• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Stall Pally seems like a good deck against hunters tbh.

It's pretty good. You force them to use their KCs on your fat taunts and then heal through any remaining damage they send to your face. You deal with the highmanes by making them follow the rules and then ignoring them. Then you use the tokens or farseers to trigger the secrets.

After not playing much recently, I just had a game against a Shaman with KT. He played that, plus the kill/resummon card to get 2 of him by the end of the turn. I had no way of killing both of them in one turn, so he kept using one to kill my minions and cloning them, by the end of the game he had 5 of them, haha.

The only time I've ever recovered from multiple KT is with Auchenai + 2x Circle of Healing. Was very lucky of me to get s hold of all three cards. I'm sure Paladin can get out of jail free with Equality/Consecrate or Pyromancer/Equality fairly easily.

KingKiller

Neo Member
Are there any really good resources online for Arena? I've been exclusively using my gold on it for about a month and I am still so bad. I did pull my first Arena legendary yesterday.

It was a choice between Baron, the beast, and Nat Pagle.

JesseZao

Are there any really good resources online for Arena? I've been exclusively using my gold on it for about a month and I am still so bad. I did pull my first Arena legendary yesterday.

It was a choice between Baron, the beast, and Nat Pagle.

With no context, I'd probably grab Nat. I might pick the beast if I needed beef. I don't like baron as an arena minion, but if you draft a high curve list, he'd be fine.

KingKiller

Neo Member
With no context, I'd probably grab Nat. I might pick the beast if I needed beef. I don't like baron as an arena minion, but if you draft a high curve list, he'd be fine.

I really should have taken Nat. I was playing a priest deck and took the baron. Ended up losing me two of the three games.

ShinNL

It can hold it's own pretty well with Mind Control though late game, and I have a few heavy hitters in too, like Stalagg and Feugen (which feed undertakers), Sylvanas and Ysera. Plus 2x thoughtsteal can easily give me another 3 or 4 heavy hitters. Works decently actually, has weaknesses but you can manage to beat control with it fairly often. A well timed CoH and cleric can feed 5+ cards to your hand too, to transition quicker to your late game. I was actually able to finish off another priest who milled away like 1/2 my deck playing with Pyro + CoH while I had a cleric out, simply because even losing the cards they couldn't remove all my minions fast enough.
It sounds like quite a balanced deck, but I guess the games you lose is when the mana curve you draw is complete bonkers. The games were you start with cards you can't play and then end up with top decking undertakers and zombie chows. At least for me that's the reason I went for either mass removal (my control Warrior is 60% removal) or complete late game (no decent turn 1 and 2 plays except for a lucky removal).
It's still quite hard to find the balance of how greedy I can make my decks while keeping a consistent winrate (not always winning because of topdecking lucky answers). But that's the fun part of Hearthstone :) at least for me it is.

Golden Hamster

Neo Member
Any tips for getting far in arena? I get some really strong decks but the most I've ever made it is 6 wins and that was with a really lucky priest deck. Any suggestions on how to win more?

Control paladin has a good match up vs midrange hunters, but rough vs face hunters.

Any tips for getting far in arena? I get some really strong decks but the most I've ever made it is 6 wins and that was with a really lucky priest deck. Any suggestions on how to win more?

There are a couple sites that can help with arenas. Also amaz still runs 1 arena at the end of his stream pretty much each day and you can learn from just watching others draft and run arena.

Zemm

Can we fucking PLEASE get a blitz mode with a 15 sec timer. I swear there are people that only play to try and get wins vs people quitting because they let turn 1 and 2 go to the rope.

KingKiller

Neo Member
Can we fucking PLEASE get a blitz mode with a 15 sec timer. I swear there are people that only play to try and get wins vs people quitting because they let turn 1 and 2 go to the rope.

People doing this in Arena. They are the reason it's a good thing there is no voice chat.

Fixed1979

This would be excellent for the first few turns, but I could see my already poor win/loss ratio drop even more if it was 15 seconds every turn all the way through.

EDIT: For anyone who signed up in the tournament, brackets have been posted and we're ready to get underway.

This is why I play in windowed mode and do other things whilst I wait

imBask

Banned
Hearthstone is a "watching a stream" type of game, you can't play this game without doing something else at the same time and I find it perfect that way.

johnsmith

remember me
Playing while distracted is a great way to lower your win rate. I have some music in the background. But anything more than that and you are disadvantaging yourself. You can tell a lot off what your opponent is mousing over.

Not a big deal if you're just doing quests but if you're going for legend you need to pay attention.

Yeah I've definitely had a couple of people whose game plan is to play right before the wire burns out every turn. If it's Arena I make a point of playing my absolute best and giving nothing away against them, but it's pretty effective against me in ranked where I don't care much if I win or lose.

Try this. Set a 15 second timer and every time you go over 15 seconds, just concede.

You'll see that it is a terrible idea to have a blitz mode after you lose a couple matches lol

I was just in a match with a Ramp Druid. He got off both Wild Growths within 2-4 turns and was gaining a huge lead. I eventually got Fuegen and Stalagg on the board, he had a 10 attack Ancient of War that had been hiding behind some taunts for a turn or two. He played Alexstrasza and knocked me down to 15 health and then hit my face for 10 with the AoW. I played Cleave, traded Fuegen for the AoW, Executed Alex, hit face with Stalagg, and armored. He played Big Game Hunter and killed Stalagg, giving me a Thaddius, then used his hero power. I played Sylvanas, killed the BGH, and armored again. He hit me with Swipe to the face and then hero powered. I played Kel'Thuzad, armored and hit face with my board. Then he did one of the funniest things I've seen in this game:

LV81bB4l.png

kwaFl9Vl.png

That's him playing a Deathwing that cleared my board and his hand, but then was stolen by Sylvanas. He immediately conceded.

Do Better

1/3 of my matches have been against Hunter so far on NA. I feel like the snake trap hunter deck is the toughest hunter deck to beat and ranks 16-17 on NA are real right now. I haven't played against much Zoolock yet, but I got blown up by a Murlock deck.

Acinixys

1/3 of my matches have been against Hunter so far on NA. I feel like the snake trap hunter deck is the toughest hunter deck to beat and ranks 16-17 on NA are real right now. I haven't played against much Zoolock yet, but I got blown up by a Murlock deck.

Ive been experimenting with a ton of decks lately trying to bring my winrate up and this deck SHREDS hunters/zoolocks so hard. Shaman is really overlooked. He seems to always be clumped into the Druid corner of not good enough so people ignore him

Dancing Swords is so strong imo. 4/4 on turn 3 (or even 2 with coin) forces them to blow their removal or be willing to eat a shitload of damage the next turn

Plus Doomhammer + Rockbiter + Lava Burst is an easy 16 damage and has won me many hopeless games

Do Better

If only undertaker could fit in that deck

I just drafted a paladin deck with no late game. 0-3 incoming

My arena results have been terrible lately anyway.

Don't forget unleash the hounds. They obviously went to the blue shell school of game design.

i understand adding some excitement, but the outcome of a game which is dominated by a patient and skilled player just completely flips when these cards are played. being punished for good play is probably my biggest gaming pet peeve.

i understand adding some excitement, but the outcome of a game which is dominated by a patient and skilled player just completely flips when these cards are played. being punished for good play is probably my biggest gaming pet peeve.

Isn't the other player being patient and skilled by waiting for you to drop a 4th minion?

Cipherr

That's him playing a Deathwing that cleared my board and his hand, but then was stolen by Sylvanas. He immediately conceded.

Thats what he gets. I hate deathwing. Nothing worse than a "Oh holy shit I played so bad I have nothing resembling a board presence, my good cards all got traded properly by my opponent leaving me with a shitty hand, BUT ITS OKAY BECAUSE THIS CARD WIPES IT ALL AND GIVES ME ANOTHER SHOT ANYWAY".

Fuck that card. You actually never want that card if you are playing well. Its literally only usable if you have fucked the game you are in and you are losing horribly.

johnsmith

remember me
Polymorph and hex are undercosted as fuck.

Why the fuck is hex only 3 mana when assassinate costs 5?

They should both cost 6 mana, because they cancel out deathrattles.

aborath

Neo Member
Did they nerf arena reward packs? I've gotten a grand total of one epic, zero legendaries, and four or fives rares over the few weeks since I came back. Is paying cash pretty much the only way to get legendaries now?

johnsmith

remember me
Did they nerf arena reward packs? I've gotten a grand total of one epic, zero legendaries, and four or fives rares over the few weeks since I came back. Is paying cash pretty much the only way to get legendaries now?

Arena packs are the exact same thing than regular packs.

they need to cost low mana so idiots are tempted to use them early on inconvenient minions instead your actual threats

Thats what he gets. I hate deathwing. Nothing worse than a "Oh holy shit I played so bad I have nothing resembling a board presence, my good cards all got traded properly by my opponent leaving me with a shitty hand, BUT ITS OKAY BECAUSE THIS CARD WIPES IT ALL AND GIVES ME ANOTHER SHOT ANYWAY".

Fuck that card. You actually never want that card if you are playing well. Its literally only usable if you have fucked the game you are in and you are losing horribly.

I think that might be what happened. I was losing the whole game, but he was running out of steam towards the end, probably because he drew a Deathwing that was just sitting in his hand doing fuck all for half the game. Although he clearly misplayed. He discarded a Black Knight and a Mark of the Wild. He should've Marked KT and then removed him with BK, but it turned out alright for me in the end, so I'm not complaining. But until that Deathwing dropped, I just knew that he had Force of Nature and Savage Roar. Druids always have that shit right when they need it.

no because they don't make a strategic choice to take a particular minion. it either backfires completely or swings the game. it's dumb as fuck.

But they are often making a strategic choice as well as capitalizing on your mistake of over-extending. A strategic choice can include a lot of risk for big pay offs.

MCT is hardly ever seen in constructed, so I am going to presume it was arena, where you should know to play around MCT when possible. If they pressured you into it, that is strategic. If you walked into it, that was a mistake.

Well to be fair both hex and polymorph do leave behind a minion and even that small minion can be leveraged into a big deal from time to time. At the very least the frog is absorbing 1 damage but many times even more than that. Polymorph often ends up being a 6 mana removal due to using fireblast to remove the 1/1. I don't think it is insignificant that the spells have those small downsides.

Plus I don't really think they intended cards to be 1:1:1 strength like people often suggest, especially among class cards. Hex > poly > assassinate. And I think that is fine frankly.

johnsmith

remember me
Well to be fair both hex and polymorph do leave behind a minion and even that small minion can be leveraged into a big deal from time to time. At the very least the frog is absorbing 1 damage but many times even more than that. Polymorph often ends up being a 6 mana removal due to using fireblast to remove the 1/1. I don't think it is insignificant that the spells have those small downsides.

Plus I don't really think they intended cards to be 1:1:1 strength like people often suggest, especially among class cards. Hex > poly > assassinate. And I think that is fine frankly.

When literally every shaman deck plays hex, and literally no rogue deck plays assasinate, I think you obviously have a big problem in how these cards are costed vs their benefit.

But they are often making a strategic choice as well as capitalizing on your mistake of over-extending. A strategic choice can include a lot of risk for big pay offs.

MCT is hardly ever seen in constructed, so I am going to presume it was arena, where you should know to play around MCT when possible. If they pressured you into it, that is strategic. If you walked into it, that was a mistake.

get off blizzard's balls bruh

Haunted

Also consider the (new and still rare, admittedly) cases where Assassinate triggers a positive deathrattle for you (i.e. Zombie Chow, Deathlord, Dancing Swords), but Hex and Poly remove that upside of the card.

Deadly Shot on an empty board, now that's the best of both worlds.

Cipherr

When literally every shaman deck plays hex, and literally no rogue deck plays assasinate, I think you obviously have a big problem in how these cards are costed vs their benefit.

Naturalize is another one. Rarely see a druid play it. Cost me a win today in constructed Play mode while I was doing my quests because I didnt plan against it. Shocked me that he had it, took out my taunts and went face for the win. Drew cards from it, but it didn't matter since he killed me.

johnsmith

remember me
Naturalize is another one. Rarely see a druid play it. Cost me a win today in constructed Play mode while I was doing my quests because I didnt plan against it. Shocked me that he had it, took out my taunts and went face for the win. Drew cards from it, but it didn't matter since he killed me.

I've heard they run naturalize on asian servers. I tinkered with it for a bit in my druid deck. I definitely think it has it's uses. Lets you use the combo and destroy a taunt on turn 10, which very few people expect.

Oh god, so embarrassing to lose to shitty gimmicky decks at rank 19. Just lost to a guy who mark of the wild a questing adventurer and I was playing miracle with a hand full of dead cards.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

The game needs cards that can punish a player for overextending. Otherwise zoo-type decks would dominate the meta, and it would all come down to who goes first and who got the best draws in the early game and got the early tempo advantage.

If players are forced to make a decision as to whether or not they should play a card, that increases the skill ceiling of the game. Otherwise, playing minions becomes a brainless act.

Minsc

Gold Member
The game needs cards that can punish a player for overextending. Otherwise zoo-type decks would dominate the meta, and it would all come down to who goes first and who got the best draws in the early game and got the early tempo advantage.

If players are forced to make a decision as to whether or not they should play a card, that increases the skill ceiling of the game. Otherwise, playing minions becomes a brainless act.

This and just play more stuff like the eggs, caine, harvest golem etc, instead of big minions that just sit there looking pretty on the board.

Otherwise, just read brawl as "destroy all minions except for the one that benefits your opponent the most." Then there's no longer any RNG in the card. If you assume Brawl will always leave the minion alive that gives you the worst possible outcome, and play aroud that, you'll never have to deal with the RNG upsetting you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom