• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hannibal S3 |OT| Man Destroys God. Hannibal Eats Man. Hannibal Inherits The Earth.

Leeness

Beautiful.

The music was astonishing omg

But that poor vet though. He must be thinking, "Where did they find these two psychos?"
lol.gif

The whole scene ;_;

So beautiful.

Edit: That final scene tho.

ezekial45

Banned
Yeah I got that, but didn't he also,
unscrew the end of the phone and put something in it? Didn't catch what it was though.

He used the gum wrapper foil to cause interference with the phone connection. He was being directed to another number, but the foil reset the connection and sent him to the regular operator.

It's straight from the book. They did the same scene in Manhunter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuD9_Axxp1o

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Great episode.

I watched Manhunter the other day and it's interesting seeing the different takes on scenes that were in both Manhunter and in Hannibal. Dolarhyde is a much more interesting character here than in the movie.

Really wonky CGI when they show the dragon and when some white things are falling. I couldn't tell what those were supposed to be.

Goddamn, what an episode.

Tiger
scene was beautifully done. Rutina Wesley is a great actor, consistently one of the better parts of True Blood, especially when everything went to shit.

The whole Francis/Rebecca relationship is very interesting.

The scene between Dolarhyde and Hannibal was fantastic, especially
when they shot it as if they were speaking to each other in the same room. I would love to see more of those kind of scenes. Maybe a scene where Dolarhyde and Will talk to each other on the phone and imagine themselves in the woods speaking to one another.

No Sassy
Chilton or Alana this week :/ Or Jack, Freddy, or FBI guys. Wow.

The last scene is really weird though as
Francis basically just blew his identity. He took down a museum employee, body slammed Will, and did it in a public place. His face will be everywhere! Not to mention the destruction of a Western European art masterpiece.

I wish we could get another couple of seasons and extended arcs examining the lives of the killers as Will/Hannibal/Feds hunt them. Utterly fascinating.

Also, the scene with Bedelia and Will was fantastic. Almost a sense of closure and warning for Will. But what exactly happened with Neil? Why'd he just start choking?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So wierd watching this episode after seeing Manhunter last night. All the same scenes.

I was gonna watch 2002 Red Dragon next, but I think I'll have to take a break on that for awhile...

So wierd watching this episode after seeing Manhunter last night. All the same scenes.

I was gonna watch 2002 Red Dragon next, but I think I'll have to take a break on that for awhile...

I would definitely wait, I imagine the story will stay very similar and it might lessen the impact of the rest of the season for you.

Glad to hear we got another great episode, shame I have to wait until Saturday to devour it.

jett

D-Member
It's amazing how much better the second half of this season is. I'm digging all of the changes they're making. Recently rewatched Red Dragon cuz I was in the mood, and this show is definitely doing all of that better.

kirblar

It's amazing how much better the second half of this season is. I'm digging all of the changes they're making. Recently rewatched Red Dragon cuz I was in the mood, and this show is definitely doing all of that better.
And Red Dragon is a good film, too. I skimmed through it last night to refresh, and I came upon the realization that an alteration to the story this season might be
Alana/Margot getting killed off as a third set of victims.

Kuroyume

Banned
Does anyone know how the shows that are in Hannibal's old Thursday time slot are doing relative to Hannibal's past ratings in that time slot?

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 3: episode 10 "And the Woman Clothed in Sun"

Carvings symbolizing the Great Red Dragon are retrieved from crime scenes, casting light on Francis Dolarhyde's warped psyche. Meanwhile, both Dolarhyde and Will seek the wisdom of Hannibal Lecter.

Guesong

Catched up again, life is busy as a Canadian nowadays.

...wait what the fuck happened.

So...what was the whole deal with Bedelia and Zachary Quinto? Did she purposefully kill him? Did she not find any other way to do so than by shoving her arm down his throat? Can you even do that? So the whole 'Hannibal saved me from a patient' schtick is bollocks?

I feel like there was one big life revelation in that whole exchange with Will that totally flew over my head.

Moff

So...what was the whole deal with Bedelia and Zachary Quinto? Did she purposefully kill him? Did she not find any other way to do so than by shoving her arm down his throat? Can you even do that? So the whole 'Hannibal saved me from a patient' schtick is bollocks?

I don't think we are already supposed to know what happened there. at least I had no idea

plus, did Hannibal
try to put on a british accent on the phone?

KarmaCow

I feel like there was one big life revelation in that whole exchange with Will that totally flew over my head.

I don't know if it could really physically happen, I doubt it but I think the idea was that
Hannibal had been training Quinto to swallow his tongue in moments of stress and knew it would happen in his session with Bedelia. It ties back to the conversation with Will about the wounded bird and empathy, she says her first reaction is the urge to crush it and so in a sick sense of curiosity she did what she did. Hannibal knew this and set up a situation where it could manifest itself, much in the same way Hannibal set up Abigail to kill the victim's brother. It's what he does, manipulates situations to see how people will react. The saving part is that he covered it up, just like with Abigail.

(episode spoilers)

We've known what happened to him (or at least, that Bedalia murdered him herself) since towards the end of the second season following heavy foreshadowing in the first season, and we knew in the first season that Hannibal and her covered up the patient's murder as she comments to Hannibal that Crawford came asking about the incident regarding the patient and that she lied in order to protect them both. This season, we've seen precisely what happened in relation to the patient, both in regards to how Bedalia killed him, and how Hannibal assisted her in covering it up.

The patient was an individual who approached Lecter with mild depression, and with Lecter's meddling ended up deeply depressed and unable to sleep. He, simultaneously, was highly suspicious of Lecter, and was told to seek DuMaurier, Lecter already being very close to her and knowing that she, too, in many ways, is like him, and has a deep fascination to him.

During the course of his care, Lecter administered 'photo-therapy'. We already know that Lecter did this to Will, too, to administer seizures, and experience time losses, while we know he did it to Miriam Lass as part of her brainwashing. We know, from the patient's comments, that during the 'photo-therapy', the patient began to choke on his own tongue, and Lecter sat indifferent, presumably to see how it would play out. Ultimately, he came to, and he survived. We can assume that as a result of this experience, he ultimately ended up ending his therapy with Lecter, and was then referred to DuMaurier. The patient also knew that DuMaurier was covering for Lecter, or did not have the patient's best interest at heart, as she wouldn't take action based upon what he said despite DuMaurier saying that she should. What ultimately ends up extremely important is the role the light plays. When he gets angry, and confrontational, and begins calling her out on what he's done, he begins to choke. Presumably, whatever Lecter was doing with the light therapy, was to make him susceptible to beginning the response to choke. Perhaps he had some underlying condition that made him more likely to do so, perhaps Lecter did something during the loss of time to encourage the response to choke and it just so happened that he began choking when in therapy with DuMaurier.

The patient could have survived. Not only is there the possibility that he would have recovered alone without interference as he did without Lecter's previous intervention, and in addition to this Bedalia was, in fact, trying to save him at the beginning. She exclaims this numerous times as he resists, and she put her hand into his mouth initially to try and save him. At the moment when she, presumably, catches his tongue, and has power over his life there's a pause, and it becomes clear that she has accepted her initial urge to crush him, something that previously she had always managed to move beyond, and shoves his tongue into his throat, killing him. Did she do it to protect Lecter? Possibly, but there is also the implication that she did it just because she wanted to. This scene then continues with Lecter's appearance as we've seen in a previous episode (the first, I believe).

So, they key to it is what Lecter did during the light therapy. We already have evidence that he does this to induce blackouts and aid in hypnosis, so presumably he did something (whether surgical, or with influence) to increase the likelihood of this happening, and then when the patient became irate, he triggered the response which DuMaurier used to kill him (and DuMaurier then realising that Lecter purposely put her in the situation, and accepting his help to cover it up).

It's not really that much of a 'grand revelation' really. It adds a great deal of insight into DuMaurier's actions, and clarifies what happened (whether or not the patient being manipulated into choking on his own tongue is to one's liking is another matter entirely), while simultaneously (once again) reinforcing Will's position on murder by providing a contrast with Bedalia (one suspects it provides a contrast with Hannibal too, but there is also the argument to be made that 'helping' the bird, and 'crushing' the bird, could be considered one and the same; in the context of it I believe it''s clear that we are meant to imply that Hannibal's reaction would be to crush the bird, emphasised partly by the Ottoman last season and the context of the discussion).

EDIT: As above, basically.

I hate that the closer this show gets to ending, the higher it rises on my list of favorite tv shows ever.

Beautiful score for this one.

Tubie

So many scenes in this episode were just incredible.

Will staring at Hannibal and their reflections matching each other.

Tara and the Tiger.

Amazing episode.

Let's just take some time to admire the spectacular writing this episode...

"I awoke in the fresh-smelling semidark, knowing in some primal way that I was near the sea. Day and evening again, the smell of fresh flowers and the vague awareness of a needle bleeding into me. He never called me my name. That was strange at first, and then it wasn't strange. And then my name was Lydia Fell. Deeply-felt truths about myself as Bedelia Du Maurier were smoke and mirrors of the highest order. What we take for granted about our sense of self, everything we see, everything we remember, is nothing more than a construct of the mind. Dante was the first to conceive of hell as a planned space. An urban environment. Before Dante, we spoke not of the Gates of Hell, but of the Mouth of Hell. My journey to damnation began when I was swallowed by the beast."

This is unprecedented television. A mere three episodes left to savor :-(

Blader

It's incredible how much more I like Will now compared to how unbearable and ridiculous he was in the first first few episodes.

its weird i was thinking to myself before i watched this morning "was a sort of big deal made about zachary quinto have a small part" since we never really saw him then boom there he is lol

Top Bottom