• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just had a match where a Warlock won with Hellfire, killing both of us in the process. It registered as a loss for me, he had 3 health I had 2. Does the one with less health lose or do we both lose?

You both lose, unless it's an Arena game, which counts as a draw (you aren't credited a win or a loss for it).

Edit, from Hearthstone Wiki:
Both heroes' health reaches zero at the same time. This causes a draw, although both players will see the Defeat screen. Neither player will win or lose a star in Ranked play, and neither player will be awarded a win or loss in Arena mode. If you were on a winning streak, it will end your streak.

egruntz

shelaughz
Undertaker nerf was warranted, and this is coming from a Hunter main. This nerf is extreme, though. Seems to be junk now. Would just shaving off 1HP not have been sufficient enough? I felt like it would have made it easier to react to Undertaker without completely nullifying its place in aggro decks. Ah well. Won't complain too much. I'll just disenchant my golden Undertakers for something more relevant. Golden Sludge or save for golden Loatheb.

x2 Golden Webspinner
x2 Golden Haunted Creeper
x2 Golden Undertaker

I'm slowly working my way to crafting all golden Naxx cards. I decided they would be the only golden cards I spend my dust on, since they are the only golden cards that are unobtainable otherwise.

Undertaker nerf was warranted, and this is coming from a Hunter main. This nerf is extreme, though. Seems to be junk now. Would just shaving off 1HP not have been sufficient enough? I felt like it would have made it easier to react to Undertaker without completely nullifying its place in aggro decks. Ah well. Won't complain too much. I'll just disenchant my golden Undertakers for something more relevant. Golden Sludge or save for golden Loatheb.

x2 Golden Webspinner
x2 Golden Haunted Creeper
x2 Golden Undertaker

I'm slowly working my way to crafting all golden Naxx cards. I decided they would be the only golden cards I spend my dust on, since they are the only golden cards that are unobtainable otherwise.

In deathrattle aggro decks, it'll probably still be the best 1 drop. Because even a 2/2 or 3/2 for 1 mana is strong. It just isn't brokenly strong and unremoveable without overdevoting resources and there are legitimate counters (clockwork gnome and zombie chow) rather than just cards that... barely but just about break even with it.

G.ZZZ

Zombie Chow is now the best 1-drop in the game as it trade with every single other 1 drop,and sometimes survives + trade with lots of 2 drops too (Juggler etc...). I think control will have too easy and go megagreedy as shit, but w/e

Zombie Chow is now the best 1-drop in the game as it trade with every single other 1 drop,and sometimes survives + trade with lots of 2 drops too (Juggler etc...). I think control will have too easy and go megagreedy as shit, but w/e

coin+mechwarper will be strong

which means control warrior will still be a beast on ladder because of fiery war axe.

gutshot

In deathrattle aggro decks, it'll probably still be the best 1 drop. Because even a 2/2 or 3/2 for 1 mana is strong. It just isn't brokenly strong and unremoveable without overdevoting resources and there are legitimate counters (clockwork gnome and zombie chow) rather than just cards that... barely but just about break even with it.

Prediction: No one will run it once this nerf hits. It's basically Lightwarden now and no one runs that (Light of the Naaru notwithstanding).

Prediction: No one will run it once this nerf hits. It's basically Lightwarden now and no one runs that (Light of the Naaru notwithstanding).

Thats an interesting way to look at it, but healing most of the time is a 2 mana hero power compared to whatever synergistic death rattles you have in your deck, some of which are 1 drops.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Undertaker is still going to be premium removal bait. Only, removal will actually work consistently against it now instead of having to pray he doesn't get buffed out of removal range.

Magnus

There appears to be a Lunar New Year event coming: http://www.hearthpwn.com/news/765-hearthstone-patch-7628-lunar-new-year-undertaker

It refers to the number of powerful, high cost cards they have.

Basically the less powerful aggro is, the less low cost cards they need in order to fight aggro early in the match.

So, a greedy Control deck is one that….has it all? Low and high cost cards to counter all situations? Or just high cost cards that have no low cost aggro counters?

Haly

A "greedy" control deck is one that can safely ignore early game control cards for more late game options. The worse aggro is, the less control decks will need to run early removal like Shadow Word: Pain, Holy Smite, Lightning Bolt, Fiery War Axe, Mortal Coil, Darkbomb, Wrath, Holy Nova, Hellfire, Consecrate, etc.

The only case when this doesn't hold is when the early game removal doubles as a late game win con (Frostbolt + Ice Lance + Antonidas, for example).

gutshot

Thats an interesting way to look at it, but healing most of the time is a 2 mana hero power compared to whatever synergistic death rattles you have in your deck, some of which are 1 drops.

That's true. But Hunter ran a bunch of low-cost deathrattle cards not because they had great deathrattles but because they buffed Undertaker. Stuff like Leper Gnome, Haunted Creeper and even Webspinner aren't necessarily amazing cards but the tempo gained by playing them with UT on the board was too good to resist.

Mad Scientist, OTOH, is amazing on its own and will likely be the only card that remains relevant in the meta after this nerf.

Haly

Leper Gnome, Haunted Spider and Webspinner are all good cards for Hunter, Undertaker or no.

Leper Gnome is either 4 damage, or 2 damage and eating removal. Since their entire gameplan revolves around getting you from 30-kill range as fast as possible, Leper Gnome is a perfect fit.

Haunted Spider is 3/4 stats for 2 that's also a Beast half the time.

Webspinner filled a gap in their early game plan that used to go to worse 1 drops like Argent Squire, is also a Beast, cycles itself, and gives you a chance for total blowouts.

What made UT really nuts in Hunter was that it perfectly synergized with cards they already wanted to play.

embalm

Not at all. There is a big gap between Heals vs Playing more minions. Playing more minions is way easier and better for aggro builds.

Undertaker is now a better Murloc Tidecaller. Which is one of the best murloc cards in the game, one of three cards that actually gives murloc decks some juice.

@Haly
Totally agree.

Undertaker still fulfills the goal those decks try to accomplish, more damage as soon as possible. It still requires removal quickly or it will deal obscene damage. It is still cheap enough to combo with other cards. It will be around for awhile.

I will probably take it out of my Rattle & Roll priest deck. Losing the body to use your hero power on hurts it's usage as a board presence. I'm ok with that.

gutshot

Leper Gnome, Haunted Spider and Webspinner are all good cards for Hunter, Undertaker or no.

Leper Gnome is either 4 damage, or 2 damage and eating removal. Since their entire gameplan revolves around getting you from 30-kill range as fast as possible, Leper Gnome is a perfect fit.

Haunted Spider is 3/4 stats for 2 that's also a Beast half the time.

Webspinner filled a gap in their early game plan that used to go to worse 1 drops like Argent Squire, is also a Beast, cycles itself, and gives you a chance for total blowouts.

What made UT really nuts in Hunter was that it perfectly synergized with cards they already wanted to play.

I disagree. Leper Gnome was already phased out for Clockwork Gnome in many Hunter decks post-GvG. Haunted Creeper doesn't threaten face or the board enough by itself and the Hunter doesn't run reliable ways to buff the tokens unlike Druid or Zoo. Webspinner may still be run in a beast-focused mid-range hunter build, I'll give you that. Although I've tried a build like that before and it is missing some good mid-game beasts, so not sure it will be dominating the ladder any time soon.

Not at all. There is a big gap between Heals vs Playing more minions. Playing more minions is way easier and better for aggro builds.

Undertaker is now a better Murloc Tidecaller. Which is one of the best murloc cards in the game, one of three cards that actually gives murloc decks some juice.

You are right, that is a better comparison. Of course, even the best murloc card in the game is still a shitty card. :p

Why does no one run lightwarden, oh because if you run aggro priest, you run undertaker :p

Maybe not now? Will aggro priest be a thing? Probably not. Anyway, my point is that why run lightwarden when you have undertaker. Also I actually did recently see lightwarden in an aggro priest deck.

LaneDS

Bomber story:

I played Madder Bomber who had six targets he could assign his six damage to. Both players and three enemy minions and one of my own, a fully shielded Silvermoon Knight (3/3 with divine shield). Six targets, six randomly assigned points of damage, and he fucking kills my knight (and hits me in the face once for good measure).

Moral of the story:

I am never picking a bomber again.

ViviOggi

Bomber story:

I played Madder Bomber who had six targets he could assign his six damage to. Both players and three enemy minions and one of my own, a fully shielded Silvermoon Knight (3/3 with divine shield). Six targets, six randomly assigned points of damage, and he fucking kills my knight (and hits me in the face once for good measure).

Moral of the story:

I am never picking a bomber again.
Yup I always pick way lower value rares over Madder Bomber, fuck that noise

The problem is you can't always avoid his shitty brother when it's a 3/2 vs Wisp and Magma Rager

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
the super aggressive build of mech mage plays cogmaster. undertaker isn't so different from that.

True, though I feel cogmaster's jump to 3 gives him solid burst and response to any 2 drop. Doesn't matter if it's a 3/2 or a 2/3, a turn one cogmaster atleast puts in the threat of what you drop after if they end up having mechwarper, annoy-o-tron, etc. as a followup. Undertaker in this iteration still builds up, so a 2/3 will shut him down pretty hard.

It's a more extreme nerf than I was expecting for undertaker, but I feel like it's absolutely necessary to avoid power creep at low mana counts. Hunter will still be fine, though.

ViviOggi

Behold, the worst 12 win rewards fucking ever

hearthstone_screenshouromq.png

And no you can't get non-golden commons at 12 anymore, this is basically as bad as it gets

Every match tonight... 1 or 2 undertaker openings... reminds me of why I have been playing less lately.

So I said this yesterday (early this morning my time). 10 hours later UT is announced to be nerfed. What timing.

You could have received two packs instead of the golden common + pack and opened them up for 40 dust each.

Yeah, gold commons aren't so bad since they are 50 dust.

Jesus Christ, lost to a Shaman within lethal range in Arena because he pulled taunt totem 3 times with a Vitality totem in a row and slowly built up a strong board.
RNG suxxx

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Mage really does not love Troggzor! Its so damn funny to watch them when it drops and they cant play their precious skillstrike.

It'll be interesting to see if he pops up in the meta post-undertaker nerf. He's a serious pain in the ass for control decks that rely on spells for removal.

Slashlen

Took my Hunter deck out one last time pre-nerf for a 60g daily.

5-0, Undertaker never got over 2 atk. Thank you double skill command.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

They're still not in the same ballpark. Lightwarden is bad because it uses a control action (healing) to improve an aggressive card. If you play Lightwarden on Turn 1, and then heal on Turn 2, then you're working with two fundamentally different philosophies. Your deck doesn't have a strong gameplan. You can't split between control and aggro in the same deck, it doesn't work.

The new undertaker doesn't have this problem. It's still an aggressive card that is improved by other aggressive plays.(playing other cards).

It'll be interesting to see if he pops up in the meta post-undertaker nerf. He's a serious pain in the ass for control decks that rely on spells for removal.
There was a Total Biscuit video where he was playing the anti-Mage Mage deck. Said the best part was getting Troggzor up with a Counter Spell, and to a lesser extent Spell Bender, and people would cast a spell, have it countered, then face a board with a 6/6 and a 3/5 on the board. Sounds great in theory but it'd be hard to do consistently.

Haly

Extra pack was obviously going to give him 2 legendaries, do you even RNG?

I think I want to try slow aggro rogue I've played in the past when aggro wasn't so prevalent. Slow tempo is probably a more fitting archetype name.

But now I have more fatties to put into the deck and sword oil.

That's right. Kidnapper, double sap, king mukla, cold light oracle.

I call it slow aggro because it doesn't open up til turn 3 or later but it opens up pretty big. I'll probably end up cutting some cards for new gvg cards (maybe anubar ambusher for shredder, although ambusher is so good on turn 4 and trades with sludge belchers clean) and this recreation is largely off recall from around naxx before hunter's became powerhouses. Instead of cold blood I have sword oils, not sure which will be better. I could cut 2x deadly poisons for 2x cold blood as well.

I just love when this deck works and one of its fun points is sapping or kidnapping a minion to death. And people never expect a third sap that leaves a high attack minion like a 6/3.

I also used to run argent commanders, despite sludge belcher but right now south sea deckhand will be the charge minion to get buffed.

Okay i just had a match against Priest as Paladin i first play coin knife juggler, he kills it with Word of Pain. Next turn i play Trollwalker Cho he plays Lightwell+Power word Shield. Next turn i just use hero power, he does Divine Spirit+Inner Fire he kills my Cho, i use Aldor Peace Keeper on his 14/14 Lightwell. From that point on i was just toying with him even made a 3/10 Sludge Belcher.

Trollwalker Cho is just hilarious to play in a minimal magic card deck.

Dahbomb

Jesus christ finally an Undertaker nerf. No more having to waste important cards on that piece of shit 1 mana card.

Dr Doom is next.

Dahbomb

Saved up 1000 gold from Arena wins across one and a half week... spent it on 10 classic packs (because I want some classic Legendaries like Jaraxxus) and didn't get shit.

Guess I will have to try to craft it myself.

I think on average you get 1 legendary per 18 packs or something? you can get lucky, obviously. but you shouldn't expect much more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom