• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Lava shock is outstanding. I've wanted a card like that for shaman since forever.
If you play a 3 overload card this becomes -1 mana, deal 2 damage. Can hit face as well as minions. When its good, its better than backstab. And screws with your opponent's ability to predict what you can do on your overloaded turns.

Axe flinger is... interesting. Enemy hero only though is kind of bad. It seems like blizzard is pushing for a mid range warrior running patrons and flingers. But I'm skeptical that it will work out.

Fixed1979

Lava shock is outstanding. I've wanted a card like that for shaman since forever.
If you play a 3 overload card this becomes -1 mana, deal 2 damage. Can hit face as well as minions. When its good, its better than backstab. And screws with your opponent's ability to predict what you can do on your overloaded turns.

Axe flinger is... interesting. Enemy hero only though is kind of bad. It seems like blizzard is pushing for a mid range warrior running patrons and flingers. But I'm skeptical that it will work out.

Yeah, but there's only 2 cards with 3 overload and one of them doesn't get used. I can see it being useful on turn 4 if you player feral spirits on turn 3...I don't know. I guess if you have a bunch overloaded from multiple cards on the previous turn...

slayn

Kinda lends credence to that leaked warrior weapon too, since it fits that archetype as well.
I'd be surprised if there ends up being more than 1 card/class.
There are 17 bosses (granting 17 neutral cards) + 5 legends one for each wing + 9 class challenges granted class cards = the 31 new cards.

Levi

Banned
Gonna have to try Axe flinger plus grim patron plus bouncing blade at least once.

It'd be great if there was a viable warrior archetype besides control.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, but there's only 2 cards with 3 overload and one of them doesn't get used. I can see it being useful on turn 4 if you player feral spirits on turn 3...I don't know.

It's basically removal to follow up early overload turns like lightning shock, crackle, or doom hammer. Feral wolves is more usable due to this as well as you said.

You can also play neptulon earlier this way without it being totally crippling.

slayn

Yeah, but there's only 2 cards with 3 overload and one of them doesn't get used. I can see it being useful on turn 4 if you player feral spirits on turn 3...I don't know.
Or you play multiple overload cards in a turn. like feral + bolt. It also allows you to make big power plays where like on turn 8 you use all your overload cards and get 6+ overload and then next turn lava burst gives it all back.

Or like a turn 10 neptulan + feral. Then next turn lava burst for -3 mana.

Ways to get extra mana will *always* be powerful.

Maybe now,but I bet people will start playing Neptulon once lava axe is out.
Also,you can play more than one card with overload in one turn,which accumulates to 3 mana or more.

Fixed1979

It's basically removal to follow up early overload turns like lightning shock, crackle, or doom hammer. Feral wolves is more usable due to this as well as you said.

You can also play neptulon earlier this way without it being totally crippling.

Or you play multiple overload cards in a turn. like feral + bolt. It also allows you to make big power plays where like on turn 8 you use all your overload cards and get 6+ overload and then next turn lava burst gives it all back.

Or like a turn 10 neptulan + feral. Then next turn lava burst for -3 mana.

Also,you can play more than one card with overload in one turn,which accumulates to 3 mana or more.

Yeah, you're all correct, jumped the gun a bit early on my comment, for whatever reason the idea of playing multiple overload cards in one turn didn't occur to me lol...and I've been playing Shaman all week long, must be tired. It's actually a great utility card.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I see a lot of Neptulon actually, since filling your hand with four cards late game is still really strong.

This just makes it notably better.

I'm going to Lava Shock the ever-living shit out of everything. Also, Thalnos is gonna be my dude. Play Thalnos for 2-mana, cast a 3-damage Lava Shock onto anything for "free" if I played a Lightning Storm of Feral Spirit the turn before. Although, I guess I'd need the 2-mana available first to cast Lava Shock.

CoolOff

Lava Shock.

Fixed1979

I see a lot of Neptulon actually, since filling your hand with four cards late game is still really strong.

This just makes it notably better.

I love Neptulon in my deck, I find that most of the AoE clears have been used by that point in the game (unless it's a late draw) and worse case scenario on the following turn you can play at least 3 of the murlocs you draw, if you get the right synergy it's a nice way to quickly develop a board.

Szadek

Lava shock is not that good.
Without overload the card is terrible and even if you have overload it's usually not higher than 2 or 3.
If your overload is 2 it's basically a slight better,more situational backstep.

Maybe it leads to some shaman build that run way more overload cards, but currently it's not that great.
Every good midrange shaman deck already plays Neptulon.

There is nothing wrong with trying to make more archetypes available to warrior. In fact, I hope it happens for each class.

So, 2/5 isn't great stats but it does provide up to 10 direct hero damage from its text alone. We'll see. Making this card work will likely take a warrior deck in a new direction and that'll take careful consideration to really judge. Much more of a lets see how it does kind of evaluation.

Also, bouncing blades on this guy makes it a pyroblast to face. What if whirlwind, enrage, bouncing blades. Thats 5 damage from him, 2 damage from whirlwind, 7x2 from bouncing blades (if they all hit him of course) = 21 damage. I don't think it would be insane to see this guy show up in some midrange decks. But I don't see how he would benefit much in control warrior of course.

As for shaman, I think shaman players have been asking for something like this for a while. My first impression is that it can be quite good after those turns where you are pressured into playing 2 and sometimes 3 overload cards, although you must spend 2 mana to do so. So basically its only worth using if you unlock at least 3 overload crystals so the utility of this card is only worth using over crackle in those type of situations.

On the other hand, you can now use overload cards more freely, even when you aren't pressured, with the knowledge that you can free them up next turn. So the tempo advantage of overload card's have increased, and in hearthstone that generally is a great thing. Lets say on turn 7 you cast lightning bolt, feral spirits, and lightning storm. Next turn you can lava shock and fire elemental to take out their ancient of lore or some other 5 hp minion.

So yeah, I am a fan of lava shock.

Xanathus

Holy shit, Sjow got the worst possible Mech Mage hand vs Massan's Hunter, 2 Mad Scientists and 2 Mirror Entity. Still it's his fault for mulliganing away Annoy-o-tron.

edit: AND SJOW ACTUALLY WON WTF

slayn

Also, bouncing blades on this guy makes it a pyroblast to face.
IF the board is empty. The main value of burn is ignoring your opponent's board in order to close the game out. If you're playing against something like a mech mage, bouncing blade is not going to hit the flinger 5 times.

embalm

Anyone know if Lava Shock works only on the current turns locked mana(Overload from the last turn) or if it's the Next turns locked mana(Overload from plays you just completed)?

I can't imagine it's both and I would guess it's the current turns mana.

Fixed1979

Anyone know if Lava Shock works only on the current turns locked mana(Overload from the last turn) or if it's the Next turns locked mana(Overload from plays you just completed)?

I can't imagine it's both and I would guess it's the current turns mana.

I assumed it was the current turn, but not a bad question...if it actually unlocks "all" of the locked mana then it sounds like all of the locks would break (current turn and next turn), which would be insane.

EDIT: Ben Brode just confirmed it's both current turn and next turn.

Does Lava Shock clear overload for next turn, this turn or both?
Ben Brode: Both

IF the board is empty. The main value of burn is ignoring your opponent's board in order to close the game out. If you're playing against something like a mech mage, bouncing blade is not going to hit the flinger 5 times.

I think if you find yourself in this type of situation as a burn warrior or aggro warrior, you're probably going to do this and you're going to be okay with it. Because that 10 damage puts them into range of mortal strike, weapon smacks, and all the other burn and charge cards you are running.

You're thinking like a midrange/control that is maximizing damage output over the long term, whereas a burn warrior is maximizing damage every turn.

edit:
But sure, you're right. You won't often find yourself with an empty board. But when it does happen its pretty good. I'd even even with several minions on board you still might find yourself getting a lot of value out of this kind of combo. At the very least I mean to say it is something to consider as a burn warrior.

Rapstah

Axe Flinger + Commanding Shout + Bouncing Blade

Does "when this minion takes damage" trigger when it doesn't take damage because of Commanding Shout?

Loto

Since face hunter usually only runs explosive trap, traps usually aren't a problem. I just fight for board, try to reduce damage as much as possible early on, don't attack face when they have a secret up because it is likely explosive trap. You'll eventually want to proc the trap but you'll really want to do it when it is safe, like you have sufficient health to survive kill command + hero power, perhaps a taunt to protect from 1-2 charge minions as well.

Unlike mech mage, ctrl paladins don't really need to race against hunters to finish the match (even mech mage can be outlasted as long as they don't get crazy value off of antonidas like 4+ fireballs). The goal is to survive long enough for them to run out of steam and lack the ability to do continuous damage every turn. Then with heals I just continually put myself out of lethal range, until they either give up or my minions kill him. Usually face hunters give up pretty quickly, especially if they have a slow start.

I think ysera works pretty well in control warrior. But right now I'd wait and see what happens with the expansion before crafting much.

Thanks Mob. Keep posting your progression this month. Like seeing pally have success. Gratz on legend last month.

I made it to rank 4 last month, the journey continues for me.

Does "when this minion takes damage" trigger when it doesn't take damage because of Commanding Shout?

I thought about that, but I would imagine it doesn't trigger when it hits an immune minion because of really just precedence in other cards, even divine shield. When immune it pops up as a 0, so I'd say it isn't taking damage just for that reason.

But it would trigger it down to 1 hp.

embalm

I assumed it was the current turn, but not a bad question...if it actually unlocks "all" of the locked mana then it sounds like all of the locks would break (current turn and next turn), which would be insane.

That is flat out insane. The potential to unlock 5 or more mana will be easy.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
The shaman card clears all current and future overloads on the turn it is played :eek:

Levi

Banned
Looking at Naxx, Druid and Rogue are the only classes to get class cards that aren't in common use, but most Druids run Shade so it's not a big deal. I really hope they give Druid something better that is class specific this time.

Iryx

So we have one class card as a common and two of them as rares, and there hasn't been any imbalance in card rarity between classes so far, all classes have the same amount of commons/rares/etc, so I wonder if we're getting two cards per class in this expansion.

That'd would 13 cards to be neutral, and with the 5 legendaries basically guaranteed to be neutral, only 8 regular neutral cards seems like a pretty small amount.

slayn

That's insane, I was assuming it was current turn only

slayn

I believe if bouncing blade can't damage a minion (such as being at 1hp with commanding shout active), then that minion is no longer a valid target for bouncing blade.

Malice215

I thought the card was just okay and now that Brode clarified, it's going to be an auto-include for me also, especially now that I've been playing more Shaman to deal with the current meta.

Think of lava shock like an innervate/preparation type card. Except you are gaining potentially much more mana than innervate and preparation, with the exception it only works on overload cards. But you can use it to effect the overload of multiple turns as well. And it deals 2 damage. And you only really gain mana when you unload at least 3 overload crystals.

edit:
Lets imagine that you somehow manage to overload for 10 mana the next turn with 2 mana to spare your current turn. Lava shock and you just generated 8 mana and dealt 2 damage for 2 mana.

Rapstah

I believe if bouncing blade can't damage a minion (such as being at 1hp with commanding shout active), then that minion is no longer a valid target for bouncing blade.

This seems to be true, and in addition, Frothing Berserker doesn't gain damage off minions that don't take damage because of Commanding Shout, so Axe Flinger presumably works the same way.

My only concern with Lava Shock is that you're going to be able to burn through a lot more cards. You're going to need some serious card draw, more than just 2X Azure Drakes. What are some good card draw options for Shamans?

My only concern with Lava Shock is that you're going to be able to burn through a lot more cards. You're going to need some serious card draw, more than just 2X Azure Drakes. What are some good card draw options for Shamans?

Mana tide totem is seriously underrated as a card draw mechanic. I don't think shaman has a problem with card draw frankly.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
He has that totem that draws cards. Far Sight is a decent deck thiner. Toss in some loot horders and maybe Bloodmage, on top of the Drakes, maybe you would have a big enough draw engine. Then you just have to get over the issue of a somewhat weak early game, but you could maybe use Annoy-o-Trons and Feral Spirits to stall the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom