• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's nothing you can do to win over board. What can a Paladin do early when none of the clearing spells go over 2 HP when all minions have 3+ HP?

I lose by turn 6 every time. Every minion gets wiped off regardless.

Against face hunter, at least the minions are 1 HP.

I think mech mage is worse.

What can paladin do to beat mech mage?

The early game is about playing proactively with minions rather than removal spells.

Zombie chow, minibot, muster for battle are all great for this. Truesilver champion also works but it might not be ideal to keep in starting hand if you lack an earlier play. I generally try to save aldor peacekeeper for blastmage, but hitting a spider tank or tinkertown technician sometimes has to happen to slow them down. Muster for battle in particular tends to slow them down a lot and gets their minions into consecration range. Once you clear the board once against mech mage, they'll refill it though which makes consecration not ideal early on but more as a way to kind of win after they refill.

Prioritize removing mechs to avoid giving them blastmage value early on. That is where things tend to snowball. Aldor peacekeeper the blastmage if possible, or truesilver champion face smash.

Now you have an idea of what good cards to keep in your mulligan or to search for. Also to note, it is far better to go first in this match up imo. Dropping zombie chow before they can buff up a gnome dude to 3/2 can slow them down a ton.

Mid game really depends on what happens in the early game. If you're ahead on board and they are low on resources, you've likely won. But even then their late game can still beat you so you need to push for damage when possible. Keep an aldor for dr. boom or bgh if you have that and if possible holding onto equality consecration can stop them from getting a win off of stealthed antonidas, this is where watching their spare part count comes in handy.

If you're behind on board mid game but still in the game because you've managed to slow them down alot and your hp total is... acceptable, then mind control tech almost always gets value. Heck, MCT often gets value in the early game as well against mech mage. MCT is more of a tech card in paladin imo, but it isn't bad vs most match ups, except for face hunter where it is terrible.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Kidnapper is just soooooo bad. The need to combo it, for an effect that the pandas have for no combo is just unbelievably bad. The stats on it are also horrible. Just wow. DE that thing and never look back IMO.

Levi

Banned
My free pack that I got for completing a game on my phone.

Unless you're going for a complete collection, Kidnapper is an easy disenchant. Worthless card.

Does anyone know a good pre-GvG Paladin deck I can use for dailies? I have all of naxx and 95% of the regular set. I have a really old control Paladin but not sure how it fits right now..

It's my understanding that Paladin was considered a very weak class before GVG added Shielded Minibot, Muster for Battle, Quartermaster.

I found this basic deck on Ivy Veins:

http://www.icy-veins.com/hearthstone/basic-paladin-deck

There's a card swap section at the bottom that suggests Naxx cards to include if you have them. Icy Veins has a ton of preGVG Pally decks to try out, although many of them include Epics like Avenging Wrath or Legendaries you might have or be able to swap out. Also, many of the decks aren't tested for the current meta, but it definitely is a nice place to start. If you have the cards for it, Murloc Paladin or Aggro Paladin can steal you some wins if you draw okay, and the games will be quick.

Kidnapper is just soooooo bad. The need to combo it, for an effect that the pandas have for no combo is just unbelievably bad. The stats on it are also horrible. Just wow. DE that thing and never look back IMO.

Kidnapper is used to sap enemy minions... not your own. The only thing I'd change to kidnapper is making it 6/4 or 6/5. Then it would be more in line with every other 6 mana class minion in the game.

I think people massively underrate the guy. Imagine if you could always get the kidnap off on turn 6. You're putting 6 attack power on the board while removing a minion from the board. Yeah, the can replay it, but you're not playing this guy for value, you're playing it to get initiative and push for damage. I've successfully ran this guy in decks in the past. I wish it was slightly better though.

gCZ0Kbd.png

I'm being way too greedy, but what three cards would you add? I don't know what the balance of ramp is in the 3-6 slots usually.

No combo, no viable druid imho

Or if you're going ramp, you need some taunts to stall until your late game.

The way your deck is currently, Face hunter will eat you alive, same with mech mage

edit: Also the malygos, moonfire combo is cute, but not enough burn for it being viable. Malygos has to go out

Rapstah

I think people massively underrate the guy. Imagine if you could always get the kidnap off on turn 6. You're putting 6 attack power on the board while removing a minion from the board.

Well, for one, he has 5 attack, and it's a combo effect, so you'd need to use Backstab or Shadowstep somehow first if you want to push something back to hand on turn 6. Or Coin to get him out on turn 5.

Rogue already has Sap. It's not like it's the only effect of its kind.

Kidnapper should just return target minion to your hand - you know, actually allow you to kidnap the opposing hero's minions. I think that'd actually make it a playable card for sure.

gutshot

Kidnapper should just return target minion to your hand - you know, actually allow you to kidnap the opposing hero's minions. I think that'd actually make it a playable card for sure.

That would be almost too good though. It would be like Recycle with a body plus card draw.

mxgt

Banned
lmao, was against a druid as control warrior, he got me down to 8 hp and then said 'well played' and went for a double swipe to face lethal.

he forgot I had an armorsmith and 2 other minions in play and realised his mistake after the first swipe hit and I gained 3 armor. He conceded with 27 health.

I felt bad for the guy because it's the same kind of thing I would do

Tacitus_

Anyone playing in EU I could spectate for the quest? I've only got yoshi from here and he's been slacking all day.

My btag is Tacitus#2849

just beat a golden warlock with the legend cardback. ive beat some golden heroes before but i think the is the first time ive beat someone with the legend cardback

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Just to be clear, if I buy an adventure on iTunes, it will then add that adventure to my blizzard account for all versions of the game, correct? I'm finally taking this game more seriously now that I have friends playing on their phones.

Just to be clear, if I buy an adventure on iTunes, it will then add that adventure to my blizzard account for all versions of the game, correct? I'm finally taking this game more seriously now that I have friends playing on their phones.

Yes, it's all the same account, you're just accessing it through a different device.

clav

What can paladin do to beat mech mage?

The early game is about playing proactively with minions rather than removal spells.

Zombie chow, minibot, muster for battle are all great for this. Truesilver champion also works but it might not be ideal to keep in starting hand if you lack an earlier play. I generally try to save aldor peacekeeper for blastmage, but hitting a spider tank or tinkertown technician sometimes has to happen to slow them down. Muster for battle in particular tends to slow them down a lot and gets their minions into consecration range. Once you clear the board once against mech mage, they'll refill it though which makes consecration not ideal early on but more as a way to kind of win after they refill.

Prioritize removing mechs to avoid giving them blastmage value early on. That is where things tend to snowball. Aldor peacekeeper the blastmage if possible, or truesilver champion face smash.

Now you have an idea of what good cards to keep in your mulligan or to search for. Also to note, it is far better to go first in this match up imo. Dropping zombie chow before they can buff up a gnome dude to 3/2 can slow them down a ton.

Mid game really depends on what happens in the early game. If you're ahead on board and they are low on resources, you've likely won. But even then their late game can still beat you so you need to push for damage when possible. Keep an aldor for dr. boom or bgh if you have that and if possible holding onto equality consecration can stop them from getting a win off of stealthed antonidas, this is where watching their spare part count comes in handy.

If you're behind on board mid game but still in the game because you've managed to slow them down alot and your hp total is... acceptable, then mind control tech almost always gets value. Heck, MCT often gets value in the early game as well against mech mage. MCT is more of a tech card in paladin imo, but it isn't bad vs most match ups, except for face hunter where it is terrible.

MCT.

Ok, time to craft that card.

JesseZao

Yes. Your collection is linked to your account, not platform.

Well, for one, he has 5 attack, and it's a combo effect, so you'd need to use Backstab or Shadowstep somehow first if you want to push something back to hand on turn 6. Or Coin to get him out on turn 5.

Rogue already has Sap. It's not like it's the only effect of its kind.

Right, 5 attack. Not much of a difference between 5 and 6 attack anyway. I know it is a combo effect... I was saying hypothetically if you could always get the combo off on turn 6 then it it is a really good card in line with other 6 drops.

I know rogue has sap... that is not relevant towards my point.

Bounce effects are way stronger than people give credit for. People understand the strength of sap right (maybe)? It lets you do things you couldn't otherwise do. Sap lets you push for more damage or push for larger board control. When you sap something you're often trying to just get board dominance and hope your opponent doesn't have the resources to catch back up and they often don't because they have just paid full price for a minion and got nothing out of it. In some ways, it is like time walk. You pay 2 mana and your opponent skips their turn (well their last turn).

Let's say you sap a 6 drop and play a 4 drop. A 4 drop has about 8-9 stats. Kidnapper has 8 stats, so its about as strong as a 4 drop is, slightly weaker perhaps. If it had 9 stats, it would be like playing a yeti with a different stat configuration. Ignore the combo part again just for a moment. Playing a kidnapper is then literally like playing a 4 drop and a sap in the same turn, but only costs you a single card instead of playing a 4 drop and sap. If it had 1 or 2 more hp, it would be right in line with other 6 drops

If the combo could be pulled off consistently on turn 6, and it had maybe 1 or 2 more hp, it would be ran. The combo part may or may not be a huge deal. Getting a combo off on turn 6 even with spending 6 mana on kidnapper is not a deal breaker imo. Rogue have 4 0 mana cost spells, prep + backstabs, in their decks. And you don't necessarily need it for turn 6 either.

I think kidnapper is pretty close to being a strong card. I don't think that necessarily means it is ideal for oil rogue or miracle rogue or even tempo rogue. But at least on an individual card basis, the card is immensely underrated imo. People often refer to it as one of the top worst cards in the game, where I think it is more average - close to being good but not quite good enough to be ran.

Rapstah

Right, 5 attack. Not much of a difference between 5 and 6 attack anyway. I know it is a combo effect... I was saying hypothetically if you could always get the combo off on turn 6 then it it is a really good card in line with other 6 drops.

I know rogue has sap... that is not relevant towards my point.

Bounce effects are way stronger than people give credit for. People understand the strength of sap right (maybe)? It lets you do things you couldn't otherwise do. Sap lets you push for more damage or push for larger board control. When you sap something you're often trying to just get board dominance and hope your opponent doesn't have the resources to catch back up and they often don't because they have just paid full price for a minion and got nothing out of it. In some ways, it is like time walk. You pay 2 mana and your opponent skips their turn (well their last turn).

Let's say you sap a 6 drop and play a 4 drop. A 4 drop has about 8-9 stats. Kidnapper has 8 stats, so its about as strong as a 4 drop is, slightly weaker perhaps. If it had 9 stats, it would be like playing a yeti with a different stat configuration. Ignore the combo part again just for a moment. Playing a kidnapper is then literally like playing a 4 drop and a sap in the same turn, but only costs you a single card instead of playing a 4 drop and sap. If it had 1 or 2 more hp, it would be right in line with other 6 drops

If the combo could be pulled off consistently on turn 6, and it had maybe 1 or 2 more hp, it would be ran. The combo part may or may not be a huge deal. Getting a combo off on turn 6 even with spending 6 mana on kidnapper is not a deal breaker imo. Rogue have 4 0 mana cost spells, prep + backstabs, in their decks. And you don't necessarily need it for turn 6 either.

I think kidnapper is pretty close to being a strong card. I don't think that necessarily means it is ideal for oil rogue or miracle rogue or even tempo rogue. But at least on an individual card basis, the card is immensely underrated imo. People often refer to it as one of the top worst cards in the game, where I think it is more average - close to being good but not quite good enough to be ran.

I don't disagree that Sap is good. All (good) Rogue decks run two Sap. Are you basically arguing that Kidnapper is a decent card because it would be used if it was better? Of course it would.

Sometimes Rogues want to use Sap and then use the rest of their mana on something else, maybe Tinker's Sharpsword Oil. Kidnapper locks you into "playing a 4-mana minion" for the rest of the mana, even though it's a packaged deal.

Dahbomb

LMAO @ Kripp's review of Majordormo.

"This is the only card in Hearthstone that would actually be better if it was worse...."

Agree 100% with him, Majordormo is in its own tier of "bad" in Hearthstone where it can outright lose you the game instantly (even if you are winning) if its played.

KePoW

Banned
LMAO @ Kripp's review of Majordormo.

"This is the only card in Hearthstone that would actually be better if it was worse...."

Agree 100% with him, Majordormo is in its own tier of "bad" in Hearthstone where it can outright lose you the game instantly (even if you are winning) if its played.

lol that's a funny way of looking at it

Dahbomb

lol that's a funny way of looking at it
He was basically saying the best time to use it is if the opponent plays Sylvanas and then you play Majordormo + Shield Slam as Warrior to give your opponent the Majordormo. Then kill Majordormo to bring them down to 8 health and then they die.

I really wish there were mechanics in Hearthstone to give opponent control of your minions on your terms even if its temporary. Stuff like giving them Dancing Swords and then killing it, sort of like a reverse Shadow Madness. Majordormo would be SICK in that deck!

Then again Rogue would abuse it by giving you Fel Reaver and then dumping their hand which just destroys your entire deck.

mxgt

Banned

This is why control warrior is my favourite deck to play. The ability to be so defensive and mount comebacks with armour is too fun.

I can't believe I managed to avoid lethal at 1 hp for two turns and slowly build my armor up with back to back shieldmaiden topdecks. I fucking love wins like this, especially when Rag gets the kill!

Rapstah

I mean 8 health. What were they thinking?

Someone had a vision of every match in every tournament ending with both players as Ragnaros RNGing each other with fireballs and decided that was stupid.

It's like a reverse Flame Leviathan. Flame Leviathan has its effect happen and then it's the most boring card in the world until it dies. Executus is the most boring card in the world until he dies, and then you lose in six seconds.

Dahbomb

Would this card even be good if it was 8 health + 8 armor? Unlike Jaraxxus you can't really use it to heal up as it has to die first and it does nothing the turn it's played plus you can't do much else as it costs 9 mana. Most of the time this card gets activated on the opponent's terms.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Would this card even be good if it was 8 health + 8 armor? Unlike Jaraxxus you can't really use it to heal up as it has to die first.

In a slow meta that might be good. Control Warrior could run something like that instead of Ysera.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
You still lose armor if you play and activate this card. Both health and armor would be set to 8.

Warrior doesn't always have more than 8 armor. The card would be good in a fatigue war is my point.

Rapstah

Reminding late night EU players that signed up for the tournament that there's a thread for it now, and we need to pick classes before the tournament starts at midnight between Sunday and Monday. Just a reminder. Judging by the responses to the Google form, some of you only read this thread this late at night.

Yeah Majordomo just seems completely useless. I sometimes wonder what they are thinking with some of these legendaries. Rend Blackhand seems like it will be sucky too.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Before I blow iTunes credit on the two adventure packs, I'd like some's feedback that it truly is the best path for spending my credit. Buying packs of cards would give me a chance at cool stuff, but there are only certain cards that can be obtained thru the adventures, correct?

johnsmith

remember me
Before I blow iTunes credit on the two adventure packs, I'd like some's feedback that it truly is the best path for spending my credit. Buying packs of cards would give me a chance at cool stuff, but there are only certain cards that can be obtained thru the adventures, correct?

Adventures give the best gold to dollar ratio. Go for it.

Correct. Adventures are really the most efficient use of your money. Using your gold on packs/arena is much, much more efficient.

gutshot

It is far and away the best bang for your buck. Both in terms of getting guaranteed good cards that immediately improve your decks and in a gold-per-card cost equation (i.e. you get more cards per 100 gold spent buying packs than you do buying the adventures).

Ace 8095

So I haven't played in 10 months and have over 1600 dust banked. Should I just craft Dr. Boom or craft some of the cheaper GvG cards?

Pooya

I wonder if they change Majordomo, it's like the worst card there is. Make it with battlecry it will be pretty good then.

Rapstah

I wonder if they change Majordomo, it's like the worst card there is. Make it with battlecry it will be pretty good then.

He's not the final legendary of the expansion. If Nefarian was as bad, I'd think they'd feel forced to change him because people would complain. They can afford a bad legendary in the middle of an adventure, especially with how good Thaurissan is.

It's really weird if they wanted Majordomo to be as good a 9-drop as Thaurissan is a 6-drop though. Maybe they designed Majordomo assuming that there would be gimmick decks where you can use him? I hope they knew it's a bad card before they printed it.

Ashodin

The sour taste of Majordomo after Thaurissan is pretty bad.

Emperor T is in nearly every deck, Majordomo is NOT in nearly every deck. It's a huge disparity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom