• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, I felt the need to rant a bit. I guess I'm just worked up about Krush because I personally love the card and want to play it much more than I'm allowing myself. I also tried to elaborate on the points I made earlier. Anyone disagree with my points who'd like to argue with me for a bit? (I don't mean that in a bad way. I like arguing.)

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I agree about King Krush and the thing I've wanted to see since forever is for him to be given trample (if he kills a minion, all of the 'wasted' damage is assigned to the player). This allows him to krush low hp opponents even through taunt. Puny taunts like unstable ghoul can't stop him from biting your opponent's head off.

I agree about King Krush and the thing I've wanted to see since forever is for him to be given trample (if he kills a minion, all of the 'wasted' damage is assigned to the player). This allows him to krush low hp opponents even through taunt. Puny taunts like unstable ghoul can't stop him from biting your opponent's head off.

I'm not sure trample would be balanced on attack as high as that because you get to direct what you attack unlike in MTG.

I'm not sure trample would be balanced on attack as high as that because you get to direct what you attack unlike in MTG.

That's a really good point. I'm not entirely sure what'd be best for King Krush. Someone on the Hearthstone forums suggested that he be immune while attacking. At first I instantly thought, "No, that'd be ridiculously broken." But after I let it sit for a while, I think something like that could work if other alterations came with it. Like changing his stats to 8/4 maybe. Even then, though, he still kind of goes against the nature of Hunter's other cards, which all have apparent synergy with each other. I personally want Krush to do something of a similar nature. Maybe give him a battlecry that affects your beasts already on the board in a significant way.

I'm not even sure why we're talking about buffing hunters, the top class in the game atm anyway lol...

I don't think Hunter needs a buff at all. I just think that Krush is completely irrelevant to the game as a whole. Not asking for him to be made broken, just relevant.
EDIT: Also, I'd disagree that Hunters are the best class. I think his Mad Scientist builds specifically are extremely powerful, but that's due more to the Scientist than Hunter. Scientist needs some sort of nerf.

I don't think Hunter needs a buff at all. I just think that Krush is completely irrelevant to the game as a whole. Not asking for him to be made broken, just relevant.
EDIT: Also, I'd disagree that Hunters are the best class. I think his Mad Scientist builds specifically are extremely powerful, but that's due more to the Scientist than Hunter. Scientist needs some sort of nerf.

He isn't irrelevant. 8/8 charge out of a single card is really high value. He just isn't run because of hunters not being able to fit him well into quick tempo/midrange decks. He could find his way into a slow aggro or slow tempo/midrange deck.

I think it is wrong to say a card is irrelevant just because it isn't being ran in popular constructed decks.

And sure hunters are the top class right now. They don't even need to run scientist, I haven't seen one in days. That was a bit of a fad in hunter decks imo. There are too many deathrattles for eaglehorn bow to get a ton of value. There are a couple of very powerful hunter decks atm, and sure scientist/traps is one of them. But just one of them that loses in the mirror match making it less used.

I think it is wrong to say a card is irrelevant just because it isn't being ran in popular constructed decks.

I'm arguing he's not ran in popular constructed decks, and hasn't for a long while, because he is irrelevant. I elaborated a bit more in my quoted post earlier, but any role Krush has can be performed better and cheaper by even neutral cards (Leeroy for aggro and Ragnaros for control). To me it's kind of like this comparison, although of course not as strict:

129.jpg
218.jpg

There are too many deathrattles for eaglehorn bow to get a ton of value. There are a couple of very powerful hunter decks atm, and sure scientist/traps is one of them. But just one of them that loses in the mirror match making it less used.

I don't really understand the bold. How does deathrattle relate to eaglehorn?

I'm arguing he's not ran in popular constructed decks, and hasn't for a long while, because he is irrelevant. I elaborated a bit more in my quoted post earlier, but any role Krush has can be performed better and cheaper by even neutral cards (Leeroy for aggro and Ragnaros for control). To me it's kind of like this comparison, although of course not as strict:

I don't really understand the bold. How does deathrattle relate to eaglehorn?

Half the reason to use a weapon is to get high value out of it. If you can't remove more than 1 card with it, the value is very poor especially since you are taking damage.

It would still be useful for hitting face hence a strong face hunter card.

ViviOggi

Half the reason to use a weapon is to get high value out of it. If you can't remove more than 1 card with it, the value is very poor especially since you are taking damage.

It would still be useful for hitting face hence a strong face hunter card.
You don't need to play face Hunter to hit face with the Bow as long as you don't absolutely need it for trading. Any Hunter variant wants to close a game out before running out of gas and 3 damage per trap helps with that tremendously.

Acinixys

For some unknown reason I just played the same asshole Murlock using Warlock twice in a row in ranked

1st time he gets the perfect draw and wins on turn 5 with 2 power overwhelmings

2nd time I manage to control the early game with my removal, and then BM the shit out of him with a full board + Bloodlust

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
RNGesus just graced the VGVN stream.

Haibara Hand: Faceless, Brawl, Grom, Sludge
Haibara Board: Ragnaros
Hyped Board: Slime, Slime, Doomsayer, Cairne

Haibara plays Faceless on Rag and then a Slude Belcher.
At the end of turn, one Ragnaros hits one of the Slimes, and the other hits the Doomsayer.

It was glorious.

Cipherr

RNGesus just graced the VGVN stream.

Haibara Hand: Faceless, Brawl, Grom, Sludge
Haibara Board: Ragnaros
Hyped Board: Slime, Slime, Doomsayer, Cairne

Haibara plays Faceless on Rag and then a Slude Belcher.
At the end of turn, one Ragnaros hits one of the Slimes, and the other hits the Doomsayer.

It was glorious.

Most gutsy play i have ever seen. They need to put that on youtube

gutshot

For King Krush, what about an "empowering roar" effect?

Battlecry: Your other friendly minions gain +2 attack this turn.

If that is too powerful, it could be adjusted to just +1 attack or maybe it only affects beasts.

Kettch

I'm still having fair success with Shaman against Hunter, made it back to legendary with it despite facing about half hunters toward the end. Hunters really aren't very card efficient, so you can survive 3, 4 card draw unleashes just fine. The important thing is to have as many decent health creatures on the board as you can so that the unleash doesn't take board control through hunter marks or other things.

Sludge belcher, argus and spirit wolves are obviously key cards. Argus up even a totem or an egg and it's a pain in the ass for the hunter to break through. Always attack with your argus against traps so you can get some more free taunts.

Most of my losses end up being incredibly close, where they draw their whole deck and get that exact double kill command lethal through my taunts. So if you really want to counter hunters, I'd suggest dropping harvest golems for farseers. Just a little bit of healing can go a long way.

Haly

I never really had a problem with Heroic design until... Sapphiron and Kel'thuzad.

Frankly, I don't find dice rolling very fun and that's all these two fights were. Dice rolling. When a deck's given win rate against these encounters is something like 10-15% at best, it's just a waste of time.

Spoo

I never really had a problem with Heroic design until... Sapphiron and Kel'thuzad.

Frankly, I don't find dice rolling very fun and that's all these two fights were. Dice rolling. When a deck's given win rate against these encounters is something like 10-15% at best, it's just a waste of time.

Agreed (with one exception: Gluth is also trolly as fuck, perhaps moreso than both Sapphiron and Kel). Though, for what it's worth, I found that most of the pain I suffered from fighting Kel came from just not understanding how to play the deck I was using to maximize the chance I would have to kill him. Still lots of luck, but when I finally figured it out I realized it was more, like, I could have a 50-60% chance rather than the 3% chance I was giving myself.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Eh, I didn't find Kel'thuzad all that bad with Control Paladin.

Sapphiron was pretty bullshit, though. Being able to completely wipe your board every turn is just.... insane.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Would you guys say that one of these cards is strictly better than the other? I really can't find a proper moment to play King Krush in my Hunter decks! I wish it would cost 1 mana less.
EDIT: Wait why does Krush say "Pet" on it and not "Beast"? Lmao WTF.

Krush is an amazing card. He's just not an amazing hunter card. If he was a neutral legendary, I'm sure you'd see him in a lot of decks, but hunters really have no room for him and he doesn't synergize well with anything they do outside of being a finisher (but who needs that, hunters already have board control and have you at 5 hp by turn 7-8).

Either way I don't see them buffing legendaries anytime soon. Think they want to mainly treat hearthstone like a physical card game, and only nerf in extreme cases. Have they even ever buffed any cards since beta ended? As much as I'd like them to buff Illidan (he fucking deserves to be a 5/7, 6/6, or hell. even a 4/7, still can't believe he's a 7/5 that gets removed by literally everything--he should just be an improved late game violet teacher), it's probably not going to happen.

Krush is an amazing card. He's just not an amazing hunter card. If he was a neutral legendary, I'm sure you'd see him in a lot of decks, but hunters really have no room for him and he doesn't synergize well with anything they do outside of being a finisher (but who needs that, hunters already have board control and have you at 5 hp by turn 7-8).

Either way I don't see them buffing legendaries anytime soon. Think they want to mainly treat hearthstone like a physical card game, and only nerf in extreme cases. Have they even ever buffed any cards since beta ended? As much as I'd like them to buff Illidan (he fucking deserves to be a 5/7, 6/6, or hell. even a 4/7, still can't believe he's a 7/5 that gets removed by literally everything--he should just be an improved late game violet teacher), it's probably not going to happen.

I actually said near that exact same thing in my earlier post. I think he's a great card if you take him for face value. The problem is that he hardly lives up to what a class legendary should be, particularly a Hunter class legendary.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

ShinNL

So has anyone noticed the cards you never draw over 50% of the deck drawn, will always show up in your opening hand the next game to troll you?

Yep. All. The. Time.

zoukka

With that hunter deck I seldom mulliganed a card. So goddamn reliable. Also I forgot to mention I played 2 freezing traps and a snake trap. I don't understand why people play 1 explosive, it's completely useless in the meta and just a bad card with scientist most of the time.

Minsc

Gold Member
What awful RNG... broke my 6-0 arena run.

Went 2nd, against a Mage, and had 2 flamestrikes in my deck. Had one in my starting hand, but decided to mulligan it because all my cards were 4+ mana, and I felt I needed a couple 2-3 mana cards to not sit there the first three turns and end up with under 20 health before I play a single minion (and chances aren't bad one of the 4 mulligan cards would be a flamestrike back, or if I kept it, I could end up with both).

Of course, the 2 flamestrikes don't draw until literally the last 5 cards in the deck, would have won if I had drawn one of them in the first half of the deck and didn't have to use them on single creatures when we were topdecking and trade horribly with minions before then (also had the pleasure of having my only Arcane Intellect in the last 5 cards too). Guess the rule is no matter how awful your hand is, never mulligan a Flamestrike, even if you have a ton in your deck.

I actually don't play as Mage much in arena, so I had to learn that one the hard way. I guess even 3 flamestrikes in your hand before turn 7 could maybe be a good thing, they'd never count on the third and fourth after all.

ShinNL

Hahahaha, die Warlock, die! xD

Poweroverwhelming on an Egg with Void Terror, 4/4, 8/10 and 2x 1/1 on turn 4.

I respond with topdeck Humility + Aldor.

Then he follows up with Doomguard to my face.

I respond with Mountain Giant, coin, another topdeck Humility.

Then it's the usual ignore my giant to my face spammage, in which I responded with Blessing of Kings 12/12 to your face!

Then he was forced to trade every single minion he had or I would've had lethal with just 2 hits xD, the rest was history (more giants).

Xanathus

I can start playing Arena again too! I wonder whether the winrates of classes have changed at all with Naxx?

Priest has improved somewhat because Dark Cultist is a common. Mage has improved even more because Duplicate is OP in arena. Warlock has also improved because if you can manage to make a Demon deck with Doomcaller it's really strong.

My strategy to beat hunter:

Play spectral knight
Taunt with argus
Don't attack with spectral knight if possibility of freezing trap
Be prepared to deal with at least one highmane
Hunters don't run heals
They only run 2 taunt givers, and a chance at taunt from animal companion
So I race them down and then drop loatheb or taunts to survive a single round or two to put myself far enough ahead to just win due to no heals on their side, and few taunts (prepare to deal with at least one taunt).

You can race them down, or
build a taunt wall they can't break, or
if control, outlast them.

I'm thinking about making a deck built around ancient watcher/nerubian egg/spectral knight + sunfury protector/defender of argus. Maybe druid or warlock. But then again, why not paladin or priest. hmm. I played a priest that ran defender of argus, I totally thought he thoughtstealed it from me and I did not expect a taunted sylvanas and lost due to not drawing a second sap or way to kill a 7hp taunt.

Haly

Warlock is like asking the Hunter to ping you to death.

iirate

I'm looking at returning to the game after a long absence and was wondering if anyone had any good videos or podcasts that might help me catch up with the state of the meta. Also, I only have enough gold for a single wing of Naxx, so which should I buy first?

Xanathus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom