• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hannibal S3 |OT| Man Destroys God. Hannibal Eats Man. Hannibal Inherits The Earth.

The last part is why I'm thinking
she could still die by wheelchair as a tribute to Hannibal.

(books)
I think what we can look at here is who can Dollarhyde be pushed to, to find out more about Hannibal, and to 'set the record straight' on Dollarhyde. As I see it, there are four possibilities; Chilton, Alana, Freddie, and Will. Of those, Will is obviously not going to be the individual who dies, for obvious reasons. This leaves Chilton, Alana, and Freddie.

What suggests Chilton? Well, we know he just published something regarding Hannibal, which Hannibal rebutted. He has a history of making damaging claims to people, and being rather unethical. He also seeks acclaim. What could happen? Hannibal could persuade Chilton to write something about Dollarhyde. Chilton, already, is interested in Dollarhyde. He has a connection to Hannibal, Will, and if he publishes something may offend "The Tooth Fairy" (a title which he will certainly use). Another thing to consider is that if Chilton dies, they can, through plot magic, push Alana into control of the mental institution where she can 'torture' Hannibal, and sets her up to be the old friend he has for dinner fulfilling his promise.

What suggests Alana? Well, the best thing in favour of Alana is that she's connected to Will, Jack, and Hannibal, and the show has been extremely heavily pushing towards her immediate demise. It also works as a switch from it being Freddie. What works against it being her? Well, how heavily they've been hinting her demise. It could be a bait-and-switch. It would also somewhat drop the 'Margot and Alana' plotline, but that could be carried by Margot I suppose. Another more immediate factor is that she lacks the ability to directly offend Dollarhyde, but this isn't hugely necessary as Hannibal wants her dead. I don't know if Hannibal would be satisfied with not being the one to kill her himself.

What suggests Freddie? Well, she is the original victim. They've set up Dollarhyde checking the papers. Hannibal wants her dead at some stage for her rudeness. She has the means to offend Dollarhyde. She has a strong connection to Alana, Hannibal, Will, and Chilton. She is also quite a disposable character. What points against her? The only real thing is that her death has already been used. They've been quite faithful in killing characters how they've died in the books and movies, and given that her death was a fake death, perhaps Hannibal will see it fitting that she actually dies in that manner. Another thing is that perhaps given the predictability of it they'll choose to subvert expectations. She has little purpose in the story.

It's hard to say, but they've a few possibilities open to them.

I remember thinking one of this seasons bigger "Oh my God that is FUCKING GROSS UGH UGH" moments would be
Dolarhyde biting the lips off Freddie Lounds. Although the foreshadowing of Alana's death being as strong as it is, I'm wondering if Lounds is going to go out the way she's supposed to go out, in the wheelchair (as a kind of a "you guys thought you were slick, didn't you" kinda move) and Alana is the one who gets her face chewed off. Francis gives her a kiss goodbye from Hannibal, if you will

edit: or hell, maybe Hannibal does it himself. Who knows with Fuller

ezekial45

Banned
Interestingly enough, the final episode (according to Wikipedia) is called
"The Wrath of the Lamb"
. They said it would end in place that would allow them to have some breathing room from now until when they could pick up this show again, so the title is certainly great.

Kuroyume

Banned
tumblr_ns5rcoBvQz1rvs9wso1_1280.png

Sometimes you can’t help but go Mads when you plead insanity.

ezekial45

Banned
No idea about that, but just that there's almost no chance now of a season 4.

Ok, you almost got me there. Fuller and Dancy said that S3 ends in a good spot that will allow to them move onto other things for period and possibly revisit later in a different format. But yeah, I'm totally at peace with S3 being the final episodes as a TV series.

I lost hope when we learned Amazon passed on it. That was really the last chance.

I still think MGM will miss a big opportunity if they don't push forward with Bryan Fuller's Silence of the Lambs. Exploit the name MGM.

Veelk

Banned
I'm really gonna miss this when this is over. I feel like a lot of detractors here don't like the big fans of the show here because they feel like they act as if the show has no flaws. I lurk more than I should (blame a busy schedule), but I want to bring myself to say that I atleast do not think that is so. And I don't mean that Hannibal is flawed like any other show, but it's still pretty awesome. I mean that there are plenty of nigh crippling blindspots. The show spent the first two seasons showing flat out impossible murders, whose architects would have no chance whatsoever at pulling off without leaving a mountain of evidence pointing in their direction. Not to mention how the main cast acts nothing like regular people. They are all so soft spoken the face of unspeakable horrors that any normal person can't even conceive. Anyone who wouldn't be catatonic would be either a convulsing ball of tears and/or rage (Margot is the most noticable example of this. It is beyond me how she hadn't straggled her brother in early childhood).

What makes this show remarkable is that all those flaws serve as gateways to things that no other show has done before. The murders may be impossible, but whats the alternative? Making them mundane, ordinary murders? No thank you, I'll enjoy my carnival show of abject horror, thank you very much. And the characters acting very little like 'normal' human beings implies a need for people to be 'normal' to be worth caring about, which is bullshit. The relationship Hannibal and Will have is fascinating in how they communicate affection through harm, and harm through kindness. I always liked the Hannibal movies, but I was never convinced with Hannibal as an unquantifiable creature of murder, or Will being anything more than the typical competent detective you see in most mystery stories. This show, with it's impossible murders, with it's symbolic imagery, and its bizarre and otherworldly character has more than convinced me of the premise Harris penned so long ago. Harris' Lector's alienness was described in physical terms, such as his purple-red eyes or how his heartbeat doesn't rise above normal when doing things that should fill him with adrenaline. Fuller's Lector's alienness is primarily based in his regard for other people (specifically, those he considers his friends), which is unlike anything I've ever seen before. Harris' lector wasn't simple, but I didn't feel like I was stuck in a dark room with a creature I wasn't sure was there or not, like I do with Fuller's version.

It's a show that turns it's flaws into a strength, and by doing so brings a vision that no one else could have brought. That is something truly remarkable, and the reason I love the show like I do. It wouldn't be as good if it wasn't as flawed.

Levi

Banned
I feel blessed that we even had 3 seasons. They got to tell the story leading up to Red Dragon, and they got to adapt (in their special way) 3 of the canon novels. Did I really want them to be able to do a season that takes place after
Hannibal's escape
in SOTL? Yes. Very much so. But that might be a good story for a movie.

Veelk

Banned
Not that I doubt ivy's word per se, but shouldn't that post come with an official source? I also thought fuller wanted to try again when the show actually ends?

kirblar

Fuller all but tanked it with the decision to join up with American Gods before they had even started shopping S4 of Hannibal around.

Not that I doubt ivy's word per se, but shouldn't that post come with an official source? I also thought fuller wanted to try again when the show actually ends?
ivy works in the industry, and at this point, I trust him a lot more than Fuller and his empty, fanbase-placating platitudes.

Dude knew what was up the moment he decided to join American Gods. Hope it was worth it >__<

Blader

If Twin Peaks can return, anything is possible.

Hannibal S4 confirmed for 2040 release.

I really don't think there's anything to try though -- no one wants it if they: a) can't also have the streaming rights for the first three seasons, and b) have to wait a year for Fuller to finish American Gods first. With the show's minuscule ratings there's no reason for anyone to jump through either, let alone both, of those hoops.

ivysaur12

Banned
I really don't think there's anything to try though -- no one wants it if they: a) can't also have the streaming rights for the first three season, and b) have to wait a year for Fuller to finish American Gods first. With the show's minuscule ratings there's no reason for anyone to jump through either, let alone both, of those hoops.

Yup. That's it. :-(

Oh also that no one is under contract anymore. Womp :-(

God, what a depressing final 30 posts to read after watching that awesome episode and catching up with the thread... before posting about it myself :( Awesome.

Anyway, good episode. At this point I'm used to the first few minutes being sans dialogue, lol. It's crazy n' cool seeing Armitage as such a huge imposing man, as opposed to a smaller, stout-er imposing dwarf :p I'm so glad I get to see him again, especially in a show that I love so much! He fits right in with everyone else as far as caliber goes. Everything leading up to that film/projector face was fuckin' creepy as shit, second only to the main crime scene. Because goddamn.

Honestly though? With this arc, I think I'm most looking forward to seeing how the very first murder we saw in s1e1 fits in to this story. UGH I'm just so curious!!

I think the element I found least likeable here was Molly; I'm not sure yet if the rest of the cast is really running circles around her (though it feels like it) or if she just feels like an odd, out of place element due to being such a recent and jarring newcomer.
Agreed, definitely. Molly is... kinda boring? So far, at least. I mean, we didn't see much of her, but she definitely doesn't feel like she's on the same level as the rest of the cast for whatever reason: acting, chemistry, a representative of a "family" element that has thus far been largely absent from the series, etc. Maybe she'll find her place in their world, but there's not much time left for that to happen :\ Good luck to her with that :(

I like how they make you wonder "are they going to do the pendulum thing? Are they?" and then they totally do the pendulum thing
:D
Hahahaha!!! I was totally thinking this as well, and then it happened and I sighed and was happy :) ...Y'know, all things considering... :\ I did get a little twinge of nostalgia when I saw that whole sequence :( I'm really gonna miss this show when it's gone ;(

Ah man Ellen Page as Clarice would be amazing. I'd love to draw that someday haha. Here's what I drew so far for this season

Feran, I have to say, your art is fucking amazing. That 'nakama' one is one of my favorites EVER. I laugh every time I see it <3 The whole cast looks so fuckin' great in your style! I must've missed your new ones behind spoiler tags this weekend; they look so, so good!! (&#9685;&#969;&#9685;&#10047;) Thank you so much for sharing your talent with us <3 <3 ALSO! I sincerely hope
whoever wins your tumblr dealie requests more Hannibal art because I can't get enough of it omigod :x /hyperventilates

...Clearly this is the kind of post that happens when I can't watch the show with everyone else :( Sorry gais

Zaph

This is all Fuller's plan to give himself time to acquire the rights to Clarice Starling and then find a break in Jessica Chastain's schedule. Believe.

THIS EP WAS SO GREAT I VOMITED THIS OUT
As always, absolutely gorgeous work. If you consider requests, I'd love to see your take on the scene where Dolarhyde's face is wrapped in 8mm film.

TheOddOne

- TVLine: Hannibal's Richard Armitage on the Tooth Fairy's Wordless Introduction and 'Tragic Love Story'.
Ultimately, though, creator Bryan Fuller convinced Armitage that Hannibal‘s “Red Dragon” arc would be more about “the exploration of a man who looks like you or me, who has the potential for falling in love, but who has trodden a path which has led him to this awful state of anxiety, to this place where he is taking these families’ lives,” the actor continues. “I felt that that exploration was going to be interesting because ultimately, casting judgement on what people like Dolarhyde do is very easy, but to actually attempt to understand and empathize with someone that goes to that place is more difficult.”
There is one minor spoiler in the interview, but for most part it's spoiler free.

Wiktor

This is all Fuller's plan to give himself time to acquire the rights to Clarice Starling and then find a break in Jessica Chastain's schedule. Believe.

A year from now...a press release
Lifetime channel announces Clarice tv show, based on Silence of The Lambs novel by Thomas Harris.
Brian Fuller was named as a showrunner and Mads Mikkelsen has been cast as Hannibal Lecter.
Fox.jpg

This was his design.

Veelk

Banned
BTW, I heard there was a Hannibal cook book that had the recipes for all the foods made in the show. Is that still happening?

Top Bottom