• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

What deck did you guys use to beat Heroic Omokk? I've tried a deathrattle Warlock, Shockadin and Mill Rogue so far and can't seem to beat him.

Dahbomb

What deck did you guys use to beat Heroic Omokk? I've tried a deathrattle Warlock, Shockadin and Mill Rogue so far and can't seem to beat him.
That's the first one?

Face Hunter. Freeze Mage also works pretty well against it.

Also my most frequent kills with Rend Blackhand involved killing Emperor Balanced. No surprise as Emperor comes out turn 6 and Rend Blackhand comes out turn 7.

Grief.exe

That's the first one?

Face Hunter. Freeze Mage also works pretty well against it.

Also my most frequent kills with Rend Blackhand involved killing Emperor Balanced. No surprise as Emperor comes out turn 6 and Rend Blackhand comes out turn 7.

Do you have any examples of a good deck construction and strategy for some of these more commonly mentioned decks? Midrange hunter, face hunter, freeze mage, etc.

The Adder

Banned
Time for my spin on what I imagine everyone else is doing already!

Hearthstone%20Screenshot%2004-16-15%2020.19.39_zpsohfzhtxk.png

I don't know what I'm going to take out to add more dragon synergy cards. I think I might be satisfied with it as is.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Here's my current incarnation of aggro warrior. I don't know how competitive it is but it did a surprising amount of work when I tested it in casual.

46M3ajp.jpg

I'm a little unsure about the owl right now. Next time I play this deck I might swap in Arcanite Reaper instead and see if I like that better. If I do swap in an arcanite I might just swap in Bloodsail Raiders instead of the Amanis.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Started playing because of the iPhone release. Few questions.
So I want to main out a Mage deck, mostly because I like the cards associated, and not the power. I'm decked out with quite a few Taunt cards all the way up to 6, where after soaking up enough damage, I try to lay out all my +1 Magic Attack and modifiers behind my taunts and next turn (or same turn) demolish the enemy force with some spell cards. Usually the way my games go is that I either lose or am imminent to lose in the first 6 moves, or I literally stonewall them at 7 and they peter out a slow pitiful death while I whittle them down from ~28 to 0 while I'm sitting at sub-10.

Right now I don't need any deck building tips or anything too advanced, I'd like to figure this all out on my own for right now. But how do I up my survivability? I had an idea of just using less cards. I want some of those Secret cards the AI uses but I'm never gonna get enough Gold/Card Packs to farm those out. Where do I even get cards from anyway? And lastly, how much content is in those single player adventures?

clav

I keep losing because I have no card draw.

Someone was arguing why I had a drake in a paladin deck.

That's why unless I need to add a second Lay on Hands. I took out the drake in response.

At a match against a Druid, and he has 2 cards left vs. me who has 10 cards.

Now why do I need card draw? I'm missing Quartermaster, so I draw cards in hopes to get to a bigger minion when I can.

So I want to main out a Mage deck, mostly because I like the cards associated, and not the power. I'm decked out with quite a few Taunt cards all the way up to 6, where after soaking up enough damage, I try to lay out all my +1 Magic Attack and modifiers behind my taunts and next turn (or same turn) demolish the enemy force with some spell cards. Usually the way my games go is that I either lose or am imminent to lose in the first 6 moves, or I literally stonewall them at 7 and they peter out a slow pitiful death while I whittle them down from ~28 to 0 while I'm sitting at sub-10.

Right now I don't need any deck building tips or anything too advanced, I'd like to figure this all out on my own for right now. But how do I up my survivability? I had an idea of just using less cards. I want some of those Secret cards the AI uses but I'm never gonna get enough Gold/Card Packs to farm those out. Where do I even get cards from anyway? And lastly, how much content is in those single player adventures?

Taunts generally aren't all that great. There are a few really good value taunts (Annoy-o-tron, Sludge Belcher, Shieldmasta), but, for the most part, you're better off with just using minions that have good stats for the cost. Most people will attack your minions even if they don't have taunt so that you don't build up a huge board. Also, +1 spell damage isn't really that great of an ability. The only two cards that see any regular play with +1 spell damage are Azure Drake and Thalnos because they both come with card draw. The only way to get cards is from packs. If you want packs, you can either grind out the wins and do your daily quests every day, or you can pay money.

clav

Use cards that can cast magic/spell/upgrades + place a minion on the board.

That way you're not just holding onto a card specifically to buff stats.

This is the strat I hold onto since I play F2P Paladin (May change soon since those adventure cards are just too good although I may just learn to play arena). For instance, when I started I used to have a healing spell, but when I got better cards like Antique Healbot, my strat turned to a card that can heal for 8 and put a 3/3 minion on the board.

Defender of Argus is another classic game card. You can convert up to two regular minions to taunt status and buff them +1/1. Also, you get a minion to fight.

Strategy does vary on class though. Some classes like mages and rogues can get away by not putting many minions on the board due to powerful spells.

edit: Mage has a ridiculous number of secrets and spells. Ice block (prevent fatal damage for 1 turn), Mirror Entity (get a copy of what your opponent plays), Duplicate (gain two more copies when one minion dies), and Ice Barrier (gain 8 armor). You don't need taunts.

You can barely have any minions and win if you check out the Mage's legendary card.

Generally as a mage, since you'll be spell casting a lot, you want to look for minions that can buff your spell powers. You also want to draw as many cards as quickly as possible, so you always have the right spell to remove anything on the board.

You can get cards by either spending money/gold for booster packs and playing the adventure packs. You can also craft cards from dust.

The exclusive adventure pack cards will help your deck immediately once you get them.

I'm looking into making a Shaman deck after I finished my midrange Paladin deck since I like Shaman thematically a lot more.

Assuming both non-Mech and Mech Shaman decks, what's good to craft (both class legendaries?), and do I generally only need one Doomhammer?

Dragner

I'm looking into making a Shaman deck after I finished my midrange Paladin deck since I like Shaman thematically a lot more.

Assuming both non-Mech and Mech Shaman decks, what's good to craft (both class legendaries?), and do I generally only need one Doomhammer?

Doomhammer is not a staple on Shaman but is nice to have one, Its usually played on the burst shaman with rockbitter weapon and alakir.

The good thing about shaman its that doesnt have a lot of crazy expensive mandatory crafts. Just rares, feral spirits, lightning storms, manatide totems and you are ready to go.

About legendaries...I would say Neptulon its more played than alakir. Some decks play both but most of them play Neptulon at least.

About legendaries...I would say Neptulon its more played than alakir. Some decks play both but most of them play Neptulon at least.

It is, and I guess it'll be played more with lava shock.

I still think reincarnate shaman is best shaman, so alakir is still great in that.

Type2

Man i've really lost all interest in trying to play priest with the way the opponents have been pouring on the aggro. I might try a recombobulater build since the dragon stuff isnt doing priests any favors. Ive tried resurrect and it hasnt been too successful. If anything I feel as though shaman did/does it better.
The bright spots in the brm releases so far are zoo variants and grim patron warrior. I dont have the cards to make mill rogue but its always a pleasure to play against( I get one every 6-8 matches).

Playing against a druid, and is about to cast wrath, nothing happens, and now the card is sitting in the "about to be played" position and it has been about 10 minutes.

Uncool man, uncool.

Only thing worse than Hunter is Freeze Mage, and Tempo Mage, and Combo Druids and Zoo

Playing face hunters is enjoyable. You know what is coming and it is like a puzzle.

But yeah, any deck with a name is just as bad as the rest of them.

Except mech mage. Fuck mech mage.

Dragner

Funny, Freeze Mage is the only thing I play that seems to actually counter this aggro meta.
And Paladin in general.

Its funny, maybe Im the unluckiest but when I played Freeze Mage Paladin ALWAYS had lay on hand and at least one healbot (often 2) after alexstrasza...all this while aplying enough preasure to kill you...And loatheb of course, they always have also loatheb.

Mech mage is easy but face hunter is not, hunter hero power is enough to kill you even if you stabilize, you need to make it to turn 9 to alex yourself before dying.

As freeze mage Im happy of playing against Rogue, Priest Shaman...warrior is the nightmare, Druid is most of the time rough also.

Dragner

I wish Freeze Mage would just give up when they queue into Control Warrior.
Games lasts 20 min and Warrior always wins. So much wasted time.

I managed to win one game vs warrior with freeze mage...almost cried of joy.

He somehow didnt have removal for alexstrasza and had to use weapon + execute removing a lot of his armor, then thalnos burst for 19 and killing him for exactly lethal.

But yeah, 99% of the time you should just concede.

iirate

I just lost an arena game a few seconds ago and am not sure why.

I was aggro'd hard by a warrior, and was left at nine health before I was able to deal with their board and start to fight back. A couple of turns later, I'm at one health and have lethal set up and my opponent has a Silvermoon Guardian on board, and nothing else. I have a Noble Sacrifice. On their turn, the warrior attacks with the Silvermoon Guardian, my Noble Sacrifice doesn't trigger, and I died. Is there a bug I don't know about? Otherwise, what am I missing here?

Iryx

I just lost an arena game a few seconds ago and am not sure why.

I was aggro'd hard by a warrior, and was left at nine health before I was able to deal with their board and start to fight back. A couple of turns later, I'm at one health and have lethal set up and my opponent has a Silvermoon Guardian on board, and nothing else. I have a Noble Sacrifice. On their turn, the warrior attacks with the Silvermoon Guardian, my Noble Sacrifice doesn't trigger, and I died. Is there a bug I don't know about? Otherwise, what am I missing here?

Did you have a full board? Noble Sacrifice can't trigger if there is 7 minions on the board.

Lumine

Considering that you mainly interact with your opponent through the board I'm not a fan of playing with or against decks that avoid this. Decks such as miracle rogue, mill rogue and freeze mage aren't that much fun in my opinion. Unless I'm constantly playing against the same decks (face hunter) then I welcome the variation. :p

Grief.exe

I don't have any of these legendary cards required for these comp decks, or the raid cards for that matter.

I'm thinking about offsetting those with some high value neutrals.

ZealousD

Zoo worked pretty well. Especially the new zoo with Imp Gang Boss. Just keep your 1/1's alive and the effectiveness of his hero power is minimized..

ViviOggi

I don't have any of these legendary cards required for these comp decks, or the raid cards for that matter.

I'm thinking about offsetting those with some high value neutrals.

Yup, that's the way to go if you want to play midrange/control on a tight budget. Boulderfist Ogre and Stormwind Champion are the two most solid basic lategame drops. Some classes have another playable basic/common 6+ mana minion like Fire Ele, Temple Enforcer, Guardian of Kings and Ironbark Protector.

Also watch Trump's Teachings in case you haven't yet, link's in the OP. Each lesson features a basic deck for one of the nine classes which he then uses to explain key concepts of the game.

MMaRsu

Ive gotten totally addicted to this game. After installing the phone version I stepped up to the PC version as well.

Damn I never knew I liked these type of games.. But I've been playing a ton. Well not a ton since I only have the standard characters unlocked with the 10/20 base cards. But Im focussing on trying to build a good mage deck for now since Im level 20 with them.

Any ips for a bnoob?

ZealousD

Any ips for a bnoob?

Assuming you're asking what I think you're asking...

The OP has some things worth reading/watching in the "Beginner Resources" section. Trump Teachings is basically Hearthstone 101 when it comes to playing the game. I also give some advice on gold, dust, and real money management that would be helpful if you're in it for the long haul and you think you'll be playing the game for awhile.

clav

Thanks guys.

I enjoy arena, but I'm pretty novice at the game, so I never seem to draft very well, and typically only win 1-2 because of it.

Should I just go vanilla card packs or the goblins/gnomes?

Some people say 2 vanilla: 1 GvG. Others say 5 Vanilla: 1 GvG.

There are a few common neutrals in GvG that are worth immediately using. Piloted shredder and antique healbot are used in high-level play. Annoy-o-tron is a good anti early-aggro and late-game stopper.

Ive gotten totally addicted to this game. After installing the phone version I stepped up to the PC version as well.

Damn I never knew I liked these type of games.. But I've been playing a ton. Well not a ton since I only have the standard characters unlocked with the 10/20 base cards. But Im focussing on trying to build a good mage deck for now since Im level 20 with them.

Any ips for a bnoob?

In addition to reading the OP, I posted something this page (or last page depending on what forum version you use) about mages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom