• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinNL

Wow, I've been avoiding Warrior a lot but having some good success so far with a mid-range one. Double Armorsmith is crazy! Now I really want my Shield Slams & Brawl back.

Edit: Current decklist (not shown: Black Knight & Grommash). So far 5 wins in a row. It has just the right amount of steam. I managed to win against a Priest with fatigue vs fatigue.
pDYPdWg.jpg

ShinNL

Fuck no, no miracle bullshit here. Backspace aggro, and I would've had lethal if either my coldlight or leper gnome survived since I had two cold bloods in hand, but he stole them both T_T
Holy Nova, Shadow Madness, Pyro + Holy Smith would've cleared that too. I wouldn't consider being able to deal with a 2/2 and 2/1 at 10 mana OP...

Tarazet

Holy Nova, Shadow Madness, Pyro + Holy Smith would've cleared that too. I wouldn't consider being able to deal with a 2/2 and 2/1 at 10 mana OP...

Priests love to invent creative ways to fuck you over. I go into every battle with a Priest expecting the highest heights of bullshit and that's usually what happens.

Tacitus_

He'd used two smites and a nova already. And I lost the 2 hero damage from the leper gnome, which would've pushed him into lethal range.

My favorite thing is to Cabal Shadow Priest a Harvest Golem... Although taking a Maexxna come Naxx will be even better. Also, Gurubashi Berserker snatching followed by a ping from an Auchenai Soulpriest-fueled hero power onto said Berserker is nice too.

Yeah, Priests are tricky, combo-y sons of bitches.

I honestly don't see how Hearthstone could ever become a good e-sport. For people who play hundreds of games per month, the ladder actually works pretty well. The RNG gets averaged out, and small differences in skill have a very real effect on ranking. In a tournament, there just aren't enough games played for this to happen. Tournaments could change to a format where far more games are played, but that would be boring to watch.

well how do they do it in MTG and pokemon? hearthstone is far from the first competitive card game.

hell, how do they do it in poker?

zoukka

well how do they do it in MTG and pokemon? hearthstone is far from the first competitive card game.

MTG only has he card drawing RNG, in HS a lot of cards have random targetting and the biggest difference is no interrupting which makes HS so much less interesting and complex than MTG.

ShinNL

Shadow Madness + Pyromancer can create some crazy unexpected reach as well.

Or any Dark Iron Dwarf / Abusive Sergeant combo:

Shadow Madness + buff stolen minion
Buff & Shadow Word or BGH

Priest is so much fun ^_^
I have a dedicated stealing deck for that purpose.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wish you could play arena drafts against a friend...

Alrus

Fuck it, I'm just going to spend all my gold on arena runs and buy Naxx with real cash. I can't stand playing the same deck again and again in ladder because I'm lacking cards. Plus getting good at arenas seems like a better investment in the long run.

scy

MTG only has he card drawing RNG, in HS a lot of cards have random targetting and the biggest difference is no interrupting which makes HS so much less interesting and complex than MTG.

The card draw RNG is a lot bigger in Magic, however. There's a lot to be said about the potential of getting screwed with wrong sequence of draws between land and gas compared to just gas draws.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I am so fucking close to just quitting this game.

All I want to do is play *CASUAL* to do some dailies. But no. every *CASUAL* game has me running up against decks with 3+ legendaries, bullshit combos they pull out of their ass to win from out of nowehre... and such a bullshit unbalanced meta.

Fuck this game right now.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Fuck it, I'm just going to spend all my gold on arena runs and buy Naxx with real cash. I can't stand playing the same deck again and again in ladder because I'm lacking cards. Plus getting good at arenas seems like a better investment in the long run.

Just wait 2 more days lol.. All the decks are going to change..

All I want to do is play *CASUAL* to do some dailies. But no. every *CASUAL* game has me running up against decks with 3+ legendaries, bullshit combos they pull out of their ass to win from out of nowehre... and such a bullshit unbalanced meta.

Casual means that, games with no risk or reward, not limitations on deck contents. Not sure what someone else's collection has to do with "meta." It just sounds like you need to expand your library.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Casual means that, games with no risk or reward, not limitations on deck contents. Not sure what someone else's collection has to do with "meta." It just sounds like you need to expand your library.

I have a good card base. I'm just not going to pour tons of dust into making decks I only use for dailies floor-wipingly good. So I build relatively moderate decks and just run up against "LOLLEGENDS" "LOLASSCOMBO" every other game. Like seriously, all I want to do is get some wins with these decks quickly and be on my way. Is the playerbase not growing any more to the point where casual is only filled with people with most cards instead of people like me just trying to do dailies? If not I imagine it would turn that way soon because this sure as hell isn't fun for me, I can only imagine people just starting out seeing this fuckery.

scy

Honestly, I just wouldn't expect Casual to be "easier" than Ranked or anything. Just sort of expect to see the same things with no win/loss relevancy.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They might have to introduce a mode that places limitations on card pools, eventually, so new players aren't overwhelmed.

Gothos

Game has still some absolutely retarded bugs. Just now in my arena run the opposing Rogue was always summoning his dagger as 3 dmg one, rofl. Fucking bullshit.

Haly

Game has still some absolutely retarded bugs. Just now in my arena run the opposing Rogue was always summoning his dagger as 3 dmg one, rofl. Fucking bullshit.

I have never encountered this bug before. Are you sure he didn't have this out?
627.png

ShinNL

Wow is it annoying when a Priest keeps thanking you.

5 minutes later:

(reverse BM mode)
Starfire to face. "My thanks to you" -Druid
*Priest explodes*
You can play Priest but don't start to roleplay like one, jerk D:

There are 3 types of decks:

Combo (bullshit instant kill combos out of nowhere)
Control (trying to get to late-game and then throw multiple amazing cards, usually Legendaries)
Aggro (lots of cheap effective minions then finishing you off with the 4-6 stronger cards they have in their deck, usually charge or big weapons)

It's hard to battle any of these with a small library of cards. Both combo and control require you to have specific cards, or fall short against them once you face them (budget control vs actual control is hard).

It's a journey. Aggro is probably the easiest way to go in the beginning, but I went for control and felt the pain of trying to beat control while having pretty much nothing myself. I'd say Priest, Shaman and Mage are the best classes for budget control since they have multiple types of big removal.

Budget aggro can be really cheap though (use your dust to craft some easy but powerful common cards), but I personally don't like playing aggro.

Budget combo... well, I can't even think of one. Usually consists of a few specific but rare cards.

Hang in there! Before you get awesome stuff yourself, try to fit in Faceless Manipulator, Big Game Hunter and some Taunts in your deck so you're more flexible even against 'p2w' people (though most aren't actually p2w IRL).

And be careful for the few posters in this thread who will start making you feel like it's your fault just because you don't have all the cards. Obviously according to them, anyone who plays this game should own all the cards day 1. Elitists' advice usually isn't advice, rather just self-praise. Ignore them.

zoukka

The card draw RNG is a lot bigger in Magic, however. There's a lot to be said about the potential of getting screwed with wrong sequence of draws between land and gas compared to just gas draws.

Sure, but MTG also has a lot more powerful card drawing, cycling and rearranging mechanics. Also lands offer a lot to deck strategies and variation.

The Naxx cards trickle. The meta will slowly change, but not over night lol.

Zemm

They might have to introduce a mode that places limitations on card pools, eventually, so new players aren't overwhelmed.

Matchmaking searching for opponents with similar dust value to your cards would be nice. Or maybe a separate ladder for it, I dunno.

ShinNL

Matchmaking searching for opponents with similar dust value to your cards would be nice. Or maybe a separate ladder for it, I dunno.
Dust sounds more like a search for value. I think they should just upgrade casual and let players have an option to ban up to 5 neutral minion cards (and then let the matchmaking engine just skip players who've banned cards from the other player).

scy

Sure, but MTG also has a lot more powerful card drawing, cycling and rearranging mechanics.

To be fair, I would hope so. There's just been more time to figure out the placement of those kinds of cards. I do think that there's some effects that shouldn't really be complete RNG (that is things like Webspinner) but many of the in-play RNG effects can at least have the circumstances controlled. Part of the issue as well is that there's very few things to compete with the more-RNG based effects so they just get used by default since they're best options despite the randomness.

Basically, I don't really think the inclusion of RNG effects is really that big of a negative aspect, especially when it's more just serving to replace other forms of randomness. The bigger deal will be how the long-term design direction goes, though.

Also lands offer a lot to deck strategies and variation.

mutavault why

Still, one of the really nice quality of life things over the course of the years was the whole making meaningful lands. However, I still wouldn't classify many as gas draws barring some instances throughout the years.

everything was Zoo

And then anti-Control Control decks would just match Control decks.

Dust doesn't really denote much itself, really.

Rarity limits / Dust limits would create a similar scene just with cheaper cards. Maybe that'll be enough (since making the "best" decks is cheaper investment wise)? Depends a lot on the goal, I guess.

Minsc

Gold Member

All this will do is encourage netdecks that are dust efficient, so your opponent is running a beyond-your-wildest-dreams efficient low-dust deck, while your mix of good cards weighing in at 5000 dust gets slaughtered.

So you'd have a list of netdecks for 1500, 2000 dust, 2500 dust, 3000 dust, etc. Then the person just running two random legendaries that weigh in at 3200 dust bringing their deck total to 6000 will get slaughtered by the optimized netdeck decks that use no legendaries at 6000 dust.

It'd be something different and interesting, but the end result would be the same, precisely calculated netdecks to perform above and beyond what the normal user puts together on a whim bringing ridiculous OTK combos and frustration to the causal player.

zoukka

To be fair, I would hope so. There's just been more time to figure out the placement of those kinds of cards. I do think that there's some effects that shouldn't really be complete RNG (that is things like Webspinner) but many of the in-play RNG effects can at least have the circumstances controlled. Part of the issue as well is that there's very few things to compete with the more-RNG based effects so they just get used by default since they're best options despite the randomness.

Basically, I don't really think the inclusion of RNG effects is really that big of a negative aspect, especially when it's more just serving to replace other forms of randomness. The bigger deal will be how the long-term design direction goes, though.

Yeah the RNG is needed exactly because the decks are small and due to lack of interrupts. Lands in MTG make it so, that you can't always expect certain cards in certain points of the game as heavily as in HS. The game works and is fun to play, but it's not very exciting to watch imo.

The biggest problem is of course the small pool of cards which is a temporary problem.

Alrus

It's not really about other people's deck and more about me not having a lot of cards. The only competitive decks I can make are Zoo and Aggro lock. Playing the same type of deck all the time gets a bit boring. I honestly doubt Naxx is going to vastly change the meta overnight :p

scy

Yeah the RNG is needed exactly because the decks are small and due to lack of interrupts. Lands in MTG make it so, that you can't always expect certain cards in certain points of the game as heavily as in HS. The game works and is fun to play, but it's not very exciting to watch imo.

The biggest problem is of course the small pool of cards which is a temporary problem.

Also worth noting that many blocks simply had non-vanilla lands around as deck manipulation (fetch lands, scry lands) which isn't really something as applicable here. I wonder if we'll ever see deck manipulation ... I'm going to go with no.

But, yeah, we'll see how things go ... well, I guess at this point we're waiting for the first full expansion.

Haly

The other solution is to just slowly phase cards into "Basic" as time goes on so newbies have a better foundation to work with.

For people who already have those cards, give them some dust like 50% of the crafting value.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
How many times has the meta changed with this same set and you guys don't think even a few cards will change shit quickly?

Haly

And chances are there will be balance changes along with Naxx.

Calm your tits, you'll have a new meta to complain about soon enough.

RPGCrazied

So how do you get those different card backs? Is it ranks? I still only have default. I'm hovering around 19 - 20 rank with this hunter deck.

So how do you get those different card backs? Is it ranks? I still only have default. I'm hovering around 19 - 20 rank with this hunter deck.

the backs for the season are awarded at the end of the season if you're rank 20 or above. you can't get ones from past seasons. at least not yet, anyway. won't be surprised if they monetize that at some point.

also there's a back you can only get by hitting legend rank.

There is also the Fireside back which requires three games with three people in what is called a local network, or something. I just used some client to manipulate that, but most people just use their iPads and/or multiple computers.

Zemm

Is there anything more satisfying than absolutely destroying a murloc warlock? Like he literally couldn't keep a single murloc on the board. The answer is nope btw.

4 matches this evening and 3 of them are murlocs ://

And chances are there will be balance changes along with Naxx.

Calm your tits, you'll have a new meta to complain about soon enough.

I am doubtful about balance changes to any cards until after all of the Naxx wngs/cards are out. So much could change anyway, why re-balance a specific pre-Naxx card when the new meta may make said card less viable anyway?

Leeroy is the only card I would expect to be changed, but even that I highly doubt.

Kenaras

I haven't followed MTG in years, and even when I did it was casually. But as I remember, the meaningful events (Pro Tour, Worlds) did involve a huge number of games to determine rankings. Even smaller tournaments involved far more games, usually a best two-out-of-three Swiss format followed by single-elimination or double-elimination finals. Never followed Pokémon at all.

Poker tournaments always have a huge number of hands played. Imagine a poker tournament where the winner is decided after three hands; skill would play a small role in the outcome.

ShinNL

Is there anything more satisfying than absolutely destroying a murloc warlock? Like he literally couldn't keep a single murloc on the board. The answer is nope btw.

4 matches this evening and 3 of them are murlocs ://
I dunno man, beating a shockadin (1 2 1 2 1 Divine Favor more 1 2 1 2 1 2 1) with pyromancer plays and healing up from below 10 hp back to finishing the game with 30 hp vs 0 is pretty damn satisfying too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom