• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith

remember me
NEW1_008_premium.gif

Lyng

No it's not.

Well it's not the weakest deck for sure, but to say it's "strong" is pretty optimistic. I don't think I lost a single match to a druid when I did the climb from rank 5 to legend.

Problem is alot of druids wait for shade etc to grow to high. The token druid with shade and oozes, can easily stop hunters from their early game.
The standard token druid is shitty vs hunter. The new one with oozes etc is build to destroy hunters. And it works for me. Havent lost a single match to hunters.

Zemm

The best thing about a new season is watching the likes of Forsen, Sjow etc etc getting wrecked over and over by randoms. Makes me think the game is pretty old so as long as everyone has around the same level of cards then there's very very little in the actual skill part that separates people which tbf, is what I've thought for ages. They'll eventually get legendary just from playing all day, but what really separates the wheat from the chaff are the deck builders, which is where the likes of Kolento tower above everyone else.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

*creaking sound*

THUD!

*swip*

*swip*

"No! No! Anything but that! Aaaahhh!"

The man awakes from his sleep, screaming. He is sitting up in his bed, sweat dripping down his forehead. He breathes heavily, his head darts around the room. He is safe. The Ancient of Lore cannot hurt him. The man breathes a sigh of relief.

"It was only a nightmare. Keep it together, Zoukka."

Just because he ran Rag out onto a field of 1/1's doesn't mean he's an idiot. He probably had a hand full of "answer" cards and Rag was the only play that made sense.

No perhaps not an idiot. But it means he has no idea how to play the deck or the match up. I hadn't used a single equality or aldor peacekeeper or humility yet. He had 50 some hp, ragnaros and grom in his hand. He had a better chance to keep stalling to get deathbiter, brawl, baron geddon, or whirlwind, but instead he ensured he couldn't win by wasting all of his cards that have the ability to kill me.

So you're saying rag on a field of 5 1/1s vs paladin was smarter than armor up pass? Assuming he had answer cards that is precisely what he should have done. Instead he walked into a big loss. If he stalled and used his deathbiter to control the board, he would have gotten damage out of his ragnaros at the very least.

I'm not sure if I despise or respect a priest who plays out til their last card against overwhelming odds, then it turns out he never stood a chance to win which I expected from the start of the fatigue war.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They wouldn't be playing Priest if they weren't hellbent on forcing both players into fatigue every game.

Zemm

They wouldn't be playing Priest if they weren't hellbent on forcing both players into fatigue every game.

Well said. 15-20 minute games are a highlight of playing priest and if you can string out a game you know you have zero chance of winning a further 10 minutes then that's as good as a win in my book.

Aylinato

I played a priest and successfully fatigued them to death.

I love my mill Druid, not too great against hunter or zoo, but if I faced anyone else I win, including the shaman Rez deck

Oscar

69 more ranked wins for my Golden Warrior.

Gonna try to bang those out with a mid range deck early in the ladder.

Well said. 15-20 minute games are a highlight of playing priest and if you can string out a game you know you have zero chance of winning a further 10 minutes then that's as good as a win in my book.

Well you say that not knowing the facts of the situation. I was sitting at 30 hp, full board control, and he was top decking, already used both novas, both thoughtsteals, both wild pyros, both circle of healings, ragnaros, ysera, and I am spawning 1/1s every turn sitting with tirion/equality/heals in my hand and it turns out he had no mind control anyway.

I think there is some merit to understanding when you've lost and moving on.

edit:
(I do agree in general that priest should expect fatigue wars, and I respect that. But kinda despise it a bit when they know they lost and drag it out).

aborath

Neo Member
Yeah, I don't have any of the wings and don't stand a chance this time around in the ladder. Already getting creamed at rank 17.

I've been losing like crazy in ranked. Played my murloc deck for about an hour today, and won all of one game; it was pretty dispiriting. The Naxx stuff is good, but I think it's more that people have gotten better at the game, know the matchups, and have a healthy stable of good legendaries. Also, most people probably just copy+paste legendary decks from Hearthpwn, which defeaths the point of playing CCGs, IMHO. I'm just coming back to HS after a multi-month break, so I'm feeling the pain.

Acinixys said:
Just played a Warrior with 12 legendaries in his deck. I know cause he played all of them

Lel, I know that feel, bro.

ZealousD

I've been losing like crazy in ranked. Played my murloc deck for about an hour today, and won all of one game; it was pretty dispiriting.

That's because murlock is probably the most inconsistent aggro deck in the game.

I mean it's pretty amazing when you can do Tidecaller->Tidehunter->Warleader but otherwise it's really hard to get a solid win with the deck.

Minsc

Gold Member
The ranks did just restart too... I have basically all the cards in the game except for a dozen legends, and it put me at rank 20... so I had some fun today. That said, I think I only won a single game with my Shaman decks, and am like 10/10 with Priest, go figure.

Special C

I don't know If I'm lucky to get a bunch of Legendaries or Unlucky to not get many Epics. I have (not counting Naxx) 8 legendaries and only 13 Epics, (1 crafted Legendary and 2 crafted Epics) I almost always have the 2 or 3 legendaries I need for a deck but rarerly the epics.

For perspective I've played since the second week of open beta. Playing just about enough of the game to not miss any daily quests but not much beyond that.

ZealousD

I don't know If I'm lucky to get a bunch of Legendaries or Unlucky to not get many Epics. I have (not counting Naxx) 8 legendaries and only 13 Epics, (1 crafted Legendary and 2 crafted Epics) I almost always have the 2 or 3 legendaries I need for a deck but rarerly the epics.

Are you sure you just haven't dusted some of the bad epics? I would just dust something like Bestial Wrath, Shadowform, or Kidnapper. Too much potential dust to let it sit on a card I'm never going to use.

Special C

Are you sure you just haven't dusted some of the bad epics? I would just dust something like Bestial Wrath, Shadowform, or Kidnapper. Too much potential dust to let it sit on a card I'm never going to use.

100% Sure, I havent dusted anything but Duplicates.

For perspective I've played since the second week of open beta. Playing just about enough of the game to not miss any daily quests but not much beyond that.

i have 1 leg. and opened 120+ card packs...

ZZMitch

Man control Priest with Auchenais, Zombie Chow, Thoughsteals, Wild Pyros etc. is reallllly fun. Thoughtstole Kel'Thuzad in my last game :p

Mixed2k

Sometimes the RNG in this game can be pretty fun.
I had nothing but 2 unleash the hounds in my hand and a Webspinner on board versus 3 minions of my mage opponent. Guess which beast i got by suiciding the Webspinner ?

Totally won that game huntard style.

Don't hate me gaf, I don't have the legendaries for something like control paladin, priest or warrior, and zoo is even more braindead than hunter.

I got the buzzard by the way

aborath

Neo Member
Sometimes the RNG in this game can be pretty fun.
I had nothing but 2 unleash the hounds in my hand and a Webspinner on board versus 3 minions of my mage opponent. Guess which beast i got by suiciding the Webspinner ?

Totally won that game huntard style.

Don't hate me gaf, I don't have the legendaries for something like control paladin, priest or warrior, and zoo is even more braindead than hunter.

I got the buzzard by the way

So I wonder--I've played several games against hunters over the last few days, and almost every game ended up in me being destroyed. Complaints about hunters has been a consistent thread throughout the life of HS; even with the UTH nerf (what did they even change?), they're still one of the most discussed (reviled?) classes. Are hunters just fundamentally broken? Are their synergies too strong? Would a few changes bring them back down to Earth, or does the entire class need a redesign (like the WoW hunter, just in reverse)? Don't know if I've ever seen a deck type be so dominant for so long.

Acinixys

So I wonder--I've played several games against hunters over the last few days, and almost every game ended up in me being destroyed. Complaints about hunters has been a consistent thread throughout the life of HS; even with the UTH nerf (what did they even change?), they're still one of the most discussed (reviled?) classes. Are hunters just fundamentally broken? Are their synergies too strong? Would a few changes bring them back down to Earth, or does the entire class need a redesign (like the WoW hunter, just in reverse)? Don't know if I've ever seen a deck type be so dominant for so long.

Their synergy is to strong

All hnter specific cards need a relooking at imo

Hunters Mark and UTH should have a MUCH higher mana cost

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
When UTH had a "MUCH higher" mana cost... they were irrelevant.

Hunters have been pretty polarizing so far.

UTH 1.0: Annoying class with an OTK but bad at competitive levels
UTH 2.0 (4 mana), Buzzard -1 HP: Lost their ace in the hole so they became totally useless
UTH 2.1 (2 mana): Finally became a competitive deck, and it was dominating
UTH 2.2 (3 mana): Balanced. Viable, but not overwhelming
Post-Naxx: Dominating again thanks to Mad Scientist, Creeper, Webspinner and the decline of Rogue, which had a favorable matchup against Hunter and was also dominant in the months prior to Naxx

aborath

Neo Member
When UTH had a "MUCH higher" mana cost... they were irrelevant.

Hunters have been pretty polarizing so far.

UTH 1.0: Annoying class with an OTK but bad at competitive levels
UTH 2.0 (4 mana): Lost their ace in the hole so they became totally useless
UTH 2.1 (2 mana): Finally became a competitive deck, and it was a doozy
UTH 2.2 (3 mana): Semi-balanced, strong, but not too strong
Post-Naxx: Became dominating again thanks to Mad Scientist, Creeper, Webspinner and the decline of Rogue, which had a favorable matchup against Hunter and was also dominant in the months prior to Naxx

Ah, I wasn't really familiar with the history of the meta. I guess it might not be as bad as all that.

ZealousD

All hnter specific cards need a relooking at imo

As much as cards like Savannah Highmane and Hunter's Mark are in the spotlight right now, Hunter was not at the top of the meta pre-Naxx. Mad Scientist, Webspinner, and Haunted Creeper are ultimately what pushed them over. And of those, I think it's Mad Scientist that's so strong to the point of being overpowered. It's also fueling some really annoying Mage Secret decks.

Ultrabum

As much as cards like Savannah Highmane and Hunter's Mark are in the spotlight right now, Hunter was not at the top of the meta pre-Naxx. Mad Scientist, Webspinner, and Haunted Creeper are ultimately what pushed them over. And of those, I think it's Mad Scientist that's so strong to the point of being overpowered. It's also fueling some really annoying Mage Secret decks.

Don't worry, you can counter mad scientist with flare.

Oh wait.

Unless I am mistaken, I think I just learned that kelthuzad will priority revive the minion who died first. This could be crucial when using or even facing down kelthuzad because my tirion didn't revive because I played a new minion and the board was full and he was the third to die on my turn. Conversely, if you fill their board you can permanently kill off a minion.

I still won but that could have been a mistake that lead to a loss. Then again, I did have kelthuzad survive like 3-4 rounds and during that time removed two sea giants (vs shaman control deck).

Funny thing is, he didn't get either of his hexes. And I was definitely playing around them, but I saw an opportunity to get some big kelthuzad value.

I had 4 tokens on board, one acolyte that was silenced so he probably thought, hey it is a 1/1 silenced minion, not worth killing off. I used equality, cleared his board except for a haunted creeper, and got all the minions back from kelthuzad. Then when he didn't hex KT, I played tirion.

Everything will be fine if people just start running Secret Keeper and Bloodsail Corsair.

Harrison jones is a pretty strong card vs trap hunter. I don't have it yet unfortunately so I do feel like I am a bit disadvantaged with certain decks that I would like to run it in, like paladin. At least not all hunters are running eaglehorn bow, and sometimes they don't draw it.

I am also pretty sure secret keeper doesn't benefit from mad scientist since the cards aren't being played from hand. That is what I have read at least on the forums. Bloodsail corsair is not really a good choice mainly because it only gets rid of one charge and just is a liability towards UTH. I don't think a 1/2 is really worth playing just to take away one durability, but I could be wrong. I tried it in a rogue deck before in the last big hunter meta and I wasn't liking it. I also put it in to remove gorehowl but wasn't feeling it happen enough. Ooze is a better choice over corsair. I know you aren't being serious with the suggestion, but thought I'd respond anyway.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
This game is like crack, if my internet wasn't so shitty right now i would buy a bunch of card packs with real money. Also i'm wondering if i can change my client to english and not break everything, using the spanish translation seem off somehow....

This game is like crack, if my internet wasn't so shitty right now i would buy a bunch of card packs with real money. Also i'm wondering if i can change my client to english and not break everything, using the spanish translation seem off somehow....

There is a way pretty easily. I think it is an ini file or something. You can probably just google it.

Maybe freezing trap shouldn't have that cost penalty for the bounced creature, it seems way too good. Theoretically it's not as good as sap because it's not a targeted spell, so it needs something else, but having cheap charge creatures or cheap minions controlling the board isn't something that happens a lot versus hunters. Plus unlike explosive trap it triggers when attacking your minions or your character.

Haunted

I feel like I got worse at drafting since Naxx. I'm not super unhappy about my play, I just seem to end up with shit decks and it's my fault. I hear good arena players formulate solid plans and strategies with the deck they have and I can't identify anything like that with my mess.

It's scary to say, but maybe I need to invest more thought into my arena runs. Kinda antithetical to my needs when I'm playing hearthstone these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom