• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

rac

Banned
Getting the second wing of naxx is gonna be easy if I can keep rerolling to get 100 gold quests. Sucks I won't be able to get new cards while saving up for it though.

Lyng

you've been legendary multiple times then, right?

There is definately some skill to this game. There is a reason why some people rush to legend and others need to grind.
Every little decision matters in this game. Of course there is luck to the game, like in any card game.
But a world class player will trash a very bad player every time, regardless of draw.

That beeing said, getting to legend itself does not say much about your skill. Simply dismissing peoples oppinion because they are not legend, is downright idiotic.
Most players, given enough time, can grind to legend.
Alot of players, just cannot effort to put the amount needed into the game to get there.

I would say, if you want to dismiss people based on any rank, then it should be how high they are in legend rank, or how fast they reached legend rank. (based on amount of games played, not period of time)

I discovered the secret to making Aggro Warrior work decently in this meta. Give it elements of a Control Warrior's early game combined with a bunch of weenies. I call it Fury Tank.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/74028-fury-tank

I might have to give this deck a go. At least test it in casual and see how it fares.

Otherwise (sadly) Miracle Rogue streaked me up a couple ranks today when token druid could not. Still need Ancients of War and a BGH to make my ramp druid more competitive. Cenarius would be nice too, but I might want to invest in other epics or neutral legendaries first.

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
Getting the second wing of naxx is gonna be easy if I can keep rerolling to get 100 gold quests. Sucks I won't be able to get new cards while saving up for it though.

I didn't think you could reroll repeatedly anymore unless you know something I don't?

I discovered the secret to making Aggro Warrior work decently in this meta. Give it elements of a Control Warrior's early game combined with a bunch of weenies. I call it Fury Tank.

I used to run Reynad's aggro warrior or variations of it and I agree card draw was the biggest weakness. Glad you found a solution. How does it fare against Miracle Rogue? I've been using the original version of Colma's Tempo Warrior this season. Got up to around rank 12 or 13 and started stalling out to ramp druids and handlocks so I made a few substitutions and I seem to be climbing again. However, Miracle Rogue still seems impossible. I really don't know how to deal with it using Warrior.

I replaced that nightblade guy with azure drake. And I think I also added a loot hoarder. I don't recall exactly every change. A little less burn for a little better longevity. Sometimes you just don't draw mortal strike at the right time or you aren't ready to hit them into lethal range or always something that makes you wish you had a bit more cards in your hand to deal with.

scy

While I don't necessarily disagree with this, I do think it lends itself to a slippery slope on the whole discussion. It's really hard to take claims of how hard piloting decks (or, for that matter, how hard deck building is) without some form of experience at that level of play. Just because the Legendary climb is primarily a time sink doesn't really mean that the entire process can be dismissed. Especially if the discussion is going to be about the relevancy of pilot skill. Simply going "skill is irrelevant for reaching Legend" isn't the entire picture.

Besides that, it's a snarky retort to another snarky comment. The entire argument was pretty much one guy going "Everything besides making a deck takes no skill." Really, making a deck isn't that hard. Making a viable deck isn't that hard. Most of those kinds of deck building are pretty much just based off play experience. Making a consistently viable deck for the sake of winning 60-70-75% of the time over a long period of time and is resilient to subtle shifts (e.g., it isn't just preying on one match-up only) is hard. I honestly don't think anyone is remotely close to any of that level in this thread with mobius probably the closest.

And if it matters, I say that with multiple Legend pre-release (none post since I took a break for Diablo 3 and haven't really tried grinding Legend again) and most were done around the 100 games mark. If that's irrelevant (since pre-release), that's fair. Plus, I did at least one of them with Board Control Warlock (aka, Zoo before Zoo) so pitchforks at the ready.

Lyng

While I don't necessarily disagree with this, I do think it lends itself to a slippery slope on the whole discussion. It's really hard to take claims of how hard piloting decks (or, for that matter, how hard deck building is) without some form of experience at that level of play. Just because the Legendary climb is primarily a time sink doesn't really mean that the entire process can be dismissed. Especially if the discussion is going to be about the relevancy of pilot skill. Simply going "skill is irrelevant for reaching Legend" isn't the entire picture.

Like I said in my initial post, there is definately skill involved.
Besides that I do not agree with the former argument that piloting a deck requires zero skill or even less skill then building a deck.
Just because the game is easy to understand and very simple to play, does not mean there arent deeper strategies involved.
That would be like saying there is no skill in Chess, simply because its easy to grasp the fundamental movement of the pieces.

My only complaint was the argument that reaching Legend gives someone the right to completely dismiss others oppinions, simply based on the fact that they have not put in the time to grind to legend.

Lets be honest this game is very very simple, and alot of CCG players will have a very good understanding on how different cards interact with and versus each other, and will quiet easily understand how to tackle different meta shifts, if they have experience from much deeper games like Magic or Netrunner, even if they never grind to legendary.

So to sum up, the point I am trying to make is: Someone who has spent years with card games might have more understanding on strategy or the meta then someone who grinded to legendary where Hearthstone maybe is the first CCG.

I hope this makes sense, since english is not my native tongue.

Like I said in my initial post, there is definately skill involved.
Besides that I do not agree with the former argument that piloting a deck requires zero skill or even less skill then building a deck.
Just because the game is easy to understand and very simple to play, does not mean there arent deeper strategies involved.
That would be like saying there is no skill in Chess, simply because its easy to grasp the fundamental movement of the pieces.

My only complaint was the argument that reaching Legend gives someone the right to completely dismiss others oppinions, simply based on the fact that they have not put in the time to grind to legend.

Lets be honest this game is very very simple, and alot of CCG players will have a very good understanding on how different cards interact with and versus each other, and will quiet easily understand how to tackle different meta shifts, if they have experience from much deeper games like Magic or Netrunner, even if they never grind to legendary.

So to sum up, the point I am trying to make is: Someone who has spent years with card games might have more understanding on strategy or the meta then someone who grinded to legendary where Hearthstone maybe is the first CCG.

I hope this makes sense, since english is not my native tongue.

I don't think legends should dismiss other's opinions outright, I certainly don't, but that simplifying the path to legend as just a grind is in fact diminishing the amount you actually learn from that "journey" (for lack of better term). Yes, I consider it a grind but grind has certain negative connotations to it like almost implying it was a brainless effort or nothing was really gained from the effort. It takes a certain amount of time, but I wouldn't call it a grind in the sense that you just put the time in and that is it.

I think the other thing I am trying to get at is that putting the time in to hit legend is important and not the hitting legendary itself.

edit:
I will admit I haven't hit legend since launch but mainly due to not wanting to put that time in. In fact, it is a bit of a grind after you've already done it and know you can do it again. I'm probably very confusing. I dislike vague words like grind anyway.

Lyng

I think the other thing I am trying to get at is that putting the time in to hit legend is important and not the hitting legendary itself.

I agree, and I am sure you learn a lot from experiencing the different metashifts during the climb and the increase in skill you face.
I certainly dont hope my comments made me seem dismissive of what it takes to reach legend.

CradleOfMan

Neo Member
Naxx! Yipppppeeee! New cards!
Been playing almost exclusively Arena with its uncertainties making things fun. I could only motivate myself to play constructed for dailies to save up for Naxx. New cards should help shake things up (pretty please) so that I don't feel like I'm just going through the motions with every opponent.

zoukka

BgsgnPw.jpg

Not shown... Al Akir :D

Crusher shaman is pretty fun, it's like Handlock but easier. It lacks the late game burst of Shaman decks that run Al'Akir + Doomhammer + rockbiter + flametongue, but you're pretty likely to get something they can't easily remove by turn 5 which helps a ton against aggro.

Hard to deal with freeze mages and I haven't figured out how to play it effectively against miracle (praying for a 4-damage lightning storm proc on the stealthed gadgetzan feels like such a non-optimal play, and sap destroys a lot of what this deck wants to do), but it seems more stable against the "wait WTF" decks of <10 ranks I'm grinding through.

zoukka

So do rogues and mages and warlocks and Warriors and and....

Please stop crying for nerfs. Or at least bring something to the table as to why...

Druid is too safe against too many decks. What other deck can run two two card finisherd that also act as flexible removals and buffs? Mana ramp just doesn't work in HS, it's too good especially if you go second and get extra card and the coin.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Fucking golden Ysera...

Did your Core Hound get even one face hit in all those games?

...it did ONCE! lol

I was very surprised it got as far as it did. I had little late game and I had no concecration (I don't usually do well in Arena without some kind of AOE). Avenging Wrath helped me a couple of times but I got lucky with it once. Funny enough, Holy Wrath was actually more useful for me and even won me a game single handedly.

Lyng

Druid is too safe against too many decks. What other deck can run two two card finisherd that also act as flexible removals and buffs? Mana ramp just doesn't work in HS, it's too good especially if you go second and get extra card and the coin.

On the same note you could argue that Warlock need a nerf because the ability to draw a card every turn is too good.
The game just needs more cards at this point and also more mechanics.

Also its hardly flexible as you need minions on the board in order to utilise savage roar.
Keep the druids board nice and clean and its a dead card.
Not going under a certain health level should be no problem as a control warrior. Also you should be use to watching out for the healthlevel anyway, its hardly only druid that has super effective finishers.

J0dy77

For anyone thinking about purchasing wings of Naxx and have an iPad:

$5 off a $10 code with Paypayl checkout option here:

http://www.pcgamesupply.com/

Use coupon code itunesjuly

I'm going to go with the 1400 gold for 2 wings and this card for the last 2, total Naxx cost $5.

There is definately some skill to this game. There is a reason why some people rush to legend and others need to grind.
Every little decision matters in this game. Of course there is luck to the game, like in any card game.
But a world class player will trash a very bad player every time, regardless of draw.
That beeing said, getting to legend itself does not say much about your skill. Simply dismissing peoples oppinion because they are not legend, is downright idiotic.
Alot of players, just cannot effort to put the amount needed into the game to get there.

I would say, if you want to dismiss people based on any rank, then it should be how high they are in legend rank, or how fast they reached legend rank. (based on amount of games played, not period of time)

Highly doubtful. You can have the best player in the world not draw any answers to whats being played against him - what can he do?

Tarazet

I used to run Reynad's aggro warrior or variations of it and I agree card draw was the biggest weakness. Glad you found a solution. How does it fare against Miracle Rogue? I've been using the original version of Colma's Tempo Warrior this season. Got up to around rank 12 or 13 and started stalling out to ramp druids and handlocks so I made a few substitutions and I seem to be climbing again. However, Miracle Rogue still seems impossible. I really don't know how to deal with it using Warrior.

Haven't run into any Rogue yet with it, but Miracle is a tough match-up for anyone. That's why the deck is everywhere.

Looking at this deck, are you really getting any value out of Thalnos? You only have 4 damage spells in the whole deck, two of which will kill Thalnos and Thalnos would boost the damage that you're doing to your own minions as well. Seems like a Loot Hoarder would be better because of the +1 attack he might be able to trade up for a 3/2 or 4/2.

Edit: Does +spell damage boost the damage on Inner Rage?

Well HearthGAF, I'm pretty ecstatic right now. Hit rank five for the first time.

However, I do have a confession to make. It's been with Mobius' rogue deck. It's just been working so well. Hope he doesn't mind.

Edit: I don't know if there is any weight to this either, but I seem to get more wins late at night too.

scy

I agree. That said, the comment quoted was more of a snarky remark to a guy who was claiming that it takes no thought to get to Legend. It's more of a, "If so, where's your Legend?" comment rather than, "But you're not Legend, so why do I take you seriously?"

Highly doubtful. You can have the best player in the world not draw any answers to whats being played against him - what can he do?

I think you underestimate what a "very bad" player is :x

Water

Looking at this deck, are you really getting any value out of Thalnos? You only have 4 damage spells in the whole deck, two of which will kill Thalnos and Thalnos would boost the damage that you're doing to your own minions as well. Seems like a Loot Hoarder would be better because of the +1 attack he might be able to trade up for a 3/2 or 4/2.

Edit: Does +spell damage boost the damage on Inner Rage?

Of course, it's a spell and does damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom