• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roflobear

Just started playing this in the past few days and I gotta say the music is amazing. Totally wasn't expecting it to be this good. I've been listening Two Rogues, One Mark on repeat. There's this bit around 2 minutes in that's been stuck in my head and I'm loving it

frequency

Hafu is one of the worst hearthstone player I've ever watched. Misplays everywhere... I used to get so mad watching her play. "Oops guys!!" (loses). She may have improved but trump is certainly better imo

Hafu is one of the best Hearthstone players in both Constructed and Arena.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en...lay-season-1-final-rankings-americas-5-2-2014
http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en...lay-season-2-final-rankings-americas-6-4-2014
http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en...lay-season-3-final-rankings-americas-7-3-2014
http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en...hstone™-top-ranked-players-americas-7-16-2014

I like Trump more but she is significantly better than Trump at Hearthstone.

Hafu is good, far from worst at least, but I think she only is good at miracle rogue (her own admission during a value town episode) so it is kinda hard to judge whether she can cut it in a tournament setting. Certainly she can learn and improve.

frequency

Hafu is good, far from worst at least, but I think she only is good at miracle rogue (her own admission during a value town episode) so it is kinda hard to judge whether she can cut it in a tournament setting. Certainly she can learn and improve.

I think she learns better than Trump does. Trump keeps jumping between decks and not really getting that good with any of them.

Also she has very little tournament experience because e-sports thinks girls are icky and gross and they don't want to catch cooties. Tournament play is very different from playing in the comfort of your own home.

But talking about Trump vs Hafu, it's not like Trump has a particularly good tournament track record...

Also Forsen is similar. He really only plays Miracle on ladder too. But no one is coming here claiming Forsen is the worst player they've ever seen.
Or StrifeCro with Druid.

zoukka

Ten second lag after any move I make. Even against friends...

Maybe they'll fix this before christmas by the time Naxx is out.

Salex_

I hate how being around 20 hp means you can lose right when you end your turn regardless of how well you're playing. I'm thinking about why I lost this last match and the answer is "I couldn't win in 5 turns or have one of the handful of cards/combos to remove a stealthed Auctioneer".

Why can't defensive options be anywhere near as good as offense? The game is constantly telling me to use zoolock or the other arrgo decks :(

I'm not even sure why I continue to play this game when it's so frustrating. it reminds of when I played LoL. I wanted to find ways to improve and maximum my win percentage but I had deal with the random elements of not knowing who my team mates would be. The idea of being just above 50% = good was hard to accept since I primary play fighting games.

Bizazedo

I'm not even sure why I continue to play this game when it's so frustrating. it reminds of when I played LoL. I wanted to find ways to improve and maximum my win percentage but I had deal with the random elements of not knowing who my team mates would be. The idea of being just above 50% = good was hard to accept since I primary play fighting games.

I agree with you on them needing slightly (slightly!) more defensive options in Hearthstone, but wouldn't the solution to LoL be to make friends and group up?

I know, I know :). I am also a fighting game player, so less control is irritating at times.

Miracle rogue sure takes a lot of skill to play in constructed. It's a wonder Hafu was able to get so far in the rankings!
:)

Trump keeps things interesting by trying out different decks and coming up with his own ideas. Of course his win record is going to be lower since he doesn't play the "best" deck every time. Also arena doesn't count as it depends almost entirely on luck.

Alrus

Ten second lag after any move I make. Even against friends...

Maybe they'll fix this before christmas by the time Naxx is out.

Maybe it's not actually coming from Blizzard's end but yours?

Miracle rogue sure takes a lot of skill to play in constructed. It's a wonder Hafu was able to get so far in the rankings!

Trump keeps things interesting by trying out different decks and coming up with his own ideas. Of course his win record is going to be lower since he doesn't play the "best" deck every time. Also arena doesn't count as it depends almost entirely on luck.

Trump plays Miracle or Handlock almost exclusively on ladder. Miracle not taking any skill to play argument makes no sense, since Trump never got close to Hafu in term of ranking. Surely if Hafu was that bad he would at least be at around the same rank?

ViviOggi

Trump keeps things interesting by trying out different decks and coming up with his own ideas. Of course his win record is going to be lower since he doesn't play the "best" deck every time.

How do you explain Trump's recent spectacular failure of getting to any significant rank by "abusing" Miracle then? Hafu is pretty damn good.

Also arena doesn't count as it depends almost entirely on luck.
Oh, you got me there

Copenap

I can only assume that people claiming Miracle is a no brainer deck actually don't have any experience with it outside of the games they played against it.

zoukka

Could it just be the hardware you're using is really old?

Nope it's my connection to blizz servers. I have a good rig and the problem persists on my ipad. Never had similar issues before this monday. No other game or connections lags. The problem is 100% on blizz's side. There's a thread on their forums about it and most posters seem to be from scandinavia and eu.

Just as I type this. I have a match that froze :)

Game is unplayable atm for me.

frequency

It's probably some hop between you and Blizzard's servers. Unfortunately there's nothing Blizzard can really do about that.

Any online game you can find a small subset of people who suffer from extreme lag because somewhere along the path to the servers something is being dumb.

Try a tracert to Blizzard's Hearthstone servers.

I'm not sure what the fix is. When I played FFXIV my friend suffered from the same thing. It kind of just fixed itself after several months.

Edit: See this link: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/performing-a-traceroute

scy

I can only assume that people claiming Miracle is a no brainer deck actually don't have any experience with it outside of the games they played against it.

Or have never played it in high Legend ladder. A lot of the pre-Legend ladder is filled with "bad" players, unoptimized decks, and a lot of other things that makes it hard to properly assess decks.

Edit: Also, Miracle and Trump just don't mix very well. Trump plays to not lose which isn't really something you do with a deck with an explosive draw engine like Miracle. Those points of damage lost here and there matter a lot in the style of play for Miracle. Trump is better with Zoo and Control decks where the goal is out valuing the opponent and denying their ways to win.

I see everything is still the same in here since I stopped playing

I can't quite choose which is funnier to me. The "Hearthstone is pay2win" idea or the "Arena is all luck" idea.

Flayer

Hafu is a stronger player than Trump (who is a really good player but not quite triple S class). I honestly think a ton of the criticism that Hafu gets is purely based on sexism because I don't see any other players on her level get anything like the amount of dismissiveness about their skill level.

hell I introduced scy to Hafu in closed beta when she was Arena only and like nobody watched her. She quickly became our favourite streamer because she was interesting and was clearly the best of the big 3 Hearthstone streamers. Probably one of the best Arena players full stop.

It's no surprise to me that now she's properly playing constructed she's one of the best.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I see everything is still the same in here since I stopped playing

I can't quite choose which is funnier to me. The "Hearthstone is pay2win" idea or the "Arena is all luck" idea.

I find it funny when people who aren't legend say Deck X takes no skill. Geez, if that's the case then I'm sure you can reach legend immediately after switching to that deck. See you at Blizzcon!

It's the same in all competitive games, especially one-on-one competitive games like CCGs. People will always look for a reason to pass off their own mistakes and blame the game, not themselves.

Whether it's "Arena is all luck and that's why I never win!" or "Miracle Rogue so broken!".

The sooner people look at themselves, realise that it's them making mistakes or not playing well and try to improve rather than blaming everything else, the more fun they'll have with the game.

And threads like these wouldn't be hella painful to read at times. It'll never fully happen, but one can dream.

zoukka

It's probably some hop between you and Blizzard's servers. Unfortunately there's nothing Blizzard can really do about that.

Any online game you can find a small subset of people who suffer from extreme lag because somewhere along the path to the servers something is being dumb.

Try a tracert to Blizzard's Hearthstone servers.

I'm not sure what the fix is. When I played FFXIV my friend suffered from the same thing. It kind of just fixed itself after several months.

Edit: See this link: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/performing-a-traceroute

Oh man I feel dumb for raging so hard. I rerouted some cables and replaced my antenna cable splitter...

NO LAG!

Back to being a sane person. It's crazy what a game that you love but cannot play does to you. I'm such a nerd -.-

ShinNL

I like how so many people argue about 'skill' when most people here are netdecking (one or two tweaks doesn't make it 'yours'). Accounting for enemy cards and calculating your chances of drawing your own isn't that hard and if you call that 'skill' then wow.

At least Reynad actually makes decks all the time on the stream in response to the meta. That's the most skillful part of a CCG.

Castcoder

Banned
Fucking finally. How small is the HearthStone team? You'd think they'd throw a few more people in to get it out. We 're still missing an Android port ffs.

I like how so many people argue about 'skill' when most people here are netdecking (one or two tweaks doesn't make it 'yours'). Accounting for enemy cards and calculating your chances of drawing your own isn't that hard and if you call that 'skill' then wow.

At least Reynad actually makes decks all the time on the stream in response to the meta. That's the most skillful part of a CCG.

Why would I make my own decks when people who play the game 24/7 do the analysis and work for me? It's the same thing with Magic - when the game is out for long enough you get these "top tier" decks that keep showing up and winning tournaments. Skill comes into play not with the deck choice but with how you play it since card draws and opponents come into play.

yes, creating a deck is skill, but piloting it is also skill.

you could create the best deck in the world that's flawless, but if you can't pilot it for shit, what use is it to you?

Like people get some insane decks in Hearthstone Arena but they're not good at piloting them. I've gotten some shitty decks and yet I still have a 77% Arena win rate and have beaten decks better than mine, simply because I could pilot my deck better.

If piloting decks wasn't a skill then everyone would be legend because it's just that easy right?

Come on.

scy

There are always two parts to the competitive scene for TCG/CCGs: The piloting of decks (which also tends to encompass things like small play-based tweaks) and the building of decks. Rarely will you have someone who is at the top of the game at both.

rac

Banned

I'd rather netdeck something that's proven to work, than waste gold/dust making a deck that has probably been tried and failed.

edit: If everyone had every card unlocked you'd probably see more variation.

Zemm

I pretty much use Trump decks as a base then fit my own cards in where they are better then tweak them for the kinds of decks I usually play against, I dunno if that's netdecking, I don't think it is, but I also don't really care :p

ShinNL

If piloting decks wasn't a skill then everyone would be legend because it's just that easy right?
Unless someone gets their Legendary rank without losing a single match, then being Legend means jack except that people spend way more free time on the game than others.

I like how your argument is based on people who create awesome decks probably don't have a clue what they're doing with the cards they literally assembled in harmony with a 30 limit. Yeah, people who introduced decks which are in the top meta right now surely are still rank 20 *cough cough*. The heck man.. the heck.

Unless someone gets their Legendary rank without losing a single match, then being Legend means jack except that people spend way more free time on the game than others.

I like how your argument is based on people who create awesome decks probably don't have a clue what they're doing with the cards they literally assembled in harmony with a 30 limit. Yeah, people who introduced decks which are in the top meta right now surely are still rank 20 *cough cough*. The heck man.. the heck.

wow. your reading comprehension skills must be really, really bad.

My point is not that people who make decks are bad players. My point is that being able to use a deck effectively is a very important part of the game and absolutely is skill, despite your assertion otherwise.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I'm really looking forward to trying out reincarnation in shaman. It might be one of the most versatile cards in all of hearthstone or it might be useless. But terrible or no, sylvanas + baron rivendare + double reincarnation is a thing I just want to see happen once.

It will also be interesting because I think the expansion will create the rise of priest to top class which isn't a thing I've seen happen so far.

scy

While the grind is based a lot on time invested, that's not really a good argument about whether or not people know something about the game. Yes, there are people who get to Legendary off the back of just a really large amount of games played (and the Ranked ladders promotes this with the win streak bonuses that funnels people to Rank 5) but these same people typically don't see much success in the Legendary ladder itself. It's a painful grind once you get there. Granted, many people don't play once they get to Legendary but that's another matter.

It will also be interesting because I think the expansion will create the rise of priest to top class which isn't a thing I've seen happen so far.

The problem is I'm not sure it cements themselves in any archetype yet. Like, currently they're poised to be really, really good against many traditional Control decks. It's hard to take the board back from a late game Priest. Introducing early-to-mid game transitions is nice, yes, but it dilutes their deck a bit; in their 30, what do you cut to get there? I think it'll shore up some of their early game woes and let them stabilize the mid-game but not sure if it'll be enough.

That said, much of the confusion at how this will go is all the unknown new neutrals. Those will be what potentially changes things immensely for Priest. Probably helping give rise to a Priest version of Lifecoach / Sunshine / whatever Hunter deck.

ShinNL

wow. your reading comprehension skills must be really, really bad.

My point is not that people who make decks are bad players. My point is that being able to use a deck effectively is a very important part of the game and absolutely is skill, despite your assertion otherwise.
"you could create the best deck in the world that's flawless, but if you can't pilot it for shit, what use is it to you?"

You typed it, don't judge me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom