• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

KePoW

Banned
More like people try out slow decks when there's a new expansion/set of cards which get crushed by Mill decks and then people realize they were stupid for playing slow decks so they go back to playing aggro decks which crush Mill/Fatigue decks.

Do the new slow decks always beat agro decks though??

Dahbomb

Do the new slow decks always beat agro decks though??
If you gear your deck towards an aggressive meta then yes they can beat it. Double Zombie Chows, lots of heals, lots of AOEs, cheap removals and lots of Taunts. Problem is that the more anti aggro deck you make the more likely you are to lose to a greedy control deck which maximizes on value.

Levi

Banned
I got some dust I want to spend what should be my next Leg?
Alexatraza
Black knight
Tirion
Rag

Thoughts?

Tirion might be the best class legendary in the game, and Paladin is really strong right now and maybe getting a lot stronger with BRM.

Alex and Rag are great, not sure how essential they are outside of specific decks.

Black Knight's value fluctuates depending on the meta. He kills Annoyotrons and part of a Belcher. He's strongest against Taunt Druid and Handlock, but neither are very common right now in my experiences.

I'd go Tirion but I really enjoy Paladin.

KePoW

Banned
If you gear your deck towards an aggressive meta then yes they can beat it. Double Zombie Chows, lots of heals, lots of AOEs, cheap removals and lots of Taunts. Problem is that the more anti aggro deck you make the more likely you are to lose to a greedy control deck which maximizes on value.

ok got it

Does it have Emperor Balanced and Dr Balanced?

If so then it will do well.

If not then it probably won't do all that well.

Edit: Yeah it has both of those Legendaries so it will get carried by the balanced stuff.

Beast druid is still way worse than traditional druid, though. A 2/5 sort of sucks and it's not worth having 6 cards in your deck just so you can play a 7/7 on turn 5 if you get lucky.

KePoW

Banned
Tirion might be the best class legendary in the game, and Paladin is really strong right now and maybe getting a lot stronger with BRM.

Alex and Rag are great, not sure how essential they are outside of specific decks.

Black Knight's value fluctuates depending on the meta. He kills Annoyotrons and part of a Belcher. He's strongest against Taunt Druid and Handlock, but neither are very common right now in my experiences.

I'd go Tirion but I really enjoy Paladin.

do u know if TIRION is a lot better than ANTONIDAS for certain mage decks???

Levi

Banned
Beast druid is still way worse than traditional druid, though. A 2/5 sort of sucks and it's not worth having 6 cards in your deck just so you can play a 7/7 on turn 5 if you get lucky.

Cutting chows and shades for Druids of the Flame and Haunted Creepers seems bad to me. Beast Druid still needs something else to be high tier, some new synergy card or something.

Watching Trump play I would cut ET for Azure Drake, he needs more draw in this deck and ET when you're in top deck mode is pretty bad.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I got some dust I want to spend what should be my next Leg?
Alexatraza
Black knight
Tirion
Rag

Thoughts?

Alex is obiously great in warrior and freeze mage. It might be OK in specific builds of dragon paladin

Black knight has been in few decks in the last two months but that could change if big taunts become popular again with dragons getting argused or whatever. Black Knight used to be very popular because before Sludge Belcher people ran things like Shieldmasta and Sunwalker and ramp druid with Ancient of War was relatively popular. Killing a Sludge Belcher is good but the 1/2 slime still eats some extra damage in a lot of cases so it's not as good as it used to be. I've barely used it since i crafted it a year ago but Sludge Belcher might become less popular because Hungry Dragon (a 4 drop) will one shot the front end of it.

Rag is becoming a little more popular again but it had fallen out of favor because random rag shots are obviously not good vs minion rush decks that always have many small minions on board. Almost everyone is already running one big game hunter to kill dr. balanced so it could be a decent follow up to punish bgh assuming you get a chance to play them in that order (which is the problem). It's good in specific decks though.

Tirion is one of the best legendaries in the game but opponents obviously know that so he tends to get silenced from an owl the opponent was banking the entire game so you sometimes need to hang on to it until later in the game if you didn't play it out on curve (you're happy if he gets Black Knight). I always feel like I could run a young brewmaster to replay him after the silence (or just replay aldor/healbot) if I could only find room in a 30 card deck. He also can get revived from Kel Thuzad I suppose although that rarely happens.

It depends on what classes you play really.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Trump is streaming beast druid right now. Trying to make that Druid of the Flame, Druid of the fang synergy work.

It still has combo, ramp, e.t. and violet teacher so I think that'll carry the deck more than beast synergy will.

I tried a deck with beast fang synergy and it lost me like 4 ranks. Mainly because bgh on the fangs is disastrous. It doesn't matter if you can play rag or boom later uncontested if you completely lost tempo because Druid can get easily card starved depending on the order of draws and has trouble coming back from behind. Druid of the Flame isn't terrible and helps vs hunter, paladin, etc but it's not particularly helpful vs mech mage which has several 2/3 for early minions and curves out much faster. When you get the 7/7 fangs out it can be good but it's a lot less good than it seems in concept.

Levi

Banned
yaThPYV.png

"When you play the Hearth of Stones, you win or you concede."

Via the Hearthstone Facebook.

Levi

Banned
Speaking of Trump, why do people hate him so much?

Fuck Trump started because he puts his chat in sub mode when it gets too full and twitch viewers are entitled little shits who resent not being able to spew filth at him while he plays. So they spammed Fuck Trump at him whenever his chat wasn't in sub mode. That phrase started to be automatically censored, which is where Tuck Frump comes from.

Tldr fuck twitch chat.

JesseZao

Fuck Trump started because he puts his chat in sub mode when it gets too full and twitch viewers are entitled little shits who resent not being able to spew filth at him while he plays. So they spammed Fuck Trump at him whenever his chat wasn't in sub mode. That phrase started to be automatically censored, which is where Tuck Frump comes from.

Tldr fuck twitch chat.

Or he's just incredibly bland and most people would rather watch paint dry like mentioned above.

Levi

Banned
Or he's just incredibly bland and most people would rather watch paint dry like mentioned above.

Then they can watch something else. It's not like there aren't 100 people streaming Hearthstone any given moment. These people spend a lot of time and energy focused on this guy. Pretty fucking sad.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

That would explain why people might not like him, but it doesn't explain why people hate him.

It's fine to have opinions about streamers and to talk about them, but it's rather annoying that you can't mention a streamer without everyone coming out with their critiques about them.

Even the best arena players in the world go zero for three sometimes. I never know if I lost because of my draft, my play, or because I had no chance no matter what I did because the other guy got offered better cards. The arena rewards suck, I'm only missing 4 gvg cards so my gold is better spent on classic packs, I'm missing 11 or 12 of those cards.

Trump hasn't gone less than 3 wins in arena in months, playing arena nearly daily. An occasional 3 win run should be expected, but you could probably be drafting or playing better if you're getting less than 3 wins.

clav

Beating people who have legendary and adventure cards is somewhat satisfying.

Reinforces the fact that the game isn't completely F2P.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
do u know if TIRION is a lot better than ANTONIDAS for certain mage decks???

Tirion is pretty much an insta-include in any Paladin deck. Antonidas is pretty good in mech mage but I don't think he's mandatory. I'd always craft Tirion before Antonidas, unless you always played mage or something.

keuja

I dont think people really hate trump. The whole tuckfrump just started as a fad and has become almost like a tradition. He is still an immensely popular streamer.

Joco

Who else plays on an Android tablet? I'm wondering because in January I bought a Nexus 9 almost solely for the purpose of playing Hearthstone. In terms of being able to play comfortably the tablet handily beats my laptop. And I like the touch interface more than the mouse/touchpad of a laptop.

However, the amount of times I get disconnected from games using the tablet is absolutely terrible. I can't count the number of times I've been playing a match and wondering why my opponent is taking so long, only to realize I've lost connection. Sometimes I can quickly close the app, restart it, and reconnect and make some moves before the rope on my turn burns out, but other times not. I've had win streaks ruined and arena runs come to an end because of the disconnections. I don't think it's my internet, as this problem is basically nonexistent on my laptop.

Basically I'm just wondering how other people's experiences on Android playing Hearthstone have been, if there are any others here. Maybe this is a specific Nexus 9 problem, I don't know.

Who else plays on an Android tablet? I'm wondering because in January I bought a Nexus 9 almost solely for the purpose of playing Hearthstone. In terms of being able to play comfortably the tablet handily beats my laptop. And I like the touch interface more than the mouse/touchpad of a laptop.

However, the amount of times I get disconnected from games using the tablet is absolutely terrible. I can't count the number of times I've been playing a match and wondering why my opponent is taking so long, only to realize I've lost connection. Sometimes I can quickly close the app, restart it, and reconnect and make some moves before the rope on my turn burns out, but other times not. I've had win streaks ruined and arena runs come to an end because of the disconnections. I don't think it's my internet, as this problem is basically nonexistent on my laptop.

Basically I'm just wondering how other people's experiences on Android playing Hearthstone have been, if there are any others here. Maybe this is a specific Nexus 9 problem, I don't know.

That's my experience on iPad...I love playing it on a tablet but the connection always is spotty. The worst is when this happens on an arena run. any disconnect is an automatic loss.

Levi

Banned
Trump hasn't gone less than 3 wins in arena in months, playing arena nearly daily. An occasional 3 win run should be expected, but you could probably be drafting or playing better if you're getting less than 3 wins.

My last few runs were 5 wins, 1 win, 3 wins. I don't enjoy arena, losing feels much worse there than in any other mode, and honestly I just don't need or want GVG packs. I'm not going to try arena again until new packs come out or they let you choose to get classic packs.

My last few runs were 5 wins, 1 win, 3 wins. I don't enjoy arena, losing feels much worse there than in any other mode, and honestly I just don't need or want GVG packs. I'm not going to try arena again until new packs come out or they let you choose to get classic packs.

I have become a much better arena player after really diving into constructed for a while. I think it made be just a better player in so many ways that it translated to arena in a positive way.

I play almost exclusively on an Asus tablet, and I don't really have any connection issues. My tablet froze in the middle of a game the other day, but my internet connection is usually pretty stable. I haven't noticed any more disconnects than when I used to play on my PC. There is a really annoying bug when you're building decks where any card you remove freezes on the page and blocks your view, though.

Sitting on enough dust for 2 legendaries and I have no clue what to make.

My short list of stuff I want to craft is Ysera, Jaraxxus, Grommash, Cenarius, Vol'jin, Mal'Ganis, Gallywix and Toshley.

Cenarius, Gallywix and Toshley can probably wait a while. I feel like Jaraxxus and Mal'Ganis are kind of a package deal so I'm tempted to just craft them now which would open the door for me to play stuff like Demonlock. Ysera could be getting a significant buff over the next few weeks from BRM which makes her hard to resist. Grommash and Vol'jin are just fantastic for their respective classes. I just really can't decide.

TheChaos0

I play on my Nexus 9 from time to time, not had any major problems so far.

suaveric

My iPad has the same issues. I can't really play in it because I'm constantly checking to make sure I didn't drop the connection.

SteveWD40

I had that issue for a while on my old iPad / Router combo, but I changed both and now it's fine, not sure which was the issue but I would lean that it was my router.

Now it's the only way I play HS.

Milennia

Ok gaf, spoiled dilemma I have here

I don't know whether to craft the cards I need to finish freeze Mage

2x doomsayer
1x pyroblast

Or malganis for demonlock (I have like every deck in the game besides some lock variations and shaman/priest, priest I am only missing cabals)

I don't have the dust to make any more liens but I have 2 mountains, but for demonlock all I'm missing are the 2 implosions and the malganis

OR do you guys think I should throw the dust I have at a baron, since it's like the only control warrior card I don't have and many variations (recent and pas tournament) don't even play the card, which is where I am conflicted here

Can only make 1 of these options :/

Dragner

Ok gaf, spoiled dilemma I have here

I don't know whether to craft the cards I need to finish freeze Mage

2x doomsayer
1x pyroblast

Or malganis for demonlock (I have like every deck in the game besides some lock variations and shaman/priest, priest I am only missing cabals)

I don't have the dust to make any more liens but I have 2 mountains, but for demonlock all I'm missing are the 2 implosions and the malganis

OR do you guys think I should throw the dust I have at a baron, since it's like the only control warrior card I don't have and many variations (recent and pas tournament) don't even play the card, which is where I am conflicted here

Can only make 1 of these options :/

I dont think Baron is strong enough to deserve a craft. He is only played on control warrior and isnt even a staple of that deck.

I would chose for whatever deck you think you will enjoy the most. Freeze mage is ok but you will have a lot of frustrating loses (The random Kezan Mystic or Flare) but in the right meta the deck is a machine, but you have some impossible matches otherwise (you will never beat control warrior).

Demonlock on the other hand is a really fun deck, that you can custom to beat anything and is really strong but can be bad with the amount of druids in the meta right now.

All options have props and cons, I would choose Malganis, Malganis decks are great and fun.

Milennia

I dont think Baron is strong enough to deserve a craft. He is only played on control warrior and isnt even a staple of that deck.

I would chose for whatever deck you think you will enjoy the most. Freeze mage is ok but you will have a lot of frustrating loses (The random Kezan Mystic or Flare) but in the right meta the deck is a machine, but you have some impossible matches otherwise (you will never beat control warrior).

Demonlock on the other hand is a really fun deck, that you can custom to beat anything and is really strong but can be bad with the amount of druids in the meta right now.

All options have props and cons, I would choose Malganis, Malganis decks are great and fun.

thanks for the input =D

i am actually seeing a ton of zoo decks on ladder at the moment (ranks 9-5), so thats where the freeze mage idea came in, since zoo is getting more popular i figure druids will eventually take a stall making way for their counterparts

not having molten giants makes this an annoying decision, otherwise i would be all for it -.- only way i would be able to craft those is by dusting stuff like malygos which i dont use but is a great fun deck card

JSR_Cube

I got up early this morning and I guess all of the face hunters were still sleeping. I must have played 9 or 10 games in a row without facing one and I actually enjoyed playing.

Shai-Tan

Banned
That's my experience on iPad...I love playing it on a tablet but the connection always is spotty. The worst is when this happens on an arena run. any disconnect is an automatic loss.

if something seems fishy I'll often just close hearthstone and rejoin as quick as possible instead of sticking around wating. games seem to reconnect ok most of the time

Shai-Tan

Banned
I play almost exclusively on an Asus tablet, and I don't really have any connection issues. My tablet froze in the middle of a game the other day, but my internet connection is usually pretty stable. I haven't noticed any more disconnects than when I used to play on my PC. There is a really annoying bug when you're building decks where any card you remove freezes on the page and blocks your view, though.

It happens on both ios and android so I think it's some kind of bug in the client

Shai-Tan

Banned
Get a Nexus 7, can't recommend it enough.

to me it runs pretty crappy on the Nexus 7 (2013) compared to ipad. I was wondering how well it runs on Nvidia Shield though (I personally prefer 7 inch tablets and that seems to be the only game in town unless something new comes to market)

ViviOggi

Okay, so for other arena-specialists out there, I need some input. Was 9-2 with this deck:

http://www.heartharena.com/arena-run/1og509

With this starting hand:

What do you mulligan and why?

I kept all which I immediately regretted, but it worked out really well because the mage started super slow.

Tough one, Cleric with Velen's is insane in arena but especially against Mage it's unlikely to survive turn 2. Either toss both 3s to fish for a 2/PW:S or keep all if you're feeling lucky imo. Riskiest move would be tossing only the Spider Tank, considering your curve you might end up with two >3-drops and your Cleric frostbolted at which point you will rip in al pacino

bjaelke

Okay, so for other arena-specialists out there, I need some input. Was 9-2 with this deck:

http://www.heartharena.com/arena-run/1og509

With this starting hand:

What do you mulligan and why?

I kept all which I immediately regretted, but it worked out really well because the mage started super slow.

I'd actually consider dropping the Cleric (and Velen's). You have a decent amount of small minions in the deck, so you'd probably be able to play your hand without having to dig/draw. Chow, Armani, Juggler and Annoy-a-tron would be worth mulliganing for. Cleric often eats a frostbolt before getting any value.

Lunch_Box_

Neo Member
to me it runs pretty crappy on the Nexus 7 (2013) compared to ipad. I was wondering how well it runs on Nvidia Shield though (I personally prefer 7 inch tablets and that seems to be the only game in town unless something new comes to market)

I only recommended the Nexus 7 from a value point of view. If you're looking to purchase a tablet just to play this game then it makes sense to go for the cheaper android options rather than go straight to the latest iPad for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom