• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
It definitely made it less popular overall since the only decks running it post-GvG were hunter and zoo. It was still a strong card in those decks, of course. But I'm not sure it needed a nerf.

Deathrattle priest, some Druid decks and mech mage variations ran it as well. It's the card that, for hunter at least, made it a lot more likely to be able to win against a counter class. It's still very much possible without of course, but the chances definitely decreased with this imo.

This news sent chills. So many people arguing there is no proof that UT is OP or needs to change. Then there was that thread about blizzard claiming UT was fine, and the blues stepped in (and even ben brode who never posts on the official forums) to point out that is not what they said. They pointed out the interview said they would continue to watch it and that the interview was old as well. Then the tryhard defenders (talking about official forums) argued for like 20 pages that the card is fine, won't be nerfed, etc..

Anyway... BRING OUT YOUR SALT

Cool another card nerfed due to cry babies who suck. Man between WoW, D3 and this game, So many whines and nerfs its pointless to play your freaking games.... Someone will just whine in a week and get rid of, change, or nerf something else in one of your games.

Glad you listen to the idiots all the time.

First post in response to the news. He has -120 downvotes at the moment, lmao.

Iryx

Surprised Dr. Boom didn't get changed as well with the first GvG nerf. Undertaker has been the foundation of so many aggresive decks so I'm looking forward to what changes are going to become popular for zoo and hunter.

Surprised Dr. Boom didn't get changed as well with the first GvG nerf. Undertaker has been the foundation of so many aggresive decks so I'm looking forward to what changes are going to become popular for zoo and hunter.

They haven't revealed the full patch notes or even the date of release so... who knows.

Probably no nerf though.

ViviOggi

See, the second I buy Naxx it's best card becomes obsolete. I'm sueing everyone in this thread!

post-30526-hot-fuzz-g45a5l.gif

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They're probably waiting to see how the post-Undertaker meta shakes out before touching boom.

There won't be a post-Undertaker meta because Hunters will still run it.

I need to find a new early game for my Shaman deck. I mean, I'll stick with UT for now just to see how it plays out, but I'm not optimistic. I'm not sure though if any other 1-drop would really be better, so maybe throwing in some 2-drop is ideal instead.

I was playing around with the idea of a hobgoblin + deathrattle hunter deck, but I don't know if that's viable anymore with the new Undertaker. Here's what I got:

Hobgoblin
Undertaker (buffed by hobgoblin)
Webspinner (buffed by hobgoblin, buffs undertaker, beast, beast synergy)
Haunted creeper (buffed by hobgoblin, buffs undertaker, beast)
Timber wolf (buffed by hobgoblin, beast, beast synergy)

The above are all good cards even if you don't get to draw or play Hobgoblin. Then there are the silly, normally mediocre-to-bad cards I could run for a laugh:

Secretkeeper (buffed by hobgoblin, secret synergy)
Patriarch silverback (buffed by hobgoblin, beast)
Baron Rivendare (buffed by hobgoblin, deathrattle synergy)

And for the rest standard hunter cards.

ZZMitch

Interesting change! I was kind of hoping they would make it a 1/3 with that statline, it just seems too weak now. But whatever I'm happy with it over all. I'll be a little sad if Control desks begin too... control the meta tho because I always had a lot of success with anti-aggro Priest decks.

They're probably waiting to see how the post-Undertaker meta shakes out before touching boom.

There won't be a post-Undertaker meta because Hunters will still run it.

I hope they do, I don't mind running clockwork gnome or zombie chow and backstab will always 1:1 it now. The half assed counters I was running before are actually now real counters, cause even in a clockwork gnome exchange with UT, I get a spare part out of the deal.

Strider

Most of my losses to Hunter (when they play UT early) have nothing to do with being unable to clear UT after a turn or two... It's always being unable to recover from the damage it causes, losing to steady shot over time and eventually KC. That hasn't changed. Plus Face Hunter is so strong it still wins a lot of games even if they never pull a UT.

Class will easily still be top tier and it'll be the same old shit.

At least the nerf will convince some people to play other classes and decks so we see less of them for a bit... But it'll come back. It always does.

Rapstah

I copied my opponent's Lorewalker Cho (which came from a Shredder) with Faceless Manipulator and we spent like six turns trying to get rid of the Wild Growth he played the turn afterwards. Pretty funny.

I was playing around with the idea of a hobgoblin + deathrattle hunter deck, but I don't know if that's viable anymore with the new Undertaker. Here's what I got:

Hobgoblin
Undertaker (buffed by hobgoblin)
Webspinner (buffed by hobgoblin, buffs undertaker, beast, beast synergy)
Haunted creeper (buffed by hobgoblin, buffs undertaker, beast)
Timber wolf (buffed by hobgoblin, beast, beast synergy)

The above are all good cards even if you don't get to draw or play Hobgoblin. Then there are the silly, normally mediocre-to-bad cards I could run for a laugh:

Secretkeeper (buffed by hobgoblin, secret synergy)
Patriarch silverback (buffed by hobgoblin, beast)
Baron Rivendare (buffed by hobgoblin, deathrattle synergy)

And for the rest standard hunter cards.

Might be fun, but won't be competitive. I'd put Jeeves in there for card draw if you plan on running that many low cost minions and it has synergy with the goblin as well.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Hunters disappeared for like a week or two after the Buzzard/Leetoy nerf, and then it became Handlock city. Just watch. Same thing will happen, and then Hunter will reemerge as it always has.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Greedy control meta incoming. This is a bad nerf. Enjoy your 20 minute control and mill/fatigue matches. Viable aggro and midrange is important for a healthy meta imo.

JesseZao

Aggro will still be very strong. There will be a ton of Mech Mage after this change.

Face Hunters will just run Leper + Clockwork again. Midrange will run Kodos or Dire Wolves.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Zoo will always be a baseline to keep control decks honest.

Zoo just has a fundamental strategy at its core that will always be good regardless of what cards get added/nerfed. Unless they ever nerf the warlock hero power I guess but I doubt that will happen.

Skux

I'm glad. Whenever I played Huntertaker it was like cheating. Does your opponent have 3 damage removal in their opening hand? If not, win. The Lil Exorcist wasn't even a good counter because it didn't work off Undertaker, only the Deathrattle minions that supported it.

But if you thought UT was bad, wait till you see Mechwarper.

iirate

This news sent chills. So many people arguing there is no proof that UT is OP or needs to change. Then there was that thread about blizzard claiming UT was fine, and the blues stepped in (and even ben brode who never posts on the official forums) to point out that is not what they said. They pointed out the interview said they would continue to watch it and that the interview was old as well. Then the tryhard defenders (talking about official forums) argued for like 20 pages that the card is fine, won't be nerfed, etc..

Anyway... BRING OUT YOUR SALT

First post in response to the news. He has -120 downvotes at the moment, lmao.

Undertaker(and Mad Scientist) are definitely overpowered, but I always assumed it was because Blizzard was taking a heavy-handed approach to balance, planting overpowered cards to push archetypes. I think that's something pretty much every major card game does to some extent, but that Blizzard's team has gone too far with it.

I'm actually excited that they're nerfing the card to something more reasonable, but I do wonder if more changes will have to be made because of it. Also, I really hope that if they're changing UT, they change Mad Scientist too.

Magnus

What does the term "greedy" in Control Deck/HS lingo mean?

Also, fuck these awful booster packs! Three this week alone that have only contained one terrible, non-golden rare - and two of them were fucking TARGET DUMMIES ARGHAGSHJAGHS

Weow, is Undertaker like a non-automatic version of Micro Machine now? It seems garbage.

Hah! Hadn't thought of it that way before. You're right. About the only solid positive is including several cheap death rattle minions in the hopes of boosting it more than just once per turn, which was rare in my limited experience with a UT deck.

edit- ah, as per ZealousD below, I forgot there was a mana cost difference between them.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Weow, is Undertaker like a non-automatic version of Micro Machine now? It seems garbage.

Micro machine costs 2 mana. There should be a significant difference's in power. Its like comparing Flame Imp to Knife Juggler and saying Flame Imp sucks.

It comes out quicker and can technically grow faster than Micro Machine. To be fair, Undertaker was only strong since of all other synergies it had were also strong, eg. Mad Scientist who was just mentioned.

Wouldn't be surprised if Hunter moved to mech based decks now that you mentioned that. Cogmaster is pretty good and Metaltooth Leaper can be insane. I just hope more interesting decks pop up.

It'll be mech mage, face hunter, and Zoo 4lyfe.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Decided to buy a 7 pack of gvg packs. All commons and 1 rare (per pack) til my 5th pack. As luck would have it I got my first legendary, but kind of a shitty one I'll never want to play (flame leviathan). Last two packs were nice though

ViviOggi

Okay so this happened in my last arena match, guy dropped a Bomber into my Harvest Golem on turn 3, killing it.

Who the hell does that? It's a free Bomber even in this best case scenario. Anyway it might have been his only play, happens. But get this: the match now has devolved into topdicking and I finally draw my Boom. He pings the 7/7 body, then plays another Bomber which unerringly kills my leftover 6/1 and both Bots.

That's ridiculous. These calculations have to be handled strictly server-side so you shouldn't be able to manipulate them, but the way he played those turns makes it smell incredibly fishy. Is this what happens when you believe in the heart of the cards?

So I just had a match where a Warlock won with Hellfire, killing both of us in the process. It registered as a loss for me, he had 3 health I had 2. Does the one with less health lose or do we both lose?

ViviOggi

So I just had a match where a Warlock won with Hellfire, killing both of us in the process. It registered as a loss for me, he had 3 health I had 2. Does the one with less health lose or do we both lose?

Pretty sure both players get the defeat screen but neither is penalized (i.e. ranked star/arena life/casual MMR).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom