• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

Sitting on 9000 dust, and 1600 more if I DE this Golden Cho.

I think with the advent of serious dragon cards, it's time I craft an Alexstrasza. She'll slot into dragon-themed decks nicely, give Rag a boost if I ever want to give Domo a go, and make Warrior and some Mage decks come alive as well.

I may also want to finally sink my teeth into Warrior. That's the class I'd have to spend the dust on the most to have some real decks with. I'd need to make Alex, Grom, a Crush or two (I think?), probably 1 Bouncing Blade, and maybe an Iron Juggernaut.

I really enjoy the theme of Blackrock Mountain. It was pretty funny entering the third wing and Nefarian is all "uh, what the hell are you doing, please click the back button, nothing to see here".

CoolOff

wwMWWP9.png

When Arena throws you that curveball.

"Oh, you picked Warrior? Let me pit you against a class that spams stuff on the board."

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Are you being sarcastic? That seems like a slightly above average arena deck. Only thing keeping it from being top-tier is a dearth of late game minions.

Even the 4 slot is pretty anemic. I wouldn't consider that to be an above average draft myself.

I really enjoy the theme of Blackrock Mountain. It was pretty funny entering the third wing and Nefarian is all "uh, what the hell are you doing, please click the back button, nothing to see here".

"There are no Ragnaroses up here! Go away!"

Somehow, Ragnaros in the plural form is hilarious

ZealousD

I think with the advent of serious dragon cards, it's time I craft an Alexstrasza. She'll slot into dragon-themed decks nicely, give Rag a boost if I ever want to give Domo a go, and make Warrior and some Mage decks come alive as well.

I may also want to finally sink my teeth into Warrior. That's the class I'd have to spend the dust on the most to have some real decks with. I'd need to make Alex, Grom, a Crush or two (I think?), probably 1 Bouncing Blade, and maybe an Iron Juggernaut.

Alex is pretty clunky if your game plan doesn't fit around her. Using her for healing is pretty weak. I think Onyxia makes more sense if you just need a late game dragon.

Levi

Banned
First draft of my Dragon Paladin, it will obviously be better once we get more of the BRM cards released. 2-0 so far, but only in casual while I playtest it.

Took out both Coghammers, added in 1xTwilight Drake and 1 more Healbot. Beat someone else's Dragon Pally (They were running Malygos, but didn't play any spells against me. Unless they were saving them, pretty poor choice for a late game Dragon) and played 2 Axe Flinger/Grim Patron warriors in a row, and beat them both pretty handily.

Was able to play Truesilver and a 6 mana Onyxia in the same turn (Dragon Consort + 1 turn of Emperor T.) in the last game I played, which resulted in a concession from my opponent.

Anyone else trying out the new cards today?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
A buddy of mine started playing HS today because of iPhone release

Later today, I saw him buy Naxx

My god, blizz is earning so much from this launch

Crush and Bouncing Blade aren't all that common in Warrior decks. I'd craft a Brawl and 2 Shield Slams before either of those, if you don't already have them. If you do already have Brawl and Shield Slam, Bouncing Blade and Crush aren't really that important, you can save your dust for something else.

Aesthet1c

So I have been playing this off and on for the past year or so, but I just recently came back because of the phone update.

I have like 500 coins right now. What is the best use of coins for someone who doesn't have a lot of extra cards? Should I be buying the Blackrock Mountain stuff? Arena tickets? Or just buy a bunch of card packs?

clav

So I have been playing this off and on for the past year or so, but I just recently came back because of the phone update.

I have like 500 coins right now. What is the best use of coins for someone who doesn't have a lot of extra cards? Should I be buying the Blackrock Mountain stuff? Arena tickets? Or just buy a bunch of card packs?

Card packs.

How many cards do you have in classic?

You can get back more than the entry fee (150 coins) if you can do well in arena (12 wins).

3+ wins will get you close back to the entry fee (some coins, a card, and a GvG booster pack).

CoolOff

A card pack = 100 gold
An arena ticket = 150 gold

This means that since you're guaranteed a pack as a reward in arena, you need 50 gold in reward on top of that to break even value-wise. 50 gold is somewhere in the region of averaging 3-4 wins.

This is without taking the (lack of?) enjoyment you get from arena into account.

Aesthet1c

Card packs.

How many cards do you have in classic?

You can get back more than the entry fee (150 coins) if you can do well in arena (12 wins).

3+ wins will get you close back to the entry fee (some coins, a card, and a GvG booster pack).

A card pack = 100 gold
An arena ticket = 150 gold

This means that since you're guaranteed a pack as a reward in arena, you need 50 gold in reward on top of that to break even value-wise. 50 gold is somewhere in the region of averaging 3-4 wins.

This is without taking the (lack of?) enjoyment you get from arena into account.

Thanks guys.

I enjoy arena, but I'm pretty novice at the game, so I never seem to draft very well, and typically only win 1-2 because of it.

Should I just go vanilla card packs or the goblins/gnomes?

Dahbomb

I don't understand how you guys got lucky beating him with Kelthuzad.

Anytime I had Kelthuzad out he either had Twisting Nether or that one card that kills your minions and gains him armor. I even had the dream of Belcher + Kelthuzad + Faceless on Kelthuzad after I survived two Twisters...

Levi

Banned
So is dragon consort really that good right now, or are the other dragons in the set (chromaggus, hungry dragon) necessary?

I don't know. It's a good card, I think it'll be better after all the wings are out. I don't know if Dragon Paladin, as it exists at this moment, is better than standard Midrange. The version I'm playing definitely isn't, but there's a lot of people experimenting right now.

ZealousD

So is dragon consort really that good right now, or are the other dragons in the set (chromaggus, hungry dragon) necessary?

I feel like the deck isn't complete until Blackwing Corrupter and Volcanic Drake. Arguably Nef too. Two synergy cards isn't enough to push it over standard midrange IMO. It also might be weak in general as long as Face Hunter is popular. Dragon Paladin feels like a high power midrange deck that puts out more threats than a standard control deck can handle. I think its possible the deck might need better dragons and dragon synergy cards than are currently in the game.

Sande

Since Executus likes to hoard cards in his hand and spam hero power, I figured mill rogue might work against him. It took a few tries but I managed to burst him and Ragnaros with fatigue (and poisoned blade! :D) for exact lethal before getting destroyed by giants. I got to say, this deck is really fun to play when everything clicks.

Ashodin

I don't understand how you guys got lucky beating him with Kelthuzad.

Anytime I had Kelthuzad out he either had Twisting Nether or that one card that kills your minions and gains him armor. I even had the dream of Belcher + Kelthuzad + Faceless on Kelthuzad after I survived two Twisters...

this was earlier, I got lucky, he seems to only have one Twisting Nether:

m106aVRh.jpg

All heroics complete now!

Dahbomb

Nah he has two Twisting Nethers.

But he has a code where if he has a certain number of his own creatures on board he won't use Twisters. That's why once you have Kelthuzad set up you just keep going face... do not try to clear his board because if you do he will use Twisting Nether real quick.

Iryx

Heroics done, beat Omokk second try and Drakkisath first try, had most issues with Blackhand, being 1 damage of killing him a couple of times.

Joco

Having a hard time with the Druid class challenge...

Edit: Never mind, after five games I finally got the card to summon the wisps + savage roar to win.

VoxPop

Considering constructing a paladin deck just so I could bring out Norzdomu 2 turns earlier. I play my cousin a lot and that motherfucker ropes every turn.

Mazre

Hehe, fun happenstance in priest challenge. Had a huge board advanatage with Boom + bots, sneeds, and a few other minions. Drak uses his destroy minion + 10 armor on sneeds which dropped a Mimiron's head, which promptly converted itself and the bots into V-07-TR-0N.

Hehe, fun happenstance in priest challenge. Had a huge board advanatage with Boom + bots, sneeds, and a few other minions. Drak uses his destroy minion + 10 armor on sneeds which dropped a Mimiron's head, which promptly converted itself and the bots into V-07-TR-0N.

I had a similar thing happen. I had Sneed's, KT, and a Force Tank out. I traded Sneed's and the Force Tank and got Mimiron. My minions revived, and next turn V-07-TR-0N popped out. I even had a Rock Biter ready to cast on him.

3wil6HG.jpg

Cipherr

Nah he has two Twisting Nethers.

But he has a code where if he has a certain number of his own creatures on board he won't use Twisters. That's why once you have Kelthuzad set up you just keep going face... do not try to clear his board because if you do he will use Twisting Nether real quick.

That explains why I only saw one. I had a Twisting Nether clear my board, but my mecha spawned a lowly taunt and my deathrattle demon put a 6/6 on the board. So after the Nether I just played KT and went all face and he never Nethered again. Easy win.

JesseZao

Heroic Rend took a number of tries, but I finally beat him with with a low cost hunter deck. Druid or priest probably would've been easier

Heroic Rend took a number of tries, but I finally beat him with with a low cost hunter deck. Druid or priest probably would've been easier

I did it with Priest relatively easily. My deck could've been a lot better, but I didn't really know what to expect. It worked out in the end anyway.

Vire

Did they even play test the second fight on heroic for this week?

This shit is fucking bullshit and not fun. Double flamestrikes, twisting nethers, insta kill enemy and gain 10 armor, and oh yeah he can play two 7/7's with a divine shield every turn.

Really annoyed right now.

Dahbomb

Played about 10 games with Dragon Paladin. At least 4 games were against another Dragon Paladin though I won against all Dragon Paladin. This was on Casual, not ranked play so take that as you may.

Decklist had Ysera in it and Malygos substituting for Onyxia which I don't have. No Tirion either as I don't have that either.

Decklist:

2x Zombie Chow
2x Aldor
2x Shielded Minibot
1x Muster for Battle
2x Truesilver
2x Consecrate
2x Equality
2x Blackwing Technician
2x Twilight Drake
2x Belcher
2x Azure Drake
2x Dragon Consort
1x Emperor Balanced
1x Rend Blackhand
1x Dr Balanced
1x Ragnaros
1x Lay on Hands
1x Ysera
1x Malygos

First edition of this deck had no Belcher and I got swarmed by Mech Mage which prompted me to go back to Belcher immediately. Just can't live without that card in an aggressive meta.

Main points with this deck:

*Rend Blackhand did work. So far I have killed a Ysera and a Ragnaros with it when otherwise I had no option to deal with them. They were able to take out my Rend Blackhand relatively easily (one time with BGH one time with Aldor plus Truesilver) but in a control match up it got to hit something.

*Blackwing Technician is not as powerful as you may think. Yeah 3/5 are outrageous stats but it still gets killed by their Piloted Shredder. Problem is that this card just isn't "sticky" like all the other crap people run. The 3 drop against this card is Spider Tank which usually gets ramped up fast by Mech Warper or Naxxramus or Blademaster/Dark Cultist... both of which you will be seeing a lot of thanks to resurrect Priest. Overall Blackwing is good but not godly so far in constructed.

*Twilight Drake has been putting in work. It hasn't been silenced that often and if it does it takes the pressure off of the other Legendaries. I am thinking Twilight Drake will do more work than Hungry Dragon but we'll see. On average I have been playing it as a 4/6 but it's usually just there as a follow up to Blackwing Technician.

*Unfortunately in this deck Dragon Consort really has very few good targets. I got off a couple of early Yseras on turn 7 but it wasn't game breaking. It was more impactful for me to get out a 3 mana Azure Drake then play something else. If I had stuff like Onyxia/Chromaggus/Nefarian/Alex then this card would've done a lot more work.. The 5/5 body itself does work though even if the game is over before you get the effect off.

*Dr Balanced and Emperor do way too much work to not include in this deck. Ragnaros I put in and had always been doing work... giving me reach here and there.

*Would've played Tirion in this deck too if i had it.

Not too bad for a half assed dragon deck. If Rend Blackhand had even 1 more HP it would've been insanely good but right now it's just decent for Dragon Pally.

Ashodin

Yeah I feel like the Dragon Paladin deck's value/use will go up the more dragon cards you acquire, which is great for Hearthstone overall, as you want those cards to see if it's worth it (hint: usually is with the bigger dragons)

Skux

Using Dark Whispers in the Druid challenge... pretty fun spamming Wisps and then suiciding them for free Dragons and Volcanic Lumberers.

"Costs x less for each minion that died this turn" mechanics are going to give you some crazy tempo swings.

Already theorycrafting a Solemn Vigil + Volcanic Drake + Dragon Consort + Thaurissan + Consequality + Muster deck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom