• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its main problem is that it's obscenely worthless against any form of aggro, and that shit just doesn't fly on the ladder. The obvious comparison is BGH who you can play on curve just fine while Rend is completely and utterly dead for the entirety of the match, which is particularly hurtful vs aggro where every early draw matters. The meta would have to make an unprecedented shift towards control to ever justify including this card.

Why is it obscenely worthless against any form of aggro? Even mech mage runs dr. boom and antonidas. Only against face aggro and who can say their entire deck doesn't have more than a few cards that is bad against aggro?

I think you're being a little bit silly tbh. Having a very strong anti-control card in your deck can actually help your deck focus a bit more on aggro since you've already got a strong leg up against control.

People are always surprised when mind control works in priest, despite it being heavy aggro and it really doesn't matter. You can't built your entire deck to be anti-aggro, just isn't worth it because the meta is never that heavy on aggro, despite people's perceptions.

jblank83

Get an amazing Warlock deck in arena, - game proceeds to match me with three people in a row who have everything they need to counter it. I can't even...

I went 0-3 yesterday with what I thought was a pretty decent Rogue deck. Every single time some Mage had exactly the cards they needed to stop me, including a fricking Arcane Explosion.

I was a little upset.

I went 0-3 yesterday with what I thought was a pretty decent Rogue deck. Every single time some Mage had exactly the cards they needed to stop me, including a fricking Arcane Explosion.

I was a little upset.

I think Blizzard is punishing me for just doing quests and not spending real money on the game. At least it feels like it sometimes.

Brofist

I just rage conceded an arena game. Opponent coins out a Murloc Tidehunter on turn 1, I pass, he plays another Tidehunter. I top deck a Mad Bomber, hits my face 3 times. Four 1 health minions and it hits my face 3 times.

Thing is I probably could have recovered, but I was like fuck this I'm out.

Joco

I feel like I've gotten progressively worse at this game. I've been playing nothing but control warrior the past couple months and am struggling to gain any winning consistency. It's not an issue of lacking cards, as I have all of the typical legendaries used in control warrior. I'm not a great player by any means but I don't think I'm terrible either. Whereas a couple months ago I topped out at rank 12 and had been hovering around ranks 13-14, this season I'm struggling to get anywhere past rank 18. It's frustrating, to say the least.

I think once I get my golden warrior (need about 10 more wins), I might try changing it up a lot.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Anyone know anything about not being able to log onto Hearthstone from an open Wi-Fi? I'm doing a long tour in the hospital (which only has an non password protected Wi Fi) and I can't get past the launch screen on Hearthstone on my iPad.

johnsmith

remember me
I feel like I've gotten progressively worse at this game. I've been playing nothing but control warrior the past couple months and am struggling to gain any winning consistency. It's not an issue of lacking cards, as I have all of the typical legendaries used in control warrior. I'm not a great player by any means but I don't think I'm terrible either. Whereas a couple months ago I topped out at rank 12 and had been hovering around ranks 13-14, this season I'm struggling to get anywhere past rank 18. It's frustrating, to say the least.

I think once I get my golden warrior (need about 10 more wins), I might try changing it up a lot.

What list are you running? Maybe your deck is too greedy? You need lots of early game minions and removal to be successful right now.

Maximo

Might be due to the Number of Players joining Hearthstone, I would assume that means you would get more people of greater skill getting into Ranked as *Most* average skilled players would stick to Normal Play. Plus with the rise of Streamers/Tournaments and more people watching *Pros* Play I assume that shift has made people want to get better at Hearthstone and do more ranked. Just my 2 Cents.
Plus the huge RNG Goblins vs Gnomes brought certainly didn't help.

bunbun777

This is the warrior deck I run definitely my most favorite

FGMpRgO.jpg

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
This is the warrior deck I run definitely my most favorite
I love how you have 2 Brawls and no Baron Geddon (which I think is a fairly useless card running control), I run the same thing. I don't have armor smiths though, I put in another whirlwind for crowd control/Acolyte/Grommash activation and I don't use Harrison, sub with Black Knight. I don't have Shredder or Ysera (I want Ysera), but I have Rag and Boom along with Sylvanas.

johnsmith

remember me
Geddon is amazing and can win you games if they can't remove him as it makes it almost impossible for your enemy to establish a board presence. Even if be does get removed you got value out of his AoE the turn he got played, and that's 1 less removal for Boom or Ragnaros.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Geddon is amazing and can win you games if they can't remove him as it makes it almost impossible for your enemy to establish a board presence. Even if be does get removed you got value out of his AoE the turn he got played, and that's 1 less removal for Boom or Ragnaros.

Yeah and even if he gets removed immediately, if you kill two minions with him that's a 3-for-1. Get value off of him the moment you play him and then bait the hard removal. He's also a great target to soak a BGH to open up the way for Dr. Boom, Ragnaros, and even Alexstrasza.

Anyone know anything about not being able to log onto Hearthstone from an open Wi-Fi? I'm doing a long tour in the hospital (which only has an non password protected Wi Fi) and I can't get past the launch screen on Hearthstone on my iPad.

Probably it's that the hospital network is blocking hearthstone, which would not be too unusual.

That is why Geddon is good. It has never not been removed instantly in the history of hearthstone, but the things that come after are generally much more lucky.

Double brawl might keep you in the game, but with two less big options it isn't necessarily going to help.

ZealousD

That is why Geddon is good. It has never not been removed instantly in the history of hearthstone, but the things that come after are generally much more lucky.

Yeah let's not kid ourselves. Geddon dies on your opponent's next turn like 95% of the time. 5hp is pretty low.

Joco

Not sure what sites you guys are using for your decklists so I'll just type it out, mana cost followed by card name and quantity (only if two are used):

*1 - Execute (2)
*1 - Shield Slam (2)
*1 - Whirlwind
*2 - Fiery War Axe (2)
*2 - Cruel Taskmaster (2)
*2 - Doomsayer
*2 - Ironbeak Owl
*3 - Shield Block
*3 - Acolyte of Pain (2)
*3 - Big Game Hunter
*4 - Death's Bite (2)
*4 - Kezan Mystic
*5 - Brawl
*5 - Harrison Jones
*5 - Sludge Belcher (2)
*6 - Shield Maiden (2)
*6 - Sylvanas Windrunner
*7 - Baron Geddon
*7 - Dr. Boom
*8 - Grommash Hellscream
*8 - Kel'Thuzad
*9 - Alexstrazsa

So a lot of this is pretty standard control warrior. A few choices I should probably explain my logic on:

Doomsayer - a low cost board clear in early game, particularly against mech mage. Often can be uneffective though as it is often silenced or taken out by other means. Still, buys a turn of not getting my face it.

Kezan Mystic - probably in the spot I've been struggling the most to find a good card in, have been changing between Spellbreaker for silence and Piloted Shredder, currently have settled on KM because of a lot of secret use I've come across, primarily from mages and hunters.

Kel'Thuzad - This one's a bit of a toss up for me. I could get rid of him and maybe add another 4 cost minion instead (or so I've been thinking), but there's nothing like clearing the board with your minions and then playing him to bring them all back. However is pretty much a dead card when played on an empty board, and as a control warrior that is frequently the case.

But anyway, I've really been struggling this season - any tips or ideas for changes would be welcome.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Not sure what sites you guys are using for your decklists so I'll just type it out, mana cost followed by card name and quantity (only if two are used):

*1 - Execute (2)
*1 - Shield Slam (2)
*1 - Whirlwind
*2 - Fiery War Axe (2)
*2 - Doomsayer
*2 - Ironbeak Owl
*3 - Shield Block
*3 - Acolyte of Pain (2)
*3 - Big Game Hunter
*4 - Death's Bite (2)
*4 - Kezan Mystic
*5 - Brawl
*5 - Harrison Jones
*5 - Sludge Belcher (2)
*6 - Shield Maiden (2)
*6 - Slyvanas Windrunner
*7 - Baron Geddon
*7 - Dr. Boom
*8 - Grommash Hellscream
*8 - Kel'Thuzad
*9 - Alexstrazsa

So a lot of this is pretty standard control warrior. A few choices I should probably explain my logic on:

Doomsayer - a low cost board clear in early game, particularly against mech mage. Often can be uneffective though as it is often silenced or taken out by other means. Still, buys a turn of not getting my face it.

Kezan Mystic - probably in the spot I've been struggling the most to find a good card in, have been changing between Spellbreaker for silence and Piloted Shredder, currently have settled on KM because of a lot of secret use I've come across, primarily from mages and hunters.

Kel'Thuzad - This one's a bit of a toss up for me. I could get rid of him and maybe add another 4 cost minion instead (or so I've been thinking), but there's nothing like clearing the board with your minions and then playing him to bring them all back. However is pretty much a dead card when played on an empty board, and as a control warrior that is frequently the case.

But anyway, I've really been struggling this season - any tips or ideas for changes would be welcome.

We had the same thought, but GAF told me to play Loatheb instead on my mage. Not sure for you.

Also I usually just screenshot my game then crop to post my deck list. :p

ZealousD

I wouldn't run Kelthuzad in Control Warrior. I think he only makes sense if you're running some taunts other than sludge belcher.

*1 - Execute (2)
*1 - Shield Slam (2)
*1 - Whirlwind
*2 - Fiery War Axe (2)
*2 - Doomsayer
*2 - Ironbeak Owl
*3 - Shield Block
*3 - Acolyte of Pain (2)
*3 - Big Game Hunter
*4 - Death's Bite (2)
*4 - Kezan Mystic
*5 - Brawl
*5 - Harrison Jones
*5 - Sludge Belcher (2)
*6 - Shield Maiden (2)
*6 - Slyvanas Windrunner
*7 - Baron Geddon
*7 - Dr. Boom
*8 - Grommash Hellscream
*8 - Kel'Thuzad
*9 - Alexstrazsa

Your deck really does seem like standard control warrior, but is there a reason you're not running armorsmith?

Joco

Your deck really does seem like standard control warrior, but is there a reason you're not running armorsmith?

I had been running them for a while but decided to take them out in favor of adding another Acolyte of Pain (I previously only was using one) and Doomsayer. Sure, sometimes I had luck racking up 20-30 points of armor with them, but more often it just seemed like they weren't great options. The best reason to keep them (or so I felt) would be for Shield Slam synergy, but between Shield Block, Shieldmaiden and warrior's hero power I didn't see the need for them.

I had been running them for a while but decided to take them out in favor of adding another Acolyte of Pain (I previously only was using one) and Doomsayer. Sure, sometimes I had luck racking up 20-30 points of armor with them, but more often it just seemed like they weren't great options. The best reason to keep them (or so I felt) would be for Shield Slam synergy, but between Shield Block, Shieldmaiden and warrior's hero power I didn't see the need for them.

I think rather than critiquing your deck, you should probably describe the match ups you're having the most problems with. I mean, kezan is great if you face nothing but mech mage and hunter, but it's pointless if all you play against is druid and paladin.

Just YOLO'd and crafted everything i needed for Randuin.

Need to inject some fun into the game. Ladder can be irritating.

Edit: First game in casual and i draw face hunter. Crushed him with mad/madder bombers and won with a mind games arcane golem. Felt good.

Edit 2: Hahahaha. Clutch mind games into grommash for the win!

_DrMario_

So I finally have enough dust to craft my first legendary. I'm guessing it should be Dr Boom just based on the fact that it's getting nerfed for sure soon?

Why is it obscenely worthless against any form of aggro? Even mech mage runs dr. boom and antonidas. Only against face aggro and who can say their entire deck doesn't have more than a few cards that is bad against aggro?

By the time Mech Mage drops Antonidas and collects a Fireball or two, you're probably not going to win by using your whole turn to drop an 8/4 that just removes Antonidas. As for Dr. Boom, BGH does the same thing for less mana and you don't need a dragon in hand to be able to play it.

I think you're being a little bit silly tbh. Having a very strong anti-control card in your deck can actually help your deck focus a bit more on aggro since you've already got a strong leg up against control.

People are always surprised when mind control works in priest, despite it being heavy aggro and it really doesn't matter. You can't built your entire deck to be anti-aggro, just isn't worth it because the meta is never that heavy on aggro, despite people's perceptions.

It's really not even that great of an anti-control card. It removes one card from a limited set of cards, costs 7 mana, and requires you to have a dragon in hand. It then dies to just about anything.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
By the time Mech Mage drops Antonidas and collects a Fireball or two, you're probably not going to win by using your whole turn to drop an 8/4 that just removes Antonidas. As for Dr. Boom, BGH does the same thing for less mana and you don't need a dragon in hand to be able to play it.

It's really not even that great of an anti-control card. It removes one card from a limited set of cards, costs 7 mana, and requires you to have a dragon in hand. It then dies to just about anything.

Rend also has the same sort of 'weakness' BGH has against Dr. Balanced. 4 health is terrible and not too unlikely to get killed just via the bots. Only with BGH you have more mana freed up to play more, while spending 7 mana and having a similar outcome wouldn't be great.

I dunno how the card will turn out, but the typical targets don't seem great. Loatheb is practically always played with an active board which makes it iffy to spend so much to take him out. Sylvannas continues to be great by basically denying him. Boom can clean up with bots...the best stuff to hit really seems to be something like Tirion or one of the dragons like Ysera.

And yes, the whole dragon in hand thing. Obviously if he's in a deck there are additional cards needed for synergy, but something semi situational like that makes it likely to just drop him when the situations are met while other stuff like Harrison/TBK can be held on longer more safely when you're expecting a target. In the case the opponent has no legendary or it gets taken out before you can get a dragon in hand + rend, dropping him without the effect is horrid value.

Rend also has the same sort of 'weakness' BGH has against Dr. Balanced. 4 health is terrible and not too unlikely to get killed just via the bots. Only with BGH you have more mana freed up to play more, while spending 7 mana and having a similar outcome wouldn't be great.

I dunno how the card will turn out, but the typical targets don't seem great. Loatheb is practically always played with an active board which makes it iffy to spend so much to take him out. Sylvannas continues to be great by basically denying him. Boom can clean up with bots...the best stuff to hit really seems to be something like Tirion or one of the dragons like Ysera.

And yes, the whole dragon in hand thing. Obviously if he's in a deck there are additional cards needed for synergy, but something semi situational like that makes it likely to just drop him when the situations are met while other stuff like Harrison/TBK can be held on longer more safely when you're expecting a target. In the case the opponent has no legendary or it gets taken out before you can get a dragon in hand + rend, dropping him without the effect is horrid value.

The only targets I can think of where you'd actually get decent value are KT, Troggzor, Malganis, Malygos, Foe Reaper, Gallywix, and Ysera. None of these are a common enough problem to where you'd need a specific card to combat them. He costs too damn much to get out a silence before you remove Sneed's. Most of the other Legendaries are easy enough to remove with less specialized removal or whatever you happen to have on your board or BGH (for less than half the mana cost). And, at that point, many have already gotten their value through battlecries. He sucks for the same reason that Hemet Nesingwary sucks, he's just too limited in what he can do and doesn't have a decent enough body to make it worthwhile when he doesn't have a target or dragon synergy.

FeD.nL

So i'm debating if I should craft Bolvar or not. My main use for him would be to put him down and have him bait a silence/bgh. I would run him instead of Loatheb, not sure yet though. Anyone tried out Bolvar in control pally?

Raytow

Just YOLO'd and crafted everything i needed for Randuin.

Need to inject some fun into the game. Ladder can be irritating.

Edit: First game in casual and i draw face hunter. Crushed him with mad/madder bombers and won with a mind games arcane golem. Felt good.

Edit 2: Hahahaha. Clutch mind games into grommash for the win!

checked the deck too rich for my tastes, as expensive as control warrior ;_;

ViviOggi

FeD.nL

Maybe the shaman got his own shadowform

Yep, it looks weird. First I thought it was the golden animation but that one doesn't have a lightning effect that seems to be on the pic. But that would also mean that shaman gets 2 class cards and if that is for all the classes it seems weird there will only be 8 regular neutrals (31-(9x2)-5 legendaries).

Or it is something in development for the new set of cards later this year. Or it is a fake.

You still have to remove antonidas. You can't just let it sit there and you're not gonna find many cheaper or faster ways to remove a minion with 7 hp from hand. If you have to sacrifice a lot of your board to achieve the same thing, you may as well spend 7 mana removing it and dropping a minion who is gonna help close out the match real fast if they don't deal with it.

There aren't many better ways for several classes to deal with antonidas easier than that. Even siphon soul is only 1 mana less. Equality ensures you lose a lot of your board or you need another card to combo with it. Having a dragon is likely to be a sure thing and costs you nothing. It is more of a deck building requirement than an on play requirement.

As for using your whole turn to just remove antonidas and play an 8/4... you make it sound like a bad thing when that is a really good turn. Rend is often gonna soak up a fireball or deal 8 damage. Both results are great. I don't even follow how playing an 8/4 and dealing with antonidas is somehow a bad turn.

edit:
As for it not being a good anti-control card... huh? It deals with the cards that control relies on to win games. I don't get how that doesn't make it a good anti-control card. They've spent 8 or more mana to play a card. Rend's battlecry removes it. Rend himself is equivalent to a 5-6 mana minion. That means you've only spent about 1-2 mana removing an 8+ mana minion from the board. Its a very powerful tempo because you're swinging several points of mana while getting a card advantage and putting out serious pressure. Even if its BGH'd, you're often gonna be okay with that.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I think Rend is in an interesting place in that I think it might end up being viable in tournament play and useless on ladder.

Rend is simply too useless against aggro. Whereas cards like Rag and Grom and Alex can be effective against both aggro and control.

But in tournaments where there is very little aggro and you get to have some control over your matchups, Rend can be a potentially very powerful card.

edit: (ignore this I'm wrong) also, the people who are saying you can't play rend against sylvanas I think are wrong. Battlecries resolve before the minion enters play. If Rend kills Sylvanas, the deathrattle should trigger before Rend is 'in play' and so he can't be stolen.

Rapstah

edit: also, the people who are saying you can't play rend against sylvanas I think are wrong. Battlecries resolve before the minion enters play. If Rend kills Sylvanas, the deathrattle should trigger before Rend is 'in play' and so he can't be stolen.

If you play Deathwing to kill an enemy Sylvanas, Sylvanas' Deathrattle will steal the Deathwing. I think you're right that Rend's Battlecry will trigger before he is really in play, but then the game should wait to actually kill off the target until he is in play, meaning it doesn't really matter.

Correct me if wrong, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom