• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I really need to start making my arena runs work for me off more than just 5 wins. In fact I've honestly starting going in a few three win runs and even had a 0 win one last week from picking hunter lol. I really do want to blame rng in quite a few losses but I know there is something I can do to improve. The two most mentioned arena streamers are Kripp and guardsman bob when it comes to arena, right? Do I just watch some vods? Is really like to start earning good quantities of dust so I can fill my collections holes. I'm done buying packs.
Hafu does a lot of Arena too and has done some drafts with other streamers where they debate the cards, which can be helpful. She also sometimes does drafts on her own where she explains every decision so she is better than Kripp in that respect for learning. However, she plays music on her stream so the VODs are muted during some spots because of copyright BS.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
My legendaries are Illidan, Hogger, Greenskin and Mimirons Head. Should I dust every single one of them?
Nah, Greenskin and Hogger are fine. Illidan might get buffed in the future (LOL)

KePoW

Banned
With two of the qualified players, Ostkaka and Ignite, winning their respective groups, in addition to Hoej winning the House Cup, are we at the point now where the average Hearthstone player is just as good if not better than these established pros?

RNG boys

That's how HS is designed and I love it as a casual new card game player

I don't care competitive balance lol

johnsmith

remember me
Okay I really need to start making my arena runs work for me off more than just 5 wins. In fact I've honestly starting going in a few three win runs and even had a 0 win one last week from picking hunter lol. I really do want to blame rng in quite a few losses but I know there is something I can do to improve. The two most mentioned arena streamers are Kripp and guardsman bob when it comes to arena, right? Do I just watch some vods? Is really like to start earning good quantities of dust so I can fill my collections holes. I'm done buying packs.
No, Kripp sucks. He never explains his plays and you won't learn from him.
If your goal is to learn then watch Ratsmah or ADWCTA. Even Hafu would be better than Kripp. Guardsmanbob is ok.

http://www.twitch.tv/adwcta/
http://www.twitch.tv/ratsmah/

Dahbomb

I really really like that very few of the new cards in BRM involve any inherent RNG and very few involve annoying deathrattle mechanics.

GvG went fucking ham with the RNG. Dr Balanced, Madder Bomber, Unstable Portal, Piloted Shredder, Sky Golem, Sneeds, spare parts randomness etc.

Type2

Hafu does a lot of Arena too and has done some drafts with other streamers where they debate the cards, which can be helpful. She also sometimes does drafts on her own where she explains every decision so she is better than Kripp in that respect for learning. However, she plays music on her stream so the VODs are muted during some spots because of copyright BS.

No, Kripp sucks. He never explains his plays and you won't learn from him.
If your goal is to learn then watch Ratsmah or ADWCTA. Even Hafu would be better than Kripp. Guardsmanbob is ok.

http://www.twitch.tv/adwcta/
http://www.twitch.tv/ratsmah/

Thank you! I watched one Kripp stream and all he did was super fast draft some good arena card with no synergy, complain about rng over and over and still easily pull out an 8 win streak. Ill check out the other streamers.

Sokka

Died three times at Ragnaros. Any tips? What's the best class to use against him?

I defeated him using this Basic Shaman deck https://i.imgur.com/fshP93G.png someone had posted on Reddit recently.
Get board control and fill your side of the board, make sure to keep Majordomo at around 20 health so he doesn't throw out cheap molten giants. Once you have enough minions on the board use bloodlust to kill Majordomo and Ragnaros in one go.

Rapstah

Half the time they don't even use them with an overload spell at all. I've seen them go full Dennis and coin it out to hit face.

A lot of the time, deciding what to do first and then sorting the moves in order of what does the most damage to your opponent and the least to you would make the boss AI ten times better. I have to assume it is intentionally as shit as it is now because it's either this or perfect AI, which would be impossible to beat.

Thaurissan's wife attacking before Thaurissan does anything seems intentional. He doesn't control her, so he can't use Dark Iron Dwarves on her to get more face damage.

Tacitus_

Died three times at Ragnaros. Any tips? What's the best class to use against him?

I beat him with a midrange shaman with raggy on board. When he popped I just cleared the board and destroyed his armor, allowing my Rag to kill him. Seemed fitting (and slightly annoying that there was no VA for playing rag against him)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

I used a taunt heavy no combo ramp druid. He couldn't deal with kelthuzad. I even used MCT to steal a molten giant for luls. Just build a scary board and kill him.

Rapstah

Mill rogue with Gang Up seemed really good against Executus when Kripparrian played it briefly before the tournament stream started. It looked like it was really easy to fill Executus' hand with Molten Giants and then mill him until he died in two turns from fatigue.

Levi

Banned
My legendaries are Illidan, Hogger, Greenskin and Mimirons Head. Should I dust every single one of them?

The worst of those is Mimiron's so if you're desperate for dust consider that one first.

I'd hang onto them, your collection will grow and I find I regret dusting the cards I did now that I have a better card catalog.

Rapstah

Executus can be added to the list of cards with a really nice-looking graphical effect that no one will ever play. Probably the best-looking summoning animation for a legendary.

Zemm

With two of the qualified players, Ostkaka and Ignite, winning their respective groups, in addition to Hoej winning the House Cup, are we at the point now where the average Hearthstone player is just as good if not better than these established pros?

I think it's been that way for a long time. You combine the low skill ceiling and the inherent RNG of the game and the gap between players who aren't brain-dead isn't going to be much if anything. I'm sure there are hundreds, maybe thousands of players better than Forsen, Kungen, Alesh, Gnimsh etc (just players I consider bad tournament players at SeatStory) but I'd rather watch Forsen than a random guy you've never heard of.

Rapstah

If unknowns beat Reynad in the first round of every tournament from now on, that's basically free entertainment in my book.

jblank83

Reynad is salty to the point where it's not funny anymore.

Everytime he boots up Hearthstone he looks like he's going to cry or drink himself to death.

Guy needs to go do something else.

Dahbomb

So is Blizzard still going to play coy after the performance of Dr Balanced in this tournament?

Card has been absolutely disgusting all day long.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
HAHAHAHA I'M DYING

So I decided to try out Majordomo against NOVICE PRIEST AI.

This guy did NOTHING except healing himself and putting out READY FOR ACTIONS and Elven Archers... I get my Majordomo killed (equality) and as soon as I become Ragnaros, before I even try out the hero power, look what the novice AI did to me:
INoKT4Q.jpg

rxMFzxE.jpg

Ahahahahhahahahahaha

Rapstah

I highly suspect the difference between the "novice" and "expert" opponents is just the quality of their decks and not how they play.

Ashodin

HAHAHAHA I'M DYING

So I decided to try out Majordomo against NOVICE PRIEST AI.

This guy did NOTHING except healing himself and putting out READY FOR ACTIONS and Elven Archers... I get my Majordomo killed (equality) and as soon as I become Ragnaros, before I even try out the hero power, look what the novice AI did to me:

Ahahahahhahahahahaha

What a shitty legendary. Still think it could work in Warrior though (armor up!)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Executus can be added to the list of cards with a really nice-looking graphical effect that no one will ever play. Probably the best-looking summoning animation for a legendary.

I still prefer Bolvar's but I do like his as well. Dammit blizzard.

Rapstah

I still prefer Bolvar's but I do like his as well. Dammit blizzard.

Toshley is another really nice effect that you never see because Toshley is only run in tournament-level control priest decks for no reason at all. Seriously, why?

If Executus removes armour it's almost a good play in these extended control warrior matchups we've seen dozens on in the tournament. Have an empty board against an enemy Sylvanas, play Executus, kill Sylvanas with Shield Slam or Execute, win the game.

Special C

I had really good luck with my Legendaries. First was Al' Akir, then Jaraxxsus. Next was Cairne (who was top tier at the time) My first "bad" one was King Krush. After that i got Grommash and TBK.

I got a Golden Harrison, but I dusted him for Slyvanas. I know Harrison is good but I needed Slyvanus pretty badly.

GvG I've not been so Lucky. Blingtron. Mimirons Head, and FoeReaper.

Magnus

I kind of dig Velen's arrival on the board. With Emperor being a thing, I think I'm finally going to craft one; that burst potential on turn 10. No one sees it coming.

-

My first legendary = Mukla. DE'd days later.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Toshley is another really nice effect that you never see because Toshley is only run in tournament-level control priest decks for no reason at all. Seriously, why?

If Executus removes armour it's almost a good play in these extended control warrior matchups we've seen dozens on in the tournament. Have an empty board against an enemy Sylvanas, play Executus, kill Sylvanas with Shield Slam or Execute, win the game.

Meanwhile they give Rend Blackhand an assassinate animation and the end of turn Emperor thing is reused again.

Thank you! I watched one Kripp stream and all he did was super fast draft some good arena card with no synergy, complain about rng over and over and still easily pull out an 8 win streak. Ill check out the other streamers.

Watch Adwcta's and Merps' "Arena Coop" series. They're the guys who run the HearthArena website. Once a week they do a run together (co-op, coop) and discuss every pick and debatable play. They are both extremely good. I used to watch Hafu (back during Naxx-era), but they're on another level, and with much less distraction.

https://www.youtube.com/user/adwcta/playlists?shelf_id=2&sort=dd&view=50

Just pick a run for a class you like and you'll learn a lot. Make an account and use their site during drafts for deck/class adjusted card values (it also keeps a record of all your runs, winrates etc.). The card valuer tries to adjust for deck synergies and your curve needs. Obviously you don't follow it like a religion, but it often suggests something relevant I hadn't thought of.

Rapstah

Wait, what, 50% of donations to the Seatstory cup go to the prize pool? It looks really bad for a tournament with 60 000 viewers to have to take donations to keep running. You'd think the chair company would pay a ton for how many of those commercials they have to run.

Wait, what, 50% of donations to the Seatstory cup go to the prize pool? It looks really bad for a tournament with 60 000 viewers to have to take donations to keep running. You'd think the chair company would pay a ton for how many of those commercials they have to run.

Just because they call it a donation doesn't make it a donation. The tournament is a business and it is another revenue stream.

CoolOff

So has Face Hunter been pushed out of the meta? By what exactly? I'm getting maybe 1/10 over the last few days on average EU-ranks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom