• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Don't forget, you can use it as a silence in a pinch too, depending on what effect a minion has. I've broken a humility / Peacekeeper effect with it, and while I haven't done it yet, you can use it to break the taunt on the 5/10 Ancient of War as well.

You can also use it to bring Twilight Drakes down to 1hp, if you don't have an Earth Shock handy.

Zemm

I fucking hate people that take forever on their turns from 1-10. Holy fuck these people are dumb. The timer needs to come down. Once or twice a match it coming down to the rope? OK, but almost every turn? Hurry the fuck up dumbass.

You can also use it to bring Twilight Drakes down to 1hp, if you don't have an Earth Shock handy.

Yeah, it's nice. I like having cards with so many uses.

Also, I heard you liked Al'Akir.

FPCAyRm.jpg

Hur hur... druid killed my anubar ambusher which bounced my black knight back to my hand on the turn that he plays a taunt... :evil grin:.

Payback for innervating a stupid harvest golem on turn 1. That shit is lame and not even strong. It was dead before turn 2 in an even exchange of cards and he had to hero power two turns in a row cause he went that aggressive.

According to the Mike Donais designer on the team the next expansion is planned to have booster packs and nearly 100 cards. No time frame given. Personally I expect it sometime early next year.

I'm a fairly new player, just using common decks for most of the classes, most of the games I try to play against others end up with me getting stomped by people using what seem to be much more advanced decks though.

Is there any point in continuing to play if I don't want to spend real money on card packs?

I'm a fairly new player, just using common decks for most of the classes, most of the games I try to play against others end up with me getting stomped by people using what seem to be much more advanced decks though.

Is there any point in continuing to play if I don't want to spend real money on card packs?

getting good at arena is the most efficient way to get gold and packs.

Xanathus

Everyone was a new player at one point and a large percent myself included have been able to amass several top tier decks without spending a single cent simply by doing daily quests and getting good results in arena. It comes down to getting good at the game and getting your daily quests done efficiently and regularly.

Also waiting for an expansion does nothing for you if you don't keep building up your gold and card collection because you will just stay further away from having the cards you need. It's highly unlikely that all of the new cards will completely replace existing cards and you need gold to obtain the new ones anyway.

Minsc

Gold Member
Honestly, no. If I was a new player I'd wait until the proper expansion to see if that makes it easier to get into the game.

Longer you wait, worse it gets imo.

The only thing that will ever change is there will be more content, and more people will have collected more content. Waiting for a proper expansion just means there's ~550 cards to get instead of ~450. And another 10 legendaries you don't have that everyone else will get easily, because they've been saving money and already have collected all the existing ones.

In 6-12 months from now, it's likely you'll see rank 20 matches full of legendary quality netdecks, and even more adventures that need 2000+ gold to get through in addition to Naxx.

People still bring brand new accounts to legendary rank with no money every week. It's just a matter of working with the cards you have and accepting you won't win all your games. Which is something that never will happen, ever. Even if you only win ~2/5, that's still not bad, slightly below average. If you're winning 1/10, you probably need to just work your deck some more.

Zafir

Yeah, it's a case of making use of what you've got until you can slowly build slightly better decks. I started a month ago and I've still only really got 4 decks I can use, and even those are missing cards and only one has a legendary in, however I have seen some success in laddering. Though admittedly I haven't really played at all the past 2 weeks or so.

Zemm

Longer you wait, worse it gets imo.

Agree.

In 6-12 months from now, it's likely you'll see rank 20 matches full of legendary quality netdecks, and even more adventures that need 2000+ gold to get through in addition to Naxx.

This isn't far off the case now, I got a friend into the game and the decks he was coming up against all had a Rag, Leeroy, Ysera etc, in the end he ended up buying the big pack of cards from the store just to get a foothold. You can do it without spending but I really don't know if it's worth the frustration. I mean we all know you can get a high rank with basic cards, but you have to ask yourself "is it worth it?" and only the person playing can ask themselves that. For me, if I was coming into the game now there's no way I'd carry on without spending money on atleast one of the largest pack bundles.

Zafir

This isn't far off the case now, I got a friend into the game and the decks he was coming up against all had a Rag, Leeroy, Ysera etc, in the end he ended up buying the big pack of cards from the store just to get a foothold. You can do it without spending but I really don't know if it's worth the frustration. I mean we all know you can get a high rank with basic cards, but you have to ask yourself "is it worth it?" and only the person playing can ask themselves that. For me, if I was coming into the game now there's no way I'd carry on without spending money on atleast one of the largest pack bundles.
I did end up buying a few packs at the start for the same reason as that. I came across a lot of net decks even at the higher ranks 20 odd.

Edit: To add, it's not necessarily just the opponents having better decks either. The fact they've probably got more experience on you is a big advantage as well. You don't know what cards to be playing around for the classes and stuff like that.

Xanathus

Theude's ramp druid deck with KT and no combo seems pretty interesting, I'm thinking of trying that out because I'm missing a copy of FoN.

lol wow, this mage actually tried to duplicate his leeroy on his own turn. Huge noob mistake. And before anyone says anything about the game not saying secrets don't activate on your own turn, it does in the tool tip.

Instead of duplicating his leeroy, he ended up getting damaged golems, lmao.

Zemm

I did end up buying a few packs at the start for the same reason as that. I came across a lot of net decks even at the higher ranks 20 odd.

Edit: To add, it's not necessarily just the opponents having better decks either. The fact they've probably got more experience on you is a big advantage as well. You don't know what cards to be playing around for the classes and stuff like that.

The edit part is true as well. I still think it's worth buying the 40 pack bundle and Naxx just to start off, assuming the person likes the game and thinks he'll put time into it. I really can't imagine going in bareback with the basic cards nowadays.

Thanks for the responses guys, guess I'll continue to chip away to see if I can get some wins in with my amazing common card decks.

This has mostly been the case for me so far, things look like they're pretty even and then suddenly my opponent throws a Ragnaros or Baron Geddon onto the field and I get stomped.

Every mage I play against seems to throw down double Ethereal Arcanists on turn 8 (I think that's what they're called) along with a secret that I can't seem to pop and they just scale into infinity before I have the damage to kill them off.

ShinNL

Shade of Naxx is pretty good in Shaman :eek:

To make it's combo work I have to have some good plays on turn 2 and 4, so Haunted Creeper and Windspeaker are pretty good for that. Some good early plays (the usual Shaman stuff) and Fire Elementals until you can finish someone off with Shade. It's basically a pre-planted Leeroy, which is also in the deck, along with Doomhammer.

The only 'problem' is that it's midrange, so if wiped it will be hurting for card draw quite heavily. Burst damage helps with being quite fast in range though. And being midrange you don't have to care that much about being on a timer, because you also have an offensive timer, unlike playing control.

Dreavus

lol wow, this mage actually tried to duplicate his leeroy on his own turn. Huge noob mistake. And before anyone says anything about the game not saying secrets don't activate on your own turn, it does in the tool tip.

Instead of duplicating his leeroy, he ended up getting damaged golems, lmao.

Well, to be fair, that is a change from how it used to work at release.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
All these Hunter bans

Of all the "zomg nerf" complaints in this thread, hunter is probably the only one that legitimately deserves one or will get one. I don't know how you do it though, I really don't like nerfing mad scientist, because it also nerfs secret mage and paladin and those two aren't the best decks and desperately need that OP mad scientist to function. As to a bunch of naxx card complaints; all the naxx cards are probably powercreeped compared to vanilla cards, but that's expected as the devs learned what works and what doesn't and try to make a focused expansion of all fun cards (in this case only 30).

It really is silly how some people play this game... so badly at times lol. I am trying out kelthuzad in my deck. Turn played it revives 3 minions. The control warrior decides to clear board except for kelthuzad... this is in ranked too... lol.

Well, to be fair, that is a change from how it used to work at release.

Actually that was made pre-release or at release.

So 4-5 months ago... I can't feel bad for someone who makes this mistake still...

Adding people to trash talk and deleting them after sending the message is pretty sad. I've had it happen three times in the last day or so. =/

mad scientist is fine, i think. it's definitely a powerful card but it's not game breaking. maybe if it was a 3/2.

buzzard is the problem. but i don't know how you tweak it without neutering the class.

mad scientist is fine, i think. it's definitely a powerful card but it's not game breaking. maybe if it was a 3/2.

buzzard is the problem. but i don't know how you tweak it without neutering the class.

Make it three mana just like Unleash.

I don't know either though, but arguably no class has benefited from Naxx as much as the Hunter class. This is probably worse than the Hunter meta with the two mana UTH.

Alrus

Mad Scientist is kinda ridiculous for its price. The deathrattle + stats that trade well with 2 drops for 2 mana is insane in term of value.

tylerf

How far up the ladder do you have to go before you start running into people with well put together decks? I started playing after about 8 months using an old mage deck and I'm up to 13 without hitting anyone really troublesome. I'm not really up on the meta or anything so I expect to start getting stomped once I meet people who know what they are doing.

I'm finding the Mage secret deck a lot of fun. Stayed alive for six extra turns on five health and was able to win thanks to sludge belcher being duplicated 4 times and ice block haha. Duplicate is a lot of fun when you can pull it off properly

johnsmith

remember me
How far up the ladder do you have to go before you start running into people with well put together decks? I started playing after about 8 months using an old mage deck and I'm up to 13 without hitting anyone really troublesome. I'm not really up on the meta or anything so I expect to start getting stomped once I meet people who know what they are doing.

Depends on the time of the month. First week or two and you'll be playing legend players even in the teens. This late in the month single digits should start getting more challenging.

Haunted

Shamen. You have only one hex, you do not have silence, and you are facing this board.

Which one do you hit? Tirion, or Kelthuzad?
I mean, it kinda depends on the other cards in your hand (ooze/Jones?), but I'd say if you don't have a card to deal with Ashbringer, I consider Tirion the stronger threat in that situation.

KT won't be able to bring anything back during that turn or the next so you have time to build up an attack that's strong enough to bring down Sunwalker and KT in the same turn.

johnsmith

remember me
The only change hunters really need is making the card draw from buzzard happen on death. It's a BUZZARD! it only makes sense. And it'll prevent the BS of drawing into hunter's mark.

I mean, it kinda depends on the other cards in your hand (ooze/Jones?), but I'd say if you don't have a card to deal with Ashbringer, I consider Tirion the stronger threat in that situation.

KT won't be able to bring anything back during that turn or the next so you have time to build up an attack that's strong enough to bring down Sunwalker and KT in the same turn.

i completely agree. it's impossible to answer the question without knowing the rest of the shaman's hand. but with that many cards they should have some kind of answer. unless it's a crazy gimmick deck and those cards are all windfuries and rockbiters.

Yup, just happened to me...
ANOTHER FUCKING RETARDED ASS LOSS IN ARENA DUE TO THIS SHIT
ugh this game sometimes

They should NOT fucking record matches when the server is acting up like this. That's SUCH fucking bullshit.

ugh this game sometimes

They should NOT fucking record matches when the server is acts up like this. That's SUCH fucking bullshit.

you'd have loved the closed beta before they added match resuming

Emarv

ugh this game sometimes

They should NOT fucking record matches when the server is acting up like this. That's SUCH fucking bullshit.

Hope that wasn't to me. I just did that to a guy. My lag was just slightly better than his.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
i completely agree. it's impossible to answer the question without knowing the rest of the shaman's hand. but with that many cards they should have some kind of answer. unless it's a crazy gimmick deck and those cards are all windfuries and rockbiters.

Yeah. He actually didn't even have the hex in his hand, I just thought it was an interesting thing to think about. He actually used a hex a couple turns earlier on a Sylvanas, so I felt comfortable running everything out there and trying to make him pick. I kind of came to the same conclusion that Tirion was probably a bit more of a threat, but the fact that the Sunwalker is there doesn't make the decision immediately obvious. That's a scary minion to put Kel'Thuzad behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom