• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HATSUNE MIKU Project DIVA Future Tone |OT| A gift to the millions of miku fans

Mandelbo

Decided against the season pass in the end. Even though it'll cost me more in the long run, I don't mind spreading the cost out if the dlc packs aren't launching all that closely to each other. I'd rather not pay upfront for something I'll be getting in february, since that's a busy month as it is!

I got the season pass and stupidly pressed the wrong button so I exited the download list before downloading stuff. I went back to the store page for the pass and the first pack and they say install complete. It's not in my notifications and the dlc is not there when I boot up the game. Can't find the avatars again either.

Am I overlooking something here? :/

Hm, your game is updated to 1.03, right? If it is, try looking for the DLC in the game's hub on the home screen. Something similar happened to me when I was downloading the full game, and I think that's where I was able to actually initiate the download.

Having a pretty similar problem with the avatars. I apparently didn't get them downloading with the season pass purchase and now the only place they appear is the download list on the webstore. Trying to initiate an install from there just tells me "download error". So I seem to be completely locked out from using the avatars.

Installing the DLC pack itself works fine from the game page on the PS4 itself. I'd be pretty mad if I were locked out of that too.

Now I could actually sign into the webstore (was having trouble earlier) I could start the download from there and it's working fine now. Super weird I couldn't do it from the PS4 itself though, even from the game's home screen it was telling me it had already installed.

Also getting the download error for avatars however.

Mandelbo

Seems like the changes to hold notes are more pronounced than I expected they'd be. I'm getting 13200 + 6600 points for a full quadruple hold, whereas before I'm fairly sure it was 12000 + 6000. Haven't checked to see what their behaviour is when the game is paused yet.

Kumubou

Seems like the changes to hold notes are more pronounced than I expected they'd be. I'm getting 13200 + 6600 points for a full quadruple hold, whereas before I'm fairly sure it was 12000 + 6000. Haven't checked to see what their behaviour is when the game is paused yet.
Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing and I thought I broke something when I first saw it.

I was wondering if there was some goofy edge case behavior from holds during pauses (since the arcade game wasn't designed with that in mind) and their solution was to just always give everyone the difference? Weird. I guess their solution on the leaderboards is to just give everyone a 10% bonus on their hold scores. (But then how would they know if people were pausing during old scores? Unless their analytics are picking that up too.)

muteki

This may explain why I had a few high scores last night with worse runs than before.

muteki

I couldn't download the avatars even before leaving the season pass purchase page, something was definitely screwed up. Hopefully they can sort it out soon, I want that Teto avatar.

Mandelbo

If anyone's interested, I've made a MikuGAF PSN community so people can post their high scores and stupid pictures in there. I thought it'd be nice to have a central place for the people on here that play the Diva games, especially given that there're two active ones on PS4 right now!

I've got it associated with Project Diva X, but you should be able to find it by searching MikuGAF in the communities tab. It's invite only at the moment, so please do send a request to join if you want! :D

Hello all,

Looking to buy one pack for now and first time doing this through the JPN PSN store. I'm fairly new to the Miku series as I was introduced to it with the vita and that extended to the 3DS. This essentially would be my third time exposed to this series. My question for you all is which one should I get first, future or colorful? Are they just two different themed packs? TY!

Mandelbo

Hello all,

Looking to buy one pack for now and first time doing this through the JPN PSN store. I'm fairly new to the Miku series as I was introduced to it with the vita and that extended to the 3DS. This essentially would be my third time exposed to this series. My question for you all is which one should I get first, future or colorful? Are they just two different themed packs? TY!

Yep - Future Sound is comprised of mostly of songs from the PSP and Vita games, while Colorful Tone is comprised of songs from the 3DS Project Mirai games and Diva Arcade. Future Sound has more songs, but I'd just go with whichever pack has the most songs you like or interests you more. For instance Colorful Tone has lots of songs I hadn't heard before as well as my favourites from Mirai DX, so I went with that one.

gibbsy24

I bought the season pass and it says the DLC is installed but I don't see any of it in game? Is there a way to uninstall the DLC with deleting the whole game?

Edit: Read above like I should have in the first place. Got it to install though the webstore too. Avatars still borked.

system11

Question for people who know more about the songs in the series - are there any Meiko ones which we might see as DLC? She's under-used. You can set her as the lead in Tricolore Airline at least, any others?

SHarris78

Can someone answer if this is a result of lag or just my crappy timing.

I'm not very good at rhythm games and tend to aim for doing as best as I can on normal difficulty. I've started playing some song in hard and have come across an issue. A good example AgeAgeAgain - in the chorus there's a hold note followed by around 9 normal notes, every time I get to this bit I'll get mostly safes or sads, it's as if as soon as notes are bunched together the games timing (lag?) goes haywire.

Does anyone else get this? Does this happen because I need to recalibrate the lag to a finer degree? Have I just got crap timing!?

Mandelbo

Can someone answer if this is a result of lag or just my crappy timing.

I'm not very good at rhythm games and tend to aim for doing as best as I can on normal difficulty. I've started playing some song in hard and have come across an issue. A good example AgeAgeAgain - in the chorus there's a hold note followed by around 9 normal notes, every time I get to this bit I'll get mostly safes or sads, it's as if as soon as notes are bunched together the games timing (lag?) goes haywire.

Does anyone else get this? Does this happen because I need to recalibrate the lag to a finer degree? Have I just got crap timing!?

Afraid to say it might just be your timing - for that bit, I press the hold note with one hand and do the string of notes with the other, although if keeping tht rhythm is too taxing with one thumb at the moment, you can always not hold the hold note and use both thumbs to ease yourself into how that part goes. Remember, those notes are in sync with each syllable of "a-ge-a-ge-a-ge-a-ga-in", so the most important thing is just keeping time with that!

SHarris78

Just been trying AgeAgeAgain having changed the lag setting from 0 to -20, passed the song comfortably on hard. However, that chorus bit I mentioned above still has me getting safes and sads - there are other longish sequences of notes in the song which give me very little problems but the chorus always causes issues. I genuinely think there's an issue with that part.

Edit; yeah just tried the intense voice song on hard. Definitely lag going on (to go with my uselessness that is!).

SHarris78

Using a regular DS4. It's really frustrating, just tried that yodelling song on hard at lag -30 and did pretty well, put it back to 0 (which I've always left it on up to now) and did significantly better. If was really good at the game if be able to notice when the lag setting was set correctly, but as a very average player I feel it's holding me back improving.

Yeah, I have no idea what you're experiencing but it seems to be in your head. My last session with the DS4 I was working on <5% Fine count on Hard. I would have noticed timing discrepancies immediately.

yyr

So with the new patch they added a dedicated PV mode, which is great. But I can't figure out how to get the game to do what I want, which is to simply play random PVs, one after another.

Has anyone figured out how to do this yet? If I try to add "random" to the playlist, it picks a specific song randomly and adds it, instead of adding "random." The lack of English on that menu is not helping me =\

muteki

My season pass avatars seem to be working now.

Not sure if accidentally redownloading pack 1 fixed it or if they just showed up in my list by themselves.

Edit: had a wierd bug happen last night. The audio went out for 2-3 seconds then when it came back it picked up where it left off, meaning it was 2-3 seconds out of sync. Pausing/unpausing fixed it, but first time I've had that happen.

Murray97

Is there any news of this being released in the west or should I just get project diva x?

Really want to play a Miku game on PS4 and I loved the previous PS3 releases but I heard that PDX isn't very highly rated compared to the previous games.

Is there any news of this being released in the west or should I just get project diva x?

Really want to play a Miku game on PS4 and I loved the previous PS3 releases but I heard that PDX isn't very highly rated compared to the previous games.
Honestly, I think we would have heard something by now if it was going to happen at all. I probably wouldn't bother if I were Sega though; it's an extremely trivial matter to buy a Japanese PSN release these days and anyone who was going to buy it would have done so by now. The target audience just isn't there.

miku

Forget localization and buy Future Tone now to support miku!

Kumubou

Honestly, I think we would have heard something by now if it was going to happen at all. I probably wouldn't bother if I were Sega though; it's an extremely trivial matter to buy a Japanese PSN release these days and anyone who was going to buy it would have done so by now. The target audience just isn't there.
I don't buy this at all -- why bother porting the previous games, then? There could be legitimate reasons why it doesn't make sense to localize it (music licensing is always a bitch) but I honestly believe that there's a market for the game in the US and elsewhere -- I don't think it would do any worse than X has, to be honest (and even if it did the same or even worse, they would make more money from it since it's digital-only).

It's not a perfect parallel but I know with fighting games the hardcore, competitive players will import the games but that's just a tiny fraction of the market (hundreds of copies, at best), and this is true for even the most niche games in the genre (to the point where these niche games sell better in the west than they do in Japan).

I don't buy this at all -- why bother porting the previous games, then? There could be legitimate reasons why it doesn't make sense to localize it (music licensing is always a bitch) but I honestly believe that there's a market for the game in the US and elsewhere -- I don't think it would do any worse than X has, to be honest (and even if it did the same or even worse, they would make more money from it since it's digital-only).

It's not a perfect parallel but I know with fighting games the hardcore, competitive players will import the games but that's just a tiny fraction of the market (hundreds of copies, at best), and this is true for even the most niche games in the genre (to the point where these niche games sell better in the west than they do in Japan).
There's a huge difference between Future Tone's 224 songs for $80 structure vs. the ~33 songs for $40-50 that makes Future Tone a completely different ball game from the previous releases. As you say, nearly everything in the game is licensed. Clearly the numbers worked out that F, F 2nd, and X could come over. If Future Tone was going to be as easy a call, they would have said so by now; Future Tone has now been out longer than F was before its localization was announced, and the other two were announced as coming even faster. They normally say they're going to localize as soon as possible to dissuade people from importing in favor of the localized release; I'm taking the silence to mean that the costs just didn't work out this time.

Fighting games are not even close to being a parallel, simply because of the usually complete lack of licensed content. That, and the genre itself not being a niche within a niche, makes localizations a near-sure thing, so there are fewer importers.

Kumubou

There's a huge difference between Future Tone's 224 songs for $80 structure vs. the ~33 songs for $40-50 that makes Future Tone a completely different ball game from the previous releases. As you say, nearly everything in the game is licensed. Clearly the numbers worked out that F, F 2nd, and X could come over. If Future Tone was going to be as easy a call, they would have said so by now; Future Tone has now been out longer than F was before its localization was announced, and the other two were announced as coming even faster. They normally say they're going to localize as soon as possible to dissuade people from importing in favor of the localized release; I'm taking the silence to mean that the costs just didn't work out this time.

Fighting games are not even close to being a parallel, simply because of the usually complete lack of licensed content. That, and the genre itself not being a niche within a niche, makes localizations a near-sure thing, so there are fewer importers.
The problem with announcing Future Tone more quickly relative to the other games is that they would have announced it before the release of X, which would have been awkward. It's possible that they might be trying to position the game for release later in 2017, especially if X is the last game in the series (the trend in sales for this game in Japan is... not good).

The reason I brought up fighting games was more for the point about how the majority of the market doesn't import. It's still something that publishers have to worry about (especially with the number of copies they're dealing with -- losing a few hundred sales may have an appreciable impact). Furthermore, that's not a genre that's a stone cold lock to be localized either, especially for the more niche games. Just in regards to recent releases, DBFCI wasn't localized (and that wouldn't have gone over well) and Koihime Enbu and Blade Arcus were not localized until they got PC ports.

I do agree that the single biggest hang-up is going to be the song licensing, and that really comes down to the specific terms Sega negotiated and how streamlined that process is -- and that's something nobody here is going to know. I think the US Round 1 locations are an interesting data point here, since they can run the game in California and Texas but nowhere else (as even the newer CA and TX locations have cabinets, but nowhere else does). So it shows that the licensing is practical at some level... but that's just a weird situation all around.

The problem with announcing Future Tone more quickly relative to the other games is that they would have announced it before the release of X, which would have been awkward. It's possible that they might be trying to position the game for release later in 2017, especially if X is the last game in the series (the trend in sales for this game in Japan is... not good).

The reason I brought up fighting games was more for the point about how the majority of the market doesn't import. It's still something that publishers have to worry about (especially with the number of copies they're dealing with -- losing a few hundred sales may have an appreciable impact). Furthermore, that's not a genre that's a stone cold lock to be localized either, especially for the more niche games. Just in regards to recent releases, DBFCI wasn't localized (and that wouldn't have gone over well) and Koihime Enbu and Blade Arcus were not localized until they got PC ports.

I do agree that the single biggest hang-up is going to be the song licensing, and that really comes down to the specific terms Sega negotiated and how streamlined that process is -- and that's something nobody here is going to know. I think the US Round 1 locations are an interesting data point here, since they can run the game in California and Texas but nowhere else (as even the newer CA and TX locations have cabinets, but nowhere else does). So it shows that the licensing is practical at some level... but that's just a weird situation all around.
I still think it's an incredibly dicey proposition to go through the trouble/expense (whatever it may be) of licensing everything just to release the same game a year after it was released in Japan on a region free console. The timing is definitely unfortunate, though it's just the latest in a long line of decisions made in Japan with no consideration at all for overseas markets (DBFCI being a glaring example of this).

I really don't get the argument that rhythm games aren't an import heavy genre. The genre as a whole has not really caught on at all here; for a very long time, if you wanted core rhythm games you had to import. And that is still true for pretty much every rhythm game that doesn't tie in to some other property (Hatsune Miku, Final Fantasy, Persona, etc.). DJMAX and Superbeat XONiC were the only ones in recent memory crazy enough to not rely on licensing or tying themselves to another franchise, and both games kind of bombed.

Also, the Round1 case is indeed peculiar, especially since the English Project DIVA Arcade website actually bothered to remove the link to the US locations page (although it remains orphaned and the locations list even updates to list the locations that opened after the English website stopped updating). Note Illinois is also an approved territory, being the three states Round1 operated within when whatever deal they have with Sega was struck.

Having a blast with Diva X on the Vita.
This game as a PS4 only title, means no more Miku games on Vita from now on?
Future Tone is an arcade port, which is why it is PS4 only. It's not exactly related to the mainline series; different producers and development teams. I would imagine the Vita is actually still the lead console for the mainline team, given how much bigger the DIVA X Vita release was in Japan (whereas the PS4 release was sent out to silently die).

Mandelbo

How did the sales for Future Tone compare to Diva X in Japan? I imagine that X would have an advantage due to being on two platforms, but I was under the impression that FT was relatively popular over there.

yyr

So with the new patch they added a dedicated PV mode, which is great. But I can't figure out how to get the game to do what I want, which is to simply play random PVs, one after another.

Has anyone figured out how to do this yet? If I try to add "random" to the playlist, it picks a specific song randomly and adds it, instead of adding "random." The lack of English on that menu is not helping me =\

Anybody figure this out? I want it really badly =\

Zhao_Yun

Anybody figure this out? I want it really badly =\

I played around with it yesterday and couldn't find any option to do what you want. The only thing you could do is to add all songs manually into a playlist and then choose the "Shuffle" Option for Playback.

yyr

Is there a limit to the number of songs that can be added to a playlist, though? I remember seeing the number 30 somewhere...unless it was talking about something else.

If that isn't the limit, I suppose I could just add every song to a playlist and shuffle it.

There was a guy that was streaming PVs shuffled on YouTube over the weekend. I tuned in at the two hour mark, which miiight have been the 30th song? But I doubt they would set a limit that small.

yyr

OK, so I can verify that you can shove every song onto one PV playlist. So it looks like I can get what I want after all, I just had to manually add every song onto a playlist.

Still gotta buy the DLC. Is the season pass a limited time offer?

muteki

There was a guy that was streaming PVs shuffled on YouTube over the weekend. I tuned in at the two hour mark, which miiight have been the 30th song? But I doubt they would set a limit that small.

Someone is streaming now...I guess I don't need this Future Tone Spotify playlist anymore.

Now I'm getting used to macros, I realised I misunderstood how hold notes worked. Like using the triggers to keep adding single holds together. Some of these combinations would have been impossible or really uncomfortable on controller otherwise. Getting way better scores on extreme songs now. Up to 40 perfects so far.

ChrisD

Man, I don't know what I did, but Project Diva has now bugged out on me three times in Future Tone, once in PDX PS4, and just last night my Vita Digital copy of F2nd bugged out.

The Future Tone occurences see the game freeze for a second with the sound still playing, but the game doesn't fast-forward, so all the button prompts are way off-time.

The one in X was the same, but it fast-forwarded resulting in me missing notes but still able to get back on-time.

F2nd was just being choppy. Both sound and video were freezing for short periods of time for... I'd say six~ seconds?

And it's all happened in roughly a month, despite no bugs ever happening before. It's the DivApocalypse. :eek:

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Been a while, but curious if anyone knows.

In the middle of a song, you can select the third option on the pause menu. The last option used to be a simple on the fly calibration. It's now significantly more complex looking. Anyone able to help me figure out what it is?

Also, it's been asked before, but since using my controller more, I've noticed a timing issue that maybe someone can help with. When I hit the button on my controller, I hear a nice "click", but it's obvious that the note is registering late. Which direction would the calibration need to go in order to start honing in on that issue? Or maybe help on the whole "simple calibration"? I can't tell if I'm supposed to hit when it crosses or when it SOUNDS like it should cross.

There is per-song calibration now, so both the global timing offset and the song's individual offset is shown along with the total effective offset.

I've found that changing the offset from zero into the negatives will actually influence the audio cue, which quite frankly makes the whole thing worthless if you've guaranteed the lack of audio lag. I'm left with no choice but to keep the offset at 0 and adjust timing mentally.

Top Bottom