• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harry Shearer (Mr. Burns, Smithers, Flanders, Skinner) leaving The Simpsons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

E the Shaggy

Out of curiosity, how long does it take for each of the main cast to record an episode? A few days? Seems crazy to think they're making $250k for like two days work.

The Simpsons isn't satire anymore, and it's generally sad the people behind it thinks it is.

It does provide me with The Simpsums though... so there's that.

"There is a joke about computer Homer staying frozen on the screen so he can watch his grown son fuck a woman. A great joke A GREAT JOKE."

How do you even recast that many characters? That list are characters that appear in every episode, you can't just write them out and no way will they find sound alikes that can do every single one of them.

bengraven

First episode of next season.

Homer: "I can't believe Mr. Burns fired me and then left for Australia with Smithers to live out their lives as sheep herders. And Flanders went to Kansas to join the Westboro church. And Skinner quit the school and is on Broadway now. Place is strange without them."

Would you do this?

2bb.gif

You don't wanna know how far I'll go.

s04e15_141.jpg

Fun fact: Mr. Burns was originally voiced by Christopher Collins in the Season 1 episode "Homer's Odyssey" as well as the America's Most Armed and Dangerous Presenter in "Some Enchanted Evening."

He originally recorded the dialogue for Moe in the same episode, but his lines were redubbed before broadcast by Hank Azaria.

Ned said enough is enough. Ned kills himself because Edna's death is too much for him to handle. Homer starts a business selling caskets.

Season 28.

Just you wait and see.

UberTag

Out of curiosity, how long does it take for each of the main cast to record an episode? A few days? Seems crazy to think they're making $250k for like two days work.
Depends on the episode.

For example, I think Lisa had two whole lines in last week's episode. Yeardley knocked that out in 5 minutes or less.
Probably hung around to do a few episodes that day before heading off to her "real job" of running the Marchez Vous shoe empire.

PSqueak

Banned
Easy. They'll just do more crossovers to kill the time, because everyone loves crossovers right? :)

Either that or kill off his characters in a Nuclear Plant explosion.

This would make the most sense, but man, would it be depressing as fuck.

Toothless

I don't even watch Simpsons and this is weird. So what, now Simpsons can live onto season 2318 because all the actors are replaceable?

I don't even watch Simpsons and this is weird. So what, now Simpsons can live onto season 2318 because all the actors are replaceable?

If Dan Castellaneta leaves or dies, it'll be over. I don't imagine he's replaceable at all, you don't just jump into the roles he has been playing for 30 years.

Salmonax

I wish I were surprised that they're keeping the show going without him. What an awful, awful fate for what was once such an amazing show.

UberTag

If Dan Castellaneta leaves or dies, it'll be over. I don't imagine he's replaceable at all, you don't just jump into the roles he has been playing for 30 years.
If Julie leaves, they'll just have her divorce Homer for the umpteenth time and make him a single Dad while writing off all her characters.

If Dan or Nancy leave, they'll just launch a spinoff set in the future starring Lisa, Milhouse and her family and have Hank Azaria and Tress MacNeille voice half the cast while the others can come back for highly publicized guest spots. Milk another 11 seasons out of that vehicle like NBC did with Frasier when Cheers ended.

AniHawk

the only workable situation, i think, would be to age everyone by a decade. it would create a believable world where none of his characters would be around and maybe inject some life into the stories.

ElTopo

Banned
the only workable situation, i think, would be to age everyone by a decade. it would create a believable world where none of his characters would be around and maybe inject some life into the stories.

That would take some effort and they're way past actually doing that.

UberTag

Hey Simpsons GAF. Haven't watched it since season 20. What are the top 5 episodes to seek out?
5 episodes to seek out from Seasons 21-26... this is about as safe a list as you'll find.
I have some episodes I like more than these... but this is a list that's easy to recommend.

The Book Job (NABF22 / S23E6)
Brick Like Me (RABF21 / S25E20)
Holidays of Future Passed (NABF18 / S23E9)
The Man Who Came to Be Dinner (RABF15 / S26E10)
Steal This Episode (SABF05 / S25E9)

E the Shaggy

If Julie leaves, they'll just have her divorce Homer for the umpteenth time and make him a single Dad while writing off all her characters.

They don't need Julie to leave to do that:

In the season 27 premiere of the animated Fox comedy, “Every Man’s Dream,” Marge files for divorce from Homer, and he starts a romance with a young, funny pharmacist named Candace, voiced by Dunham.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/13/simpsons-lena-dunham-girls-allison-williams

Fladam

James L Brooks just tweeted "Hey, we tried. We're still trying. Harry, no kidding, let's talk."

edit: just = two hours ago

Downhome

http://i.imgur.com/jpliF65m.jpg[/img]

Man, I have rarely laughed at something so consistently as I do at that freakin' segment!

This is horrible news but I refuse to believe he will leave the show and they move on without him. He will be signing that contract again eventually. There is zero chance of him seriously calling it quits as long as the show continues.

I wouldn't be a bit shocked if all of this was on purpose and they are saying it all to keep the show in the headlines.

UberTag

They don't need Julie to leave to do that.
Well, I was factoring that divorce into my logic. Hence the "umpteenth".

James L Brooks just tweeted "Hey, we tried. We're still trying. Harry, no kidding, let's talk."
Gotta love public posturing.

This is horrible news but I refuse to believe he will leave the show and they move on without him. He will be signing that contract again eventually.
"Oh... well... we highly value your input... until you sign the deal!" - Mr. Burns in She of Little Faith

Salmonax

I can't wait until Dan Castellaneta, another Simpson voice actor, or Hank Azaria decide enough is enough.

At this point, why would they? The time to leave for artistic reasons was over a decade ago. They might as well hang on and keep raking in the cash for a few hours of work a week.

Somebody on 4chan created an idea for a plot that would get rid of flanders.
I thought it was fucking hilarious.

Homer is browsing Facebook on his iPad and finds a contest for Miley Cyrus tickets, the catch is you need to send in a video of you twerking and the video with the most likes gets the prize, Homer wears a sexy skimpy outfit and encourages Grandpa to do the same, what follows is a 4 minute segment of closeups of Homer and Abe's asses and bulges as they twerk to Turn Down For What, and they win eight tickets to the concert.

Instead of taking Grandpa, they invite Flanders and his sons because Homer wants to 'show Flanders who the best twerker is', so Grandpa is left in the basement with no food or bed.

They finally arrive at the Cyrus concert and we get a guest apperance by Miley herself who encourages Homer to come up to the stage with her and he does. In shades of an earlier episode, Homer has a T-shirt gun which he accidentally fires at Rod and Todd, killing them both.

Flanders is distraught, they attend the funeral and Homer falls asleep, Flanders snaps and the two have a huge violent fight, reminiscent of the Peter Griffin and Giant Chicken fights from Family Guy, then even cross paths with them, which stops for a moment before returning to the fight.

The end of the fight involved Flanders trying to overfeed Homer doughnuts, but we know Homer can eat so many! so it has no effect, instead, Flanders cackles in madness and stuffs himself full of doughnuts until his stomach swells up and he collapses.

Ned Flanders has died, Homer sleeps through his funeral and everyone laughs, even the Flanders family members do, who think "he was a Christian sheep and deserved it". Later on it turns out Ol' Gil and Rich Texan have bought the Flanders house! They're gay lovers by the way! Homer is quoted at saying "WOOHOO! GAY NEIGHBORS! MMMM... PROGRESSIVE *drools*" I'm sure there will be plenty of fresh new situations with the Simpsons family and their new neighbors!

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Isn't that a show about a cartoon cat? Like Garfield? Why not ask how Marmaduke has stayed so fresh all these centuries.

Okay, then how about Sazae-san

sazae-san-anime.jpg

Longest running animated television series of all-time (since October 5, 1969, currently 7181 episodes), comedy, and it focuses around a family. Obviously not as brash as shows like the Simpson, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom