• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paladins having secrets doesn't really make sense to me. Mages and Hunters? Sure. But Paladins? Eh.

Would make more sense as a mechanic for Rogues.

Telling when no serious Paladin deck uses secrets at all. Outside of the occasional troll Tirion/Redemption combo. And arena.

Cat Party

Do people who play mech mage in casual actually have fun? It's the same deck every time. How rewarding is to play a deck that you didn't create in a mode where nothing is at stake?

tylerf

I'd rather be facing mech mages in casual than the flavor of the week Oil Rogue decks I constantly see while trying to do dailies.

Super newb question:

I've never had more than one daily quest. Each day, I beat the quest, get my 40 coins, and that's that. Is there any way to get more than one daily quest at a time? And is there anything I should be doing to get better (more $$$-productive) quests?

Pooya

went to arena with a mage deck heartharena picked for me, 2 wins so far by huge lead. The deck looks terrible though, barely any synergy there but decent cards individually, no legendary. Winning by questing adventurer so far...

Ikkarus

Super newb question:

I've never had more than one daily quest. Each day, I beat the quest, get my 40 coins, and that's that. Is there any way to get more than one daily quest at a time? And is there anything I should be doing to get better (more $$$-productive) quests?
You can re-roll your daily quest once a day as some of them pay out more coins than others.

As for getting more than one quest a day I don't believe you can.

Otherwise if you win 3 games it rewards you 10 coins.

TheChaos0

You can re-roll your daily quest once a day as some of them pay out more coins than others.

As for getting more than one quest a day I don't believe you can.

Otherwise if you win 3 games it rewards you 10 coins.

I sometimes get 2 quests a day. It always been a mystery to me.

gutshot

Super newb question:

You can get more than one daily quest at a time, yes. You can have three at once if you wait three days. You could then complete all three at once if you choose. This is the best way to make gold with the least amount of playing.

Magnus

I sometimes get 2 quests a day. It always been a mystery to me.

You really don't.

Happened to me twice, assumed it was a bug. One of those times, it was the same quest twice, so it essentially was worth double gold. I didn't complain.

They really need ways to earn more gold.

I'm thinking they do weekends or something where everyone gets a bonus quest worth 150 gold, or where ranked wins are worth more, or where all wins are worth 20 instead of 10. "Double gold weekends" or something.

More 'events' like this in general would be fun.

Magnus

Omg guys

Paladin Secrets in arena - nobody sees them coming. I've had two epic wins from people who walked right into them. A priest with 6 health had a 32/32 Lightspawn on the board but attacked with his other 6/6 minion instead to show off before the kill, and killed himself to my Eye for an Eye. LOL

A Noble Defender secret just fucked a Foe Reaper assault too. Love it.

ViviOggi

Paladin Secrets in arena - nobody sees them coming. I've had two epic wins from people who walked right into them. A priest with 6 health had a 32/32 Lightspawn on the board but attacked with his other 6/6 minion instead to show off before the kill, and killed himself to my Eye for an Eye. LOL
Sounds like the guy was playing around Get Down and giving you more credit than you deserved for drafting Eye for an Eye :p You can't play around that shit, he only made a mistake if he didn't heal himself before attacking.

Magnus

Sounds like the guy was playing around Get Down and giving you more credit than you deserved for drafting Eye for an Eye :p You can't play around that shit, he only made a mistake if he didn't heal himself before attacking.

I find drafting the unsuspected cards that are often deemed terrible has resulted in crazy success for me. The unexpected always ends up delivering. Lol

Also, he went into Shadowform on turn 1. No healing for him.

Pooya

went to arena with a mage deck heartharena picked for me, 2 wins so far by huge lead. The deck looks terrible though, barely any synergy there but decent cards individually, no legendary. Winning by questing adventurer so far...

Out with 3 wins :\ this Priest deck sure didn't look very random. uh

at least I got a gold shaman weapon.

Magnus

4-2 so far with this paladin deck. Sadly my best in a long time.

Edit- 5-3. Best I ever rolled was 6 wins with a hunter in my first month of playing last fall. Lol

Pack had a second Echo of Medivh for me, yay! Love that card.

iirate

Happened to me twice, assumed it was a bug. One of those times, it was the same quest twice, so it essentially was worth double gold. I didn't complain.

They really need ways to earn more gold.

I'm thinking they do weekends or something where everyone gets a bonus quest worth 150 gold, or where ranked wins are worth more, or where all wins are worth 20 instead of 10. "Double gold weekends" or something.

More 'events' like this in general would be fun.

I get 2 quests sometimes, but I've only seen it happen on days where I was "missed" a daily by being capped the prior day. It seems that Hearthstone has a sort of catchup mechanic when that happens, but I've also seen it not happen and just give me 1 quest the next day anyways, so I don't really know what's going on.

Biochet

i love oil rogue so much, if only i was around for miracle rogue

p.s i play warrior all the time but going up against one as rogue is so (ꐦ ಠ皿ಠ )

Magnus

If I want to start really playing should I just buy all the cards?

I fell in love with the game and sank cash into it. Haven't regretted it. Having so many more cards has offered me flexibility to play many more of the heroes at greater potential and with a lot more fun to boot.

Azzurri

I fell in love with the game and sank cash into it. Haven't regretted it. Having so many more cards has offered me flexibility to play many more of the heroes at greater potential and with a lot more fun to boot.

Yea, I've put probably $50 into it. The only way to really compete is to get all the cards for all the decks.

The Adder

Banned
Do people who play mech mage in casual actually have fun? It's the same deck every time. How rewarding is to play a deck that you didn't create in a mode where nothing is at stake?

2 things

1. I play a mech mage deck, but I created it from scratch day one of GvG (as evidenced by the fact it contains 2 counterspells and Antique Healbot)

2. I keep a deck space open for netdecks so I can complete quests, which I do in casual. (I play one of my decks and only that one in ranked every month, so I can't complete quests that don't apply to that deck in casual).

Not that I really know these things, but I wonder if Goblin Blastmage is filling the same role Soul Fire used to in Zoo. What I mean is, Zoo worked best when you could empty your hand filling the board, then remove whatever your opponent plays with Soul Fire. Then you'd have a full board of minions and the enemy hero would be way behind. They'd play whatever but you'd have tools to trade up and keep their board clear. Now with Blastmage, it's almost kind of the same thing. Having four damage go out on turn four can be pretty devastating and clear early game minions which would be used to control the board otherwise.

Wouldn't say I'm right though, never really played Zoo and did only a bit of Mech Mage, and I'm still learning about the game overall. Just a thought that popped into my head while playing when a Blastmage hit a minion four times in a row.

ViviOggi

Not that I really know these things, but I wonder if Goblin Blastmage is filling the same role Soul Fire used to in Zoo. What I mean is, Zoo worked best when you could empty your hand filling the board, then remove whatever your opponent plays with Soul Fire. Then you'd have a full board of minions and the enemy hero would be way behind. They'd play whatever but you'd have tools to trade up and keep their board clear. Now with Blastmage, it's almost kind of the same thing. Having four damage go out on turn four can be pretty devastating and clear early game minions which would be used to control the board otherwise.

Wouldn't say I'm right though, never really played Zoo and did only a bit of Mech Mage, and I'm still learning about the game overall. Just a thought that popped into my head while playing when a Blastmage hit a minion four times in a row.
They're both cards with huge tempo swing potential (new Soulfire not so much) so yeah, you could say that.

Ikkarus

A little. The power of Soul Fire lied in the fact it cost 0 and with Zoo you would easily empty your hand by the time you could fire Soul Fire off and thus not discard a card. When you add to that the Warlock hero ability you're looking at a really strong card hence the nerf.

With Goblin Blastmage you need a Mech out plus it's costs 4 mana and the shots fired from him are random. He's still a massive tempo swinger but he's not completely OP.

So I guess I'll try out oil rogue. Just looked over Tesla's decklist for it and apparently I was only a few cards away from completing it (missing deckhand, preparation, violet teachers x2, and a blade fury and Azure drake). I figure preparation is probably a core card in any rogue build so dropping 400 to craft it was fine. I crafted the others no problem and substitute the second Azure drake with a mini-mage (maybe I'll dust it for an Azure drake...I dunno)..

Anyways can't wait to try it out later...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I crafted the others no problem and substitute the second Azure drake with a mini-mage (maybe I'll dust it for an Azure drake...I dunno)..

That is a terrible sub. The only suitable sub for an Azure Drake in a deck like that is probably thalnos, but even there are a lot better subs than mini mage. Mini mage is just... awful.

That is a terrible sub. The only suitable sub for an Azure Drake in a deck like that is probably thalnos, but even there are a lot better subs than mini mage. Mini mage is just... awful.

Thalnos is already in there... Should I shard Mini mage for drake then? I think the costs balances out... (epic for rare )

BTW...it's fun seeing a lot of people participating in this community are the same posters I recognize from DOTA-GAF(some of whom I hadn't seen there post in awhile). I guess Hearthstone is a good alternative to the amazing time sink that is DOTA 2.

ZealousD

Thalnos is already in there... Should I shard Mini mage for drake then? I think the costs balances out... (epic for rare )

While I'm generally against crafting rares, I don't think you'll miss mini mage in the slightest if you dust him.

BTW...it's fun seeing a lot of people participating in this community are the same posters I recognize from DOTA-GAF(some of whom I hadn't seen there post in awhile). I guess Hearthstone is a good alternative to the amazing time sink that is DOTA 2.

The spellpower+1 isn't necessarily important, since Drake is actually a pretty poor spellpower boost since it's so expensive, but it's been core on most Rogue decks because it draws a card and has a decent body, so it's not something mini mage can substitute for. If you don't want to craft drake you might as well sub it for a second deckhand or an arcane golem, or a kobold geomancer

ZealousD

The spellpower+1 isn't necessarily important, since Drake is actually a pretty poor spellpower boost since it's so expensive, but it's been core on most Rogue decks because it draws a card and has a decent body, so it's not something mini mage can substitute for. If you don't want to craft drake you might as well sub it for a second deckhand or an arcane golem, or a kobold geomancer

The spellpower is what gives the card the extra oomph that makes it as popular as it is. If Azure Drake didn't have spell power it would probably be only as popular as gnomish inventor.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
good to see that the hearthstone subreddit is as toxic as all the rest of the site

Tell me about it. Dozens of women accuse Cosby of rape and it's still "innocent until proven guilty".

One guy accuses Zoe Quinn or Magicamy of potential wrongdoing and it turns into a relentless witch hunt.

The spellpower is what gives the card the extra oomph that makes it as popular as it is. If Azure Drake didn't have spell power it would probably be only as popular as gnomish inventor.

The only two spellpower minions that get consistent play (besides Malygos) are Drake and Thalnos, because they both have card draw utility as well. +1 Spellpower just isn't that great of an ability, and I don't think we'll see pure +spellpower minions being prominent in the meta til they introduce some +2 spellpower minions, but that might actually be broken.

Kobold Geomancer and Ogre Magi are objectively better at being spellpower boosters than Thalnos or Drake, but those two cards are rarely played while the latter have been staple rogue cards since forever.

Kornflayx

13 ranked matches, 13 mech mages with perfect mana curve and blastmage on turn 4 to clear my board.

I'm done with ranked until this mech mage shit stops.

Played against a total fucking asshole who purposely took as much time as he needed, and refused to end his turn, but he never got punished for it the next turn with a shorter round fuse

So I just quit, which is probably what he wanted.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Colma Mech Druid fucking sucks (which is what I've been playing) Problem is, everyone is playing a mech build wrapped around Mech Warper (seriously the most powerful card in the game). Mech shaman, mech Mage. My win rate the last two days has plummeted from like %60 to like %30. Even got frustrated and bought a 14 deck pack which had Ragnaros. Even he isn't helping. Everyone is seemingly a masterful mech deck.

I love this game, but it's an toxic stroke of marketing genius -- convince everyone your game is based on skill and not luck or pay-to-win, then proceed to watch everyone buy cards to win. Yeah. Fuck that. It's this games dirty little secret. I'm just frustrated with this game right now.

ZealousD

The only two spellpower minions that get consistent play (besides Malygos) are Drake and Thalnos, because they both have card draw utility as well. +1 Spellpower just isn't that great of an ability, and I don't think we'll see pure +spellpower minions being prominent in the meta til they introduce some +2 spellpower minions, but that might actually be broken.

Kobold Geomancer and Ogre Magi are objectively better at being spellpower boosters than Thalnos or Drake, but those two cards are rarely played while the latter have been staple rogue cards since forever.

Not disagreeing. Just saying that if Azure Drake was a 4/4 draw with no spell power it probably wouldn't see much play except in arena. Kinda like gnomish inventor. There's a reason Azure Drake only finds itself in Rogue, and sometimes Shaman and Mage. And that's the +1 spellpower. +1 spellpower is less good than an extra stat point but it ain't nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom