• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harry Shearer (Mr. Burns, Smithers, Flanders, Skinner) leaving The Simpsons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

way more

Ask Doraemon:

th

Running since the 70's, nonstop.

(I'd love to see how bad the episode is when they finally do become the longest running animated TV series of all time is. Maybe it'll finally reach the annexes of "So Bad, It's Good" territory?)

Isn't that a show about a cartoon cat? Like Garfield? Why not ask how Marmaduke has stayed so fresh all these centuries.

Mistle

Maron keeps bringing up the stories he's heard about it and at the end pretty much calls him an asshole.

oh yeah, that's a somewhat recent interview isn't it? i didn't know much about harry shearer prior to listening and it was quite revealing

Richie

A teacher having sex with an adult who attended the same school she once taught? Bart is America's sweetheart and seeing such an image rapes my childhood. When Simpson's has sex or death jokes it's just chasing the success of Family Guy which makes that kind of humor.

Classic seasons had sex and death jokes left and right, difference is, they had wit to them, there was always something beyond the surface.

Ooh, and kudos to the poster who brought up the second Future episode of the HD era as one of the worst episodes ever. Because it is. God, the first one was one of the best modern episodes in ages, and they had to go and create that clusterfuck of a sequel. You can tell the writers were dragged kicked and screaming into finishing the script.

Joni

That is impossible. They can't lose him. I mean, we were all expecting the show to go on till he dies. But probably Dan and Hank are talented enough to mimic at least most of the voices.

way more

Classic seasons had sex and death jokes left and right, difference is, they had wit to them, there was always something beyond the surface.

Oh, the old jokes are good and funny. The new jokes are bad and not good. I thought people were just upset by the crass and vulgar notion of the modern jokes. A sitcom with burping and farts was gross when Simpsons emerged they made fun of those moral censors. And now the easiest, cheapest, dumbest, criticism about Simpsons is to act shocked about how immoral it is. My childhood is raped type nerds were the target of early Simpsons jokes.

Carl

Amazing how that turned out
It's real. From Season 25's Days of Future Future.
I did leave out the punchline of the joke, though.

I personally consider this to be the 2nd worst episode of all-time.
Homer died, repIMGd himself with a bunch of clones, Marge committed suicide in front of her kids at Moe's to spend the rest of her life with him when he was nothing but a digital hologram.
Bart had an orgy with Krusty and a bunch of clowns. And Milhouse became briefly undead and Lisa kept him in that state because necrophilia turns her on.

I wish I was making this stuff up. But I'm not.
The fuck is this

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Maron keeps bringing up the stories he's heard about it and at the end pretty much calls him an asshole.

He was also quite pissed off when KCRW in LA took down his radio show without much warning.

But I also kinda get where he is coming from in that WTF interview.

Shearer does do a bunch of projects and shows, and I think his Nixon project and his radio show are his endeavors and The Simpson's was just a paycheck. Especially how he wants to control more of it than he would like.

Homer died, replaced himself with a bunch of clones, Marge committed suicide in front of her kids at Moe's to spend the rest of her life with him when he was nothing but a digital hologram.
Bart had an orgy with Krusty and a bunch of clowns. And Milhouse became briefly undead and Lisa kept him in that state because necrophilia turns her on.

Haven't seen an episode in years. Now I am glad.

Mr Swine

Banned
I wonder if Fox will go the cheap and easy way and replace every character with VA that don't sound like them. Have a episode where they claim that Mr Burns has poured something in their tap water which makes them sound not like themselves and go on from that

glaurung

Oh greed, when will you come home?

Would not be surprised if they hire a random sound-alike and be done with it.

It also reminds me of the time when the German voice actor for Marge died and they replaced her with some celebrity comedian. Marge then sounded like someone fucking your eardrum with a rusty chainsaw.

I stopped watching the show since the late 1990's. How bad has the show gotten since then? I remember Harry Shearer ripping on the show's quality on a press junket promoting the release of season 3 on DVD.

Madness

Just ruining whatever appeal the show had left. End it and let the reruns of the first ten seasons remain nostalgic for the rest of us.

My little cousins today don't even know who Bart Simpson is, nor do they watch. So why is it still on the air.

KAP151

Hoover+caption+a+tv+show+k_8148bb_5196865.jpg

Homer died, replaced himself with a bunch of clones, Marge committed suicide in front of her kids at Moe's to spend the rest of her life with him when he was nothing but a digital hologram.

Yeah. Its shit like this which has prevented me watching Simpsons for years.

Once a guy like Harry leaves, its time to hang up the boots. The boots that should of been thrown out a long time ago.

UberTag

I stopped watching the show since the late 1990's. How bad has the show gotten since then? I remember Harry Shearer ripping on the show's quality on a press junket promoting the release of season 3 on DVD.
There is a small handful of half-decent episodes every season.
The rest range from outright atrocious to forgettably mediocre retreads.

AniHawk

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Hoover+caption+a+tv+show+k_8148bb_5196865.jpg[/]

I wish I was making this stuff up. But I'm not.[/QUOTE]

really glad i missed this one also missed the preceding future episode, which was much more well-regarded and intended to be the series finale.

Vanguard

Something like this was bound to happen eventually, surprised it didn't happen sooner. I've recently been doing a simpsons marathon while I'm working but I've been watching it in reverse order, I've been enjoying it more as it goes on heh.

But if they need to write in the departure of the characters, Burns and Smithers are already covered!

PRM7zWF.png

RangerX

Banned
Jesus christ just finish it. Its tragic enough whats happened to the show but one of the main cast members leaving should really be the end of it. Harry shearer voices so many characters too. He is great but probably should have done this 15 years ago.

Ahasverus

You think thw show will end because of a voice actor? Fox may had care before, they don't anymore, and with the ease of finding an imitator not even Castellaneta's death can stop this train. If you ask why the show is alive the answer is international markets, the new episodes are being watched by millions.

Who needs to let go, Fox or a bunch or people in their 30's who are still whining about the quality in a cartoon they swear hasn't been worth watching in 15 years?

The solution is easy. With 26 seasons of recorded voice dialogue, they could easily just re-use old fragments. This worked just fine in South Park after Chef's voice character left. They used old sound bites in a natural way and you couldn't tell the difference

Joni

The solution is easy. With 26 seasons of recorded voice dialogue, they could easily just re-use old fragments. This worked just fine in South Park after Chef's voice character left. They used old sound bites in a natural way and you couldn't tell the difference

moderneditingtechniques_thumb.png

Aske

This is rather weird. I still enjoy The Simpsons and feel the "Oh my god it sucks now" element has been played too much and is hyperbolic, but I feel that now may be the time to end it. Harry Shearer just voices too many integral characters for it to continue without him.

I agree with the bolded. As far as I'm concerned, it was unwatchable for several seasons, but in recent years it found its feet again. New episodes wil never be classic Simpsons, but I feel it's now being written by people who understand why that era was so magical, even if they can't hope to recreate it.

Voice-matching is something that often occurs in animation, and unlike Castellanetta's Homer, Shearer's characters ought to be a little easier for other actors to ape successfully. The show won't be the same without him, but I wonder how close Fox can get it.

I kind of hope the show goes on forever, just to see what happens. It's not like it's anything sacred at this point.

Shearer is awesome. He always does cool stuff in NOLA. When I lived there he'd randomly show up at things.

He doesn't seem to have a big ego at all.

I mean, the older fans (I;m 35) are always going on about the poor quality of 'new episodes' and have been since ~ season 14 as if it makes the golden years worse as a result.
I stopped watching, I don't care at all what they do now. It's stupid how angry some people get that this show still exists.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Modern Simpsons is like comfort food for me. It's not the amazeballs show it once was, but I'd rather it exist. A Simpsonless world, wouldn't be as fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom