• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hannibal S3 |OT| Man Destroys God. Hannibal Eats Man. Hannibal Inherits The Earth.

thoughts on episode 8:
It feels like they are going backwards, I don't want to go through those supervillian of the week stuff again

Kuroyume

Banned
Well, you only missed like 4 minutes maybe... And the content was pretty much all show already in that Comic con Red Dragon trailer.

Blader

Yeah, I'll agree that the last three episodes before Hannibal was captured were pretty good. I didn't much care for the other episodes though. They felt completely unnecessary and everything that happened in them (which was very very little) could and should have been condensed into one, maybe two episodes.

And totally agreed. Armitage was incredible.

I honestly had no issue with Hannibal's (or even Jack's) side of things in those first four episodes. Personally my only sticking point with the beginning of this season was the Will/Chiyoh subplot which felt bizarrely half-baked and never even really amounted to anything.

I kind of understood that they lied about Hannibal, to cover their own asses in their dealings with Mason. Like "We say you are insane, you don't mention what we did."
Makes sense, thanks!

Oh no, Jack with the temptation. Will, go home and be a family man!

Bryan Fuller tweeted this:

CKznevCVEAAvaZv.jpg

XD

Has a television show ever displayed the dead bodies of children so graphically before?

Like, the glass in their bloody eyes and mouths...man...

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Has a television show ever displayed the dead bodies of children so graphically before?

It's so horrifying...It's one of the grimiest sights I have seen. Dolarhyde is one insane piece of shit. My God, I hope no one writes about him in the Tattler. That would be a death wish. That would be courting with one hell of an awful fate.

Kuroyume

Banned
That was a good episode. Def felt like a new season following last week. Crime scene was the best.

Btw, what the fuck NBC? No preview for next week? Assholes

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Network tv? Almost never. That actually stood out the most to me, you almost never get scenes like this on network TV or cable. Usually child death is implied but not shown.

Even that season 1 episode with the kids didn't end up airing in the US because of Sandy Hook.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Is Hannibal's jail cell actually that posh or is it a piece of his memory palace? His accommodations plus the fact that they allow him to cook, he probably isn't too hung up on being behind glass.

I loved loved loved the callbacks to the pilot. I know some people hate the "This is my design" stuff but I had a huge grin on my face when we saw Will slowly begin his process again.

This really did feel like a new season.

ezekial45

Banned
Is Hannibal's jail cell actually that posh or is it a piece of his memory palace? His accommodations plus the fact that they allow him to cook, he probably isn't too hung up on being behind glass.

I loved loved loved the callbacks to the pilot. I know some people hate the "This is my design" stuff but I had a huge grin on my face when we saw Will slowly begin his process again.

The Italian church is a part of his fantasy, but yeah they gave him a really nice cell. Hannibal is such a huge payday for Chilton, he'd want to keep him happy while in confinement so he'll be sociable.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I want to take this time to remind everyone that Manhunter, is by far the best adaptation of a Thomas Harris novel ever, with SOTL being very close behind it. But Manhunter is incredible eighties cinema perfection, with one of the best OSTs ever.

Edit. I meant in terms of cinema. NBC Hannibal is most likely the best tv show ever, and it's better than any of the films IMO.

AoM

I'm a little disappointed with the Molly/Will/Jack dynamic. They cut out a decent amount, changing Molly's character to seemingly get to the murders more quickly. I don't really understand it given the amount of time they have. Also, if the
marriage not lasting long ends up being the worst case scenario
, it would make sense to not change her original attitude. Although I don't think the actress was that good in these scenes, I hope we get more from her, possibly having second thoughts about all this. I did enjoy the Dolarhyde stuff, though―particularly him hearing something/feeling a presence while alone.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member

I think his cell really is that posh. He is Chilton's chef now, only the best for him.

I'm glad #thisismydesign is back, it's nice to see this Will again.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I just watched silence of the lambs and I couldn't help but laugh at how tame it is compared to Hannibal in terms of violence.

TV has changed a lot.

awp69

That was the best episode of the season by a goddamn mile.

Nah, that has to go to last week's, which IMO is only second to the second season finale.

I'm going to love The Red Dragon arc. But even if they never get the rights to Silence of the Lambs, I would love to - and hope someday we can - see Fuller's vision on Hannibal beyond that. Minor book/film spoiler:
Post escape. It just is so much more fun with Hannibal on the loose. Playing games.

ezekial45

Banned
What a magnificent episode. It makes me more upset that this is gonna be it as far as the TV series goes. For real, this episode was probably one of the best this series has to offer. They totally nailed it, and I'm really excited to see where their interpretation of RD will go.

Kevin

It still kills me that most people wouldn't even give this show a chance. I could barely get anyone to even watch a single episode. They were not only not interested but seemingly against the idea of giving it a try completely. What a shame! Actually it seems lately that most good scripted shows that fall into the genres of horror, sci-fi or fantasy are not doing well enough to really survive. I guess everyone wants their hundreds of police procedurals, poop joke comedies and reality tv shows. No room for well-written tv shows on network tv anymore. :/

Monocle

A few things:

- Richard Armitage was very well cast. He nails the character of Dolarhyde. The physicality, the madness. Excellent. (Also, that was really cool imagery where the lights blared out of his film-wrapped head.)

- Hannibal's incarceration is being handled as wonderfully as I'd hoped. I love that he augments reality with his imagination. I love that he still has tete-a-tetes with his old friends and colleagues, and that all pretenses have been dropped now that everyone knows he had them dine on people. (Alana's beer was people after all! Great callback.) I love how he's confined because he chose to be. Fuller clearly took a literal interpretation of film Hannibal's line about the "inconvenience of being incarcerated." Hannibal is treating the whole experience like a holiday. It seems he can feel at home anywhere, whether he's sitting at Mason Verger's table or locked in a cell.

- Speculation:
So... we already know Freddie's going to run afoul of Dolarhyde, which will be especially chilling now that we've gotten to know her. But the last couple episodes seemed to all but confirm that Alana is doomed too. It seems unlikely to me that Hannibal would remind her he keeps his promises, twice, if this wasn't leading to him making good on his death threat in the S2 finale. I wouldn't be surprised if Alana took book/film Chilton's place as Hannibal's first target after he makes his escape. Alana's would be an appropriately big death for the finale. Then again, Hannibal could nab Chilton too. I hope he lets Chilton live though. His tart wit and jaunty gallows humor make him the perfect witness to Hannibal's exploits. I want him to survive this entire adaptation.

It still kills me that most people wouldn't even give this show a chance. I could barely get anyone to even watch a single episode. They were not only not interested but seemingly against the idea of giving it a try completely. What a shame! Actually it seems lately that most good scripted shows that fall into the genres of horror, sci-fi or fantasy are not doing well enough to really survive. I guess everyone wants their hundreds of police procedurals, poop joke comedies and reality tv shows. No room for well-written tv shows on network tv anymore. :/
Yeah, if you ever want to chip your teeth on someone's hard headedness, just try to sell them on a TV show or movie they have a preconceived impression of, based on a laughably dim idea of its subject matter. I've this happen with Hannibal, Mad Max, The Lord of the Rings... it's maddening. People who don't give great things a fair shot really suck the joy out of life sometimes.

Grizzlyjin

I'm more scared for Alana than anyone. Hannibal always keeps his promises.

I know things are bleak, but I really hope this show finds a new home next year or the year after. Honestly I'd be okay with just one more season. I feel like they're never going to get those Silence of the Lambs rights, so they'd have to go all original after this point.

Top Bottom