• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harry Shearer (Mr. Burns, Smithers, Flanders, Skinner) leaving The Simpsons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
a7Yhbkc.png

Jean pls

Ahasverus

Honestly it's Al Jean who is ruinning this show. Whenever a new producer comes aboard it will fix itself. I'm expecting a Star Wars like situation in a few years, where actual fans of the show are the ones running it.

I personally consider this to be the 2nd worst episode of all-time.
Homer died, replaced himself with a bunch of clones, Marge committed suicide in front of her kids at Moe's to spend the rest of her life with him when he was nothing but a digital hologram.
Bart had an orgy with Krusty and a bunch of clowns. And Milhouse became briefly undead and Lisa kept him in that state because necrophilia turns her on.

I wish I was making this stuff up. But I'm not.

Wow. And I thought Bonfire of the Manatees was bad.

They have more than a few good to great episodes each season nowadays. Like I thought Bull-e, this past week's episode, was really good. I don't know why if you say you haven't watched an episode in almost a decade you'd care that the show was still on the air.

Pillville

Not sure if anyone suggested this yet, but:

I bet they could easily create any lines for his characters from previous recording from the other 25 seasons + computer magic.

This is rather weird. I still enjoy The Simpsons and feel the "Oh my god it sucks now" element has been played too much and is hyperbolic, but I feel that now may be the time to end it. Harry Shearer just voices too many integral characters for it to continue without him.

How foreshadowy

But the thing is, it really sucks. New episodes are mostly boring, uninspired and usually go nowhere.

Mistle

Most of Shearer's characters are voices that are pretty easy to do, to be fair.

imitating the voice is one thing, but bringing life to the character and the comedic timing is really the important part i'd imagine. though you could argue harry has been phoning it in lately himself (that clip above of modern burns sounded really lazy). at the same time though he's irreplaceable and contributed enormously to the show.

Neff

The show literally cannot go on without Shearer. He's woven himself into the iconography of the most successful television show in the world to the point where if you remove him, you damage it without the possibility of repair.

I don't normally go along with the kind of 'this should end rather than continue' assessments which typically accompany spurned fan expectations and too-finite levels of forgiveness. But in this case, I can't help but agree.

Not only will The Simpsons be Shearer-less, but it traded in its big heart, satirical bite, and sincere, effortlessly skilled storytelling years ago for gratuitous references, slapstick and shock value. It did the unthinkable and became Family Guy. And now they want to either write out or replace half the voices of the show.

Contract Shearer for one last double parter or movie, just to give what was once a piece of fucking untouchable art a decent sendoff, and call it a day. If they plan on going ahead as per their official statements, it's going to be very awkward, ugly and depressing to watch.

RedShift

Isn't publicly quitting just standard salary negotiations for Simpsons/Futurama voice actors nowadays?

I'm sure in a few days he'll back.

In Spain the voice actors of Homer (who was also the series voice director), Burns, Smithers, Otto and other minors characters all died nearly in the same season (the one after behind the laughs episode).
Even if the series was just going to the shitters in terms of quality writting, those voice changes made it even worse, if thats possible.

If shearer goes, america is going now to experience a similar thing, and I wouldnt reccomend that not even to my worst enemy.

Fox would do better just to cancel it before its to late. Do a final episode with the original writers and call it a day.

MrBadger

This is still worst episode ever. I don't use it sparingly, it really is a steaming pile of shit.

I don't think I've seen it. Anybody mind sparing me the 20 minutes of watch time to tell me why it's considered the worst? Because not a lot can top that Miss Hover thing.

Joni

I don't think I've seen it. Anybody mind sparing me the 20 minutes of watch time to tell me why it's considered the worst? Because not a lot can top that Miss Hover thing.

The Miss Hoover thing is a quick joke, and certainly not the first time that has implied Bart getting it on with one of his teachers. The rags episode is an entire episode about a rag.

Dryk

It is "the most wonderful vehicle for satire ever", but unfortunately, the wheels fell off 15 years ago.
When you're that big a part of the cultural landscape satire often turns into self-parody. You can navigate around that problem if you're good enough. IF.

MrBadger

When you're that big a part of the cultural landscape satire often turns into self-parody. You can navigate around that problem if you're good enough. IF.

The problem is The Simpsons have been making fun of the fact they ran out of ideas since season 4.

Vieo

Wouldn't it be funny if the show never ends?

Like, for the "last" episode, the Simpsons move out of Springfield, but a new family (all new voice actors), with the same exact last name, moves into their old Springfield home and the show continues on, but with the new Simpsons family.

It's real. From Season 25's Days of Future Future.
I did leave out the punchline of the joke, though.

Hoover+caption+a+tv+show+k_8148bb_5196865.jpg

Homer died, replaced himself with a bunch of clones, Marge committed suicide in front of her kids at Moe's to spend the rest of her life with him when he was nothing but a digital hologram.
Bart had an orgy with Krusty and a bunch of clowns. And Milhouse became briefly undead and Lisa kept him in that state because necrophilia turns her on.

that image is funny and that episode sounds hilarious.

E the Shaggy

Wouldn't it be funny if the show never ends?

Like, for the "last" episode, the Simpsons move out of Springfield, but a new family (all new voice actors), with the same exact last name, moves into their old Springfield home and the show continues on, but with the new Simpsons family.

They were never the Simpsons at all! They were the Tamzarians!

systematic

Unconfirmed Member
Can't really blame him for wanting to leave, it's outrageous that to this day FOX refuses to let any of the voice actors share in the profits the show is generating in syndication. From the last time (2011) he had contract issues:

In fact, to make it as easy as possible for Fox to keep new episodes of “The Simpsons” coming, I’m willing to let them cut my salary not just 45% but more than 70% – down to half of what they said they would be willing to pay us. All I would ask in return is that I be allowed a small share of the eventual profits.

My representatives broached this idea to Fox yesterday, asking the network how low a salary number I would have to accept to make a profit participation feasible. My representatives were told there was no such number. There were, the Fox people said, simply no circumstances under which the network would consider allowing me or any of the actors to share in the show’s success.
'Simpsons' Co-Star Speaks Out On Contract Negotiation Stalemate

Lothars

I still don't get the hate that these later seasons get, They are certainly different from the earlier seasons but they have some fantastic episodes and some bad ones. The show is still really good and easily one of the best animated shows on tv.

Glowsquid

what the fuck

to think the previous "future" episode was actually decent

It's real. From Season 25's Days of Future Future.
I did leave out the punchline of the joke, though.

Hoover+caption+a+tv+show+k_8148bb_5196865.jpg

How does it make you feel that that is probably the cannon future timeline for the Simpsons since it has been referenced and used in a few episodes?

This thread made me sad and depressed untiI I saw this on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LbExEydMKg

I could watch this for hours.

howtoplayscout.gif

Joni

How does it make you feel that that is probably the cannon future timeline for the Simpsons since it has been referenced and used in a few episodes?
Edna is alive in this future, Homer and Bart try to seduce her and Miss Hoover in the prequel to that episode. So that future has been written out of existence.

Somnid

Looks like Simpsons is coming to a close, I doubt they'll be able to push much beyond these 2 seasons. I think they could probably make some new characters (something they've needed for a while since they keep recycling the go-tos) but the probability of doing this successfully is very low. Still, it'd at least make it interesting.

NimbusD

As far as I'm concerned, the simpsons is cancelled.

Now they can't even attempt a proper send off. How can you do that with characters voiced by imitators?

Eventually they will have the big Simpsons finale episode. How the hell can you have that without one of the people most responsible for the shows longevity be there? ffs

FOX will cave. Their only options are to pay the man or replace him, making an inferior version of an already bad tv show.

Since FOX won't outright cancel it, here's hoping Harry gets his big, fat paycheck.

stuminus3

Just watched that Days of Future Future episode out of sheer curiosity.

Yeah... you're doing the right thing Harry.

It's official, apparently.

Harry Shearer, the voice of iconic "Simpsons" characters like Mr. Burns, is walking away from a $14 million offer and is saying farewell to the show.
"As the Simpsons continues its 27th and 28th seasons, Harry Shearer will not be within the show," showrunner Al Jean said in an email message to CNNMoney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom