• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarazet

So uh... I got this completely amazeballs Druid draft with pretty much all the value I ever needed in one deck. I got crushed in the first two games by vastly faster decks, but then went on a 6-game tear until I got comboed by a Shaman. I pretty much mulliganed for Claw and 2-drops and traded minions.

Any Arena guru got any ideas how I could have drafted this better?

http://arenavalue.com/s/ixSjcj#3

zoukka

Its not salt, I just don't like the added RNG element. It generally always nets you a gain in gold as long as you can win a few games. But fun wise, I find it lacking. No fun to get garbage choices for cards and get matched against legends and epics, and no fun to draw insane impossibly good hands and steamroll people playing boars and whatnot.

It's not everyones cup of tea, but the RNG factor isn't that much bigger than in constructed and the actual skill cap is a lot higher than in constructed since you can't copy decks and playstyles. You need to think of every pick and how it sits in your deck and during matches you need to improvise and understand how cards synergise with each other.

I have always enjoyed drafting more than constructed in any TCG. It's just the endless variety and thinking on your feet that tickles my fancy.

I feel like shaman and druid are in really bad places right now. Everyone is playing hunter/warrior/zoo on ladder with a healthy dose of paladin and priest. but mostly hunter and warrior.

and, of course, miracle rogue is still broken. it just doesn't really run any naxx cards and I think people are bored of it.

Yeah the fall of druid is the best thing to happen in HS ever. I'd rather fight nothing but zoo's and facehunters rather than druids.

And Miracle is still the best deck in HS. Nothing has changed with Naxx even though some decks have gotten useful tools to even the field a little bit.

Lyng

and the actual skill cap is a lot higher than in constructed since you can't copy decks and playstyles.

I highly dissagree. Its just a different type of game. In Arena its almost purely hand management during matches and reacting to whatever your opponent plays.
In constructed you need to know the meta, you need to think two - three turns ahead before every play.

rac

Banned
Tracking is my least favorite card in the game to play. I always feel like I lose out with it.

I only have 1 in the deck too. Its really good if you need a specific card in the same turn but if your just using it to cycle I think its shit.

zoukka

I highly dissagree. Its just a different type of game. In Arena its almost purely hand management during matches and reacting to whatever your opponent plays.
In constructed you need to know the meta, you need to think two - three turns ahead before every play.

You are just wrong. In arena, every basic rule applies from constructed in how to play correct. Then you add the actual drafting to it and the skill cap is clearly higher. This is not anything new, drafting has always been the most challenging form of play in MTG also.

Lyng

You are just wrong. In arena, every basic rule applies from constructed in how to play correct. Then you add the actual drafting to it and the skill cap is clearly higher. This is not anything new, drafting has always been the most challenging form of play in MTG also.

No. Just no. You have almost zero idea about your opponents deck. That adds the challenge of needing to react. However it changes the game to a hand management game where you simply play whats best right now according to the current board and state.
Drafting in Hearthstone is pretty damn easy compared to MTG and Netrunner. First of all you dont have the same pool, you are given 3 choices of which the better is almost allways pretty obvious. Then just adjust to your curve. Dont try to create the illusion that picking a deck in arena is so hard.
Most players can simply go to arena value and get a semi decent deck.

Also while you can netdeck its not gonna give you any autowin. Piloting a deck when your opponent knows exactly what cards you have forces you too carefully plan every move in advance. Something you dont really need to do in Arena.

All I am saying is its a different type of game. Neither is really that much harder then the other.

zoukka

No. Just no. You have almost zero idea about your opponents deck. That adds the challenge of needing to react. However it changes the game to a hand management game where you simply play whats best right now according to the current board and state.
Drafting in Hearthstone is pretty damn easy compared to MTG and Netrunner. First of all you dont have the same pool, you are given 3 choices of which the better is almost allways pretty obvious. Then just adjust to your curve. Dont try to create the illusion that picking a deck in arena is so hard.
Most players can simply go to arena value and get a semi decent deck.

Also while you can netdeck its not gonna give you any autowin. Piloting a deck when your opponent knows exactly what cards you have forces you too carefully plan every move in advance. Something you dont really need to do in Arena.

All I am saying is its a different type of game. Neither is really that much harder then the other.

Yes they are different and yes Arena is harder than constructed. Any dweep can reach rank 5 in constructed if they have the cards to netdeck. Any dweeb cannot get to 7+ wins in arena let alone 12 because you have to know how to make a proper deck (which involves a lot of things like curve, balance of minions and spells, synergies etc).

And while you cannot tell exactly what your opponent has in their deck you sure as hell can play around plenty of situations. Watch any good arena streamer and you'll see they play around stuff every turn.

I don't know how one can even try argue to that the two modes are equally challenging. It's just impossible since one of them requires you to do more as in building a deck on the fly.

And yes HS drafting is very easy compared to MTG, but we are comparing HS drafting and HS constructed here.

Lyng

Yes they are different and yes Arena is harder than constructed. Any dweep can reach rank 5 in constructed if they have the cards to netdeck. Any dweeb cannot get to 7+ wins in arena let alone 12 because you have to know how to make a proper deck (which involves a lot of things like curve, balance of minions and spells, synergies etc).

And while you cannot tell exactly what your opponent has in their deck you sure as hell can play around plenty of situations. Watch any good arena streamer and you'll see they play around stuff every turn.

I don't know how one can even try argue to that the two modes are equally challenging. It's just impossible since one of them requires you to do more as in building a deck on the fly.

And yes HS drafting is very easy compared to MTG, but we are comparing HS drafting and HS constructed here.

You began comparing HS drafting and said that MTG drafting was harder too. But those two methods of drafting are also vastly different. Same goes for netrunner.

Also yes of course its easier to reach 5 then 7+ wins. Simply because you just need to grind to reach 5. In Arena you only need 3 losses. But the actual match is really not harder then a constructed match.
Yes building a deck requires a little more in Arena. However the match in constructed is harder. Simply because your opponents mostly knows what you have. (At least if your dumb enough to netdeck) Which is also why most people only reach 5 and below.
Reaching legend in constructed is alot harder then reaching 7+ wins in Arena

zoukka

You began comparing HS drafting and said that MTG drafting was harder too. But those two methods of drafting are also vastly different. Same goes for netrunner.

Also yes of course its easier to reach 5 then 7+ wins. Simply because you just need to grind to reach 5. In Arena you only need 3 losses. But the actual match is really not harder then a constructed match.
Yes building a deck requires a little more in Arena. However the match in constructed is harder. Simply because your opponents mostly knows what you have. (At least if your dumb enough to netdeck) Which is also why most people only reach 5 and below.
Reaching legend in constructed is alot harder then reaching 7+ wins in Arena

It works the other way around too. People netdeck and so it's easy to tell what they have in their decks. In arena you make your own deck, improvise in every match and still need to have all the skills you need in constructed.

I'm not trying to boast or anything, I am just pointing out that it's impossible for one mode to be equally challenging when it's so different and is missing a key aspect of deck building.

It works the other way around too. People netdeck and so it's easy to tell what they have in their decks. In arena you make your own deck, improvise in every match and still need to have all the skills you need in constructed.

I'm not trying to boast or anything, I am just pointing out that it's impossible for one mode to be equally challenging when it's so different and is missing a key aspect of deck building.

arena picks are pretty straightforward imo

Lyng

So one would think. And then you realise most people seldom see even 7 wins. How do you explain that?

Because they are shitty at playing the game and creating board control.
The same people that never rise above 5 even with infinite playing time.

zoukka

Hardly because they grind to a stall at both modes.

This is just stupid. You could be basically arguing that playing with your own deck is as easy as with a netdeck. There is a clear difference between constructed and arena and it isn't somehow magically "equally" challenging.

Lyng

This is just stupid. You could be basically arguing that playing with your own deck is as easy as with a netdeck. There is a clear difference between constructed and arena and it isn't somehow magically "equally" challenging.

You are basing this on some premise that every constucted player netdecks. The best players and legend players adjust there decks to whatever they meet. You dont get to legend by just picking some dekc and going hurr durr. Its simply a wrong assumption.

LabnPwP.jpg

random single pack before going to bed

feels good bros (even though it isn't the best card lol)

ShinNL

You dont get to legend by just picking some dekc and going hurr durr. Its simply a wrong assumption.
I'm pretty sure this happens more than you think, considering how often I read "Thanks, I got to Legend in no time with this deck" on Hearthpwn when browsing decks...

There's a lot of hurr durr. And tweaking a one or two cards after netdecking is still netdecking and it's overrated how much of an input it is. In Arena you have to balance around 30 cards starting from scratch, which is quite different than balancing starting from an already balanced template. I don't understand how people can argue otherwise with Zoukka.

The one Faceless Manipulator I pulled in a pack last week is doing some serious work for me. Last few games I've played it have earned my victory.

Played against a Druid as Warrior, and in the late game I had a Whirlwind, Execute and Faceless in my hand, and a Taskmaster, a fresh Frothing Berserker and a Warsong Commander on the field, where the Druid had nothing on the field. I was just waiting for him to play an Ironwood Protector. He did, my Faceless copies it, then Whirlwind+Execute to seal the deal next turn.

Love the card. I'm going to use it in every deck until it stops working for me.

Xanathus

The one Faceless Manipulator I pulled in a pack last week is doing some serious work for me. Last few games I've played it have earned my victory.

Played against a Druid as Warrior, and in the late game I had a Whirlwind, Execute and Faceless in my hand, and a Taskmaster, a fresh Frothing Berserker and a Warsong Commander on the field, where the Druid had nothing on the field. I was just waiting for him to play an Ironwood Protector. He did, my Faceless copies it, then Whirlwind+Execute to seal the deal next turn.

Love the card. I'm going to use it in every deck until it stops working for me.

Yeah Faceless Manipulator won me a game as a Shaman when I first started playing HS and didn't have many good cards against a player who had all the legendaries and stuff. I just hexed/silenced his Cairnes and Sylvanases and stole his Ysera or whatever it was with Faceless.

Lyng

I'm pretty sure this happens more than you think, considering how often I read "Thanks, I got to Legend in no time with this deck" on Hearthpwn when browsing decks...

There's a lot of hurr durr. And tweaking a one or two cards after netdecking is still netdecking and it's overrated how much of an input it is. In Arena you have to balance around 30 cards starting from scratch, which is quite different than balancing starting from an already balanced template. I don't understand how people can argue otherwise with Zoukka.

The reason I argue is because of something like Arena value. Essentially removing most of what was somewhat more challenging about Arena.
Also the cards are so simple in HS that picking the best out of 3 is really not that hard. At least not if you have even the slightest experience with deckbuilding / handmanagement / drafting games.

Yes the actual building a deck in arena requires a little more then in Constructed. But saying that Arena in genereal requires alot more skill then constructed is really overrating the skill involved.
Hearthstone is a simple game.

NBtoaster

Reincarnate on Kel Thuzad is even better than Reincarnate Sylvanas. Hope you have 16 damage next turn!

Also, I like how bots have no idea how to deal with KT.

zoukka

Yes the actual building a deck in arena requires a little more then in Constructed. But saying that Arena in genereal requires alot more skill then constructed is really overrating the skill involved.
Hearthstone is a simple game.

Ok so now you agree that arena takes more skill, just that in general you don't need much skill in HS?

DrTrouserPlank

Neo Member
Having just played my first free game of arena I absolutely can't see any fun it that whatsoever. You might as well be allocated 30 random cards because the deck building is little more than that. Seeing as you have no idea what you are going to be offered further down the line and at what mana cost the deck has zero synergy (other than by pure chance of you being offered decent cards) and as a result of having to just take random minions, any success you have with the deck is purely down to what order you draw the cards in (i.e. it will never have any consistency from game to game.)

My deck had almost no duplicated minions ( I was offered very few duplicates) and is just rubbish. Zero synergy, useless minions, few spells that I would want, absolute rubbish frankly. It would make much better sense for the cards to be offered to you in progressively increasing mana cost brackets rather than the pick-and-mix way they are now.

It's a shame because that has pretty much killed off a lot of the enthusiasm I had for the game seeing as I can now see that getting better cards (once boosters become inefficient) are locked behind such a ridiculous mode.

I would absolutely begrudge having to pay money to play that mode as it would become extremely costly seeing as it's never going to be self-supporting from a cost basis. You might get a lucky run one time and get a nice card and some money for another run or two, but the next five runs could easily be 0-3 with how completely random it is.

That whole mode strikes me as a massive dead end to progress. I kind of regret having spent money on boosters now :(

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Having just played my first free game of arena I absolutely can't see any fun it that whatsoever. You might as well be allocated 30 random cards because the deck building is little more than that.

You are wrong. You are very, very wrong. Arena has a different strategy from constructed and it's not nearly as random as you think it is. Use Arena Value while you are learning how to draft. Watch good players like Trump or Hafu do it. Best players consistently can win 8-12 games per draft.

zoukka

No what I was debating was that you negated the skill involved in constructed to be much less than in Arena, and in my oppinion that is simply wrong.

I think you took it too personally. My point is that arena is harder to play than constructed clear and simple.

ViviOggi

Having just played my first free game of arena I absolutely can't see any fun it that whatsoever. You might as well be allocated 30 random cards because the deck building is little more than that. Seeing as you have no idea what you are going to be offered further down the line and at what mana cost the deck has zero synergy (other than by pure chance of you being offered decent cards) and as a result of having to just take random minions, any success you have with the deck is purely down to what order you draw the cards in (i.e. it will never have any consistency from game to game.)

My deck had almost no duplicated minions ( I was offered very few duplicates) and is just rubbish. Zero synergy, useless minions, few spells that I would want, absolute rubbish frankly. It would make much better sense for the cards to be offered to you in progressively increasing mana cost brackets rather than the pick-and-mix way they are now.

It's a shame because that has pretty much killed off a lot of the enthusiasm I had for the game seeing as I can now see that getting better cards (once boosters become inefficient) are locked behind such a ridiculous mode.

I would absolutely begrudge having to pay money to play that mode as it would become extremely costly seeing as it's never going to be self-supporting from a cost basis. You might get a lucky run one time and get a nice card and some money for another run or two, but the next five runs could easily be 0-3 with how completely random it is.

That whole mode strikes me as a massive dead end to progress. I kind of regret having spent money on boosters now :(

giphye2juq.gif

Lyng

I think you took it too personally. My point is that arena is harder to play than constructed clear and simple.

I didn't take it personal. You are not the type a guy who attacks the person in a debate.
But I guess I misunderstood your first post, as too saying that Arena required a lot more skill, then to simply beeing harder.
I do agree that building a deck in arena requires at least some more understanding and skill then constructed.
I still believe the actual games in constructed can be harder then in arena.
If you offer a good and a bad player the exact same two decks the better player will always win. A really good player can still be handed a really shitty draft in Arena, giving a worse player who got lucky an upper hand in the actual match.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Card games need a draft mode. Draft is awesome. Taking out the card limit.. not awesome. But arena is NOT the main way to get cards. I acquired my entire collection 99% from constructed without a penny of real money spent. From January to June, and I now basically have every major deck available to me. That's pretty good game design for a f2p.

DrTrouserPlank

Neo Member
You are wrong. You are very, very wrong. Arena has a different strategy from constructed and it's not nearly as random as you think it is. Use Arena Value while you are learning how to draft. Watch good players like Trump or Hafu do it. Best players consistently can win 8-12 games per draft.

What's arena value?

I can't see me ever getting over the pick-and-mix way you have to pick. In a 30 card deck if the majority of your choices aren't duplicates (2x whatever minion or whatever spell) then you are playing a deck that relies purely on what order you draw the cards in to win, and that's obviously never going to be consistent.

Drawing 30 cards from a pool of 90 doesn't sound too bad in theory, but when it's done in groups of 3 with no knowledge of what's coming up then it's completely down to chance whether you can ever get any consistency in your deck. I'd prefer to be drawing 30 cards from a completely visible pool of 45 for example, or some other method that allows you to chose cards in the knowledge of what you have available to work with in other areas.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
What's arena value?

I can't see me ever getting over the pick-and-mix way you have to pick. In a 30 card deck if the majority of your choices aren't duplicates (2x whatever minion or whatever spell) then you are playing a deck that relies purely on what order you draw the cards in to win, and that's obviously never going to be consistent.

Drawing 30 cards from a pool of 90 doesn't sound too bad in theory, but when it's done in groups of 3 with no knowledge of what's coming up then it's completely down to chance whether you can ever get any consistency in your deck. I'd prefer to be drawing 30 cards from a completely visible pool of 45 for example, or some other method that allows you to chose cards in the knowledge of what you have available to work with in other areas.

I'm assuming you're a new player, in which case you shouldn't even really be in arena. Just play constructed for a bit and gain card knowledge. Then go back to the mode with a better understanding and you'll see how the deck building is not entirely rng.

Tarazet

So uh... I got this completely amazeballs Druid draft with pretty much all the value I ever needed in one deck. I got crushed in the first two games by vastly faster decks, but then went on a 6-game tear until I got comboed by a Shaman. I pretty much mulliganed for Claw and 2-drops and traded minions.

Any Arena guru got any ideas how I could have drafted this better?

http://arenavalue.com/s/ixSjcj#3

Apologies for the bump. I really had to make a lot of tough choices in this one.. Starfall vs. Argent Commander, Azure Drake vs. Keeper of the Grove, Ironfur Grizzly vs. MotW, Ironbark vs. Sen'jin Shieldmasta. I'd say about 20 of the cards were no-brainers, but there were a bunch that could have gone either way.

Acidote

Card games need a draft mode. Draft is awesome. Taking out the card limit.. not awesome. But arena is NOT the main way to get cards. I acquired my entire collection 99% from constructed without a penny of real money spent. From January to June, and I now basically have every major deck available to me. That's pretty good game design for a f2p.

I've been playing constructed since the very first days of the beta, maximizing quests and everything and I'm not even close to make most decks even if we don't take legendaries into account:
I'm missing both forces of nature, both ancients of war, one ancient of lore. I only have one flare though pretty much only one per deck is played. I have no eaglehorn bows, explosive shots, redirections or mufasas. I only have one ice block, one pyro and no blizzard. I don't have lay on hands. I only have one auchenai priest and no cabal. I have no preparations. I have no feral spirits and only one lightning storm and one earth elemental. No doomhammers. I have no shadowflame. I don't have any shield slams or brawls. I have one juggler, one ancestral watcher, no blood knight and only one harvest golem which I crafted until I craft the second later today. I have one defender of argus, one azure drake and one kodo. I have no faceless or auctioneers. I have one molten giant. No sea or mountain giants.

And then people gets surprised when I play zoo. Yeah, I think I'll be playing arenas soon too.

I'm an expert

I've been playing constructed since the very first days of the beta, maximizing quests and everything and I'm not even close to make most decks even if we don't take legendaries into account:
I'm missing both forces of nature, both ancients of war, one ancient of lore. I only have one flare though pretty much only one per deck is played. I have no eaglehorn bows, explosive shots, redirections or mufasas. I only have one ice block, one pyro and no blizzard. I don't have lay on hands. I only have one auchenai priest and no cabal. I have no preparations. I have no feral spirits and only one lightning storm and one earth elemental. No doomhammers. I have no shadowflame. I don't have any shield slams or brawls. I have one juggler, one ancestral watcher, no blood knight and only one harvest golem which I crafted until I craft the second later today. I have one defender of argus, one azure drake and one kodo. I have no faceless or auctioneers. I have one molten giant. No sea or mountain giants.

And then people gets surprised when I play zoo. Yeah, I think I'll be playing arenas soon too.

Something is wrong or you're leaving something out. I average exactly one pack opened a day from January to June. I'm taking out July because I bought all of Naxx with gold, but that would have been 28 packs. I'm not saying I have every single card in the game, I'm saying if I wanted to make any deck right now I could afford it with dust. Do you disenchant your cards? I find it hard to believe you've been playing since the first days of beta and don't have every class card, at least one copy. I filled out class cards (minus class leg for a few) probably within 4 months. It was neutrals that were the issue. I should add I disenchant nonplayed class cards all the time. So I will probably never concurrently have every single class card, but the option is technically there. sorry im writing this getting ready for work so its a bit jumbled

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Why are people botting in casual mode? What's the point?

scy

What's arena value?

The problem is you're looking at cards at an individual level. You don't care really about what specific card you draw, you care about how it fits your curve. You care about how the stats for the mana fare on average against cards around it cost wise. Look at card costs and stats, don't even think of the names of the cards.

@Arena vs Constructed: If drafting was more complex, I'd say Arena would be harder. Right now, the most I would say is Arena's skill floor is higher (since, well, you do still need to draft) but the ceiling is higher in Constructed currently. If we get to the point of being able to reliably draft synergies and themed decks out of Arena, that may change. Right now, it's crafting the most consistent aggro deck to zerg to ~7 wins for time value or the most consistent value deck to aim for 9+ for reward value.

Minsc

Gold Member
All the people claiming there's no skill to arena, just use this site to track your picks (download the client):
http://arenavalue.com/

Then post your draft (it gives you a link to share your draft). I'm guessing Scy will be more than happy to point out a dozen or more mistakes you made, if you care for drafting advice.

What's arena value?

The skill comes in ending up with a deck with enough playable cards (and counters) for turns 1, 2 and 3, that by turn 4, if you're playing against someone with no drafting skills who always took the better cards (instead of making a good curve), you'll have practically won the game already.

If you offer a good and a bad player the exact same two decks the better player will always win. A really good player can still be handed a really shitty draft in Arena, giving a worse player who got lucky an upper hand in the actual match.

This isn't really true either. If you give two people the same deck, the better player won't always win, not by a long shot. Draw is still fairly important, definitely important enough that it accounts for some percentage higher than 0.

Also, a really shitty draft in Arena can still go to 3-5 wins in a good player's hands.

Acidote

Something is wrong or you're leaving something out. I average exactly one pack opened a day from January to June. I'm taking out July because I bought all of Naxx with gold, but that would have been 28 packs. I'm not saying I have every single card in the game, I'm saying if I wanted to make any deck right now I could afford it with dust. Do you disenchant your cards? I find it hard to believe you've been playing since the first days of beta and don't have every class card, at least one copy. I filled out class cards (minus class leg for a few) probably within 4 months. It was neutrals that were the issue. I should add I disenchant nonplayed class cards all the time. So I will probably never concurrently have every single class card, but the option is technically there. sorry im writing this getting ready for work so its a bit jumbled

Dude I can screenshot every book page if you want it. I just have not been lucky with boosters and spent my dust crafting cards I needed primarily for rogue and warlock so I could make at least cheap consistent decks. And I did not add that I don't have a single one class legendary. The other day I opened 40 packs with all the gold I had been saving for naxxramas and didn't need in the end and the only legendary I got from it was Illidan.

By the way I play on EU so no reroll bug for me either.

CoolOff

Apologies for the bump. I really had to make a lot of tough choices in this one.. Starfall vs. Argent Commander, Azure Drake vs. Keeper of the Grove, Ironfur Grizzly vs. MotW, Ironbark vs. Sen'jin Shieldmasta. I'd say about 20 of the cards were no-brainers, but there were a bunch that could have gone either way.

Tbh I would've picked quite a few of them differently, but I can see why you picked how you picked.

2: Not a big fan of Claw and would probably have gone with one of the minions, I'd say they're on par with each other
3: Based on picking the minion, I'd go MOTW
4: Based on MOTW, I'd have gone Acolyte
5: Big fan of Ogre Magi in Druid, you tend to have a lot more 5s due to DotC so the 4-slot has some room and with Wrath + Swipe there's lots of potential for spelldamage
8: Argent
9: Sen'jin, fill up lower end of curve earlier

The rest I agree with. You just got unlucky going up early against fast decks that will have real problems going past the control mages that start appearing around 5-6 wins.

zoukka

Claw's are awesome since a one mana utility card fixes your curve very nicely. Filling your deck with minions is one way to lose in arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom