• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen the Beast twice with Hunters. Of course, that's with a Rhino out. At that point, The Beast is a cheaper Core Hound really.

Thinking about it though, for most Hunter decks, Highmanes are their biggest threats normally, right? Maybe could fit it in and it'd be a nice surprise. Then again, I think most Hunter decks don't rely on Highmanes.

ViviOggi

I've seen the Beast twice with Hunters. Of course, that's with a Rhino out. At that point, The Beast is a cheaper Core Hound really.

Thinking about it though, for most Hunter decks, Highmanes are their biggest threats normally, right? Maybe could fit it in and it'd be a nice surprise. Then again, I think most Hunter decks don't rely on Highmanes.

They absolutely rely on that ridiculous card against any kind of control deck. I'm not sold on The Beast though.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Kel'thuzad, Chains: Take control of the highest value card from your opponent

"Random" my dick. Blizzard rocking that artificial intelligence like it's the millenium shift. Good job, incompetent fucks :)

Oscar

Any fellow Control Warriors?

It's all I play (I don't play THAT much). This has been the roughest season so far and I've been around since closed beta.

100 wins away from a golden Garrosh though.

gutshot

Shade of Naxx is kinda OP. Just played a mage who dropped it on turn 3 and let it grow all the way to a 12/12 at which point he attacked face with it and Pyroblasted me for the win. I had him down to 6 health and knew he was just waiting for that lethal combo but there was nothing I could do to stop it. Tried silencing it, tried dropping BGH, but neither work on stealthed minions apparently. And, of course, Flare was at the bottom of my deck. Guess I will have to run 2 Flares now since Shade and secrets are everywhere.

Leezard

Shade of Naxx is kinda OP. Just played a mage who dropped it on turn 3 and let it grow all the way to a 12/12 at which point he attacked face with it and Pyroblasted me for the win. I had him down to 6 health and knew he was just waiting for that lethal combo but there was nothing I could do to stop it. Tried silencing it, tried dropping BGH, but neither work on stealthed minions apparently. And, of course, Flare was at the bottom of my deck. Guess I will have to run 2 Flares now since Shade and secrets are everywhere.

hunter? you can deadly shot it as well

"Random" my dick. Blizzard rocking that artificial intelligence like it's the millenium shift. Good job, incompetent fucks :)

I beat heroic KT because he stole my 1/1 token instead of my 5/4 ooze. :D

KingKiller

Neo Member

I thought you could get at stealthed minions with anything that doesn't directly deal damage? Shouldn't things like silence or Shadow word work?

scy

You can't target Stealth minions. Effects that don't target (e.g., Stampeding Kodo) will hit Stealthed minions, however.

Yeah, Shade might be the toughest card to deal with out of all the Naxxramas cards. It doesn't take long for it to grow out of Lightning Storm and Flamestrike range either. Seems like Flare and Mass Dispel are going to be the most reliable cards against it. For most classes it's going to come down to alot of RNG.

KingKiller

Neo Member
Is it just me or are paladins under powered as shit? I haven't lost to one in quite awhile and every attempt at playing it has ended in disaster.

It's all I play (I don't play THAT much). This has been the roughest season so far and I've been around since closed beta.

I've been doing pretty well. Death's Bite and Sludge Belcher have been welcome additions in my Control Warrior.

ShinNL

I wanna play Control Shaman soooo bad D:

Vh3ZFDT.jpg

Flow of that game was:

Turn 2: Loot Hoarder
Turn 3: Acolyte of Pain
Turn 4: Twilight Drake (4/10)
Turn 5: Ancestral Healing + Faceless
Turn 6: Mountain Giant + Ancestral Spirit
Turn 7: Baron Rivendare + Reincarnate

In the meanwhile trading because Ancestral Healing and Reincarnate basically refreshes the minions.

----

Plleeeaaaassseeee let me play Control Shaman!

What you see here is Earth Elemental 5, 6 and 7. Was reviving them before with Ancestral Spirit, then... Kel mode on.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's almost like taunt exists.

ViviOggi

Cheers. It's the first season I bothered going through with the grind to legend so it's been pretty good on my end. Definitely tired of all those Hunters though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Since you're evidently Hunter, this is what you have at your disposal for handling Shade...

Deadly_Shot%28239%29.png
Freezing_Trap%2899%29.png
Flare%28630%29.png
Houndmaster%28225%29.png

So, it's not so much as "Shade is OP", but "I didn't draw my answers", which happens. Not drawing an answer for a problem doesn't make it OP, especially since you had 10 turns to do so and clear forewarning.

gutshot

BGH is targeted.

Ah right, because it isn't random. Wonder if Blizzard might change it so it can become a counter to a big Shade. It'd be rare for an opponent to have more than one 7 attack minion on a board anyway, so it being random wouldn't be that much of a drawback.

Otherwise there just aren't too many ways to deal with a Shade and we're going to start seeing huge one-hit combos with it like what happened to Amaz.

Dreavus

I've been playing shade because
I like his voice clip.

I usually don't have the luxury to let it sit there forever if the opponent is applying reasonable pressure.

So here are the two Shaman decks I've been working on. They have been doing alright, but I've fallen to 15, so keep that in mind. I did eek out to rank 11 until getting slapped back a bit. I'm not quite sure what I could move around and change, while also keeping the end game gimmick that is, to make a better deck. I could probably remove Stalagg / Fuegen / and a single Reincarnate to have a better rounded out deck.

Anyway, the idea behind the deck is to get some ground before throwing down either Stal or Fueg down. Once they get taken out or I use Reincarnate, then I throw down the other and make sure I get Thaddius in the same turn. It usually works out pretty well because most people deal with Thaddius and I can just get another next turn by trading. Being able to use Ancestral Spirit to get even more is the dream. Kel'Thuzad is in just because he's awesome and I love his effect. When I have gotten him to work, I've always won.

I guess my issue is that if I don't have board late game, then I'm just throwing down small guys or I can't combo because there isn't a distraction on the board. I'm torn because I feel like if I had other big cards that could eat removal, then it'd be easir to get combos off, but then the rest of my deck will be really slow, which I think is counter to the meta right now.(Disclaimer: I could be really wrong about that, I'm not really that good)

Might try a Crusher type deck again, or maybe move into something Handlock / Soneet esc, not really sure. Hard for me to figure out what really is better.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Anyone tried playing shade in control paladin? I don't own Tirion and other paladin epics so I never build it but it seems like defensive paladin would
1. Make the game last long enough for it to grow
2. Provide a source of burst damage that paladin normally doesn't have
3. It seems like Paladin often can't spend all its mana or at best just hero power a lot.

So I'm very curious about it but can't really try it myself.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

I had Tirion on the board and it passed by it three times.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
So here are the two Shaman decks I've been working on. They have been doing alright, but I've fallen to 15, so keep that in mind. I did eek out to rank 11 until getting slapped back a bit. I'm not quite sure what I could move around and change, while also keeping the end game gimmick that is, to make a better deck. I could probably remove Stalagg / Fuegen / and a single Reincarnate to have a better rounded out deck.

Anyway, the idea behind the deck is to get some ground before throwing down either Stal or Fueg down. Once they get taken out or I use Reincarnate, then I throw down the other and make sure I get Thaddius in the same turn. It usually works out pretty well because most people deal with Thaddius and I can just get another next turn by trading. Being able to use Ancestral Spirit to get even more is the dream. Kel'Thuzad is in just because he's awesome and I love his effect. When I have gotten him to work, I've always won.

I guess my issue is that if I don't have board late game, then I'm just throwing down small guys or I can't combo because there isn't a distraction on the board. I'm torn because I feel like if I had other big cards that could eat removal, then it'd be easir to get combos off, but then the rest of my deck will be really slow, which I think is counter to the meta right now.(Disclaimer: I could be really wrong about that, I'm not really that good)

Might try a Crusher type deck again, or maybe move into something Handlock / Soneet esc, not really sure. Hard for me to figure out what really is better.
I feel like this deck is trying to do too much and your win conditions are at odds with each other causing you to have too many situational cards. You have bloodlust, which wants a board full of small guys but then 1/3 of your creatures are 5+ in cost. You run leeroy + 2x reincarnate but don't have enough early aggro to really burst your opponent down. And you have Fuegen/Stalagg + reincarnate but relatively little defense to ensure the game goes long enough for that to work reliably. And they're also really your only ancestral spirit targets.

I feel like the best thing you could do is focus on and really empower one of those 3 combos. As is the decks seem kind of schizophrenic.

Kettch

Had a druid play Kel'Thuzad against me. My response: Sylvanas, Reincarnate (steal a 2-3), Reincarnate (steal Kel'thuzad). End turn and have 3 Sylvanas on board.

Arena game today.

I play Deathlord on Turn 3. Opponent kills it and gets an alarm-o-bot.
I ignore it, because "pff, whats the worst that can happen".
Next turn it pulls out Deathwing.

Can't make that shit up. The odds of the deathlord pulling out the bot and then the bot pulling out deathwing out of his 5 cards ..
even him having the deathwing / alarmobot combo in ARENA at all.

this game ...

I feel like this deck is trying to do too much and your win conditions are at odds with each other causing you to have too many situational cards. You have bloodlust, which wants a board full of small guys but then 1/3 of your creatures are 5+ in cost. You run leeroy + 2x reincarnate but don't have enough early aggro to really burst your opponent down. And you have Fuegen/Stalagg + reincarnate but relatively little defense to ensure the game goes long enough for that to work reliably. And they're also really your only ancestral spirit targets.

I feel like the best thing you could do is focus on and really empower one of those 3 combos. As is the decks seem kind of schizophrenic.

Thanks for the input, I'll take a look into going for something with a higher curve.

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
The reason I'm iffy (though it's still most likely best in pack) is just that worst case scenario draw from Deathlord is a fatty and most of those in Arena will be vanilla minions anyway. It's still something like a ~15% chance at best of failing on you so not a dealbreaker.

I just wanted a funny horror story :x

I'm not a fan of Deathlord. Least favorite card from Naxx hands down. It always seems to turn into a disaster whether for me or my opponent playing it. It always seems to swing games against the person playing it. Not touching that card anymore. Constructed or arena.

ShinNL

That looks like a Leeroy burst deck. Slayn is correct in that it tries to be a jack of all trades, weakening it's potential.

If you want to focus more on Leeroy, consider Doomhammer, Windfury and Al'Akir over Stalagg, Feugen and strengthen your early game by dropping Farseer and Big Game Hunter and replacing them with things like Harvest Golem, Dark Iron Dwarf and Black Knight.

If you want to focus more on combos, like the Belcher version, I would drop Haunted Creeper and Argent Squire and even Leeroy, for more stable value cards like Eggs, Baron Rivendare and Spectral Knight.

My Titan V (yep, many revisions) is focused on putting out big guys. Like, so focused that I actually don't run any Lightning spells or AoE. Not only to prevent myself from overloading, but also to force my plays into putting out big minion after big minion, eventually forcing the opponent to trade, if not I will taunt it or get crazy value with combos.

You could also go heavy minion style by going Argent Squire, Undertaker, Abusive Sergeant, FTT, Egg, Haunted Creeper, Knife Juggler, Imp Master,Harvest Golem, Dark Iron Dwarf. Defender of Argus and using the last few cards for some Leeroy finishers (2x Reincarnate, 1x Ancestral Spirit).

For me Feugen and Stalagg are too slow. You're either dead by then, or trade evenly and end up topdecking while playing them (thus making it hard to do any combos), or in a slow scenario your opponent can deal with it by having stronger control.

BGH without any Faceless isn't that amazing.
Black Knight is a good enabler for a Leeroy follow up.
Kel Thuzad combos needs a lot of taunts if you want to get to 8+ mana.

For both decks, replacing Feugen and Stalagg with 2x Fire Elemental would already fit your theme more.

And in case you're interested, this is Titan V:

Rank 4 on the legend climb. No discernible difference in level of play of most of my opponents between ranks 7-4, though a few players with legend card backs have been noticeably better matches (some also have not). Going out of town for the weekend so It'll be tough to hit my legend goal but it's possible. I fear that ranks 1 and 2 will be a grind as I adapt to more skilled players though.

Fixed1979

Feels like a good time for a third GAF tournament!

I played the first, but missed the second. I'm assuming/hoping that they were at the point for the second tournament that there weren't banned cards?

I'm not a fan of Deathlord. Least favorite card from Naxx hands down. It always seems to turn into a disaster whether for me or my opponent playing it. It always seems to swing games against the person playing it. Not touching that card anymore. Constructed or arena.

I dig the card, never play it early though. Unless your already ahead or completely desperate it's a very poor turn 3 card.

CoolOff

Am I alone in thinking Sludge Belcher needs a slight nerf? It's not terribly OP, but I feel it could really use a point taken from it somewhere, the double taunt is ridiculously strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom