• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
With the upcoming cards, I know that dragon paladin is the obvious choice. And being the obvious choice makes it much less interesting to me. Also I desperately want dragon warrior to be a thing. What's everyone's thoughts on how dragons fit into warrior?

I think it is a relatively good match because high mana dragons require a more defensive deck which warrior is good at.

The biggest challenge, I feel, is going to be finding the minimum set of dragons that can be included without compromising the synergy cards. On the high end I expect to use Alex/Ysera but I could see replacing Alex with Chromaggus if you want to go down a route of no BGH targets.

And then I feel that Volcanic Drake and Hungry Dragon are the other obvious includes. Volcanic Drake has really great synergy with brawl. The problem with brawl has always been that even if you clear most of the board, your opponent still usually has initiative because your other 1-3 mana can't put much pressure on the board. But Volcanic Drake solves that weakness and makes overextending into brawl a game losing proposition.

Hungry Dragon has great synergy with both weapons which can kill the summoned creature and acolyte of pain who can probably poke it for card draw. If you go turn 3 acolyte into turn 4 hungry dragon and kill a 2/1 with the acolyte that is fantastic value and tempo.

That gives me 6 dragons. Experimentation will have to see if that is enough. The problem I feel is that adding more dragons either give you too many high end cards (I can't see ever playing 3 8+ mana dragons) or it lowers the overall card quality of the deck which is quite bad for a control deck. Azure Drake is really borderline in my opinion because warrior doesn't benefit from the spell power and doesn't need 5 mana card draw.

The way to fit in the dragons overall I feel is to remove some of the more defensive tools that replace them with the new cards. The reason I feel this can work is because dragon synergy should give warrior more muscle in the early mid game allowing you to protect your life total more pro-actively through creature combat rather than healing through the damage. This means cards like Shield Maiden are out. It also means cards like BaronGeddon and Gorehowl probably have to go because they are more dependent on having a high life total rather than board presence.

The really interesting thing about Brawl->Volcanic Drake (and maybe revenge) is that they have the potential to force your opponents to play differently. A lot of people still extend into brawl because even if the warrior has it they keep initiative and can keep pressuring you and if the warrior doesn't have it then they just win. It should only take a few blow out games where warrior clears your board and then drops a big threat that people will begin to hesitate on being over aggressive in the same way you have to hesitate on taking a warlock down to 10hp. If enough people play these cards in warrior to alter the perception of those playing against you, these cards gain you life by just existing in your deck and the decks of others.

This is my first take on a dragon warrior deck:
http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/230626-dragon-warrior
The first experiments I have in mind are to try out revenge (I think this card has more potential than my original gut reaction especially now that the deck is much lighter on armor) and possibly replace Dr Boom and Alex for BGH and Chromaggus in order to have a deck containing no BGH targets itself.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Is this shit up for EU yet?

Danj

Today's pack:

rcRwbtH.jpg

With the upcoming cards, I know that dragon paladin is the obvious choice. And being the obvious choice makes it much less interesting to me. Also I desperately want dragon warrior to be a thing. What's everyone's thoughts on how dragons fit into warrior?

I think it is a relatively good match because high mana dragons require a more defensive deck which warrior is good at.

The biggest challenge, I feel, is going to be finding the minimum set of dragons that can be included without compromising the synergy cards. On the high end I expect to use Alex/Ysera but I could see replacing Alex with Chromaggus if you want to go down a route of no BGH targets.

And then I feel that Volcanic Drake and Hungry Dragon are the other obvious includes. Volcanic Drake has really great synergy with brawl. The problem with brawl has always been that even if you clear most of the board, your opponent still usually has initiative because your other 1-3 mana can't put much pressure on the board. But Volcanic Drake solves that weakness and makes overextending into brawl a game losing proposition.

Hungry Dragon has great synergy with both weapons which can kill the summoned creature and acolyte of pain who can probably poke it for card draw. If you go turn 3 acolyte into turn 4 hungry dragon and kill a 2/1 with the acolyte that is fantastic value and tempo.

That gives me 6 dragons. Experimentation will have to see if that is enough. The problem I feel is that adding more dragons either give you too many high end cards (I can't see ever playing 3 8+ mana dragons) or it lowers the overall card quality of the deck which is quite bad for a control deck. Azure Drake is really borderline in my opinion because warrior doesn't benefit from the spell power and doesn't need 5 mana card draw.

The way to fit in the dragons overall I feel is to remove some of the more defensive tools that replace them with the new cards. The reason I feel this can work is because dragon synergy should give warrior more muscle in the early mid game allowing you to protect your life total more pro-actively through creature combat rather than healing through the damage. This means cards like Shield Maiden are out. It also means cards like BaronGeddon and Gorehowl probably have to go because they are more dependent on having a high life total rather than board presence.

The really interesting thing about Brawl->Volcanic Drake (and maybe revenge) is that they have the potential to force your opponents to play differently. A lot of people still extend into brawl because even if the warrior has it they keep initiative and can keep pressuring you and if the warrior doesn't have it then they just win. It should only take a few blow out games where warrior clears your board and then drops a big threat that people will begin to hesitate on being over aggressive in the same way you have to hesitate on taking a warlock down to 10hp. If enough people play these cards in warrior to alter the perception of those playing against you, these cards gain you life by just existing in your deck and the decks of others.

This is my first take on a dragon warrior deck:
http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/230626-dragon-warrior
The first experiments I have in mind are to try out revenge (I think this card has more potential than my original gut reaction especially now that the deck is much lighter on armor) and possibly replace Dr Boom and Alex for BGH and Chromaggus in order to have a deck containing no BGH targets itself.
Those are some interesting ideas in creating synergies with the dragon cards in a control warrior deck. I have to wonder though, what about it makes it better than the current control warrior? Why would anyone run a dragon warrior?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Any good dragon decks for paladin yet? please share

Magnus

Lol. Face Hunter for Rend. Unmodified. Done deal.

Drakissath's hero power makes that fight so fun!

Edit- there's a fun unreleased card in your deck in the Priest challenge!

Chromaggus!

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Those are some interesting ideas in creating synergies with the dragon cards in a control warrior deck. I have to wonder though, what about it makes it better than the current control warrior? Why would anyone run a dragon warrior?
The main potential is in speeding the deck up without lowering the card quality. The overall card quality is what will win the control vs control matchups just like normal while having more muscle in the earlier stages of the game will improve warrior's matchups against mid-range and aggro decks.

In general, you make your deck 'anti-aggro' by including lower value cards that you can play more quickly but doing this weakens your control game. Cards like whirlwind are great against aggro or paladin but might as well not exist in your hand against like a priest or druid. Dragon synergy may allow warrior to strengthen its early game without making those kinds of sacrifices.

Yoshichan

the athene drama is real

Dreavus

You can have 3 extra quests saved up, but if you reroll any of your current quests all the saved up ones will be wiped.

Oh jeez is that how it works? I thought they got rid of "saved up" quests, but if this is the case I was simply doing it to myself all along. I didn't see a reason not to reroll a 40g one.

Fuck.

I just played against the biggest greed pally deck ever as control hunter.

2x Lay on hands
2x Guardian of kings
2x ironbeak owl
2x arcane nullifier
2x equality
Ysera
Alexstrasza

Lost while he was at 3 health to double ironbeak on geddon and belcher.

Levi

Banned
First draft of my Dragon Paladin, it will obviously be better once we get more of the BRM cards released. 2-0 so far, but only in casual while I playtest it.

Dahbomb

You can't use mana crystal Druid cards to gain more mana crystal.

That pretty much means the battle comes down to luck which is you mulligan Kelthuzad, get a bunch of taunts up and hope that he doesn't top dick Twisting Nether or that card which kills a minion and gives him armor.

Xanathus

Defeating Heroic Blackhand with typical face hunter just feels so disgusting, it's a perfect example of how broken Face Hunter is.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You can't use mana crystal Druid cards to gain more mana crystal.

That pretty much means the battle comes down to luck which is you mulligan Kelthuzad, get a bunch of taunts up and hope that he doesn't top dick Twisting Nether or that card which kills a minion and gives him armor.

I just go Alex into Grom and won on turn 3. The wonderful AI tried to fireball Grom too.

For the other 2 bosses, Face Hunter made quick work of them.

clav

Just drafted a Paladin arena deck.

The cards offered were terrible.

Only one legendary. No swords or equality.

pkpcyi8.png

0-3 here I go.

edit: I just won one. Whoa.

gutshot

Are you being sarcastic? That seems like a slightly above average arena deck. Only thing keeping it from being top-tier is a dearth of late game minions.

clav

Are you being sarcastic? That seems like a slightly above average arena deck. Only thing keeping it from being top-tier is a dearth of late game minions.

No. I've only arena'ed once.

First time after playing ladder for 2 months.

Right. I can't survive late game with this deck.

Well, beat heroic Drakkisath. Used Priest but I don't think that really mattered. Manged to get Kel'thuzad and a Blecher up. Once my board was flooded with taunts he refused to attack. Just played a minion and passed. Really weird AI I guess but I'll take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom