• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szadek

Al'Akir is very important for the shaman deck,because the combos with him are usually what wins you the game.
Neptulon is also pretty good.Getting 4 murlocs is better than it sounds at first.

ViviOggi

Haven't played Shaman seriously in a while but yeah Thalnos should be decent. I'd probably take Al'Kir over Neptulon with all the BGHs around. Al'Akir will always be playable and is a more flexible card since he can act as both finisher and comeback mechanism.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Daily card discussion: Hobgoblin

lpK3N5r.png

I think the fact that it only buffs minions played from the hand really hurts this card but maybe it would be too OP if it buffed any summoned 1 attack minion, i just don't think this card is that good what do you guys say?.

Rapstah

Based on the Lorewalker Cho tutorial hero you face, I'd say they are closer to adding a Monk class than they are to adding a Death Knight class.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It would obviously be better if it also buffed 1 attack minions that were summoned, but that would be crazy OP. Can you imagine the Unleash the Hounds combo alone? Not to mention it would be in every single Paladin deck.

Raxus

Daily card discussion: Hobgoblin

http://i.imgur.com/lpK3N5r.png

I think the fact that it only buffs minions played from the hand really hurts this card but maybe it would be too OP if it buffed any summoned 1 attack minion, i just don't think this card is that good what do you guys say?.

It is fairly obvious why the card works the way he does. If they did do the change you asked cards like Muster for Battle would have to completely change and suddenly you get tons of value out of Paladin Hero power. Let's not forget Imp Master too.

The limits of the card are on purpose and it can still be very good in the right deck.

Fixed1979

I have Hobgobblin in one of my Paladin decks and he occasionally works quite well, though more often than not he gets targeted quickly or I don't have a good hand to match with him and unless you can use his synergy it's a terrible 3 drop.

If he buffed anything other than card played minions he would be incredibly overpowered.

Jumped into the new season last night with a Priest deck, first time I've really played that class since the very start (first class I played), most likely it was because I started out against weaker players/decks but I went on quite a streak (starting with 4 back to back priest matches). I almost forgot how fun the class can be, so many options available for clearing any single minion to complete board clears.

Maybe hobgoblin has a place in warrior decks, where he can buff both armorsmith and acolyte, but I'm hard pressed to see it ever displacing one of the other cards, especially with value cards like shieldmaiden and boom being added.

Xanathus

Maybe hobgoblin has a place in warrior decks, where he can buff both armorsmith and acolyte, but I'm hard pressed to see it ever displacing one of the other cards, especially with value cards like shieldmaiden and boom being added.

The only good hobgoblin deck imho is the druid one because token druid is completely viable even if you don't draw hobgoblin. The other ones are pretty fucked if you never draw it or it gets destroyed without getting value.

ZZMitch

The only good hobgoblin deck imho is the druid one because token druid is completely viable even if you don't draw hobgoblin. The other ones are pretty fucked if you never draw it or it gets destroyed without getting value.

Yeah Brian Kibler has been laddering up with a Hobgoblin druid deck. Looks pretty fun but I haven't gotten any Hobgoblins from packs yet

Thanks for the advice guys. I already have Harrison, thankfully, but judging by what you're saying, maybe I should prioritize Thalnos?

Which class legendary is preferable for Shaman right now? I know Al'Akir is kind of a mainstay in most Shaman decks but I'm not exactly sure how good Neptulon is. I think I've only ever seen him played once since I started playing again.

I think neptulon is pretty awesome for shamans. Its kinda like sprint that draws only murlocs and not from your deck. The fact that it doesn't thin your deck means you won't be running into fatigue damage faster - which can happen with sprint in long control matches. Oh yeah, it also gives you a 7/7... pretty damn good imo. edit: Well probably a sketchy choice now because of how many people run dr. boom making neptulon really BGH bait.

Al'Akir is solid as well. Although being expensive you'll have to often watch your overload to make use of him effectively.

I wouldn't prioritize thalnos. You can build solid shaman decks without thalnos. Most of my shaman decks don't include thalnos in fact. Thalnos isn't worthless in shaman, but I don't think he is key either.

Raxus

Just a quick Rundown of Neutral Legendaries (sorry if I missed a few).

High Tier:
Dr. Boom
Ragnaros
Sylvanas

Mid Tier:
Harrison Jones
Black Knight
Bloodmage Thalnos

Situational Tier:

Malygos (Spell Rogue)
Grommash Hellscream (Warrior Staple)
Tirion Fordring (Paladin Staple)
Baron Geddon (Warrior Staple)
Vol'Jin (Priest Staple)
Alextrasa (Freeze Mage, Warrior)

??? Tier:
Sneed's Old Shredder

High Tier Legendary cards are a big reason why control has reemerged in the recent expansion. You can see them in multiple decks as well throughout the meta.

Mid Tier is meta dependent

Harrison is a gamble but can win you a game if used correctly and is a decent body to boot.

Black Knight is also meta dependent but with the popularity of Sludge Belcher it is always a value tempo card with the added benefit of being a yeti.

Bloodmage Thalnos is a spell damage card that pays for itself and is cheap enough to combo with a spell. VERY helpful in rogue decks and not a bad card in general. Sadly in the current meta he has kind of fallen off.

I have no clue where to classify Sneed's. People seem to like it from what I have seen online. Pretty expensive though. I am leaning to it being garbage tier compared to the other shredders.

I am excluding Naxx legendaries since they are rather easy to obtain and Naxx pays for itself for anyone just starting the game.

johnsmith

remember me

High Tier:
Dr. Boom
Ragnaros
Sylvanis
Alextrasa

Mid Tier:
Harrison Jones
Black Knight
Bloodmage Thalnos

Situational Tier:

Malygos (Spell Rogue)
Vol'Jin (Priest Staple)

Alexstraza is situational legendary. Only control warrior and freeze mage regularly run it. It occasionally sees play in other decks, but it's far from a "stick in any deck" legendary.

Hahhah... priest... why do you sometimes play wild pyro turn 2.

Love autobarber rogue.

Just had someone instant concede when I dropped autobarber turn 3. I was expected him to coin dark cultist as priests love to do in which case I had autobarber + deadly poison.

Why would you concede in this situation...

I'd imagine losing a card for free is incredibly hard to come back from as a priest. I mean, I did kill his 2 cost minion for 1 mana and zero cards. He probably realized he was not going to win that.

I wouldn't concede there but that was a huge set back in the match up.

^

Thanks -_- lol

I finally used that pesky little 3 point robot card that switches out with a random minion. Really good for getting a big card out early, though the enemy has to have no destruction spells or enemies on the field.

Raxus

Alexstraza is situational legendary. Only control warrior and freeze mage regularly run it. It occasionally sees play in other decks, but it's far from a "stick in any deck" legendary.

Bumping her down. Also, changed Sylvanas' spelling. Everywhere I hear it pronounced confuses me on the suffix.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
In somewhat related news i can't believe i can stream heartstone somwhat decently with a 1MB upload connection, fucking crazy. I wish i was streaming when i recombulated my silenced sneed into a Foe Reaper 4000, in an earlier turn my opponent copied my sneed with faceless and when i destroyed his copied sneed it summoned another fucking Foe Reaper 4000! I wish i had recorded that :(

Taz

Just played a bot i think, was a Gold Priest and they played that card that let's your hero power deal damage and it just kept healing it's self till it died.

Dahbomb

High Tier:
Dr. Boom
Ragnaros
Sylvanas

Mid Tier:
Harrison Jones
Black Knight
Bloodmage Thalnos

Situational Tier:

Malygos (Spell Rogue)
Vol'Jin (Priest Staple)
Alextrasa (Freeze Mage, Warrior)

??? Tier:
Sneed's Old Shredder

High Tier Legendary cards are a big reason why control has reemerged in the recent expansion. You can see them in multiple decks as well throughout the meta.

Mid Tier is meta dependent

Harrison is a gamble but can win you a game if used correctly and is a decent body to boot.

Black Knight is also meta dependent but with the popularity of Sludge Belcher it is always a value tempo card with the added benefit of being a yeti.

Bloodmage Thalnos is a spell damage card that pays for itself and is cheap enough to combo with a spell. VERY helpful in rogue decks and not a bad card in general. Sadly in the current meta he has kind of fallen off.

I have no clue where to classify Sneed's. People seem to like it from what I have seen online. Pretty expensive though. I am leaning to it being garbage tier compared to the other shredders.

I am excluding Naxx legendaries since they are rather easy to obtain and Naxx pays for itself for anyone just starting the game.
Why did you make a tier list of Neutral minions but then also listed class Legendaries?

Here would be my tier list of neutral Legendaries for Constructed:

God Tier (the one and only true god)

Dr Doom

Top Tier

Ragnaros
Sylvanas

High tier

Ysera
Black Knight
Harrison Jones
Baron Geddon
Sneeds
Loatheb
Kelthuzad

Mid Tier

Bloodmage Thalnos
Alexstraza
Cairne Bloodhoof
Troggzor
Foe Reaper

Low/Irrelevant/Situational tier - Every other Legendary.

I am personally a big believer in Foe Reaper. Immune to BGH, nice balance of stats, great ability. If you get this out and it survives then it's really difficult for the opponent to regain board control ever again as long as he's alive.

Minsc

Gold Member
EJO7bUf.png

Assembled my P2W Shaman deck, after crafting Neptulon, which was inspired by Szadek's post.

Truth is, the deck is more like pay-to-lose, but if it survives the first 4 or so turns in decent shape, it's pretty much an endless stream of frustrating cards to deal with.

I think neptulon is pretty awesome for shamans. Its kinda like sprint that draws only murlocs and not from your deck. The fact that it doesn't thin your deck means you won't be running into fatigue damage faster - which can happen with sprint in long control matches. Oh yeah, it also gives you a 7/7... pretty damn good imo. edit: Well probably a sketchy choice now because of how many people run dr. boom making neptulon really BGH bait.

Al'Akir is solid as well. Although being expensive you'll have to often watch your overload to make use of him effectively.

I wouldn't prioritize thalnos. You can build solid shaman decks without thalnos. Most of my shaman decks don't include thalnos in fact. Thalnos isn't worthless in shaman, but I don't think he is key either.

Thank you. This is really helpful.

Guess I essentially have to decide between Al'Akir and Neptulon. Leaning toward Al'Akir a little bit since I feel like he fits a little better into my deck.

Sylvanas has already won me games, particularly with the Sylvanas/Shadowflame combo. Was worth it over Dr. Boom who's mostly a fatty vulnerable to BGH. I have Rag in place of him.

Man I forgot about the Arena.. should have saved my gold for that since it seems to give out good prizes

Why is Mage considered S tier for Arena?

Dahbomb

Man I forgot about the Arena.. should have saved my gold for that since it seems to give out good prizes

Why is Mage considered S tier for Arena?
Flamestrike is a God tier card for Arena (which is very board game, mid range minion heavy which Flamestrike is made to kill) which is a common card for Mages.

Frostbolt combined with Mage's hero power kills pretty much every 2-3 drop in the game. Hell it can even kill a Yeti with Frostbolt + Hero power then Hero power next turn since the creature is frozen.

Water Elemental is potentially the best 4 drop in the game. It loses to no standard 4 drop in the game, can normally kill two 3 drops (especially combined with Hero power). The freeze power is also very good in a variety of situations, it can absolutely destroy weapon based classes under the right conditions.

Fireball is a very cheap high damage spell that can kill minions or give you the reach you need to win the game. Plus Hero power we are looking at killing everything from Bolderfist Ogre down.

Polymorph is a premium removal for those pesky big minions or deathrattle minions.

All of these are common cards that you are likely to get in a draft.

Basically you draft these cards then get a bunch of high value minions and you will win. Cards like Mad Scientist plus a bunch of traps also help their tempo along with a few mechs if you get them.

Oh and Unstable Portal to add an extra layer of bull shit to Arena.

Maybe it goes without saying, but man I'm starting to get ticked with how good starting cards can really spell doom for your game.

Especially when the enemy starts with a balance of instant minion destroying cards at little cost. Got torn apart.

Any class have anything that counters counters?

Maybe it goes without saying, but man I'm starting to get ticked with how good starting cards can really spell doom for your game.

Especially when the enemy starts with a balance of instant minion destroying cards at little cost. Got torn apart.

Any class have anything that counters counters?

Hard to say without you stating any specifics. What cards you need to counter, is kinda important towards telling you how to counter :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom