellation news.

Slacktivism at work.

ivysaur12

Banned
EW revealed it was bought at a price of less than 200k per episode.

It also seems like those deals were contingent upon airing on a major US broadcast network. The price would most likely be the same as a normal TV show otherwise, since those deals would no longer exist internationally. I'm not really privy to the details of the deals, but Fuller sort of said as much and it seems like it'd be fair to guestimate, since I've heard of other international co-production deals being structured like that.

Amazon doesn't really have a lot of reason to pick it up. They have the full show regardless, and they wouldn't get a whole lot more new customers than already watch the show there and on TV.

The whole reason it got cancelled is the network eventually concluded the viewers they regularly got weren't enough to justify the price paid for the show, and unless it's bought for basically 6 figures it's not going to get enough viewers that wouldn't be a disappointment. It was an incredible niche program, but still a niche program.

They were given a rare gift, but they didn't want it until it was gone.

The incentive for Amazon, I would suppose, is that while the show doesn't have a massive audience in the ratings, it has a very active and devoted fanbase in addition to a lot of critical appeal. Amazon's Transparent received quite a lot of coverage, and has been very highly praised, but their offering otherwise is pretty weak, and not very well known (I actually don't know of any other shows they have outside of Transparent). The goal, if they manage to keep a diverse selection of relatively niche appeal shows with high critical reception, is that they will be seen as a provider who appreciate quality shows and allow for a deal of leniency to creators so long as they are highly regarded. Simultaneously, there is the hope that viewers will recognise this, and subscribe as only on Amazon can they view such a diverse, unique, and high quality range of shows as they couldn't survive elsewhere. In doing this, content providers turn towards Amazon, and then they can attract much bigger shows with a greater appeal to viewers, and it creates an environment that they would hope would be self-sustaining.

Whether or not this is realistic or economically feasible is another thing, but had they secured Hannibal they would be securing it for the critical appeal, and for the message it would send to other content providers (that they value quality programming) more than it would be for the viewers Hannibal itself would attract (that obviously is a factor, but I don't think it would necessarily be the major factor in this hypothetical given that it has so few viewers).

kirblar

Amazon's network offerings basically exists as a vehicle to get people to sub to Prime, right? I think that makes sense for things like the HBO stuff, but I'm not sure that meshes with new content whatsoever.

Top Bottom