• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViviOggi

I'm trying to run one of those rogue Malygos decks since I got the card from a pack, and I am failing horribly with it. Is there a trick to playing that kind of deck? Or is it just not feasible with the current meta? I can post the deck list later, but off hand it goes something like back stab, prep, shiv, fan of knifes, the 4 damage with combo thing, poison, blade fury, si7, heal 3hp guy, that 2/2 with +1 magic, the 4/4 Dragon that gives a card, sludge belcher, Sprint, voilet teacher, 1 assassinate, Malygos.
The trick was playing it before Blizz killed Auctioneer

inter

Just got beat by a demon lock who went turn 1 voidwalker, turn 2 and 3 demonfire, turn 4 power overwhelming and void terror, leaving him with (I believe) a 12-8 minion on turn 4. Haha, is this what people talk about when they refer to the dream?

bunbun777

So I got my second Dr boom after already making a gold one, now that I have 2 normal ones it really screws with my auto disenchant. Am I really going to get 6400 dust one day or will DB not get nerfed?

ViviOggi

So I got my second Dr boom after already making a gold one, now that I have 2 normal ones it really screws with my auto disenchant. Am I really going to get 6400 dust one day or will DB not get nerfed?

Don't auto de, if you need dust just go through your collection manually, it doesn't take enough time to be worth wasting the chance on massive amounts of dust.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I have been playing a few games every month for awhile. Just noticed the other week I had a bunch of gold and used it on packs. Now I am hooked! The game is very addicting and satisfying once I started tweaking my basic deck. I had a game this morning where I was low health and my opponent was near full. I was patient and waited for the right moment, and dropped him to 0 in one turn. It is a lot of fun seeing a strategy play out like that.

Guys should I bother saving up gold for the Arena? Or should I just be buying packs?

I could maybe save up for that single player content, but that'd take a good week and I'm addicted to getting new cards lol

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Guys should I bother saving up gold for the Arena? Or should I just be buying packs?

I could maybe save up for that single player content, but that'd take a good week and I'm addicted to getting new cards lol

Just get packs skip arena for now. You really need to know how to choose your cards in arena which is probably difficult for you right now.

I think you should save up for arena. Its gonna take a while to get a real competitive constructed deck. But with arena that doesn't matter. All that matters is your skill level. So learning the game by playing a lot of arena tends to really work, even though arena plays out different than constructed.

I dunno why people are saying to skip arena lately. That just doesn't make sense in the long run. Even if you got 3-3 it is probably better to play arena in the long run since you'll eventually learn to go 7~ or more wins with even a mediocre draft.

ViviOggi

Don't save gold for Naxx, get it with real money if at all possible. It's the only piece of content that's cheaper in cash than in gold, significantly so.

The best course of action for a new player right now is probably buying classic packs directly and playing an arena for every two packs you've bought. This is because arena only awards GvG packs while you need cards from both sets. Read some guides, check out arena streamers like Trump, Hafu or Kripp on Twitch/Youtube and don't be ashamed for sticking to arena tier lists or software like Arenavalue for now, tons of people use it and you can drop it once you've learned to draft well on your own. You won't learn much from getting blown out 0-3 while your hard-earned gold will be gone.

Getting good at arena is still the fastest way to a nice collection, even if you'll have to buy classic packs directly as well. If you enjoy arena, that is. Otherwise just buy packs.

Just get packs skip arena for now. You really need to know how to choose your cards in arena which is probably difficult for you right now.
Constructed and arena are entirely different beasts really, and basics like value trading and playing around removal are actually easier to pick up in arena.

I must have bought 2-3 packs already.

Just been hovering on level 20, and broke level 19 once in Ranked.

Arena seems totally luck based with the starting character, so I dont know if I want to bet 150 gold just yet, though it seems like a nice change of pace.

Im banking on my opponent being just as knowledgable or less so than me. Are arena players particularly skilled or know what they are doing?

I must have bought 2-3 packs already.

Just been hovering on level 20, and broke level 19 once in Ranked.

Arena seems totally luck based with the starting character, so I dont know if I want to bet 150 gold just yet, though it seems like a nice change of pace.

Im banking on my opponent being just as knowledgable or less so than me. Are arena players particularly skilled or know what they are doing?

If you get 3 wins you break even. Also a good arena player can get 7+ wins easily with any class and most drafts.

I'm messing around with my ramp control druid. I pull the good old faceless + BGH on a control warrior's ragnaros. He makes the classic Sylvannas response to ragnaros. I have keeper in hand to silence.

Am I played classic hearthstone or am I playing post-GVG hearthstone?

Oh whats that... recycle in my hand? Recycle is sylvannas #reking ball.

I didn't have to silence, run bgh into it and hit with face - or even worse having to rely on ragnaros to hit the silenced sylvannas.

edit^

OK ill save up for arena for now then thanks!

If you run into trouble, watch some videos (do so before hand anyway) and get reoriented on how to draft and play arena.

Magnus

I've been playing fairly consistently since July. I still feel so fucking behind on cards. I can get about 2-4 arena runs a week based on how much gold I get from quests, and I win anywhere from 0-7 matches in those runs, but obviously always get at least one card pack from each.

My dust is always super low so I can barely craft a damned thing.

I can't comprehend how much you'd have to play to have thousands of dust or more than just a couple of legendaries (outside of all the core ones like the Naxx ones everyone has).

How do you all do it? God damn.

My major achievement of the last couple months has been cobbling enough dust together to craft one Cabal Shadow Priest (my first) for my main deck.

Should I just start disenchanting rares/epics/legenaries for other classes and focus on making the best possible deck for one class? I'm just so paranoid about DEing what could be great cards for other classes since I may never be able to get them again, short of expensive crafting.

What did you all do?

I've been playing fairly consistently since July. I still feel so fucking behind on cards. I can get about 2-4 arena runs a week based on how much gold I get from quests, and I win anywhere from 0-7 matches in those runs, but obviously always get at least one card pack from each.

I can't comprehend how much you'd have to play to have thousands of dust or more than just a couple of legendaries (outside of all the core ones like the Naxx ones everyone has).

My major achievement of the last couple months has been cobbling enough dust together to craft one Cabal Shadow Priest (my first) for my main deck.

Should I just start disenchanting rares/epics/legenaries for other classes and focus on making the best possible deck for one class? I'm just so paranoid about DEing what could be great cards for other classes since I may never be able to get them again, short of expensive crafting.

What did you all do?

It seems like you've been playing long enough that dusting cards should be avoided in general. I suggest keep playing arena and getting as much dust as possible from that and use the dust to make specific decks work out. You can still dust crappy cards even if you don't have more than 2 imo.

But basically focus on getting at least 1 good constructed deck at the very least.

Also a lot of guys here have paid into the game which is perfectly fine. It helps support the devs, future expansions, cuts down the grind dramatically, etc..

Magnus

It seems like you've been playing long enough that dusting cards should be avoided in general. I suggest keep playing arena and getting as much dust as possible from that and use the dust to make specific decks work out. You can still dust crappy cards even if you don't have more than 2 imo.

But basically focus on getting at least 1 good constructed deck at the very least.

Also a lot of guys here have paid into the game which is perfectly fine. It helps support the devs, future expansions, cuts down the grind dramatically, etc..

I bought Naxx since that seemed like a solid value but I'm terrified of the slippery slope of buying card packs. It'll never end.

And Blizzard's the last company in the world I feel needs financial support, as much as I love them, lol. I'm having a lot of fun with the game as is and don't feel the need to throw even more money at it yet, haha. But I recognize that paying in is one way to get more cards.

But just like TCGs in the past, paying for packs can really suck since you have no guarantee at all of what you'll get. Terrible cards, duplicates, etc.

I don't get much dust out of arena. I really suck in there. More often than not, I'll get 0-2 wins tops.

My constructed priest deck is solid. I'll do alright. I'll get to rank 15 every month on a regular basis. (That's decent, right?)

I play a lot (by my standards), around 3-5 hours a week.

I was just thinking, I've never bought into spellpower should affect healing argument. But maybe it should because health can't go over 30 but armor can. So armor giving spells won't be buffed but healing based spells could be. But battlecry minions will still not be given buffs from spells since BCs are never affected by spell power.

Strider

Just got a golden Mimoron's Head from an arena pack. Guess I'm going to disenchant it but not sure which legendary I'm going to craft. There's still quite a few I want.

Bolvar
Vol'jin
Grommash
Sneed's
Foe Reaper
Hogger
Gazlowe

It's a good problem to have but always such a tough decision.

Cipherr

What did you all do?

I did this. I play Mage/Priest/Pally. I sacrifice all cards from all other classes and DE all I can from them to make cards for my favorite 3 classes. Theres really not any other way unless you like arena and can consistently get high wins for gold, or unless you spend lots of money.

It creates some problems where I have to reroll dailies when I get those strip mined classes but /shrug....

Visceir

30+ packs in and I haven't gotten a single legendary. Is this normal or do I just have bad luck?

Unstable portal is pretty much the only way I actually get to play around with some legendaries. Favorite card in the game.

Anteo

What did you all do?

I did this and got some decent decks on Mage, Warrior, Paladin, Priest and recently Warlock.

I also was lucky enough to get things like Alexstraszaor Dr. Boom from packs

Raxus

30+ packs in and I haven't gotten a single legendary. Is this normal or do I just have bad luck?

Unstable portal is pretty much the only way I actually get to play around with some legendaries. Favorite card in the game.

It depends your luck. The range is from every 20-50 packs in my experience.

So I built a control paladin deck, similar to my midrange/control paladin of old but stronger vs aggro... sorta. I haven't played aggro yet. It has been control after control so far.

control_paladin.png

Really just a first draft. But here is a couple highlights:

BGH - Of course, Dr. Boom

Lil' Exorcist - Anti-aggro, also in control match ups drop after dr. boom for a 3 mana yeti with taunt.

Kezan mystic - 1 of to help vs mage and hunter

Spellbreaker - anti-sylvanas tool primarily

Seal of light - instead of holy light, 2 hp heal difference seems minor in the long run

Wild pyro - only 1 of atm, I still feel like this is a worthwhile include in control paladin even though many other decks have cut it. 2 seems excessive though.

Bomb lobber - these cards just seem too good to pass up on. I messed around with these in druid first and I feel like they'll work here.

Kelthuzad - the primary trump card aside from tirion

stampeding kodo - only 1 of, maybe even wrong to include 1 of since paladin got a couple other neat tools but I think 1 of is worth while.

Everything else is pretty standard-ish. I am not running muster or quartermaster because I think those 2 cards take the deck in a different direction. I also don't have quartermaster yet.

ViviOggi

Just got a golden Mimoron's Head from an arena pack. Guess I'm going to disenchant it but not sure which legendary I'm going to craft. There's still quite a few I want.

Bolvar
Vol'jin
Grommash
Sneed's
Foe Reaper
Hogger
Gazlowe

Depends on what you want to play most obviously but out of those Grom is easily the most crucial one for its respective deck. CW just doesn't work without him.

I was playing Arena as Mage against a Druid. He stole my Vaporize secret and would use his hero power instead of playing minions to force me to vaporize my own minion. So the subsequent turns were:

Me: Flamestrike
Him: Hero power
Me: Dark Iron Dwarf
Me: Hero power (no attack with Dark Iron Dwarf)
Me: Draw and play Darkscale Healer (no attack with minions)
Me: Draw and play Imp Master
Him: Finally plays a minion
Me: Imp into face (vaporized), then he rage quits and sends me hate msgs.

lololol

Szadek

Bolvar
Vol'jin
Grommash
Sneed's
Foe Reaper
Hogger
Gazlowe

I would say:
1.Grommash
2.Vol'jin
3.Bolvar
4.Sneed's
6.Hogger
7.Gazlow
8.Foe Reaper.

Holy crap. This control paladin decided to play out 10 turns of me having kelthuzad on board and decimating everything he plays. I would have won quicker if he didn't aldor my KT. Every turn I had to figure out what cards I wanted to res since the first to die comes back as a priority rule when the board is full. And I was trying to get rid of acolyte and forgot that rule.

He was a healadin and for some reason he never played tirion, although I am guessing he was trying to bait out equality or something perhaps. I had TBK + 2x equality, lay on hands, lil exorcist, and GOK in hand because for like 7 consecutive turns all I did was clear his board and have KT ressurect everything, lol.

Strider

So yea I went with Grommash and I already have a 5 win streak or something with pay 2 win Warrior. Grommash/Whirlwind combo was the only reason I won one of those games too.

Szadek

So yea I went with Grommash and I already have a 5 win streak or something with pay 2 win Warrior. Grommash/Whirlwind combo was the only reason I won one of those games too.
That's very common for warriors,altough usually it's with taskmaster.
Shamans ,druids and mages(some builds more than other) have similar win conditions.

Agraavan

I'm having a blast with this arena deck. Right now I'm 9/2, lost once for a face hunter and another to a freaking rogue that managed to build a Questing Adventurer behind a wall of taunts and when I was gonna finaly clear that threat, he top dicked a Master of Disguise.

Anyway, I think with some luck or in the hands of a better player this one can go the distance.

EQJj5SP.jpg

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I built a control paladin deck, similar to my midrange/control paladin of old but stronger vs aggro... sorta. I haven't played aggro yet. It has been control after control so far.

I don't really like lil excorcist. It's a little too situational for aggro and it's nearly useless in control. I mean yeah you get a 4/5 with Dr. Boom but unless you have a BGH followup it's still pretty bad, and then your second one is still nearly useless. I think Scarlet Purifier might be better. Or even Muster, really.

Cutting the second pyromancer seems like a mistake if you're not going to run Muster. The Pyro+Equality combo is just so good, and you're gonna have a hard time getting that pyro if you only have one of them, so you can't clear the board as realiably. Pyro+Consecration is also a pretty nice combo (cleans up Haunted Creepers and sometimes Harvest Golem) so you'll always get utility out of a second pyro I think.

Kel'thuzad seems really hard to include these days. Dr. Boom pushes it out, I think. Like it's hard to overstate how good he is, he just raises a really big question for your opponent and the boom bots can still get really good value.

I'm having a blast with this arena deck. Right now I'm 9/2, lost once for a face hunter and another to a freaking rogue that managed to build a Questing Adventurer behind a wall of taunts and when I was gonna finaly clear that threat, he top dicked a Master of Disguise.

Anyway, I think with some luck or in the hands of a better player this one can go the distance.

EQJj5SP.jpg

I love the 4 voidcallers cause even when a voidcaller calls another void caller it is pretty damn good value lol. And you have at least 3 other demons worth summoning through it. Nice draft imo.

I don't really like lil excorcist. It's a little too situational for aggro and it's nearly useless in control. I mean yeah you get a 4/5 with Dr. Boom but unless you have a BGH followup it's still pretty bad, and then your second one is still nearly useless. I think Scarlet Purifier might be better. Or even Muster, really.

Cutting the second pyromancer seems like a mistake if you're not going to run Muster. The Pyro+Equality combo is just so good, and you're gonna have a hard time getting that pyro if you only have one of them, so you can't clear the board as realiably. Pyro+Consecration is also a pretty nice combo (cleans up Haunted Creepers and sometimes Harvest Golem) so you'll always get utility out of a second pyro I think.

Kel'thuzad seems really hard to include these days. Dr. Boom pushes it out, I think. Like it's hard to overstate how good he is, he just raises a really big question for your opponent and the boom bots can still get really good value.

I should almost always have an answer to dr. boom because of aldorx2 and humilityx1. BGH in a pinch. Equality if everything else fails. First dr. boom I ran into I had x2 lil excorcists and a BGH. Talk about the VALUE!

Scarlet purifier is something I almost put a one of in. I forget why I cut it. At first I was gonna use haunted creepers, but then I kinda felt like I don't need haunted creepers anymore and shieldbot became my only 2 drop. I think I cut scarlet purifier in order to include more late game cards like sylvanas and black knight.

As for wild pyro, 1 is almost always useful. The second pyromancer has always felt incredibly useless. I would almost cut him altogether except he is pretty boss with consecrate and probably good with seal of light as well.

Kelthuzad is still amazeballs in the deck. Granted, I don't have dr. boom and maybe I'd include him but I don't think I'd cut kelthuzad for him. Just works really well in this deck. I am running him over ragnaros to dodge BGH, even though ragnaros would give me a stronger way to finish out a match. Overall, I am still happy with KT.

So far 5-0 with the deck.

edit:
Also, bomb lobber. Pretty good in paladin I feel. Just took out a loatheb with it plus 1 recruit.

Vio-Lence

Banned

KT is pretty nice in a taunt heavy ramp druid. You can hide him and he does work.

Agraavan

I love the 4 voidcallers cause even when a voidcaller calls another void caller it is pretty damn good value lol. And you have at least 3 other demons worth summoning through it. Nice draft imo.

It really is. That deck was an almost garanteed board presence with minions calling other minions and some heavy hitters. Even Foe Reaper saved me a couple of games where the enemy stabilished a bunch of threats.

Anyway, the Dream! The final boss was a Priest and even tough I had a slow start (Flame Imp turn 1, tap Turn 2/3), I managed to turn it around with basically all my demons on hand.

Farewell, awesome deck, it really was a fun ride.

Final Boss Defeated
EmMmJDq.jpg

The Dream
TCNCn9e.png

The Prize
O3wOpTV.png

The Mediocre Booster
vjs9leM.png

egruntz

shelaughz
Leeroy completely fell off the face of the Earth.
Was a 1 mana increase really that devastating?
Seems like he'd still fit right in most aggro decks.

You first arena run should be free?

Already did it when I didnt know what i was doing :(

Also, playing a guy and the game seemingly decides to hang on his turn. I am patiently waiting for his turn to finish, but it seems it timed out or something

Pretty ticked since it means I likely lost now :/

Hope that doesnt happen when I play Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom