• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. I've gotten at least 100 packs for the base cards, just almost no cards from GvG.
You could probably go either way then. Look up some deck types you like to play and see how much GvG they have. There are some really good commons so maybe you can get Boom and some of those too.

I think they wanted a few Timmy cards. Majordomo is most certainly a Timmy card.
Yep. For some players who care more about fun than pure winning Majordomo is incredible.

Dahbomb

It's not that Majordormo is just bad...

It's that the card can actively lose you the game if you play it which almost no card in the game has that ability (aside from maybe Fel Reaver). I am all for Timmu cards but this card is just nonsense in its current state.

At least make the cost lower so the Timmy's can play it in a game before they get their face blasted by Hunters.

And Rend Blackhand is much better than Majordormo. Much, much better.

It's not that Majordormo is just bad...

It's that the card can actively lose you the game if you play it which almost no card in the game has that ability (aside from maybe Fel Reaver). I am all for Timmu cards but this card is just nonsense in its current state.

At least make the cost lower so the Timmy's can play it in a game before they get their face blasted by Hunters.

And Rend Blackhand is much better than Majordormo. Much, much better.

Major Domo will actually get even worse once Rend is released. That's one more card that can auto remove him, setting you up to get killed.

d4533

I've only played majordomo once, and that worked out alright for me due to a stupid play from my opponent.

Playing as a Mage I pulled Majordomo from an unstable portal early in the game, and the card sat there for the hole game as I wasn't going to use it. Towards the end of the game I was down 20-10 health wise and running out of cards.

So I cleared his board, and played majordomo. On his turn, he played a faceless manipulator and made it a copy of majordomo, and that was the only card he played.

After taking a moment to try and think if there was a reason I shouldn't do it, I killed his majordomo with mine, which turned us both into rag and dropped his health from 20 to 8 with an empty board, and then I killed him with the rag hero power. No idea what he was thinking, but it was an interesting way to throw a game he was going to win.

Raxus

Any predictions for what is coming up tomorrow.

I think the new set is just filled with surprises. I assume the legendary is going to be Chromagus.

Dahbomb

Any predictions for what is coming up tomorrow.

I think the new set is just filled with surprises. I assume the legendary is going to be Chromagus.
We already know what's coming tomorrow.

Dragon Consort and Rend Blackhand.
The other cards don't matter because they suck.

Dahbomb

People said the same thing about Grim Patron.
Nah most people knew the card had potential in a Warrior enrage deck and could win you the game.

You also have to realize that Warsong commander wasn't fixed back then and without it Grim Patron is significantly weaker.

I am looking at the other cards in this deck and none of them aside the two I mentioned look that good. Unless someone can convince me otherwise.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I am looking at the other cards in this deck and none of them aside the two I mentioned look that good. Unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Dragon Egg is going to fit in that warrior enrage deck.

Or at the very least, if it doesn't fit in an enrage warrior deck, it won't fit anywhere.

Kitoro

So I finished all the practice battles on normal and finished all the quests for now.

I'm opened to dropping $20-$25 on this game for a boost.

Should I straight up buy $20 in packs, or blow $25 to unlock Naxxramas or Blacrock? Is Blackrock better because it's newer?

If the packs are a better investment, which series should I go for?

I'm basically a tabula rasa in this game, so inscribe my face as you see fit!

Pooya

Majordormo is only good if you want to screw your opponent with it. Like when Opponents have Sylvanas, less likely when using thoughtsteal or mirror entity. It's the card you want to get rid off, this was probably the thinking...

JesseZao

Wanted a new control low drop. Thought of the idea of a goblin banker.

Originally wanted it to be a 4/5, but that felt too good. I also thought about a 1 drop, but couldn't see a downside for aggro lock or face hunter. Not sure what combo of cost/stats would work best, but I like the concept of "investment."

09dc304c.png

Changed it.

Was watching Kibler stream and a rogue played a FROST ELEMENTAL against his Deathwing. At Rank 6. Is this some new meta tech I'm unaware of?

Dahbomb

So I finished all the practice battles on normal and finished all the quests for now.

Should I straight up buy $20 in packs, or blow $25 to unlock Naxxramas or Blacrock? Is Blackrock better because it's newer?

Adventure mode is a better investment for your money.

ZealousD

That looks more like a hyperaggro card than a control card. Dump your hand, play it, nothing but upside. "Discard your hand" is probably the worst effect to have in a control deck. That's why Deathwing sees zero play.

Edit: Oh, you changed it. I dunno man. That still seems super clunky. Discarding your hand is just awful, really. Still seems best in zoolock or something.

I made this video for folks like you. It's in the OP if you need it again.

Kitoro

I actually watched that before posting, but was still left wondering what exactly to expect from adventures as far as prizes and difficulty, and which one to buy. I'm assuming I should go with Blackrock because it's newer?

Levi

Banned
Was watching Kibler stream and a rogue played a FROST ELEMENTAL against his Deathwing. At Rank 6. Is this some new meta tech I'm unaware of?

Yeah, I saw that too. What oil rogue plays frost elemental? And it looks like that person may have cut sap to fit it in!

Speaking of Kibler, that Dragon druid deck be streaming isn't very good. I like that he's trying out now, but with only Blackwing technician and ET from brm in the deck, it just doesn't work.

Also, I hate Deathwing. He's almost majordomo level of game losing.

Originally wanted it to be a 4/5, but that felt too good. I also thought about a 1 drop, but couldn't see a downside for aggro lock or face hunter. Not sure what combo of cost/stats would work best, but I like the concept of "investment."

Changed it.

I'd still play it in Zoo. A 3/3 for 2 mana that also draws a card? Yeah, that belongs in an aggro deck. Just make sure you dump your hand, and then get nothing but value out of it.

JesseZao

That looks more like a hyperaggro card than a control card. Dump your hand, play it, nothing but upside. "Discard your hand" is probably the worst effect to have in a control deck. That's why Deathwing sees zero play.

Edit: Oh, you changed it. I dunno man. That still seems super clunky. Discarding your hand is just awful, really. Still seems best in zoolock or something.

Yeah. I know it's awkward. I was basically thinking of a priest or zoo card. You could dump a couple cards before you play it and then keep it alive to keep your draws coming. I think it could find play, but it'd be hard to work with as a legendary.

I suppose it's pretty bad compared to Succubus. I'll redo it as a more cycle friendly card.

Edit: His moneychanging brother? (Discards are of your choice)

gutshot

I actually watched that before posting, but was still left wondering what exactly to expect from adventures as far as prizes and difficulty, and which one to buy. I'm assuming I should go with Blackrock because it's newer?

I would go with Naxx myself. So many of those cards are essential cards in many different decks. It still remains to be seen how much of an impact Blackrock will have on the meta, but at the moment it looks like only a handful of cards will be must haves.

ZealousD

You'll want to get both, eventually.

Blackrock hasn't been released in its entirety so the jury is still kind of out on whether or not the cards in blackrock are better than the cards in Naxx. The fact that Blackrock is newer really has nothing to do with whether you should get it or not.

Some of the cards in Naxx are practically mandatory (Mad Scientist, Sludge Belcher) so you can't discount Naxx.

My advice would be to go ahead and buy Naxx with real money, and then buy Blackrock with real money the next time you want to invest money into the game. Don't spend a cent on packs until you get both adventures.

As for which kinds of packs you should spend your gold on, I would recommend getting 2 classic packs for every 1 GvG pack you get. That gives you the best chance for avoiding opening duplicate cards over the long term.

clav

You'll want to get both, eventually.

Blackrock hasn't been released in its entirety so the jury is still kind of out on whether or not the cards in blackrock are better than the cards in Naxx. The fact that Blackrock is newer really has nothing to do with whether you should get it or not.

Some of the cards in Naxx are practically mandatory (Mad Scientist, Sludge Belcher) so you can't discount Naxx.

My advice would be to go ahead and buy Naxx with real money, and then buy Blackrock with real money the next time you want to invest money into the game. Don't spend a cent on packs until you get both adventures.

As for which kinds of packs you should spend your gold on, I would recommend getting 2 classic packs for every 1 GvG pack you get. That gives you the best chance for avoiding opening duplicate cards over the long term.

There are more legendaries in GvG correct?

I would recommend Naxxramas first honestly. There are a lot of cards in the set that just can't be replaced.

Dahbomb

There are more legendaries in GvG correct?
Compared to classic? No but it has more Legendaries than the Adventure modes.

But even then most of the Legendaries in GvG suck. The main ones that are good are:

Dr Balanced
Voljin
Malganis
Sneeds Old Shredder
Neptulon

I still think Troggzor is good/usable. Blingtron gets some usage too.

Compared to Classic which has:

Ragnaros
Sylvanas
Alexstraza
Ysera
Black Knight
Baron Geddon
Bloodmage Thalnos
Harrison Jones
Archmage Antonidas
Tirion
Jaraxxus
Grommash
Van Cleef

etc.

Man Blizzard really dropped the ball when it came to class Legendaries in GvG. Everyone got shit except Warlock.

I don't disagree that Sap is good. All (good) Rogue decks run two Sap. Are you basically arguing that Kidnapper is a decent card because it would be used if it was better? Of course it would.

Sometimes Rogues want to use Sap and then use the rest of their mana on something else, maybe Tinker's Sharpsword Oil. Kidnapper locks you into "playing a 4-mana minion" for the rest of the mana, even though it's a packaged deal.

I think I made myself clear... I mean, come on... I didn't even say anything about you thinking sap is good or not.

ZealousD

But the Snow Chugger/Water Elemental/Harrison Jones synergies...

Snow Chugger/Water Elemental delays the problem, not solves it.

Harrison Jones requires a 10 mana stars-align dream combo where you have both in your hand at the same time, which is made more difficult by the fact that both are legendaries.

clav

No. There's 33 collectible classic legendaries and 20 GvG legendaries.

But even then most of the Legendaries in GvG suck. The main ones that are good are:

Dr Balanced
Voljin
Malganis
Sneeds Old Shredder
Neptulon

Ragnaros
Sylvanas
Alexstraza
Ysera
Black Knight
Baron Geddon
Bloodmage Thalnos
Harrison Jones
Archmage Antonidas
Tirion
Jaraxxus
Grommash
Van Cleef

etc.

Man Blizzard really dropped the ball when it came to class Legendaries in GvG. Everyone got shit except Warlock.

Thanks for the correction and long post.

I keep questioning myself if I should continue to buy Classics. Really like the legendaries there.

Milennia

Dr Balanced
Voljin
Malganis
Sneeds Old Shredder
Neptulon

Ragnaros
Sylvanas
Alexstraza
Ysera
Black Knight
Baron Geddon
Bloodmage Thalnos
Harrison Jones
Archmage Antonidas
Tirion
Jaraxxus
Grommash
Van Cleef

etc.

toshley is good in many mage and druid builds and used quite a bit competitively

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Quick question, when does your day "reset" for getting gold rewards?

TY

3AM EST.

One general strategy for maximizing gold is to try and reroll any 40 gold quests, for the chance of a higher payout. You also only gain a single quest a day, so once you run out of the initial new account quests, gaining gold takes a lot longer. There are a few quests that aren't explicitly stated that can give you a bit of gold, listed here:
http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Quest#General

The flow of free gold is pretty low tbh.

Is it worth running two Bane of Dooms in a Demonlock deck now with the buff? Messing around with building one but I'm not sure if I should stick to just one or go all in with both.

manhack

Is it worth running two Bane of Dooms in a Demonlock deck now with the buff? Messing around with building one but I'm not sure if I should stick to just one or go all in with both.

Lot's of top players have been using 2 Bane of Dooms..just depends on how much RNG you can stomach. It is a bit of a mana dump but can pay off really well.

Dragner

Im running it with one, tbh I dont own a 2nd to test it, but with one is ok, you are tapping a lot and you find it often enough, and having it as a 1 off is enough to not having it in your opening hands that often. Im ok with one.

Maximo

Enjoyed watching Hearthstone then playing but with it being on Mobile now I'm finding myself playing a few games here and there. Nice playing a match while watching a movie you don't have to keep total interest in.
Also can't wait to see Paladin dragon deck next week.

Majine

Banned
Wonder how the player base will rise as the effect of the mobile version. Saw that the game is #1 on the App Store right now.

I bet Blizzard will make an obscene amount of money on this version alone.

Xanathus

Where can i find streams of people trying to beat heroic mode?

Just pick any famous Hearthstone streamer on Twitch like Amaz/Trump/Forsen/Reynad and check their youtube accounts, or if they don't have it uploaded there then check their VODs at the time each wing was released.

gutshot

Thanks for the correction and long post.

I keep questioning myself if I should continue to buy Classics. Really like the legendaries there.

You shouldn't base your pack purchasing decisions on which legendaries you need, since the chances of getting one are so low. You should be basing it on which set has more commons and rares you need. You can keep track of that using this collection spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...CwoGu6nsjcGP8W_U9vsL8hTLQ/edit#gid=1710183000

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Holy shit eveyone has downloaded this game in my school now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom