• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Has any blizz dev commented on how draft works in Arena? Are the 30 rounds preset once you choose your hero or is it adaptive based on your picks in the subsequent round? It'd be interesting to know..
It has to be preset otherwise people would try to game the system.

The dangers of unsafe lightning storms. lol, never had a hyena get this high. Is that 11 beast deaths.

MSj0FZa.jpg

caesar

Banned
Imp gang boss pretty good card.

Dunno why people get mad at ropecoach.... OMG HE USED THE ENTIRE 90 SECONDS OF TIME THAT BLIZZ GAVE HIM IN A TOURNEY

Number 1 on gosugamers boys

Absinthe

My first time posting in this thread but I've been lurking/playing HS for quite a while.

Does anyone else feel the game has become one dimensional? I keep seeing the exact same decks during ladder and I'm starting to lose interest. Even though the game is still fun and I understand why people just look up the most successful decks to play those, it's getting so repetitive lately.

When I first started playing it felt like there was more creativity and I would see some inventive combinations played. Now, it's just the same match over and over with different users playing the cards.

Sometimes I feel the internet has ruined games like this because instead of crafting a creative well thought out deck, people just look online for the most popular deck and run that.

My first time posting in this thread but I've been lurking/playing HS for quite a while.

Does anyone else feel the game has become one dimensional? I keep seeing the exact same decks during ladder and I'm starting to lose interest. Even though the game is still fun and I understand why people just look up the most successful decks to play those, it's getting so repetitive lately.

When I first started playing it felt like there was more creativity and I would see some inventive combinations played. Now, it's just the same match over and over with different users playing the cards.

Sometimes I feel the internet has ruined games like this because instead of crafting a creative well thought out deck, people just look online for the most popular deck and run that.

Kinda why I like playing Arena more...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The game basically encourages nothing but winning for your time. The quests for classes reflect that, as does the general ranking up and the gold per 3 wins. As long as that's in place people are gonna just netdeck the best stuff as gimmicky shit, while it has amazing games at times, aren't really efficient to play regarding the actual in game economy.

...which sucks pretty bad.

The game basically encourages nothing but winning for your time. The quests for classes reflect that, as does the general ranking up and the gold per 3 wins. As long as that's in place people are gonna just netdeck the best stuff as gimmicky shit, while it has amazing games at times, aren't really efficient to play regarding the actual in game economy.

I dunno...netdecking stifling creativity is an issue with any popular card game these days.

Absinthe

Kinda why I like playing Arena more...

Arena is exciting when it works. I like seeing cards that I haven't seen in ladder for a while.

Agreed, so how does blizzard fix it?

The most disappointing thing is I really love playing HS, and it's just become so monotonous playing against the exact same decks. Even with a decent win rate, I'm just going through motions because the builds are so predictable.

caesar

Banned
Arena is exciting when it works. I like seeing cards that I haven't seen in ladder for a while.

Agreed, so how does blizzard fix it?

The most disappointing thing is I really love playing HS, and it's just become so monotonous playing against the exact same decks. Even with a decent win rate, I'm just going through motions because the builds are so predictable.

Theres a wide variety of viable decks right now, it should continue to improve as the card pool increases.

Dahbomb

Can't do much about netdecking. They have Arena in there for that purpose.

All Blizzard can do to improve Ladder is to have better balance in the game and a bigger card pool.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Arena's far more monotonous than constructed. There are only a few viable common cards to choose from, and you're gonna see them in basically every game.

Even if zoolocks are all the same, and demonlocks are all the same, at least it's very different to play against the two. Arena you're basically going against the same exact deck every time, with only a few minor surprises.

It's funny that you say that in a time where grim patron warrior and mill rogue are the flavor of the month decks right now. And with things like dragon paladin on the horizon, one can expect the meta to shake up again. Gone are the days where one could play against warrior and rogue and be able to pin them as control and oil.

Absinthe

It's funny that you say that in a time where grim patron warrior and mill rogue are the flavor of the month decks right now. And with things like dragon paladin on the horizon, one can expect the meta to shake up again. Gone are the days where one could play against warrior and rogue and be able to pin them as control and oil.

This is true, I do think Blackrock may shake things up. Overall it's good, I know over time it will improve and I may be generalizing a little.

It's is amusing to see a new build on a stream and immediately see that same build in play as if everyone is waiting for "the next greatest hearthstone deck on twitch this week"

Maybe they can start to add dailies based around cards. "Win a game playing at least 2 Murloc cards." Stuff like that. A while back Kripp surmised that Blizzard will be adding achivements to the game in the future, which may force people to do more interesting things to get them.

I like this idea or something like it. Give people incentive to change things up.

Maybe they can start to add dailies based around cards. "Win a game playing at least 2 Murloc cards." Stuff like that. A while back Kripp surmised that Blizzard will be adding achivements to the game in the future, which may force people to do more interesting things to get them.

Holy shit I just had the perfect moment for Trolden vid. Rolled up a bunch of hunter dallies so decided to just do some face hunter and get it over with. I get him down to 3 health before running out of steam. He builds his board and is now only 1 turn from killing me. He passes and I draw my Mad Scientist. I play him, ping, and pass. Dud decides that instead of killing me he is going to BM and kills my MS getting me Explosive Trap! All he had to do was attack me with any of his creatures and he would have won! Hahahaha

clav

Arena's far more monotonous than constructed. There are only a few viable common cards to choose from, and you're gonna see them in basically every game.

Even if zoolocks are all the same, and demonlocks are all the same, at least it's very different to play against the two. Arena you're basically going against the same exact deck every time, with only a few minor surprises.

No wonder people are getting bored streaming this game.

Dahbomb

If they didn't play the same deck over and over and experiment, which I rarely see raynad do, then you don't get bored
The Reynad cycle of salt:

*"Hey guys going to stream for quite a while today."

*Picks some random deck, loses to RNG.

*"See this is why this game sucks, can't use fun decks because reasons."

*Switches to aggro deck loses anyway to Kezan Mystic.

*"Of course as soon as I start streaming people start sniping me and start teching in Kezan to counter my deck."

*Loses another game, salt starts over flowing.

*"Why do I even play this game? Actually it's because its my job because if it wasn't there was no way I would play this game" Shuts off stream.

ViviOggi

For some reason I just clicked through a bunch of flavor texts and the difference in quality between vanilla and the expansions is staggering. While most vanilla texts are so random xD and/or feature puns so awful even I can't smirk at them the later ones are often reasonably witty or at least don't make me perma-cringe.

One of my favs:

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
If they didn't play the same deck over and over and experiment, which I rarely see raynad do, then you don't get bored

I don't think I ever play the same game for more than 4 months. There's really nothing that could stop me from getting bored if I played the same game as much as they have.

As for the constructed meta, I really do believe it's as diverse as you can possibly hope for. If just any deck could make it to top legend for the sake of fun then there would be no skill involved in deck creations.

If you want to have fun and just create crazy decks with the hopes you'll find something that works, you can still do that, you just have to accept that it's usually not going to make you rank 1 legend. But there's still a real chance for something new to work. Tempo mage, oil rogue, and demon-handlock were all pretty recent additions to the meta, and I'm sure there's other decks like that waiting to be discovered..

And most net decks are still fairly customizable. I'm still doing fine at rank 7 with a mech mage deck that removes Clockwork Gnomes and Antonidas for harvest golems and Mimiron to get the more difficult but more fun kill move. Even snuck a Black Knight in there for that extra fu to Druids. It's undeniably worse than a straight netdeck, but not so much that it's unwinnable. Blingtron + Water Elemental combos also work while still keeping the most insane parts of Mech Mage intact.

Rapstah

I like the suggestion of more specific quests. They would be generated out of what is in your collection, so players without any cards would get basically the current quests and people with an almost complete collection would get the crazy specific stuff. "Win 3 games in any mode and score the killing blow with Onyxia."

ViviOggi

Fucking Shaman kids drawing Chow, Hex, Earth Shock, Rockbiter, 2 Storms and 2 Fire Eles in 13 cards and keep rolling the perfect totems to boot

Still won, Paladin is so dumb

Magnus

What

I don't understand this. In arena, I see the most unpredictable, mismatched, unorganized, surprising decks all the time. It's just a product of how they're put together. How are you fighting the same or similar decks in arena repeatedly? It feels like you could swap arena and constructed in your post and it would make more sense. :p

Rapstah

Has tempo mage been underperforming this tournament? It's a weird deck, it's just putting every standard Mage card into a deck and using the intended spell synergy to win. Usually the good decks use unintended synergy instead.

Brakara

What

I don't understand this. In arena, I see the most unpredictable, mismatched, unorganized, surprising decks all the time. It's just a product of how they're put together. How are you fighting the same or similar decks in arena repeatedly?

The problem with arena is that it's a big fucking magefest. Last time I played, I faced 6 mages in a row (went 3-3), which made me throw up a little.

Rapstah

They spent like a full minute complaining that Ignite wasn't doing the "obvious" Auchenai/Circle/Zombie Chow play and then when he did it and the Auchenai also died from the Circle because of Velen's Chosen they acted like no one would have known that was going to happen. Chat was saying it all along.

They spent like a full minute complaining that Ignite wasn't doing the "obvious" Auchenai/Circle/Zombie Chow play and then when he did it and the Auchenai also died from the Circle because of Velen's Chosen they acted like no one would have known that was going to happen. Chat was saying it all along.

Well, chat has 60k people in it. Of course *somebody* will see it.
But I bet most people would have made the same mistake.
I would have.

Rapstah

de0ea601.png

Randomly picks between a 0/2 Healing Elekk, a 1/1 Searing Elekk, a 0/2 Stoneclaw Elekk with Taunt, and a Wrath of Air Elekk with Spell Damage +1.

Edit: This assumes there's some other Beast synergy cards added to Shaman because it turns out there isn't a single card available to Shaman that benefits from the totems being Beasts instead of Totems.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
de0ea601.png

Randomly picks between a 0/2 Healing Elekk, a 1/1 Searing Elekk, a 0/2 Stoneclaw Elekk with Taunt, and a Wrath of Air Elekk with Spell Damage +1.

Edit: This assumes there's some other Beast synergy cards added to Shaman because it turns out there isn't a single card available to Shaman that benefits from the totems being Beasts instead of Totems.

2 mana and a whole card just for beast synergy seems kinda bad.

Also you kind of need something to make a second copy not useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom