• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I highly doubt Blizzard will ever implement an effect that has you make your opponent discard cards. In my mind, that's way to against their philosophy of the game. Mainly, the other player has no control as they have to sit and watch their deck fall apart.

They do allow milling, but a player can change how they play the game to counter it.

oh man i wish hearthstone recorded all of your matches and you could save after the fact.

i just went up against a priest with my shamen. at one point he/she had three dr booms. their original one, copied it and stole mine. i used faceless manipulator copied the one with the most health used bloodlust so my bombs were able to take out 2 of his 3. after the fallout we both had one dr boom he hit my face and took me down to 4. This was on turn 15 by turn 25 i won.

sorry to ramble but i don't think i know anyone who would appreciate it ha

Fixed1979

Is it feasible to have Blizzard add cards that can't be used in Arena or Ranked play? Would anyone care? It would be a fun way to mess around with some crazy cards in Play mode...just include a 6th card in random packs or something.

Is it feasible to have Blizzard add cards that can't be used in Arena or Ranked play? Would anyone care? It would be a fun way to mess around with some crazy cards in Play mode...just include a 6th card in random packs or something.

Probably not since casual is kind of a stepping stone to ranked and if you're facing cards you never face in ranked, you can't even rely on testing new decks there.

However, I think it would be cool if they had a big adventure mode where you collect cards not playable in MP.

Fixed1979

Is there a list of what legendary cards lie behind which packs?

Quite a few pages back someone did a spreadsheet (for collecting purposes) that broke down all the cards and where they came from, would probably be useful for you if anyone still has a link...

Is there a list of what legendary cards lie behind which packs?
I'm kind of confused by this question but here goes.

You have Classic packs which contain everything before Naxx. The only cards not from packs are Old Murk Eye(get one of each Murloc), Gelbin Megatorque(buy something during the beta, abd Elite Tauren Chieftain(BlizzCon last year). Should be all of them.

Then there are Naxx legendaries which you just get from each wing.

Then there's GvG as well.

The list not from packs is relatively small.

As an aside, if you go to your collection and enter crafting, you can change what set of cards you see. That might not help because it probably doesn't show Naxx cards if you don't have it or reveal reward cards since they're "hidden". Should show Elite Tauren Chieftain and Gelbin though.

CRS

Classic set: cards obtained through Classic packs

Promo set: so far just two cards. They were obtained by buying something from the store during beta and going to blizzcon 2013

Reward set: just two cards as well. Old Murk Eye - get every kind of (classic) murloc; Captain's Parrot - get every kind of (classic) Pirate

Naxxramus set: cards obtained from the Naxx adventure

Goblins vs Gmomes set: cards obtained from GvG packs

There's also "cards" that are only dropped from monsters like Ysera but those don't really count.

Zemm

What I would like to see is being able to discard cards from your opponents hand, totally at random but it would bring a new element in to HS.

Just what this game needs, more RNG

ViviOggi

I'm kind of confused by this question but here goes.

You have Classic packs which contain everything before Naxx. The only cards not from packs are Old Murk Eye(get one of each Murloc), Gelbin Megatorque(buy something during the beta, abd Elite Tauren Chieftain(BlizzCon last year). Should be all of them.

Then there are Naxx legendaries which you just get from each wing.

Then there's GvG as well.

The list not from packs is relatively small.

As an aside, if you go to your collection and enter crafting, you can change what set of cards you see. That might not help because it probably doesn't show Naxx cards if you don't have it or reveal reward cards since they're "hidden". Should show Elite Tauren Chieftain and Gelbin though.
Captain's Parrot am cry

br3wnor

Have 4/5 "Win as Warrior" of a daily done, so figure got a quick 20 mins study break, might as well pop on to bang it out real quick.

Played 5 games

Mech Mage
Mech Mage
Face Hunter
Mech Mage
Mech Mage

That was fun

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Have 4/5 "Win as Warrior" of a daily done, so figure got a quick 20 mins study break, might as well pop on to bang it out real quick.

Played 5 games

Mech Mage
Mech Mage
Face Hunter
Mech Mage
Mech Mage

That was fun
Doesn't warrior normally have a good win rate vs those decks?

CoolOff

I'm done with ladder, too much frustration for not enough reward, never gonna hit legend.

Bring on arena-rankings or in-game tournaments pls.

Vio-Lence

Banned
The problem with mech mage like other popular aggro decks of the past, if they get a good curve to start, the games snowball out of control with no hope of recovery.

Theres a reason its been ranked tier 1 in the last few meta rankings, and the pros are playing it in tournaments with great success.

The game is just tedious to play as it is right now. The meta is atrocious.

The next expansion really needs to shake things up or there will never really be a reason to run anything other than aggro. Why run control when you can be just as successful with a cheap aggro deck and get wins in half the time?

JesseZao

The next expansion really needs to shake things up or there will never really be a reason to run anything other than aggro. Why run control when you can be just as successful with a cheap aggro deck and get wins in half the time?

Supposedly, we'll be hearing something about the next expansion or adventure in a couple weeks at PAX East during the blizzard panel.

I'm actually okay with the state of the game outright now. People are still trying new things and each class has multiple deck types that are run.

Sblargh

Banned
Yeah. My biggest problem playing control right now isn't even the win ratio, but that for a game that rewards grinding and playing a lot of matches, then the time a match takes to complete becomes a real issue.

CoolOff

Main problem is exactly that, half the time. Ladder makes it so 55% WR with aggro is better than 60% with control.

Implement tournaments and this effect goes away.

Fixed1979

Supposedly, we'll be hearing something about the next expansion or adventure in a couple weeks at PAX East during the blizzard panel.

I'm actually okay with the state of the game outright now. People are still trying new things and each class has multiple deck types that are run.

I'm with you, don't remember the last time I've seen this much variation, though I guess it depends where you are on the ladder.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I like and dislike healbot.

I like it because it provides neutral access to healing, which is very important for control decks to function properly. Before, your control decks would depend utterly on how much healing it had access to and the quality of the healing. Healbot serves as an equalizer, allowing all decks to be able to play a control-ish gameplan.

I dislike it because fuck healing man, games take forever these days it's boring as shit. I just want to do my dailies.

Dreavus

I highly doubt Blizzard will ever implement an effect that has you make your opponent discard cards. In my mind, that's way to against their philosophy of the game. Mainly, the other player has no control as they have to sit and watch their deck fall apart.

They do allow milling, but a player can change how they play the game to counter it.

I don't think standard discard would break anything, at it's simplest I could see Warlock getting a "opponent discards two cards" pretty easily. "card advantage-wise" it's the exact same as Arcane intellect - you've spent some mana to be up one card with no effect to the board. The oft referenced Magic the Gathering has "forcing your opponent to discard" as a pretty standard effect and in most cases it isn't overpowered at all. It can be a strong tool for aggressive strategies to cut the cards a slower deck has access to while they rapidly play theirs.

If you make it completely random, however (instead of letting the player discarding choose what they are getting rid of), it's way more powerful and frustrating to play against. Unfortunately that's the only way current hearthstone would be able to implement it, since they are avoiding asking for any kind of input when it's not your turn.

---

If they actually want to support milling, I could see them adding a neutral minion or two that burns a card off the top of an opponent's deck whenever they deal damage to the player, or something along those lines.

EDIT: Whoops I think you might be talking about milling (forcing them to draw/over-draw in the HS sense) and not discarding from hand, which are very different things!

That feeling when no one is streaming a deck you find interesting.

And I've never been a huge fan of arena streams in general, but I tolerate Kripp and Amaz's runs.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
MM is favored against Warrior. Warrior getting ass fucked by a Snow Chugger is some of the funniest shit ever.

I don't think its favored. Snowchugger is only a problem if the warrior can't kill it first. Weapons trade favorably with almost every minion in the mech mage arsenal except for annoyotron.

Pooya

these fatigue druids are so annoying, two healing touches, two healbots and of course poison seeds twice? really? and the other one I played with just used Tree of Life! it still didn't save them but damn, I was playing for half an hour each, waste of time.

they didn't seem to have any notable minions in their decks, lol, just filling my hand with garbage. I pulled Mal'Ganis out of portal and it was loads of fun, such a powerful card to have + stealth spare part :p

Brofist

MM is favored against Warrior. Warrior getting ass fucked by a Snow Chugger is some of the funniest shit ever.

Chugga shouldn't be that much of an issue unless the warrior has no removal. There usually aren't that many big targets in a mm deck, so blowing a shield slam or execute on one is worth it.

Add imp-losion to the list of cards that always fucks me with bad RNG. Always roll 2.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
hey don't be smack talking my deck man

ps: you're essentially going through 110 health

ViviOggi

Annoyotron and Chugga are more than enough to destroy you as CW. Its gameplan against aggro is to keep the board small with value weapon trades and those two minions counter that HARD, letting the MM build an army behind them that grows out of control very fast.

CRS

these fatigue druids are so annoying, two healing touches, two healbots and of course poison seeds twice? really? and the other one I played with just used Tree of Life! it still didn't save them but damn, I was playing for half an hour each, waste of time.

they didn't seem to have any notable minions in their decks, lol, just filling my hand with garbage. I pulled Mal'Ganis out of portal and it was loads of fun, such a powerful card to have + stealth spare part :p

For a sec, I thought you were the Warlock I was playing against. I lost the game unfortunately since my client bugged and it didn't let me reconnect. >_<

Beat a Legend Control Warrior in my next game though with the Mill Druid. He gave me the Burrowing Mine and there was a ~16% chance of me drawing it and killing me but instead it was a swipe and it let me use my Tree of Life with 8 health left. He had 4 cards left and couldn't do anything since they were all removal.

As soon as he dropped an Acolyte early in the game, I knew he was about to lose a lot of cards. Throughout the game I think he lost 5/6 cards including a Weapon (huge) and other removal spells (not important). Was able to get rid of his Alex, Grommash, Iron Juggernaut, and Cairne Bloodhoof with ease. It's so much fun to play.

There's no nice way to say this.

But being competitive in e-sports as a girl instantly creates exposure. It is exceptionally marketable, and players will watch a girl's stream just to see if it's really a girl (and an attractive one at that) playing video games at a high level. It is a shortcut to being one of the top streamers for any given game, because the consumers of this industry are thirsty as fuck.

If a new player who was similar to Trump in skill and personality showed up today, do you think he'd make Trump numbers? Do you know the people streaming with 100 maybe 200 viewers? I don't. The way Twitch is laid out, being popular makes you more likely to continue being popular, and Trump got in on the ground floor. Almost everyone agrees he's inoffensive to the point of boredom, but he still maintains a huge viewerbase.

Look at some of the 1000+ viewer streams on Twitch.

GuardsmanBob: Ex-League Pro
Brian Kibler: MTG Pro
Day9: Starcraft II personality
ItsHafu: Longtime streamer/personality
Kripparian: Longtime streamer/personality

Many of these people built up their "brand" over years of effort. The average streamer is not going to get even close to that unless they're dedicated to spreading their brand through prolific streaming, community interaction and competitive results.

Or you can backdoor your way into it by being a curio. And someone figured out that one can be created artificially.

The cats are the real star of Day9's stream though :p

CoolOff

That moment where you play Bomber on an empty side against a 7/1 War Golem, a 3/3 Divine Shield, and a 1/1 token.

And it hits your own face three times so you die on his turn.

Every other outcome would've made me win the game, but nooooo, go for the 0.8% chance outcome.

Dahbomb

I don't think its favored. Snowchugger is only a problem if the warrior can't kill it first. Weapons trade favorably with almost every minion in the mech mage arsenal except for annoyotron.
The problem is that the Snowchugger tends to be protected by the Annoyotron. If you are hitting the minions then you have less health to work with when the Mech Mage puts the Warrior down to low enough health to fireball down.

Also there are Frost Bolts that also prevent weapon usage. People will just Frost Bolt face and develop board just to deny weapon usage.

Looking online a lot of people seem to agree that Mech Mage beats Warrior and it's not really a shock. I have played from both ends and that's what it feels like. Warrior needs a bunch of very specific anti aggro cards (2 Whirlwinds, Sheeps, Ghouls) to keep Mech Mage at bay that many people aren't actually running.

EDIT: Whoops I think you might be talking about milling (forcing them to draw/over-draw in the HS sense) and not discarding from hand, which are very different things!
I was just using milling as an example since it's technically the only way in Hearthstone to make your enemy hero 'discard' their deck.

Thinking about it, if there was a card that made your opponent discard, the card was hidden, and they got to choose which one, I can see that working. As you said, that gives the other player control, which allows them to still play.

Overall, I'm just talking about how Blizzard wants Hearthstone to 'feel.' From not showing losses in your stats, how ranking is just simple stars, and how the only ranked reward each month is impossible not to get(outside of Legend) shows that they want this game to be easy and simple fun(For most people.) Giving players the ability to pick apart and destroy each other's deck, at least in my mind, is completely opposite of that philosophy. However, we both seem in agreement that play a card and random discards isn't a good thing.

However, I could see it working through a Loatheb-esc Battlecry or even a spell would work. Just have it be something that's kind of like tracking but for your opponent. Have them draw extra cards but they can only keep one. Could even have something where they draw three extra cards but have to discard two from their hand. More fun with milling!

No idea if these are even food ideas though. I'm not big on card games but it's actually a good thing to cycle through your deck faster. I wouldn't count it out, but I also see it highly unlikely.

Haunted

Play casual, 4-5 games against a Rogue, a Mage, Shaman and 2 Druids. Fun, varied games that last a while. Some shorter, some longer, a bit of midrange and a bit of control.

Play ranked (rank 11), 3 Mechmages in a row, all three games the same handful of cards, the same openings, and over after 6 turns either way.

And people ask my why I don't really play ranked. :lol

Play casual, 4-5 games against a Rogue, a Mage, Shaman and 2 Druids. Fun, varied games that last a while. Some shorter, some longer, a bit of midrange and a bit of control.

Play ranked (rank 11), 3 Mechmages in a row, all three games the same handful of cards, the same openings, and over after 6 turns either way.

And people ask my why I don't really play ranked. :lol

Sometimes you play 3 in a row and then don't see any for the rest of the night. Just luck I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom