• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Dude I can screenshot every book page if you want it. I just have not been lucky with boosters and spent my dust crafting cards I needed primarily for rogue and warlock so I could make at least cheap consistent decks. And I did not add that I don't have a single one class legendary. The other day I opened 40 packs with all the gold I had been saving for naxxramas and didn't need in the end and the only legendary I got from it was Illidan.

By the way I play on EU so no reroll bug for me either.

so what did you do with all the dust from the packs? Do you de golds as well? Do you make 100g a day on average?

Bizazedo

Something about the meta currently is bugging me. I dunno. Feels less fun and I can't put my finger on why.

Assuming it's just me, but I dunno.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
A slew of new cards and unpredictable decks is less fun?

Tarazet

Claw's are awesome since a one mana utility card fixes your curve very nicely. Filling your deck with minions is one way to lose in arena.

Yeah, I have a rule of going for efficient removal first because it's not as common to get.. up to two copies. It helped that the Crocolisk and Archer are weak choices. But Starfall vs. Argent and Keeper vs. Azure Drake were deck-changing decisions. I did, twice, end up using the Drake + Starfall combo.. once to clear a pack of X/3's, and once to clear a 6/6 Blood Knight.

scy

Then post your draft (it gives you a link to share your draft). I'm guessing Scy will be more than happy to point out a dozen or more mistakes you made, if you care for drafting advice.

;___;

This isn't really true either. If you give two people the same deck, the better player won't always win, not by a long shot. Draw is still fairly important, definitely important enough that it accounts for some percentage higher than 0.

This is basically the goal of RNG (card draws / card sequence, actual RNG effects) in the these games. The "better" player doesn't always win. It greatly influences their chance, yeah, but it's still just that: A chance. That said, I do think the skill gap can get to the point that it's almost guaranteed but, yeah, still not 100-0.

Apologies for the bump. I really had to make a lot of tough choices in this one.. Starfall vs. Argent Commander, Azure Drake vs. Keeper of the Grove, Ironfur Grizzly vs. MotW, Ironbark vs. Sen'jin Shieldmasta. I'd say about 20 of the cards were no-brainers, but there were a bunch that could have gone either way.

I still find it weird that ArenaValue can't let me go through a set of 90 cards and pick a different deck and compare final decks and so-on. At least now it updates picks if you go back through it, though. And since Minsc pointed it out, I might as well do this then~~~

Pick #5 - I have an argument for basically every pick. Innervate is dead some of the time, sure, but Druid tends to be 5+ heavy with DotC, Starfall, Starfire, Ancients, Ironbark Protector, etc. and then a lot of decent bulk being at the 6+ range. Ogre Magi's Spellpower isn't dead here and you already have some decent early picks so a 4cc 4/4 is actually fairly good. Worgen just dies for free too easily and his upside isn't super common. Personally, it'd have been between Innervate and Magi and I'd have probably gone Innervate since it's so early but that's a riskier pick.

Pick #8 - I think I can agree with Starfall here. Commander is good, yeah, but Starfall is solid removal or board clear AND most people don't play around it vs Druid since everyone forgets about it since it's a Rare.

Pick #9 - My general preference is solid early game before my end game. Any fatty works to close a game out while early game has more targets to aim for. That's my argument for Tazdingo here anyway.

Pick #10 - both? Hm. Azure Drake is my gut on seeing them but KotG is silence or removal. I think I'd still go Drake (since Pick 10) but if this was later, I could see grabbing KotG instead for the utility. Looking over the draft as a whole, maybe Keeper was better to get another 4cc and just since it's a faster card in general due to the Battlecry.

Pick #11 - I'd make the argument for Ogre since you got the card draw earlier and the curve so far is all 5 or less. Then again, I say that also since I grabbed Innervate and skipped tree.

Pick #22 - I think I agree but I really want to know if this backfired horribly at some point.

Curve comes out fairly bumpy either way. Only major difference in the two decks is I trade a tree for an Ogre for the end game and get an extra Tazdingo into the deck to stabilize the start.

Tarazet

Pick #22 - I think I agree but I really want to know if this backfired horribly at some point.

Deathlord pulled out a naked Faceless Manipulator, a Razorfen Hunter, and a Shattered Sun Cleric. I was OK with this. I think it's not really a bad pick since a lot of good minions are chosen based on their battlecry in arena, and obviously yanking them onto the board removes that value.

Tacitus_

On the topic of drafts, I just made this: http://www.arenavalue.com/s/oAW6qF#1

Other than the lack activators for the egg and low card draw, I like it. The curve is practically perfect.

The weblord/gargoyle/humility was a weird choice since none of them are that good. Went with weblord for more 2 drops... 7 2 drops + egg makes for good early game.

frequency

Something about the meta currently is bugging me. I dunno. Feels less fun and I can't put my finger on why.

Assuming it's just me, but I dunno.

I find it less fun because secrets and some crazy death rattle effects. Mostly secrets though. Always hated them.

I'm either going to just Arena or not play for a bit and wait for the meta to settle down and see how many secrets decks are still in play.

scy

Deathlord pulled out a naked Faceless Manipulator, a Razorfen Hunter, and a Shattered Sun Cleric. I was OK with this. I think it's not really a bad pick since a lot of good minions are chosen based on their battlecry in arena, and obviously yanking them onto the board removes that value.

The reason I'm iffy (though it's still most likely best in pack) is just that worst case scenario draw from Deathlord is a fatty and most of those in Arena will be vanilla minions anyway. It's still something like a ~15% chance at best of failing on you so not a dealbreaker.

I just wanted a funny horror story :x

I find it less fun because secrets and some crazy death rattle effects. Mostly secrets though. Always hated them.

I'm either going to just Arena or not play for a bit and wait for the meta to settle down and see how many secrets decks are still in play.

Yeah, I think Hearthstone has needed some form of counter to secrets for a while now. I'm really surprised they didn't add a card or two to counter them in Naxxramas.

Tacitus_

Yeah, I think Hearthstone has needed some form of counter to secrets for a while now. I'm really surprised they didn't add a card or two to counter them in Naxxramas.

The best (worst?) thing about secrets is that the only thing that counters secrets (flare) can be countered by a secret (counterspell).

The current meta is in flux as people figure out new decks. It's not fun to get facerolled by a gimmick deck but those will fade away once everything stabilizes.

Though I complained about there not being new cards, I think the new wings have kicked my hearthstone playing. I haven't played in days, not even to do daily quests.

Thank you based Blizzard

CoolOff

Three Shamans in a row at rank 8 EU. My face-Hunter says thanks.

Lost to the last one, then faced a 4th and lost to him too.

karma.gif

it's had to win against shaman if you don't draw buzzard/unleash because all of their plays are so much more efficient than yours you need the card draw.

CoolOff

it's had to win against shaman if you don't draw buzzard/unleash because all of their plays are so much more efficient than yours you need the card draw.

Meh, wasn't really that, they just outplayed me. One managed to play his Wolves perfectly, and the other timed his Loatheb even better.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I made a shaman deck last night with shade of nax. Where I would mulligan exlusively for it, drop it as soon as possible, and then never attack. At some point I would cast windfury on it while keeping it stealthed. The entire rest of the deck was defense (taunt/removal/sweeps)

Then eventually you drop some rockbiters and flametongues and 1-shot them. It was great. And terrible.

Even mulliganing exclusively for the shade I was only seeing it in the first ~8 cards about 30% of the time which feels unlucky, but I haven't done the math. Still though, I felt like I was favored to win any game I had it in my starting hand.

It's not a good deck right now, but if shaman ever got a tutor effect or a card like tracking to bump up the odds of early shade I think it could become a real deck.

NBtoaster

Jesus christ the hunter meta makes this game unfun. It's worse than when hounds were 2 mana.

The meta isn't diverse at all, 2/3 games are hunter or zoo.

Fixed1979

Jesus christ the hunter meta makes this game unfun. It's worse than when hounds were 2 mana.

The meta isn't diverse at all, 2/3 games are hunter or zoo.

I'm only playing around level 15-16 right now, but the amount of hunters I saw last night was mind boggling. If I played 7 games, 4 was against hunter and 2 against zoo. If it's the same thing this weekend I'll need to make some deck changes in order to make a run.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The best (worst?) thing about secrets is that the only thing that counters secrets (flare) can be countered by a secret (counterspell).

If the Mage plays only one secret, and the counterspell triggers on a flare, I am 100% OK with that.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
What's arena value?

Arenavalue.com

I can't see me ever getting over the pick-and-mix way you have to pick. In a 30 card deck if the majority of your choices aren't duplicates (2x whatever minion or whatever spell) then you are playing a deck that relies purely on what order you draw the cards in to win, and that's obviously never going to be consistent.

Drawing 30 cards from a pool of 90 doesn't sound too bad in theory, but when it's done in groups of 3 with no knowledge of what's coming up then it's completely down to chance whether you can ever get any consistency in your deck. I'd prefer to be drawing 30 cards from a completely visible pool of 45 for example, or some other method that allows you to chose cards in the knowledge of what you have available to work with in other areas.

Arena isn't driven by synergy. Picking cards in arena is about getting strong value cards that are independently good. Cards like acidic swamp ooze, shattered sun cleric, harvest golem, chillwind yeti, tazdingo, scarlet crusader, Boulderfist ogre. Some cards like cult master or silver hand knight are seen as bad cards in constructed but are solid picks in arena. So you don't necessarily need to rely on draws. You just need to try and play on curve. Keep your mana curve on mind when drafting your deck so you don't get too lopsided.

I'm only playing around level 15-16 right now, but the amount of hunters I saw last night was mind boggling. If I played 7 games, 4 was against hunter and 2 against zoo. If it's the same thing this weekend I'll need to make some deck changes in order to make a run.

I'm not saying he's necessarily wrong, when you have top streamers like Reynad repeating things like "if you are climbing and aren't playing Hunter you are stupid", it's going to make the meta reaallly boring for a while.

Personally I've been playing Shaman because I have a deck I tweaked together and that's more enjoyable than netdecking the latest rush meta to Legend. To each his own.

Fixed1979

I'm not saying he's necessarily wrong, when you have top streamers like Reynad repeating things like "if you are climbing and aren't playing Hunter you are stupid", it's going to make the meta reaallly boring for a while.

Personally I've been playing Shaman because I have a deck I tweaked together and that's more enjoyable than netdecking the latest rush meta to Legend. To each his own.

I agree, pretty sure there's always going to be a "go to" deck, and you're always going to occasionally get on a run where you see it a bunch of times, it's just shitty when it happens. I'll play a deck that I find fun as my primary goal, and worry about the ladder as a secondary goal (as evident from my rank).

Xanathus

Kinda bored, after getting the legend card-back there's no more incentive to play ranked except for the golden heroes but I'm not farming those till next season because I'm too high rank to farm newbies. Luckily it looks like Diablo 3 is getting the 2.1 patch next week so that will keep me interested for awhile.

Out of boredom, is there anyone here who is really new to Hearthstone and is interested in getting some free coaching over Skype?

arimanius

Finally faced my first gold hero. Rank 18 hunter. Not legendary 18. Just rank 18.

Pretty cool hero portrait.

I didn't win lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Golden locks = bots

I just wanted a funny horror story :x

Not sure if this counts, but in constructed a Deathlord pulled Kel'Thuzad for me. The guy couldn't remove him and I was able to get four on the board. It was awesome but it was hard to play any other minion since it kept filling up with Stone Claw Totems.

Cipherr

Get used to it IMO. Theres more than a few people that don't like Arena. Im one of them. Simply shouting down everyone that doesn't love it with "You aren't drafting right!" or "Bbb...but is so good" isn't going to change that. Arena wins 5+ earn you SO many more packs + gold over constructed monthly that its ridiculous. Its annoying to those of us who don't like the mode because its not fun to play, yet you feel forced into it because the return is so much higher than constructed in terms of gaining gold so you can unlock cards.

Its also hilarious how as a new player, constructed mode can be rough on you because you don't have cards yet, but Arena ignores the cards you have. You are fucking railroaded into that mode and its annoying as hell. When they get around to adding a worth a damn adventure mode or something Im sure the annoyance with Arena will die down, but for now? ....

scy

Simply shouting down everyone that doesn't love it with "You aren't drafting right!" or "Bbb...but is so good" isn't going to change that.

It depends entirely on "why" they don't like it.

Besides that, yes, the mode is pretty much the fastest way to earn gold for packs so like it or not, you'll probably want to get good at it if only to make the grind for cards easier.

tariniel

Playing Paladin right now is really depressing. Considering disenchanting my Tirion and put the dust towards something else at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom