• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harry Shearer (Mr. Burns, Smithers, Flanders, Skinner) leaving The Simpsons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberTag

I'll believe it when they announce a recast or try to write episodes without him. They rarely recast though, I think only some characters from famous people and Lunchlady Doris (the actress who played her passed away) were recast. And they retired Doris for years before doing that.
Manjula was recast prior to Jan Hooks passing away.
They also briefly used a stand-in for Maude Flanders (and Helen Lovejoy and Miss Hoover) before killing her off during a prior pay dispute with Maggie Roswell.

kirby_fox

Banned
I think they could be a lot more gung ho about recasting since Shearer is leaving of his own accord rather than passing away unexpectedly.

Not really his own accord, he doesn't like the contract and won't budge and neither will Fox.

Maggie Roswell left the show on her own accord, and they killed off Maude and stopped using Miss Lovejoy for a long time. I don't see that happening with the number of characters Shearer does.

They will hit 30 seasons before calling it quits though. And I fully expect a spin-off after that.

They could do open tryouts finding people who could voice the major ones like Burns and Flanders and pay them less money, if it's worth the hassle.

danm999

Feels like it'd take the death/departure of one of the Simpson's voice actors at this point to end it, and even then they might try to hang on.

Shaneus

They will hit 30 seasons before calling it quits though. And I fully expect a spin-off after that.
mLZACuom.jpg
jpliF65m.jpg

They could do open tryouts finding people who could voice the major ones like Burns and Flanders and pay them less money, if it's worth the hassle.

Hell, they could milk it and turn it into another one of those reality talent shows. So You Want To Voice A Recurring Simpsons Character!

Joe

You should listen to his WTF episode, its pretty interesting. He apparently has a big reputation for being a douche to work with and claimed that at The Simpsons he was making an insane amount of money and not enough money all at the same time.

VariantX

Wow, this show is effectively dead and that's with Harry Shearer. Fox needs to let this show die with the remainder of its dignity.

lewisgone

Uh, isn't that a Season 11 reference?

It is possible for the Simpsons to produce some funny scenes past whatever cut-off season you think is right. The show went downhill, but it didn't turn to shit instantly and pointing out a Season 11 reference like whoever typed that did something wrong is just weird,

UberTag

Yikes, is this real? They let a little Family Guy creep in.
It's real. From Season 25's Days of Future Future.
I did leave out the punchline of the joke, though.

Hoover+caption+a+tv+show+k_8148bb_5196865.jpg

I personally consider this to be the 2nd worst episode of all-time.
Homer died, replaced himself with a bunch of clones, Marge committed suicide in front of her kids at Moe's to spend the rest of her life with him when he was nothing but a digital hologram.
Bart had an orgy with Krusty and a bunch of clowns. And Milhouse became briefly undead and Lisa kept him in that state because necrophilia turns her on.

I wish I was making this stuff up. But I'm not.

Yikes, is this real? They let a little Family Guy creep in.

They've been letting the Family Guy creep in ever since Saddlesore Galactica.

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Hoover+caption+a+tv+show+k_8148bb_5196865.jpg[IMG]

I personally consider this to be the 2nd worst episode of all-time.[/QUOTE]

What, dare I ask, is #1?

way more

Dignity? Really? That's long gone.

safe_image.php

A teacher having sex with an adult who attended the same school she once taught? Bart is America's sweetheart and seeing such an image rapes my childhood. When Simpson's has sex or death jokes it's just chasing the success of Family Guy which makes that kind of humor.

Shaneus

You should listen to his WTF episode, its pretty interesting. He apparently has a big reputation for being a douche to work with and claimed that at The Simpsons he was making an insane amount of money and not enough money all at the same time.
Wait, how does that work? On his WTF episode, he says he has a reputation for being a douche?

Is Fox out of touch?

No! It is the viewers who are wrong!

Don't kid yourself. Fox does not like The Simpsons.

That it makes a shitload of money? Yes.
That it keeps them relevant? Yes.

Content wise? No.

This 100% nothing to do with a company being "out of touch".

ElTopo

Banned

Hoover+caption+a+tv+show+k_8148bb_5196865.jpg

I personally consider this to be the 2nd worst episode of all-time.
Homer died, replaced himself with a bunch of clones, Marge committed suicide in front of her kids at Moe's to spend the rest of her life with him when he was nothing but a digital hologram.
Bart had an orgy with Krusty and a bunch of clowns. And Milhouse became briefly undead and Lisa kept him in that state because necrophilia turns her on.

I wish I was making this stuff up. But I'm not.

... WHAT THE FUCK!?

I'm shocked that it's STILL going. I mean, how many original stories (let alone ones about the Simpsons family) can you tell? Jesus fucking christ, just end it. Put a stake in its heart.

... WHAT THE FUCK!?

I'm shocked that it's STILL going. I mean, how many original stories (let alone ones about the Simpsons family) can you tell? Jesus fucking christ, just end it. Put a stake in its heart.

You're problem is assuming that they have to be "original" or "stories."

Future

I thought I remembered negotiations going sour in a previous season. I mean fuck man, they could probably do it without him but should they? Bluffing

The Simpsons guy episode did show there were plenty of characters that could fill out an episode, but Harry's characters are just too core to flat out disappear

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I don't see how the show could continue without him. He does all the best secondary characters.

I think he was always quite honest that the show turned shit years ago I'm not surprised that he is the first one to exit.

Toad.T

Banned
... WHAT THE FUCK!?

I'm shocked that it's STILL going. I mean, how many original stories (let alone ones about the Simpsons family) can you tell?

Ask Doraemon:

th

Running since the 70's, nonstop.

(I'd love to see how bad the episode is when they finally do become the longest running animated TV series of all time is. Maybe it'll finally reach the annexes of "So Bad, It's Good" territory?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom