• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys can you help me please?, I just got into Hearthstone and I have a couple of questions.

1. Can you advice me a deck for my playstyle? I have been a Magic player for a long time (since Mirrodin), My favorite strategy is aggro control with a big emphasis on tempo, I disrupt my opponent's plans meanwhile I beat him with cheap efficient creatures, decks like Jund, B/W Tokens and Death and Taxes are my type of thing, which deck and wich character in Hearthstone fit in this class?

2. I have got curious about Murlocs, since they remind me of the goblins decks in Magic, are they any good?

Thanks.

Guys can you help me please?, I just got into Hearthstone and I have a couple of questions.

1. Can you advice me a deck for my playstyle? I have been a Magic player for a long time (since Mirrodin), My favorite strategy is aggro control with a big emphasis on tempo, I disrupt my opponent's plans meanwhile I beat him with cheap efficient creatures, decks like Jund, B/W Tokens and Death and Taxes are my type of thing, which deck and wich character in Hearthstone fit in this class?

2. I have got curious about Murlocs, since they remind me of the goblins decks in Magic, are they any good?

Thanks.

1. Zoo. It's kind of weak right now, but it's exactly what you just described.

2. Murlocs are terrible.

Onyxia is surprisingly good in Druid constructed.
I'm running this cheeky deck:

x2 Savage Roar
x2 Power of the Wild
x2 Dark Wispers
x1 Onyxia
x2 Force of nature

You can imagine the other cards to supplement it.

Turn 9 Onyxia on an empty board is very useful. At that point, usually board clear spells are already used up, and the 1/1 minions find something to smash into with a boost.

I discovered this a while ago as well. I only have one Force of Nature, but Onyxia often forced the choice between killing all the Whelps with AOE or killing the big body. Either way, you could do crazy damage with the combo the next turn with either a 10 damage Onyxia or an army of 3 damage Whelps. I wasn't having good results with the deck overall, but that combo was pretty effective, and if I ever go back to Ramp, I'll try it again.

Zoolock fits the description pretty well. There is no real taxes portion of the deck though. Well, I guess 1 - Loatheb, causes your opponent's spells to cost +5 mana for the next turn only.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Onyxia is surprisingly good in Druid constructed.
I'm running this cheeky deck:

x2 Savage Roar
x2 Power of the Wild
x2 Dark Wispers
x1 Onyxia
x2 Force of nature

You can imagine the other cards to supplement it.

Turn 9 Onyxia on an empty board is very useful. At that point, usually board clear spells are already used up, and the 1/1 minions find something to smash into with a boost.

Yeah I think there has always been an argument for Onyxia for in a combo Druid deck. I'm thinking she'll find her way back into the meta if theres a midrange dragon combo Druid that emerges.

_DrMario_

I just lost to a warrior who pulled Rag, Dr Boom, Baron Geddon, Alex, Sylvanas and Grommash one after the other.

Like WTF am I supposed to do. Fucking game. I'm Rank 16 ffs, fuck outta here with that shit.

ZealousD

I just lost to a warrior who pulled Rag, Dr Boom, Baron Geddon, Alex, Sylvanas and Grommash one after the other.

Like WTF am I supposed to do. Fucking game. I'm Rank 16 ffs, fuck outta here with that shit.

That's pretty standard control warrior. There are cheaper decks that counter it, like Mech Mage or Druid.

G.ZZZ

Antonidas (esp. stealthed) and Jaraxxus by themselves destroy Mill/Fatigue decks. Chakky got really unlucky that Lifecoach got those cards out on time because if they are pulled early then the match becomes easy.

Those two Warlock matches didn't do him any favor though. The Druid combo is simply better than the Warlock combo. That deck needs tuning because it's not his playstyle.

Tbh any deck who play LOT of fatties who dodge BGH are problematics for mill, because it usually play only 3-4 hard removal spells. The worst deck for mill is imho druids because of how it play fat creatures which dodge a lot of your board clears and can win even if you're a 20+ life easily with FoN+ innervate+ Savage which they will have since they'll see their whole deck.

Working on a new pally deck that seems to be working good so far. I don't quite want to call it an aggro deck, as it's more just early game control (using divine shield minions and trying to get max knife juggler value to control early game). Equality ensures that the stray control warrior or handlock doesn't stand much chance.

Debating putting abusive sergeants into it to give it some more oomph against mid range decks... just not sure what I can take out.

Tacitus_

I know he ropes almost every turn, but I really enjoy watching Lifecoach. Especially his stream where he explains his thought process and plays, etc.

It's good to think about your plays, but the turn in his last game where he had antonidas on board and two fireballs in his hand absolutely did not need to be roped. You fireball face twice and get those fireballs back and pop his iceblock.

Watching him play is
most of the time

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Working on a new pally deck that seems to be working good so far. I don't quite want to call it an aggro deck, as it's more just early game control (using divine shield minions and trying to get max knife juggler value to control early game). Equality ensures that the stray control warrior or handlock doesn't stand much chance.

Debating putting abusive sergeants into it to give it some more oomph against mid range decks... just not sure what I can take out.

Knife Juggler followed by a Muster on turn 3 is a really strong start for a pally. Especially if you can then combo into Quartermaster via coin or on turn 5. That's basically the pally aggro dream right there.

Abusive is certainly worth a consideration IMO if you're going the early game route. If you run enough Divine Shields you might consider a Blood Knight for your mid-late game oomph. Dropping a 6/6 or 9/9 really turns the tide if they don't have an immediate answer.

ctpal.png

This is what I am running currently. More of an old school paladin build.

There is a lot of flexibility I feel with the deck. I am currently 11-4 (73% w/l) with this version. I just haven't been playing enough lately to get a ton of stats but no class has a >50% winrate vs this so far, except rogue of course. Just basically accept you'll lose like 70% of matches against rogue and even when they are terrible rogue players it is very difficult to win if they get a sprint in the first 10 or so cards.

Knife Juggler followed by a Muster on turn 3 is a really strong start for a pally. Especially if you can then combo into Quartermaster via coin or on turn 5. That's basically the pally aggro dream right there.

It would be a dream for aggro paladin, but aggro paladin actually doesn't run quartermaster.

edit:
Also to note, I'm sitting at about a 60% win rate with paladin as a class this month. So I don't think paladin has it as bad right now as some people might think. I did a good amount of testing this month so some things worked and somethings didn't work so much.

I can't wait to make a dragon based paladin deck.

Abusive is certainly worth a consideration IMO if you're going the early game route. If you run enough Divine Shields you might consider a Blood Knight for your mid-late game oomph. Dropping a 6/6 or 9/9 really turns the tide if they don't have an immediate answer.

The problem is finding the room while keeping utility... May be worth removing the haunted creeper for it... I'm trying to find a balance between aggro and early control. Not a huge fan of 'to the face' and it wouldn't really work for pally anyways, so trying to keep the early game minions alive as long as possible is the theme I'm going for. It working really well so far. I know blessing of kings has dropped out of favor for a lot of pally decks, but with keeping the early game minions alive (regularly have 3-4 minions out by turn 3/4) it works very well.

http://imgur.com/IqYAx97 is what I have so far. I might remove the wild pyromancer since it's slightly anti-synergistic... I just worry about removing my second equality activator... But thinking on it I have a lot of cheap minions at that point to use it with... I think I will switch them out, just have to figure out with what.

The blood knight suggestion may be a really good one for it.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
The problem is finding the room while keeping utility... May be worth removing the haunted creeper for it... I'm trying to find a balance between aggro and early control. Not a huge fan of 'to the face' and it wouldn't really work for pally anyways, so trying to keep the early game minions alive as long as possible is the theme I'm going for. It working really well so far. I know blessing of kings has dropped out of favor for a lot of pally decks, but with keeping the early game minions alive (regularly have 3-4 minions out by turn 3/4) it works very well.

is what I have so far. I might remove the wild pyromancer since it's slightly anti-synergistic... I just worry about removing my second equality activator... But thinking on it I have a lot of cheap minions at that point to use it with... I think I will switch them out, just have to figure out with what.
http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/141499-tides-of-battle is a paladin deck I designed pre-undertaker nerf that got me into top 16 legend and had similar ideas of early board control via divine shield and buffs.

It's a bit stale now though in a post-undertaker world. I don't think the purifier/egg package would work anymore. But maybe you can steal some of my old ideas to adapt into your deck. Like I believe any aggressive paladin running double equality should be running 1 avenging wrath as a finisher.

I think blessing of might is better than abusive sergeant in a deck running 2x cog hammer.

And I think bomb lobbers could be really good in your kind of deck. Do you really find you need the healbot if you are the one controlling the board?

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/141499-tides-of-battle is a paladin deck I designed pre-undertaker nerf that got me into top 16 legend and had similar ideas of early board control via divine shield and buffs.

It's a bit stale now though in a post-undertaker world. I don't think the purifier/egg package would work anymore. But maybe you can steal some of my old ideas to adapt into your deck. Like I believe any aggressive paladin running double equality should be running 1 avenging wrath as a finisher.

I think blessing of might is better than abusive sergeant in a deck running 2x cog hammer.

And I think bomb lobbers could be really good in your kind of deck. Do you really find you need the healbot if you are the one controlling the board?

Would the blessing be because I'm expecting my minions to be alive through their attack? (so the value comes not from the +2 and having a 2/1 on the board, but rather getting 2x +3 damage from using it on a divine shield target?)

I tossed a single heal bot in because in my first few matches I was getting low on health, but yeah I haven't run into many situations so I can see sitting one out.

Avenging wrath probably wouldn't be a bad idea, I'm just worried about sitting on too many high cost cards because an initial bad draw from having too many 4-5cost cards basically means an instant concede... but if I'm trading out the healbot for it, that would probably be okay.

I might try giving up the quartermasters for the bomb lobbers... In theory the QM should be pretty good, but they just don't seem to ever pan out since I can't really play them on turn 5 in most cases.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
http://imgur.com/IqYAx97 is what I have so far. I might remove the wild pyromancer since it's slightly anti-synergistic... I just worry about removing my second equality activator... But thinking on it I have a lot of cheap minions at that point to use it with... I think I will switch them out, just have to figure out with what.

The blood knight suggestion may be a really good one for it.

With only the coghammer, minibot, and argent protector shields in there I'm not sure Blood Knight is worth it yet vs other stuff. If you're taking out the Wild Pyro maybe some Argent Commanders for a late game finish? That would also synergize with a blood knight. Its a tough balance for the kind of deck you're running. I think ideally with 2 other DS minions replacing the Pyros you'd have enough to run a Blood Knight in there.

A wider point, would it be worth running 2 Divine Favor? I used to run 2 in my Aggro Pally a few seasons ago, pre GvG but maybe it has gotta less useful with all the mech mage and hunters around.

With only the coghammer, minibot, and argent protector shields in there I'm not sure Blood Knight is worth it yet vs other stuff. If you're taking out the Wild Pyro maybe some Argent Commanders for a late game finish? That would also synergize with a blood knight. Its a tough balance for the kind of deck you're running. I think ideally with 2 other DS minions replacing the Pyros you'd have enough to run a Blood Knight in there.

A wider point, would it be worth running 2 Divine Favor? I used to run 2 in my Aggro Pally a few seasons ago, pre GvG but maybe it has gotta less useful with all the mech mage and hunters around.

Even when I ran 2, I only ever seem to get 1 off, the jeeves tends to be more useful since it doesn't matter my opponent's board state, I can get cards.

ZealousD

I'm trying to find a balance between aggro and early control.

So a zoo-like deck basically? Zombie chow and healbot feel like mistakes in that kind of deck. Zombie chow will eliminate any early health you ping off your opponent. Healbot is a stall card, when you need to push your advantage as an aggro deck. Your deck needs to gain early initiative so pyro is a mistake. Anytime you're trying to gain that much lost ground as an aggro deck you have already lost.

Truesilver Champion is probably going to get you better results than BoK.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Would the blessing be because I'm expecting my minions to be alive through their attack? (so the value comes not from the +2 and having a 2/1 on the board, but rather getting 2x +3 damage from using it on a divine shield target?)

I tossed a single heal bot in because in my first few matches I was getting low on health, but yeah I haven't run into many situations so I can see sitting one out.

Avenging wrath probably wouldn't be a bad idea, I'm just worried about sitting on too many high cost cards because an initial bad draw from having too many 4-5cost cards basically means an instant concede... but if I'm trading out the healbot for it, that would probably be okay.
The idea with blessing of might is that against anything other than a mage, a high attack divine shield taunt minion can be really devastating. It depends a lot on the matchups and situations but it creates a lot of situations where you can coghammer + blessing and hit face and force your opponent to trade into your minions in order to close the game out faster.

Similar in concept to a zoo deck, which usually aggressively controls the board, playing argus and then switching to face damage because you create taunts in such a way that your opponent will have to make bad trades for you.
I might try giving up the quartermasters for the bomb lobbers... In theory the QM should be pretty good, but they just don't seem to ever pan out since I can't really play them on turn 5 in most cases.
I recommend trying out 1 quartermaster. The problem I always had with 2x of them is that you want to combo them with muster. But you also want to play your first muster on turn 3. And you so end up in this situation where in the mid game your deck contains 1 muster and 2 quartermasters which isn't a great deck composition. Yeah by taking out a quartermaster you will get the combo even less, but you are also less likely to have a hand full of dead expensive cards when you want to play your divine favour/jeeves

edit: If you like the 'idea' of quarter master you could also experiment with 1 quartermaster + 1 enhanc-o-mechano

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong

That's the deck Warrior needs right now to be even somewhat competitive. Class is weirdly broken in a bad way I'm the current meta. Want some stress free easy wins? Try Rogue, Face Hunter, or Mech Mage. They're the hottest thing on the streets bro

egruntz

shelaughz
Despite Hunter being my favorite class, I absolutely hate playing face Hunter. It's just not fun. I largely prefer midrange. But I keep losing in the current meta. Makes things difficult. :(

CoolOff

I'm so fucking tired of Dr. Boom. Like, it's way beyond "lol this card is OP how silly" now, I just roll my eyes whenever it gets played.

Even when I play it.

WHY ARE YOU SO FUCKING SLOW IN CHANGING CARDS BLIZZARD.

johnsmith

remember me
That's the deck Warrior needs right now to be even somewhat competitive. Class is weirdly broken in a bad way I'm the current meta. Want some stress free easy wins? Try Rogue, Face Hunter, or Mech Mage. They're the hottest thing on the streets bro
Rogue is hardly stress free. Even when you win it feels like you barely pulled it off. Rare are the games where you cruise to an easy win. I switched from oil rogue to control warrior and have had a much easier time since all I seem to play is face hunter and mech mage, both of which favor control warrior. Though if you're facing a lot of paladins and midrange hunters instead then oil rogue would be a better choice.

Are legendaries more common in Arena now or something? I am not exaggerating when I say that my first four games in one run and my first three in another were against people with legendaries. Two people even had 2. I wasn't even on a win streak or anything. Meanwhile I get offered a choice of epics with pirate and crab -_-

Dahbomb

Tbh any deck who play LOT of fatties who dodge BGH are problematics for mill, because it usually play only 3-4 hard removal spells. The worst deck for mill is imho druids because of how it play fat creatures which dodge a lot of your board clears and can win even if you're a 20+ life easily with FoN+ innervate+ Savage which they will have since they'll see their whole deck.
Druid Mill decks have Naturalize for hard removal though plus BGH.

But I do agree that Ramp/Combo Druid is among the worst match ups for Mill Druid.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Rogue is hardly stress free. Even when you win it feels like you barely pulled it off. Rare are the games where you cruise to an easy win. I switched from oil rogue to control warrior and have had a much easier time since all I seem to play is face hunter and mech mage, both of which favor control warrior. Though if you're facing a lot of paladins and midrange hunters instead then oil rogue would be a better choice.
True. I guess it depends on your threshold, and what you consider stressful. I find that if I win with Rogue, it's before turn 10, whereas control warrior just really gets going late game, and that's only if he fucking manages to survive the barrage and get the right late-game draws.

Joco

I agree. Warrior is the weakest class at the moment IMO.

Getting back into Hearthstone after a long break. Rank 18 with an old Pally deck vs. Mill Druid. Going well - both Starfalls and Swipes gone, I haven't lost a single card to overdraw, have a strong board established. Bit low on HP at 14, but opponent is only slightly healthier. Out comes none other than Deathwing! I have no play other than to Faceless it, drop a Spectral Knight and leave him the choice of going face (leaving me at 1 thanks to Druid hero power) or trading down. He choose to trade! Horrible mistake. He dies two turns later.

Is Mill Druid with Deathwing a thing - or was that just a weird one-off?

KePoW

Banned

what classes/decks is Control Warrior weak against?

johnsmith

remember me
what classes/decks is Control Warrior weak against?

Combo druid and midrange hunter are the worst matchups by far. Druid because eventually you won't be able to keep his board clean and you'll get comboed down. Midrange because it plays too many sticky minions. Shredder, sludge, savannah, boom is just an insane 4 turns that's impossible to keep up with and every hunter seems to always have.

KePoW

Banned
Combo druid and midrange hunter are the worst matchups by far. Druid because eventually you won't be able to keep his board clean and you'll get comboed down. Midrange because it plays too many sticky minions. Shredder, sludge, savannah, boom is just an insane 4 turns that's impossible to keep up with and every hunter seems to always have.

ok thx

Dahbomb

Yup this.

ZealousD

It just sucks for newish players who don't have 10,000 dust to have to face these kinds of decks at the early ranks. And it happens quite a bit.

Control Warrior is the most expensive competitive deck in the game. Every single deck that counters it runs fewer legendaries than it does. You didn't lose to legendaries, you lost because you were probably less skilled as a player and maybe your deck didn't have a good matchup against it.

Minsc

Gold Member
Nothing like top decking an Azure Drake from an empty hand vs Jaraxxus and a full board of 7 minions, drawing a Lightning Storm from the Drake, rolling a spell totem, then clearing their board minus 2 creatures to keep you alive for another round after they hit face a lot and shadowflame your drake / totem away. Next turn you top deck your only crackle, roll a second spell totem to replace the one you just lost, and hit them with the crackle for the exact lethal (6), thanks to the spell totem, when otherwise they'd have won on their next turn.

That's Shaman at its best lol.

KePoW

Banned
Nothing like top decking an Azure Drake from an empty hand vs Jaraxxus and a full board of 7 minions, drawing a Lightning Storm from the Drake, rolling a spell totem, then clearing their board minus 2 creatures to keep you alive for another round after they hit face a lot and shadowflame your drake / totem away. Next turn you top deck your only crackle, roll a second spell totem to replace the one you just lost, and hit them with the crackle for the exact lethal (6), thanks to the spell totem, when otherwise they'd have won on their next turn.

That's Shaman at its best lol.

hahha this is exactly why I wish chat were in the game. I like to talk in MP games

Fixed1979

Just pulled Al'Akir with double flametoungue and double rockbiter, 26dmg gg. I'll probably never see it again but it felt so good.

Dahbomb

I know it's just a joke, but I can't get over how bad of a value that troll deck is. 3 cards to do less then just boom. Better off with just war golem.

I wonder if blizzard will ever make boom bots a card on their own, I'm sure they would get a bunch of play.
Probably not as much because of so many Mages in Arena. But the card by itself is a 1 drop worth picking because it has the ability to trade up.

And the point of the video was to show how balanced Dr Balanced is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom