• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarazet

You don't take 28 of damage with your opponent in 1 of health everyday.

FUUUUCK!

There are a lot of decks now that are built to do exactly that. You never know what turn the 20+ damage is coming but if he pulls it off, there's nothing much you can do. So you have to scare them into using pieces of their combo as removal. If a Shaman uses Rockbiter early, you know they are going to have a problem later.

Dreavus

I suppose if you're not a hunter the boar can work against a few things, but it feels like you're including an intentionally poor card in your deck just to activate some secrets, and against non-secret decks it's not something you are going to want to draw pretty much ever.

Flare is primarily good because it unconditionally ices a secret without even putting you down a card. And it's not a big deal if you're facing a secretless class because the ability to "cycle" it out for 1 mana is nearly painless. A flare without the card draw would be pretty bad, and that's sort of what the boar is like in this situation.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Hell if you're going to run a garbage charge card just to active secrets, might as well make it bluegill warrior. At least then you might trade with a 3/2 or something.

zoukka

Boar is just so bad outside Hunter. If the card feels like a good addition to decks because of secrets, then we can all agree the meta is fucked.

I disagree with this sentiment because it implies it lacks depth you'd expect in a more matured game.

I first played MTG when it first came out. And I think like MTG the game is going to add depth with each set and even naxxramas added a lot with deathrattles and making the order as it is. There are things that MTG does well that MTG will never be able to do.

It is designed to be accessible for new players and I don't think that takes away from it either.

HS has depth. But it's just a pond to MTG's Marianas Trench.

Tacitus_

Buzzard this time. Buzzard says "when you summon a beast", but I guess all minion placement counts as summoning... so why can't deahlord rulings say "your opponent summons a random minion"...

Buzzard gets activated whenever you get a friendly beast put in play. That's why it works with Highmane deathrattle and snake trap.

zoukka

Buzzard gets activated whenever you get a friendly beast put in play. That's why it works with Highmane deathrattle and snake trap.

My issue is with HS wordings, not the actual rules. They shouldn't use "put in play" at all since it suggests a different mechanic than summoning.

ShinNL

My issue is with HS wordings, not the actual rules. They shouldn't use "put in play" at all since it suggests a different mechanic than summoning.
When I realized I couldn't execute my own Sylvanas I was a sad panda.

Edit: wait, Google shows it says enemy minion now. I could've sworn it wasn't before.

Edit 2: nope, this is a case where I just screwed up.

Tacitus_

Ah shit, just drafted an arena deck with Kel'Thuzad, Ysera AND Tirion. Felt bad for my last opponent when I plopped them down.

Fucking pyroblasts :d

:lol 2-3
My worst run this week.

zoukka

Where is 'play' used? It's not on deathlord.

My bad, it says "put a minion to battlefield". Which is different than "summon a minion".

Ah shit, just drafted an arena deck with Kel'Thuzad, Ysera AND Tirion. Felt bad for my last opponent when I plopped them down.

Fucking pyroblasts :d

:lol 2-3
My worst run this week.

Don't worry my 2-3 Priest deck had Cairne and Rag yesterday :(

Xanathus

Ugh Shaman sucks so bad in the current meta even when you're not against hunters. I'm trashing people with Priest and Rogue decks but when I bring out Shaman every game runs down to near fatigue and is a close call.

Tacitus_

Don't worry my 2-3 Priest deck had Cairne and Rag yesterday :(

I kinda got tilted by the end of the run. I mean, the first game I lost to a double MC tech stealing all my good shit (the 2nd stealing KT), the 2nd loss was to a fireball + pyro to face when I had Ysera and Tirion on field + some random shit while he had nothing and the last loss to a topdecked charger with double power overwhelming.

But, it matters not. Drafted a shaman deck and I'm now 3-0. Almost lost a game to a fucking double pyro to face though, he had me at 1 hp and I would've lost if Ihadn't topdecked 3 dmg.

A paladin summoned a wild pyromancer, then used equality.
Wish I could see his face when he discovered the pyromancer's special ability is activated before the equality effect :).

ViviOggi

Finally was offered Priest in arena but apparently no spells allowed
crazy.gif
Got Smite, Death, Mass Dispel and Nova (1x each)...
Built some kind of Zoo Priest deck, my early is strong and I even got a Rag, but ultimately I'll get rekt once I reach Skillstrike City and Druids dropping fatty after fatty.

Oh and here's a picture of MD value:

Wish I could see his face when he discovered the pyromancer's special ability is activated before the equality effect :).
Pyro into Equality has been a Paladin staple since beta and results in a full clear, this can't be right. Either a very recent bug or you're not remembering correctly, maybe he played another spell before Equality to remove divine shields or something?

What? No the spell activates first and then the wild pyro goes off. I've done it numerous times with my paly deck

Pyro into Equality has been a Paladin staple since beta and results in a full clear, this can't be right. Either a very recent bug or you're not remembering correctly, maybe he played another spell before Equality to remove divine shields or something?

The fact is that my minions survived it.

Brakara

Ugh Shaman sucks so bad in the current meta even when you're not against hunters. I'm trashing people with Priest and Rogue decks but when I bring out Shaman every game runs down to near fatigue and is a close call.

What shaman deck are you running? It sounds like you need more closing power... are you using your rockbiters before drawing Al'Akir or Doomhammer, or maybe you need to include bloodlust?

Xanathus

What shaman deck are you running? It sounds like you need more closing power... are you using your rockbiters before drawing Al'Akir or Doomhammer, or maybe you need to include bloodlust?
Finisher is Alakir with combos, I think I replaced Doomhammer with Spectral Knight for Argus. Generally what seems to happen is that my board is filled up with totems and shit and I can't play stuff so yeah maybe bloodlust could work but I really don't like that card.

zoukka

Finisher is Alakir with combos, I think I replaced Doomhammer with Spectral Knight for Argus. Generally what seems to happen is that my board is filled up with totems and shit and I can't play stuff so yeah maybe bloodlust could work but I really don't like that card.

Bloodlust is amazing with these new token based builds. You are still going to get rekt by hunter day and night though.

Haunted

Zombie Chow seems like garbage except in Auchenai priest decks.

I know, I know, early game board control. But even then, you often don't even get much of a health advantage out of it. And whenever you don't get this card in your opening hand, it's so bad I almost don't want to play it.

Haunted

Alright, you can craft only one of these legendaries. You already have the other relevant ones. You like to play control - mostly Druid, Shaman, Paladin, Priest. Which one do you pick?

• Thalnos
  • Mukla
  • Jones
  • Cairne
  • Sylvanas
  • Black Knight
  • Alex
  • Malygos
  • Tirion
  • Cenarius
  • Al'Akir

This is totally what you think it is.

Arena, as a Mage:

Turn 1: Pass
Turn 2: Mad Scientist (died a turn later and pulled up an Ice Block)
Turn 3: Wolf Rider (traded right away for some 2-drop)
Turn 4: Water Elemental
Turn 5: Spectral Knight
Turn 6: Sea Giant
Turn 7: War Golem
Turn 8: Boulderfist Ogre and Hero Power

Most amazing start I've ever had. My opponent was fucked.

ViviOggi

Alright, you can craft only one of these legendaries. You already have the other relevant ones. You like to play control - mostly Druid, Shaman, Paladin, Priest. Which one do you pick?

• Thalnos
  • Mukla
  • Jones
  • Cairne
  • Sylvanas
  • Black Knight
  • Alex
  • Malygos
  • Tirion
  • Cenarius
  • Al'Akir
Probably Sylvanas or Cairne. Harrison is awesome but he'll forever be falling in and out of the meta.

This is totally what you think it is.
A double post?
wink.gif

I have a new favorite set up that I found out in Casual doing quests.

Turn 2/3: Unstable Ghoul
Turn 4: Rivendare
Turn 5: Put down two Eggs and trade the Ghoul

Four 4/4s on turn five is pretty sweet.

Brakara

A one-of of it can sometimes be amazing and sometimes be a dud. Worth trying at least.

Also, here's a guide of a good bloodlust deck (actually a good general shaman guide as well):

http://ihearthu.com/dkmr-faramir-shaman-guide/

A lot of people think that this card is a “Win More“- card but I disagree. It catches your opponent off guard, you suddenly have 12 dmg on the board when before there were only totems. It synergizes really well with Violet Apprentices, Totems and Nerubian Eggs, if you have Bloodlust on hand and a decent board, always look out for possible lethal, it is rather easy to miss if you are not used to a card like Bloodlust.

ShinNL

Actually, the two times I've been able to pull it off, a Druid won the next turn with Savage Roar, and a Paladin cleared it with an equality combo.

Still, getting stuff to work like that is a lot of fun.
Having eggs hang around is better most of the time. Saving it for a turn 6 Baron + Reincarnation gives you 2x 4/4 and still an egg.

This is why I cringe everytime I see Warlocks killing their own eggs. I'm like... how do I solve this puzzle with those eggs there.... OH! WELL THAT MADE IT EASY. Pyro Equality.

johnsmith

remember me
Zombie Chow seems like garbage except in Auchenai priest decks.

I know, I know, early game board control. But even then, you often don't even get much of a health advantage out of it. And whenever you don't get this card in your opening hand, it's so bad I almost don't want to play it.

it's bad in zoo. But it definitely has it's uses. Dog was using it in his Ramp Druid and kitkatz and firebat have used it in warrior and rogue. Nothing shuts down the hunter early game easier.

Minsc

Gold Member
Turn 1 Undertaker, 2x Chow turn 2, followed by death knight turn 3 basically screws up most aggro decks. If you're playing priest with a turn 4 mind games and also have a Circle of Healing to reset the health on your full board vs their soon to be empty one, it's pretty much GG. Best is stealing their 2/2 alpha wolf to boost the Death Knight to 3/8, to get rid of a Void Walker, then trading the 2/2 wolf in to one of their X/2 minions, and still having a few 2/3s and a 4/5 undertaker leftover (and of course the 2/8 taunt back to full health).

ShinNL

Turn 1 Undertaker, 2x Chow turn 2, followed by death knight turn 3 basically screws up most aggro decks. If you're playing priest with a turn 4 mind games and also have a Circle of Healing to reset the health on your full board vs their soon to be empty one, it's pretty much GG. Best is stealing their 2/2 alpha wolf to boost the Death Knight to 3/8, to get rid of a Void Walker, then trading the 2/2 wolf in to one of their X/2 minions, and still having a few 2/3s and a 4/5 undertaker leftover (and of course the 2/8 taunt back to full health).
You do understand that a deck with those cards is pretty aggro itself and basically drew better aggro cards than the other aggro player, right? Because my (control) decks never have 1 drops and that opening is 3x a 1-drop. Nor do I fear that kind of opening with plenty of answers the more cards I draw with my control decks.

Minsc

Gold Member
You do understand that a deck with those cards is pretty aggro itself and basically drew better aggro cards than the other aggro player, right? Because my (control) decks never have 1 drops and that opening is 3x a 1-drop. Nor do I fear that kind of opening with plenty of answers the more cards I draw with my control decks.

It can hold it's own pretty well with Mind Control though late game, and I have a few heavy hitters in too, like Stalagg and Feugen (which feed undertakers), Sylvanas and Ysera. Plus 2x thoughtsteal can easily give me another 3 or 4 heavy hitters. Works decently actually, has weaknesses but you can manage to beat control with it fairly often. A well timed CoH and cleric can feed 5+ cards to your hand too, to transition quicker to your late game. I was actually able to finish off another priest who milled away like 1/2 my deck playing with Pyro + CoH while I had a cleric out, simply because even losing the cards they couldn't remove all my minions fast enough.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Kelthuzad is so sick in Control Paladin. Its one of the only cards that can create completely unwinnable conditions for your opponent. Putting him behind Sludge Belchers, Sunwalkers, and/or Tirion is so gross.

zoukka

It can hold it's own pretty well with Mind Control though late game, and I have a few heavy hitters in too, like Stalagg and Feugen (which feed undertakers), Sylvanas and Ysera. Plus 2x thoughtsteal can easily give me another 3 or 4 heavy hitters. Works decently actually, has weaknesses but you can manage to beat control with it fairly often. A well timed CoH and cleric can feed 5+ cards to your hand too, to transition quicker to your late game. I was actually able to finish off another priest who milled away like 1/2 my deck playing with Pyro + CoH while I had a cleric out, simply because even losing the cards they couldn't remove all my minions fast enough.

Yeah I play this type of priest as well and the sad thing is that deathknight just sucks in the current hunter heavy meta. So do thoughtsteals.

Neil_J_UK

Kelthuzad is so sick in Control Paladin. Its one of the only cards that can create completely unwinnable conditions for your opponent. Putting him behind Sludge Belchers, Sunwalkers, and/or Tirion is so gross.

After not playing much recently, I just had a game against a Shaman with KT. He played that, plus the kill/resummon card to get 2 of him by the end of the turn. I had no way of killing both of them in one turn, so he kept using one to kill my minions and cloning them, by the end of the game he had 5 of them, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom