• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gah.. Just lost a game where I drew out my deck as a priest. Everything was going fine and I had tempo. My gurubashi destroyer was like 11/12 with a senjin for protection whil he had nothing ... He had no cards on hand then boom draws some 12/12 legendary dragon and clears the table. I have to use the heroes in my hand to take him out ... And then he just whittles me with 1/1 guys until I completely run out of cards to draw...I wish I had a legendary card

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Gah.. Just lost a game where I drew out my deck as a priest. Everything was going fine and I had tempo. My gurubashi destroyer was like 11/12 with a senjin for protection whil he had nothing ... He had no cards on hand then boom draws some 12/12 legendary dragon and clears the table. I have to use the heroes in my hand to take him out ... And then he just whittles me with 1/1 guys until I completely run out of cards to draw...I wish I had a legendary card
No shadow word death? Mind control? Big game Hunter is a mythical that would have instantly killed death wing.

Were you running mind control or shadow word death? Those would be the two hardest counters Deathwing.

Mazre

Got an ancestors call in a pack the other day and decided to try and make a deck around it.

x3f2z63.jpg

Deck is obviously super gimmicky but also a lot of fun to mess around with. Just loaded up the heavy legendaries in my collection, all the direct damage I had, and support that I could muster. Basic idea is to control early game with DD and try to sneak an early heavy out, turn 4 ysera's are fun.

Future adjustments I'd like to try:
Drop the flametongues, get a second crackle/wolves - the totems aren't terrible but can lead to some goofy plays when trying to use the bots/call
Drop stalagg/feugenn/cairne (ideally for malygos/sneads) - Not enough value if call brings them out, Malygos with all the dd in this deck would be quite nasty when it lands
Potentially drop the recombobulators (they are a lot of wacky fun though) and MAXs for more legendaries or support spells, earth shocks or something else perhaps - ended up naked dropping the recoms a lot to help with early control though did have a few freeby ironbarks out of them as well

I don't understand the MagicAmy story, why pretend to be a girl? It's not like she/he was streaming and making money off of being a girl. Hell, there are plenty of unattractive people making money for being good at a game, why pretend? All I know is whoever was doing the meta ladder tier ranking updates under the name MagicAmy over at tempostorm.com was doing a good job

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's not like she/he was streaming and making money off of being a girl. Hell, there are plenty of unattractive people making money for being good at a game, why pretend?
There's no nice way to say this.

But being competitive in e-sports as a girl instantly creates exposure. It is exceptionally marketable, and players will watch a girl's stream just to see if it's really a girl (and an attractive one at that) playing video games at a high level. It is a shortcut to being one of the top streamers for any given game, because the consumers of this industry are thirsty as fuck.

If a new player who was similar to Trump in skill and personality showed up today, do you think he'd make Trump numbers? Do you know the people streaming with 100 maybe 200 viewers? I don't. The way Twitch is laid out, being popular makes you more likely to continue being popular, and Trump got in on the ground floor. Almost everyone agrees he's inoffensive to the point of boredom, but he still maintains a huge viewerbase.

Look at some of the 1000+ viewer streams on Twitch.

GuardsmanBob: Ex-League Pro
Brian Kibler: MTG Pro
Day9: Starcraft II personality
ItsHafu: Longtime streamer/personality
Kripparian: Longtime streamer/personality

Many of these people built up their "brand" over years of effort. The average streamer is not going to get even close to that unless they're dedicated to spreading their brand through prolific streaming, community interaction and competitive results.

Or you can backdoor your way into it by being a curio. And someone figured out that one can be created artificially.

I understand that, but by all accounts (that I know of) "MagicAmy" wasn't streaming. Being a good playing yet trollish looking guy still generates more money streaming than not streaming at all

Haly

I'm pretty sure she was, I mean, that's where I heard about her first.

Someone told me there was this girl streaming HS and she was a decent player and not Hafu.

Sub money for being tied to a team (white knights buying emotes essentially). Didn't even have to stream.

People were subbing to a channel where the person never streamed? Good lord...

I'm pretty sure she was, I mean, that's where I heard about her first.

Someone told me there was this girl streaming HS and she was a decent player and not Hafu.

As strange as it sounds, her twitch channel profile even says she/he/whatever didn't stream:

I will make video content for tempostorm, I don't stream yet but I try my best to be active with the community and get a lot of content out on our team website. If you feel like you want to support me~ I will be very happy~~

Triz

I know spellbinder is a crap card. But it works so well in arena. Priest casting Velens chosen emote:thank you. Paladin casting kings emote :thank you.

Haly

I must've saw her at a tournament stream then.

VoxPop

Having the time of my life with this secret mage with norzdomu in it. Full on panic when I got 4 secrets out there including duplicate.

Same here.

My question is what the hell kind of endgame does that have when you eventually have to go to an actual in person tournament?

The Canadian dudes idea was to probably "Teach" her how to be a top level player while he also played for her. They are most likely in a relationship so that's why she goes along with this weird thing they have going on.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Got lucky and got Sylvanas in a pack! I was like "no fucking way!" So now I have, Legendary wise -- Alexstrasza, Dr. Boom, and Sylvanas. Also have all the Naxx Legendaries. What should I craft next? I usually play Druid or Hunter, but I also love Warrior.

I trust your opinions GAF, don't let me down, I'm thinking Ragnaros or Black Knight.

Strider

Got lucky and got Sylvanas in a pack! I was like "no fucking way!" So now I have, Legendary wise -- Alexstrasza, Dr. Boom, and Sylvanas. Also have all the Naxx Legendaries. What should I craft next? I usually play Druid or Hunter, but I also love Warrior.

I trust your opinions GAF, don't let me down, I'm thinking Ragnaros or Black Knight.

Well since you really like Druid Black Knight would be a good choice. Excellent card and used in a lot of Druid decks since they lack removal.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Well since you really like Druid Black Knight would be a good choice. Excellent card and used in a lot of Druid decks since they lack removal.
Sounds good. Why do people say Grommash is so essential for Warrior Decks? I know he does 12 damage on a Charge with the right cards, but wouldn't something like Ragnaros be nearly as effective with a guaranteed 8 damage? I just don't understand the significance.

Still rank 5 now, but slowly grinding out some progress. The struggle is real. Have had some big nail-biters as control Warrior in control matchups (survived a double combo Druid, Paladin game that went to fatigue), but it's not hard to not just get run over by mech Mage sometimes. Also had a fun one where my Rag won like an 8-man brawl vs. a Hunter and his Dr. Boom.

Mech Mage win rate is maybe something like 55-60% at best. I tech in Kezan Mystic instead of the lone Mechanical Yeti for the mirror and Hunter matchups, and it's okay, though there have been times I've wanted the yeti.

Tried the StrifeCro/Trump/etc. Hunter and it just wasn't working for me. Lost all 3 games I gave it a go, either from bad matchups or bad draws. It likely has an edge over mech Mage though.

Thinking about crafting Power Maces to give mech Shaman a go and surprise people - might be disruptive enough to do well.

Sounds good. Why do people say Grommash is so essential for Warrior Decks? I know he does 12 damage on a Charge with the right cards, but wouldn't something like Ragnaros be nearly as effective with a guaranteed 8 damage? I just don't understand the significance.

Well for one, Rag is random - if there's creatures on the board it's not guaranteed to hit face. So that's a huge liability vs. any aggro deck, Paladins with all their dudes, etc. Particularly since Warrior's only board clear is Brawl. If Rag misses, the opponent has a chance to respond with BGH, spamming more creatures, etc. It's a passive effect.

Grom is as much about the instant damage as it is the threat. He's a finisher. The opponent has to play around it and anticipate it like you would a Druid's Force of Nature/Savage Roar combo, Freeze Mage's burst, Oil/Miracle Rogue burst, etc. You hardly ever will use him for board presence like you will Ragnaros or Dr. Boom. The opponent may anticipate, but can't actively respond to Grom and that's the strength. He gives Warrior reach that wouldn't otherwise exist, particularly with the passive hero power.

Someone else might have a more eloquent explanation.

Dragner

Ragnaros is a good card, I run it some times, but I find it overrated. Nowadays in a world of shredders, haunted creepers and agro swarms he is an expensive removal most of the time that cant even get the pressure off the board...sure, you can drop it on empty board and win(like a lot of legendaries) or against a big minion and pray RNGsus for ragnaros to kill it or to hit face when you need it. But otherwise Ragnaros is expensive and not so efficient.

The Adder

Banned
Arena.

Druid.

2nd to final pick is between: Gazlowe, Greenskin, Nozdormu

EDIT: Nevermind, next pick was a Sneed's. Pretty solid deck, I think.

Atuin

I know spellbinder is a crap card. But it works so well in arena. Priest casting Velens chosen emote:thank you. Paladin casting kings emote :thank you.

Funny, because I think that Spellbinder is the absolutely worst arena card in the whole game. Wisps and Silverback patriarchs can screw your match only if you draw them, but Spellbinder's awfulness goes beyond that. It can prevent your mad scientist from activating an actually useful secret. I had an arena run where I used Spellbender 4 times (1-2 from scientist), nobody ever used minion-targeted spells but I definitely could have used the Mirror Image scientist would have given without Spellblender.

Edit: Okay, Eye for an Eye is even worse for the same mad scientist reasons, but Spellpender is the worst card I've ever chosen.

ViviOggi

Grom isn't strictly kept for the lethal blow, he's often the one card that lets you stabilize in certain situations. If you've seen your control opponent use multiple removals already you can simply play him as a threat when you're not drawing your others while against aggro/midrange he'll trade for 2-4 of their minions and their decks usually can't answer him at all. He synergizes with much of the CW deck and gameplan.

CRS

I went with Harrison over Black Knight and have been really content. I also play Druid and it has been pretty invaluable against the control warriors and Paladins. I've even removed a a couple of Bows so far from Hunters with that winning me the game.

Black Knight is fine but since Squelchers are the most common taunt, they can easily be taken away with a Swipe and Face. Just depends what you're running into the most. You can't go wrong with either.

Ikkarus

Nice! Slyvanas is pretty much a staple card in control decks.

I'm a big fan of Cernarius if you main Druid, he's not everyones choice but he's great at either defending or strengthing your board.

Neutral legendary wise could be Black Knight or Harrison Jones. Those 2 come and go from people's decks depending on the meta. If you're facing loads of Hunters, Warriors, Rogues and Paladins swap in Harrison and if you're coming up against loads of Druids them swap in Black Knight.

Not sure if you have Nax? If not then I would heartily recommend getting it for Loatheb alone plus the actual adventure is really enjoyable.

embalm

You've already been answered, but I here's my take on Grom. He has 3 different roles, all of which he is incredibly good at.

1. Reach. Grom piles on a lot of damage and can wrap up games much sooner than normally. That 4, 10, or 12 burst damage is key to winning a lot of games.
  2. Stabilization. If the opponent has had answers to your other cards, Grom attacking the board could help you stabilize. 4 damage on a charge and enough HP to survive multiple attacks and on top of that a 10 damage minion cannot be ignored unless the opponent already has lethal.
  3. Removal. Similar to stabilization, but sometimes you need something gone to survive and Grom can do that too. Using him for removal can clear the way for better weapon hits too.
On top of that, the entire Control Warrior deck is centered around dealing 1 damage to everything and gaining massive benefit from it. Grom, Armorsmiths, Acolyte of Pain, Whirlwind, Deathsbite, execute, and task master all play a part in pulling those combos together. Grom synergizes so well with this strategy that it's crazy not to include him and the entire deck hurts without him.

Special C

So I don't frequent the hearthstone reddit, but there is an accusation from a former teammate of magicamy's, who was on magicamy's team before tempostorm, claiming that she is just not exactly being honest in who she is. He says she is claiming to just be the face of magicamy and that in reality someone else plays the game for her.

http://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/2wbpzv/is_magicamy_real_from_former_teammate_and_a_hs/

There isn't really anything to support this accusation, however, but it is an interesting read.

This would make more sense if she was actually attractive.

Minsc

Gold Member
Well that's something new, played from an empty board (theirs) vs a semi-full one (mine):

Equality > Knife Juggler > Muster > Recruit (Hero Power)

Has got to be the most troll-ish board clear I've been hit with yet. I had 4 minions (2 were totems, I know not to over-commit, but still), and 3 of them dropped like flies from the KJ processing off the Muster + Recruit, and the 4th dies to the 1-ping from the 1/4 weapon from Muster.

Leaving them with a prime board for getting their 3/3s next turn, and a completely empty board on my side. Unfortunately for me, while they drew their 2nd Muster (hence the combo above), I didn't get my second AoE, so that game turned in to a quick loss as their army of recruits survived the round.

Paladin is really something now I feel, they must have the most board clears of any class. I guess the key is surviving through the Musters without seeing them buffed, and also drawing out the 2 equalities.

Fixed1979

Last day bump for the N/A GAF tournament, sign-ups close tonight.

Round Two of the The NeoGAF N/A Hearthstone Superstar Open Challenge Season One!

And if you haven't posted your hero picks yet, please do so before the end of the night.

I tried fixing up my mech warrior again last night, lost 3 ranks pretty quick and gave up. A day will come when I get this to work.

Well that's something new, played from an empty board (theirs) vs a semi-full one (mine):

Equality > Knife Juggler > Muster > Recruit (Hero Power)

Has got to be the most troll-ish board clear I've been hit with yet. I had 4 minions (2 were totems, I know not to over-commit, but still), and 3 of them dropped like flies from the KJ processing off the Muster + Recruit, and the 4th dies to the 1-ping from the 1/4 weapon from Muster.

Leaving them with a prime board for getting their 3/3s next turn, and a completely empty board on my side. Unfortunately for me, while they drew their 2nd Muster (hence the combo above), I didn't get my second AoE, so that game turned in to a quick loss as their army of recruits survived the round.

Paladin is really something now I feel, they must have the most board clears of any class. I guess the key is surviving through the Musters without seeing them buffed, and also drawing out the 2 equalities.

They're a really strong class right now, I'm still not completely sold on their class legendaries though.

You know, I'm beginning to think that weapon design for the Rogue will be a major issue going forward with Blade Flurry existing in its current form. I feel like they'll need to always keep in mind not letting weapon damage scale much, because if it gets too much higher relative to the 30 HP we have for each hero, we'll start seeing Blade Flurry being game-defining.

Minsc

Gold Member
You know, I'm beginning to think that weapon design for the Rogue will be a major issue going forward with Blade Flurry existing in its current form. I feel like they'll need to always keep in mind not letting weapon damage scale much, because if it gets too much higher relative to the 30 HP we have for each hero, we'll start seeing Blade Flurry being game-defining.

It already sort is, with just a deadly poison > oil > attack face > blade flurry, you've done 15+ damage and a 6 damage AoE for 7 mana, 4 mana if you had a prep. A few eviscerates and you're quickly approaching the 25-30 range for 8+ mana.

Also Prep in to Sprint is really good too, usually they can do that and still have plenty of mana to still play some of the new cards (even if it's just a freshly drawn eviscerate on a 4-health minion you had for 2 mana).

CoolOff

Holy shit Healbots in Hunter is the greatest idea since sliced bread. You go neck and neck with Mech Mage and Face Hunter until like turn 7/8, drop the Healbot and they just insta-concede. 9-0 vs Mech Mage so far.

It already sort is, with just a deadly poison > oil > attack face > blade flurry, you've done 15+ damage and a 6 damage AoE for 7 mana, 4 mana if you had a prep. A few eviscerates and you're quickly approaching the 25-30 range for 8+ mana.

Also Prep in to Sprint is really good too, usually they can do that and still have plenty of mana to still play some of the new cards (even if it's just a freshly drawn eviscerate on a 4-health minion you had for 2 mana).

Right, that's exactly the issue; it's already very good, now imagine if they include a few more weapon options that maybe are more ideal for that sort of deck? It could get out of hand very quickly.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Right, that's exactly the issue; it's already very good, now imagine if they include a few more weapon options that maybe are more ideal for that sort of deck? It could get out of hand very quickly.

Well, you could give them a 1 charge weapon, then you don't have to worry about blade furry combos.

As an individual new to the Hearthstone community, watching this MagicAmy drama unfold is intriguing. Having a woman on camera has long been a what if scenario I've thought about ever since being introduced to game streaming culture. I spent a little bit of time going through "her" content and it's a shame that if this is indeed true... the fallout will probably alienate a person generated some interesting content (the tempostorm tier list is pretty neat).

Anyways, after about 8-10 hours of play...I'm gonna give some impressions about the game. I find Hearthstone's model fascinating in that it's this weird compromise between the two extremes of free two play gaming. Unlike DOTA2, it's a game where spending more money does generate an tangible advantage but at the same time, you would need to spend a ridiculous amount of money legitimately (not going to bring in account buying to the argument) to assemble a top tier deck (ashamed to say how much I spent this week stupidly thinking I would be able to pull a legendary out of packs- not going to buy anymore cards for awhile).

As for the gameplay, as a former MTG player from 1996, this game feels like old hat. I haven't really had any issues with strategy (that'll change as I go up in rank and as the cards increase in complexity). The biggest problem is just regularly coming across impactful cards that I've never seen before. At first I was a little miffed with seeing Legends pop up or secret cards or crazy deathrattle cards (when I didn't have them in my possession) but for the most part, they're not completely unstoppable as there's usually an accessible counter (at least at the rank I'm playing in). I'm sure I'll feel differently once I suffer my first 5-10 game losing streak consisting of nothing but Dr. Dooms or whatever expensive card du jour is popular at the moment...but for now this game is a fun pick up and play diversion that satisfies an itch for competitive multiplayer. Hopefully I can create some effective, economical and creative decks once I know all the cards.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You know what I would love to see as a card that will never ever happen? Something that makes you swap hands with the other player. Would have to be something that was 10 mana though. Even then likely too powerful.

For even more lawls, a 10 mana priest card that swaps your remaining deck with the opponents.

You know what I would love to see as a card that will never ever happen? Something that makes you swap hands with the other player. Would have to be something that was 10 mana though. Even then likely too powerful.

For even more lawls, a 10 mana priest card that swaps your remaining deck with the opponents.

I want a 10 mana "Both players discard their hand, destroy all minions, discard all remaining cards in both decks, place 15 random cards into each deck, and each player draws 5 cards" spell.

The random cards that make-up the 15 cards are completely random, not necessarily from anything currently used in that match.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Mana Inverter: While this minion is in play, The mana cost off all cards is inverted. End your turn after playing this card.

Preperation is now a 10 mana spell, Pyroblast is free, Zombie Chow now a 9 mana card, Boom costs 3.

Mana Capacitor: While this minion is in play, can store any excess mana to be used on a future turn. If destroyed, will deal damage equal to stored mana to controlling player.

Ikkarus

What I would like to see is being able to discard cards from your opponents hand, totally at random but it would bring a new element in to HS.

I saved up a bunch of gold over the last few weeks, and I intended to spend it on 12 GvG packs. However, I messed up and bought classic packs. The result, Tirion and Ragnaros :eek: :eek: :eek:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom