• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harry Shearer (Mr. Burns, Smithers, Flanders, Skinner) leaving The Simpsons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

My only disappointment about this news is that when the show inevitably ends, Shearer's voice won't be in the series finale.

I'll just keep imagining the movie was the show's last note.

MisterHero

Oh no! Not Lenny!

bnd07thcmaaax8-9tjbu.jpg

Richie

Okay, then how about Sazae-san

sazae-san-anime.jpg

Longest running animated television series of all-time (since October 5, 1969, currently 7181 episodes), comedy, and it focuses around a family. Obviously not as brash as shows like the Simpson, but still.

This doesn't help the point, though. I actually saw this addressed over the comments section of Dead Homer Society:

"Regarding Sazae-san, I would imagine that is a better viewing experience than the Simpsons because for that show they are just animating the nationally beloved comic strip from beginning to end and then restarting from the beginning with more modern animation/art styles, which I think cycles every decade or two.

It’s like a US network animating the entire Peanuts from the first comic strip to the last one and then keeping the show on the air by restarting from the beginning with a more modern look.

It’s one of those shows that does not encourage watching all of its episodes since it never reruns and was never released on home video. Just keep reframing the same sitcom comedy to newer generations."

jelly

How rich are the voice actors in the simpsons?

They should do one more film to end it instead of two seasons.

Shaneus

"We do not plan to 'kill off' his characters," Jean added, "but replace them with the most talented members of the voice over community."
Billy West better get a fucking look in. He should be working more than he does :(

Maybe they could get the voiceover artists from foreign-language dubs to do them? At least that way they'd be funny (despite the material).

tmarques

I'm in awe of the guy, to be honest. Am I the only one who never suspected those characters were all voiced by the same actor? It's very obvious when the Homer actor does other characters (especially Grandpa and the mayor), and Bob's Burgers sounds like it's done by three actors, but Smithers and Burns? Wow. Especially tricky since they often share scenes.

Prez

I'm in awe of the guy, to be honest. Am I the only one who never suspected those characters were all voiced by the same actor? It's very obvious when the Homer actor does other characters (especially Grandpa and the mayor), and Bob's Burgers sounds like it's done by three actors, but Smithers and Burns? Wow. Especially tricky since they often share scenes.

He also voiced Otto who also sounds completely different.

PSqueak

Banned

What is surprising about BB is how for a family of characters with 3 females, only Louise is voiced by an actual woman.

Said woman, coincidentally, sounds exactly the same for every single character she voices.

Took me out of many scenes in Bojack Horseman, cause it was just hearing Mabel talking about sex and drugs.

PSqueak

Banned
well that is part of the joke in bojack horseman to be honest.

Well, it is true that the whole character represents a child star/character gone bad, but, i mean, doesn't mean Schaal is doing a good job.

I see a butt faced unicorn dog in Adventure Time, but all i hear is Mabel.

Shrek has a yandere gingerbread girl, but all i hear is Mabel.

It's always Mabel O:

UberTag

Some voice actors have vocal range. Some don't.
Typically, if they're well-cast and directed, it really shouldn't matter that they're using the same voice.
Louise and Mabel may sound alike but they're written differently and they have unique personalities so I'm cool with it.

Ask Doraemon:

th

Running since the 70's, nonstop.

(I'd love to see how bad the episode is when they finally do become the longest running animated TV series of all time is. Maybe it'll finally reach the annexes of "So Bad, It's Good" territory?)

Different beasts.
Doraemon are 10 minute segmenta in 20 minutes episodes, there has been 3 different series. 90% of episodes have the same arc:
Nobita has a problem, asks doraemon for a device that will help him, doraemon reluctantly lends him/nobita steals it, goes off to show how amazing it is to Shizuka/uses it for nefarious reasons, Suneo and Giant see him and bully Nobita to get the device/Nobita gets cocky and fucks everything up, doraemon saves him/tells him he will never learn. Rinse and repeat.
The three different series are:
-The old one that nobody liked, was really short, never left japan and was mostly lost to time.
-The middle one. The most famous and longest run, the one that made doraemon super famous worldwide (but not usa). Its repetitive as hell (just see what I wrote before about the typical episode arc), and has a few important episodes (the ones from Nobita's future, more story heavy). Its so long that repeats itselft (some of the devices and exactly same stories) and is drawn a little different in the "final" seasons (nobita and pals get new clothes). Most of the stories are direct copies from the manga.
-The third series, the modern one, also aired worldwide mixed with the second series episodes. And the one that was finally released in the USA. IMO the art is much better, has more artistic backgrounds that emulate watercolors, the kids are drawn more cartoony trying to emulate more the original manga art (Giant with one of the eyes always closed, etc...), and is better animated. Its a reboot with some new voice actors, and have many story repeats with the second series, using same devices, etc... But in the new one the characters have a little more depth and some episodes have a twist or two from the typical doraemon story arc. I also found out it has more story heavy episodes.

So at the end of the day, doraemon has a formula that can repeat forever and reboot whenever it wants, the worse episode is just a mediocre repeat of a show made primarly for children, while the simpsons need to stop someday, and the worse episodes are insulting the intelligence of their fans with ridiculuos unfunny stories that scream, please cancel me.

Welp no cow is sacred then, time to bring Troy Mclure and Krabappel back. i really miss Troy

I haven't watched the show on network tv in almost 20 years, but what did they do with Krabappel? Did they recast her? Is Bart in a new class with a new teacher?

I wish someone would do a "This is all the awful stuff to happen on the Simpsons since 1998" or something.

Ahasverus

I haven't watched the show on network tv in almost 20 years, but what did they do with Krabappel? Did they recast her? Is Bart in a new class with a new teacher?

I wish someone would do a "This is all the awful stuff to happen on the Simpsons since 1998" or something.
Nothing. One day she just stoped appearing and handwaved it at the end of the episode. It was actually in good taste, surprisingly.

If Dan Castellaneta leaves or dies, it'll be over. I don't imagine he's replaceable at all, you don't just jump into the roles he has been playing for 30 years.
I actually think he's the easiest to replace. There are TONS of talented imitators of him.

UberTag

Edna was not recast. Bart simply gets a new teacher of the week voiced by a guest star. Just like his many random girlfriend episodes.

Lisa still has the constancy of Miss Hoover to ensure she is never intellectually challenged.

I actually think he's the easiest to replace. There are TONS of talented imitators of him.
It's one thing to deliver a competent imitation of an iconic character like Homer.
It's another thing altogether to be able to act competently while in that role.

You need to marry acting talent along with being able to emulate the delivery... and that's a lot more difficult to pull off.

EulaCapra

Can't say I'm not sad. It has been 20+ goddamn years.

This might be good anyway. It could inject younger enthusiasm. A lot of Shearer's characters aren't mentally there anymore. They're all just going through the motions (of millions of dollars).

Dishwalla

Banned
They're not gonna bring Troy McClure back, the whole reason he worked as a character was because of Phil Hartman. Lionel Hutz would be easier to bring back than Troy.

UberTag

They're not gonna bring Troy McClure back, the whole reason he worked as a character was because of Phil Hartman. Lionel Hutz would be easier to bring back than Troy.
They're not bringing Troy or Lionel back. They've even been retired from things like the comics where voice acting wouldn't be an issue.
And we all know Billy West could probably do both of those characters in his sleep.

Hazmat

Edna was not recast. Bart simply gets a new teacher of the week voiced by a guest star. Just like his many random girlfriend episodes.

Lisa still has the constancy of Miss Hoover to ensure she is never intellectually challenged.

If the use of the word "constancy" was a Rev. Lovejoy joke, you earned a chuckle out of me. If it wasn't, then this is further proof that The Simpsons has rewired my brain.

UberTag

If the use of the word "constancy" was a Rev. Lovejoy joke, you earned a chuckle out of me. If it wasn't, then this is further proof that The Simpsons has rewired my brain.
Constancy. Sweet constancy.

I credit most of my everyday vocabulary to 28 years of watching The Simpsons.
I suffer from panic attacks whenever I lose my perspicacity.

border

It's kinda gross to know that only the death of one or more voice actors is going to end The Simpsons. And that's only assuming that they continue to respect the dead by not recasting their characters.

It's kinda crazy to think that a few unknown working class comedy actors from the 80's are now worth 60 million dollars mostly because they were a part of a mediocre sketch comedy series that only lasted a few years with bottom-basement Nielsen ratings.

Harry has been an outspoken critic of the newer Simpsons episodes, so I don't find this too surprising. They probably won't cancel it until Dan Castellaneta or Hank Azaria die, which is depressing.

On The Principal and the Pauper:

That's so wrong. You're taking something that an audience has built eight years or nine years of investment in and just tossed it in the trash can for no good reason, for a story we've done before with other characters. It's so arbitrary and gratuitous, and it's disrespectful to the audience.

On the show's declining quality:

I rate the last three seasons [14, 15, 16] as among the worst, so Season Four looks very good to me now.

If Shearer walks, this has potentially far-reaching implications for the show. The VA's were able to command such high salaries in the first place because they successfully argued that they were irreplaceable, and FOX acquiesced to them.

If one of the main six walks, FOX gets a huge amount of leverage, and the remaining five VA's lose a lot of their existing clout. Recasting won't be an idle threat any, so FOX beancounters will be able to insist on heavy pay cuts and other concessions. Things could get really ugly the next time negotations roll around.

liquidtmd

Banned
If one of the main six walks, FOX gets a huge amount of leverage, and the remaining five VA's lose a lot of their existing clout. Recasting won't be an idle threat any, so FOX beancounters will be able to insist on heavy pay cuts and other concessions. Things could get really ugly the next time negotations roll around.

Maybe. Shearer walking buries the show for me but I think if Castellaneta left that would bury it even for the people who don't remotely take an interest. Plus it sounds like the rest signed to continue at the moment without it being confirmed that Shearer had gone.

I think the next time negotiations come round the others will just say 'fuck it, we're done' anyway. Purely IMO based on a few things. If Shearers worth $65million then the rest will be there abouts - with moderate sensible investing, you couldn't spend that so if Fox tries to lowball them, I don't think they're going to take any shit.

Durden77

Oh man. I haven't been keeping up with the show recently, but this is still really sad news. Just the idea of the show ending without him is depressing. Mr. Burns, Flanders, and others he plays are by far some of my favorite characters in the show. Man, this sucks....

terrisus

Damnit, Harry. Show some conviction.

I'm honestly disappointed.

Where does it say that he didn't?

Back in May, Shearer, who had battled with the studio/network previously over compensation, indicated that his departure was not tied to a money issue, but rather the flexibility in his schedule. The actor—who hosts the radio program Le Show and stars in the web series Nixon’s The One—tweeted, “I wanted what we’ve always had: the freedom to do other work.” Simpsons executive producer Al Jean told EW the following day that he found that tweet confusing, saying, “Everybody on the show does lots of outside projects. He actually gets to record on the phone and do the
reads on the phone. So we’ve never kept him from doing that stuff.”

Unless you have something else you're going off of?
Or just want him to quit for the sake of quitting/"The Simpsons has gone on too long."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom