• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have any of these legendary cards required for these comp decks, or the raid cards for that matter.

I'm thinking about offsetting those with some high value neutrals.

When you are starting out, the cards that you want are:

Faerie Dragon - Gives you a minion that might survive a turn or two
Shattered Sun Cleric - Gives your crap minions +1/+1 which can turn things around often.
Chillwind Yeti - 5 health is still hard to deal with even if there are better options these days
Boulderfist Ogre - If you are lacking in big bodies, these can get the job done.
Stormwind champion - Your win condition in a new deck. If you have some board control, slamming one of these down can take the match.

Other than that, concentrating on trading (taking out other minions) rather than doing damage to the other hero. Without the best cards, you'll have limited comeback ability and staying in control of the board is the way you'll win your share.

SteveWD40

When you are starting out, the cards that you want are:

Faerie Dragon - Gives you a minion that might survive a turn or two
Shattered Sun Cleric - Gives your crap minions +1/+1 which can turn things around often.
Chillwind Yeti - 5 health is still hard to deal with even if there are better options these days
Boulderfist Ogre - If you are lacking in big bodies, these can get the job done.
Stormwind champion - Your win condition in a new deck. If you have some board control, slamming one of these down can take the match.

Other than that, concentrating on trading (taking out other minions) rather than doing damage to the other hero. Without the best cards, you'll have limited comeback ability and staying in control of the board is the way you'll win your share.

Good advice.

Druid or Paladin were the decks I found had the best early game cards starting out, Truesilver and Swipe can win games and the hero powers are solid. Play Naxx if you can as well as Sludge Belcher is a great card.

mxgt

Banned
The video of Kripp fatiguing face hunter with rogue is absolutely glorious

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノBACK FROM THE JUNK HEAPヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Dahbomb

That first match he must have healed like 50 HP and STILL died to the Hunter.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Taunts generally aren't all that great. There are a few really good value taunts (Annoy-o-tron, Sludge Belcher, Shieldmasta), but, for the most part, you're better off with just using minions that have good stats for the cost. Most people will attack your minions even if they don't have taunt so that you don't build up a huge board. Also, +1 spell damage isn't really that great of an ability. The only two cards that see any regular play with +1 spell damage are Azure Drake and Thalnos because they both come with card draw. The only way to get cards is from packs. If you want packs, you can either grind out the wins and do your daily quests every day, or you can pay money.
Couple of things. I mostly use taunts so that I'm no in an imminent to lose position by turn 6. Because if they're aggressive, I've lost hard by turn 7. That was before I got the Spells part of my deck in order though. So I'll try again. And you say that about +1, but then that "Deal 1 damage to the enemy board" card (Arcane Explosion) turns into 2 damage, then 4 damage after just a couple of taunt card turns. Arcane Missile starts doing 6+ damage for 1 mana. Fireball does 9+. Then I clear the board and attack. I'll try lessening my taunt dependency and replacing them with secrets.
Use cards that can cast magic/spell/upgrades + place a minion on the board.
That way you're not just holding onto a card specifically to buff stats.
This is the strat I hold onto since I play F2P Paladin (May change soon since those adventure cards are just too good although I may just learn to play arena). For instance, when I started I used to have a healing spell, but when I got better cards like Antique Healbot, my strat turned to a card that can heal for 8 and put a 3/3 minion on the board.
Defender of Argus is another classic game card. You can convert up to two regular minions to taunt status and buff them +1/1. Also, you get a minion to fight.
Strategy does vary on class though. Some classes like mages and rogues can get away by not putting many minions on the board due to powerful spells.
edit: Mage has a ridiculous number of secrets and spells. Ice block (prevent fatal damage for 1 turn), Mirror Entity (get a copy of what your opponent plays), Duplicate (gain two more copies when one minion dies), and Ice Barrier (gain 8 armor). You don't need taunts.
You can barely have any minions and win if you check out the Mage's legendary card.
Generally as a mage, since you'll be spell casting a lot, you want to look for minions that can buff your spell powers. You also want to draw as many cards as quickly as possible, so you always have the right spell to remove anything on the board.
You can get cards by either spending money/gold for booster packs and playing the adventure packs. You can also craft cards from dust.
The exclusive adventure pack cards will help your deck immediately once you get them.
That first line is stuff that's really hard to do right now. With my limited card selection. But now that crafting has been revealed to me, I made some immediate changes. Especially considering just last night I received my own Defender of Argus card and bought a Violet Teacher card. I've actually been able to pull off Violet Teacher + Spell + Spell = Two minions + Defender. That felt pretty amazing. Shelled more spells, made more minions, overwhelmed the opponent.

I'm gonna get on earning those secret cards ASAP. Strong looks like an understatement.

I think all I need to do now besides implement the changes is figure out my hard counter. Granted, that's probably very difficult, because at my peak around turn 6, I generally have 8-9 cards and 3 different plans. Literally back up plans for my back up plans. I always wonder if uber fast turns freak out my opponent. I get like 5 card combos done in sub-10 seconds if I can.

Oh yeah. Legendary card?

Finally beat Heroic Drakkisath but only because he decided to play an Ogre Ninja and then kill it for 10 armor on the first turn when I had played Sylvanas. Victory over shitty AI feels bad man.

ViviOggi

It cannot be said enough how insanely fun Gimmick Warrior is once you've learned how to pilot it correctly

Couple of things. I mostly use taunts so that I'm no in an imminent to lose position by turn 6. Because if they're aggressive, I've lost hard by turn 7. That was before I got the Spells part of my deck in order though. So I'll try again. And you say that about +1, but then that "Deal 1 damage to the enemy board" card (Arcane Explosion) turns into 2 damage, then 4 damage after just a couple of taunt card turns. Arcane Missile starts doing 6+ damage for 1 mana. Fireball does 9+. Then I clear the board and attack. I'll try lessening my taunt dependency and replacing them with secrets.

That first line is stuff that's really hard to do right now. With my limited card selection. But now that crafting has been revealed to me, I made some immediate changes. Especially considering just last night I received my own Defender of Argus card and bought a Violet Teacher card. I've actually been able to pull off Violet Teacher + Spell + Spell = Two minions + Defender. That felt pretty amazing. Shelled more spells, made more minions, overwhelmed the opponent.

I'm gonna get on earning those secret cards ASAP. Strong looks like an understatement.

I think all I need to do now besides implement the changes is figure out my hard counter. Granted, that's probably very difficult, because at my peak around turn 6, I generally have 8-9 cards and 3 different plans. Literally back up plans for my back up plans. I always wonder if uber fast turns freak out my opponent. I get like 5 card combos done in sub-10 seconds if I can.

Oh yeah. Legendary card?
In my head your deck looks inconsistent and heavily reliant on combos that may not provide enough value to be worth the effort but it's hard to give specific advice without seeing the decklist.

Fixed1979

Finally beat Heroic Drakkisath but only because he decided to play an Ogre Ninja and then kill it for 10 armor on the first turn when I had played Sylvanas. Victory over shitty AI feels bad man.

Take it and run, I'm still trying to get by him, terrible experience so far...

In order for that to work, you have to have 2-3 spell damage minions on the board. You can't rely on that to happen with any sort of consistency. When I first started out, I tried the same thing, but it's just more effective and reliable to contest the board with minions than it is with spells. Minions also have the advantage of leaving something on the board that the other player has to deal with.

Oh yeah. Legendary card?

It sounds like you're holding on to way too many cards. If you still have 8-9 cards on turn 6, then you probably haven't done much of anything, and the other player could easily have gotten out of control by that point. Hell, most aggro decks would have already beaten you by then. It sounds like Freeze Mage would be a perfect fit for you, but I doubt you have most of the cards for it yet.

I was surprised that the face hunter in the second game toughed it out to the bitter end even though you could see maybe a few turns in advance that he was facing a losing proposition. I would've expected him to concede earlier.

Take it and run, I'm still trying to get by him, terrible experience so far...
You basically need the perfect hand to get you going and then dodge Twisting Nether. Sylvanas, KT, Sunwalker, and Force Tank were my MVPs.

I think he will just kill your first minion no matter what unless it's Sylvanas so her or Sneed's are good 1st drops. After that I think you need KT or Sunwalker on turn 2 to keep your board going unless he does something dumb like Sprint + Flamestrike for a whole turn.

sibarraz

Banned
Time for my spin on what I imagine everyone else is doing already!

Hearthstone%20Screenshot%2004-16-15%2020.19.39_zpsohfzhtxk.png

I don't know what I'm going to take out to add more dragon synergy cards. I think I might be satisfied with it as is.

Your deck is great, I love how it never feels like is losing steam. I made some changes though

u1MQ8us.png

I removed a divine favour because I saw that most of the time you had more hand than you opponent, this card should be more as a last resource card, but most of the time I always had this card sitting in my hand. at times even I had 2 of them. In his place I put an antique healbot since lots of times an aggro deck will had you at your last breath by turn 6 and 7

Also I changed malygos for alextrasa since I think that malygos requires to many conditions to make a good use of it, and I had to use my damage spells to remove things that were threatening to kill me

The rest of the deck is great, it works wonderful

Fixed1979

You basically need the perfect hand to get you going and then dodge Twisting Nether. Sylvanas, KT, Sunwalker, and Force Tank were my MVPs.

I think he will just kill your first minion no matter what unless it's Sylvanas so her or Sneed's are good 1st drops. After that I think you need KT or Sunwalker on turn 2 to keep your board going unless he does something dumb like Sprint + Flamestrike for a whole turn.

Finally got it a few games later, a counter spell saved my ass from Nether or else it would have been a horrible loss...then downed Rend first go with Handlock...

ViviOggi

I just played Tirion into KT into Loatheb, only clearing some of his minions when necessary. He probably would have nethered on turn 2 but hadn't drawn it, was blocked by Loatheb on 3 and after that his board was big enough that the AI wanted to keep it even though it did absolutely nothing.

Heroics are designed for you to trick the AI, nothing to feel bad about really.

Finally got it a few games later, a counter spell saved my ass from Nether or else it would have been a horrible loss...then downed Rend first go with Handlock...
Rend too me a few but finally did it with Molten Echo Mage. Had 4 Moltens out on turn 5 and then back to back Frost Novas the next two turns.

zoukka

Dragon Consort is legit.

I wouldn't play crap like Fairy Dragon and especially Blackwing Technician in a Dragon deck though.

KingKiller

Neo Member
Do the phone based iterations of the game allow you to play with friends on other devices? I've been curious but haven't tried it out.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Dragon Consort is legit.

I wouldn't play crap like Fairy Dragon and especially Blackwing Technician in a Dragon deck though.

Elaborate on why you think BT is crap?

IceMarker

YES! I had enough dust to craft a Legendary for the first time today! Ragnaros is MINE!

Dragon Consort is legit.

Here's what I'm using for a Dragon deck without having any of the dragon legendaries.

RoqO8zi.png

clav

Checkout Goblin Blastmage.

Can essentially AoE the board if your opponent has minions with low health.

zoukka

Elaborate on why you think BT is crap?

A vanilla Senjin is amazingly weak even if you play it on curve. If you don't... lol.

I don't play Twilight Drakes either. They don't fit in to the deck, Shredder is a better choice most of the time. Consorts, Azures, Alex and Ysera are enough dragons. Throw in a Malygos for the lulz. The egg is weak without buffs or a rush strategy.

johnsmith

remember me
This GIF accurately depicts the salt in this game.
You aren't kidding. Was playing control warrior and had to play a zoo that played doomguard,
into Dr Boom, into a sea giant. So much for being able to stabilize after he ran out of steam in the late game. Then immediately after that a mech mage that had 2 micro machines, each protected by an annoytron, and then he pulled a 3rd annoytron from an unstable portal, and of course I had no removal besides weapons. I wanted to smash my phone.

clav

You aren't kidding. Was playing control warrior and had to play a zoo that played doomguard,
into Dr Boom, into a sea giant. So much for being able to stabilize after he ran out of steam in the late game. Then immediately after that a mech mage that had 2 micro machines, each protected by an annoytron, and then he pulled a 3rd annoytron from an unstable portal, and of course I had no removal besides weapons. I wanted to smash my phone.
Almost broke my keyboard when I started playing this game.

Had to take a walk afterwards.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think it is absolutely hilarious that a genuine strategy for Drakkisath is to have Majordomo in your deck for him to mindgames so you can turn him into rag and kill him. Says a lot about the card.

IceMarker

I think it is absolutely hilarious that a genuine strategy for Drakkisath is to have Majordomo in your deck for him to mindgames so you can turn him into rag and kill him. Says a lot about the card.

I beat him after three tries! I got the dream hand for it too, SW: Death, Mind Blast, Mind Blast.

embalm

I've been thinking about Rend Blackhand the card and how maybe he isn't terrible.

BGH offers a 2 for 1 when he lands, his stats are average for a 3 drop, and allows you play more cards out because of his low cost. All which swings tempo immediately.

Rend offers a 2 for 1 when he lands, but his stats are poor for a 7 drop. His high attack does apply immediate pressure. At 7 mana it limits the tempo swing as you can't build much of a board behind him.

I think Rend will have more decks that contain targets than BGH, but you sacrifice the tempo swing. There are lots of viable decks that dodge BGH, but I wonder if they can afford to play around Rend or would even try.
Ramp Druid - Cenarius, Kel'T, and others
Mech Mage - Antonidas
Ctrl Warrior - Y'sera

Zoo & Face Hunter present the bigger problems. 7 mana 8/4 is a big waste when it trades for a few imps or a wolf rider.

Usually any card that 2 for 1s out of the box ends up played in constructed.
I want to try him out, but still feel the dragon selection is too limited to test theories. At the least we need Volcanic or Hungry to give it a shot.

Not without taunt it would.
What? The ability to pick up stats at a mana discount will always be good. It's why Tinkertown tech is in most Mech decks and something that large on turn 3 or 2 is difficult to battle through.

What happens with his hero power when he transforms? Do all cards go back to normal cost and mana crystals increment like normal?

zoukka

Here's my first draft of a dragon paladin. Seems to work pretty nicely, no real bad matchups so far beyond SMOrc hunter. Midgame works really well and it can compete with any control deck late game often with surprising tempo thanks to the consorts. I highly advice you to play another Consort, Ysera or Alex from the effect instead of Azures for crazy value.

FoxSpirit

The phone version is great on my SGS4.
Coming from Blizzard, the handling is top notch.

And then I have Draconian Wars from steam where the UI is so bad it prevented me from playing, though the game is supposedly good. And a bit overly complex which bad explanations which I would not have minded. But man, when I am unable to read the names and stats of my in-hand cards and examining takes an active zoom-in, zoom-out step for every single card that's just bullshit. No mouse over inspection?

I am actually amazed that you can have image scaling so bad it makes even bold text unintelligible.

So yes, Heartstone on the go, good.

sibarraz

Banned
Faerie Dragon is a great card against mech mage imo, since the only option that they had to remove is flame cannon they had to make a trade if want to remove him

Then you play cogmaster and they are screwed

ViviOggi

Faerie Dragon is a great card against mech mage imo, since the only option that they had to remove is flame cannon they had to make a trade if want to remove him

Mech Mage will gladly trade one of their 1-drops into a 2-drop

Mech Mage has tons of cheap minions to take out Faerie Dragon. They can play Cogmaster on turn 1 and then kill your 2 drop with their 1 drop. They can even kill it for free with Blastmage with just a little bit of luck. Worst case scenario for Mech Mage is having to trade Mechwarper for it, but they'll likely hit face instead knowing that you'll sacrifice your higher attack minion to prevent him from flooding the board with cheap mechs. Shielded Minibot is a much better 2 drop for Paladins because it practically guarantees a 2 for 1 when played on curve.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Heroic done... Rend was hardest imo.

Duster

I was jealous of those getting legendaries with their mobile apps, I tried and the rarest thing I got was a pretty golden common card. I thought my luck might change today but instead I got two ironbeak owls from a single pack which will go nicely with the one I already had.

egruntz

shelaughz
A vanilla Senjin is amazingly weak even if you play it on curve. If you don't... lol.

Erhm. Blackwing Technician and Corruptor will likely contribute to the core of all dragon decks, apart from dragons themselves. 3/5 stats are incredible for 3 mana. Not having taunt doesn't mean anything. Threatening minions act as taunts in and of themselves, and the jump between 4 health and 5 health is one of the biggest in the game.

Blackwing Technician will often trade 2:1. That alone makes it worthwhile. It's just straight-up value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom